• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you think the Anime sucks now?

Re: Why does the Anime suck so much now?

I was hoping this thread would be about people elaborating why they think the anime's gotten worse, instead of a My Opinions, Let Me Show You Them thread. :(

This. Come on people, let's have some actual discussions for once!

I think nostalgia goggles are definitely in play here, along with the fact that the first season played when we were really young and therefore had a lot lower standards.

I've recently watched a few episodes of Best Wishes (all the ones that mentioned the Subway Masters in some way, to be exact). Frankly, the quality was horrible when compared to other anime (although I tend to be picky and only watch high-quality stuff). However, it's reasonable to believe that the older, Kanto-Johto episodes also have similar quality. I've also watched the Destiny Deoxys movie recently, and it had really good animation despite being semi-recent, so the animation quality is probably not decreasing. In fact, I would probably even argue that it's increasing, since the advance in technology makes drawing a lot easier. I'm not too fond of all the CGI, but the colors of the drawn art are pretty.

As for the quality of the plot, I'd say that Best Wishes definitely had improved compared to the others. For one, Team Rocket is actually important now; after Johto, their antics just started becoming less and less evil and more and more useless, until it peaked (or should I say canyon'd?) at around Battle Frontier where they've completely stopped trying to steak Pikachu and was just going after everything that moves. They also stopped doing their old motto, which was kind of their signature move. However, in Best Wishes, they've actually made a comeback and are actually trying to steal Pokemon. There's multi-episode plot twists and everything (Meowth was actually pretending to be kicked out of Team Rocket).

On an episode-to-episode scale, I don't think the plot-quality has decreased. It's still the same old Monster of the Day, with some that are bad and some that are pretty interesting -- the Eelgym one, for example, was pretty mind-screwy.

They've been doing actual plots more frequently for a while, and the art budget's gone up significantly over the years. It's lately been trying to take itself seriously a little, which is what it is. Best Wishes lost my interest after I got the impression that goofy Team Rocket in the episode where Ash caught pokabu was a fluke. I plan on watching the episode where James caught a desumasu at some point? But BW isn't holding my interest.

Team Rocket hasn't actually been evil since, what? Around Ash's fight with Lt Surge? Saying 'since Johto' definitely isn't accurate; the lugia subplot had Team Rocket claiming to be superheroes and actively working against actual Team Rocket, and then there was that whole arc starting with Roketto-dan to Deribaado (um ... Dues and Don'ts, maybe?) with Jessie, James, and Meowth having been kicked out of Team Rocket for quite a while and they don't manage to fully get back in until after they've sold a lot of merchandise at the Silver Conference. Oh, and don't forget Jessie, James, and Meowth trying to raid the Lake of Rage base for food and then being used as gyarados bait.

The anime's not worse, exactly; I just find myself incapable of maintaining interest when Team Rocket's offscreen. I'd say it probably peaked late DP, what with episodes like the one with the evil togepi where Team Rocket has an actual rocket and the latter half of the episode is a Gundam parody. That shit is awesome.

The thing is, is that Team Rocket has idle time (I'm going on about Best Wishes here) where they haven't had further orders from either Giovanni (who has stepped up from Italian mobster to Crimelord...) or this "Professor Seger" guy. These points I assume are when they slightly revert to their past antics. But it does look as though the people who write the "story" are making the effort to make team rocket more villainous.

On Ash's case, wtf.

Honestly, the guy has traversed five (including Orange Isles) regions, and has raised a couple dozen teams, but he can't even make a serious challenge to an actual newbie. Plus with over 700 hundred episodes in the anime, plus like 13 movies, how is he still ten? Do they have a longer year, by like, what, triple?

Anyways, it's nice to see him actually working with that "gotta catch 'em all" idea a little more. It'd just help if they made it look as though he has more skill than he actually has, it is kind of irritating that everyone less Dent/Cilan seems to demean him somewhat at somepoint in the series (at least regular to semi-regular characters), Iris calling him a child all the time, Trip calling him the equivilant of a hillbilly, and telling him that he should know all these "basics", but do any of them even know what Ash is like, no. He has his own methods, like all other trainers, and moves at his own pace. In the end he always (less Kanto) evolves his pokemon well enough to pose a significant threat in the league/conference.

Anyways, that's roughly five bucks of my opinion on this.

End case: The Anime does not suck, it has flaws like all other shows, but it has developed beyond the previous seasons, and I like it.

I dislike it. I hate iris. Axew rocks. But the fact that's iris` hair tellls me she was raised by lopunny is annoying. And the way they make ash look like he doesn't know what he's doing is degarding to forever fans of the anime like myself. It's now for little kids. I'm not a little kid and i don't like it.

Oh yeah, contests...derp...

No but seriously, the only reason he doesn't think that way anymore is:
a) There are only musicals, and only in one city.
b) The interests of his travelling companions influence him somewhat. (i.e. May and Dawn were Co-ordinaters, so Ash picked up on that, but Iris is just training to be a Dragon master, whereas Cilan's a freak and has interests in literally everything...)

Cilan's a freak and has interests in literally everything...)

EXACTLY! Maybe that's why i hate cilan so much. And why misty is awesome. Misty is afraid of bugs. That's her weakness. But cilan... nothing.
It makes him seem unhuman. And then he talks about food, and i yell at my tv. XD
(My fav episode is 'scare at the litwick mansion' because of the way he got so scared...)

EXACTLY! Maybe that's why i hate cilan so much. And why misty is awesome. Misty is afraid of bugs. That's her weakness. But cilan... nothing.
It makes him seem unhuman. And then he talks about food, and i yell at my tv. XD
(My fav episode is 'scare at the litwick mansion' because of the way he got so scared...)
Out of curiosity, have you ever paid attention to James's skillset? It's. It's pretty ridiculous. If there is a pokémon-related sport of the day (contests, orienteering, pokéringer ... there's probably others, but that's what I can think of offhand), he is great at it. If there's an obscure skill needed (currently thinking of rocket science, what the HELL James, just because your family is rich does not mean you should be able to make and pilot space ships), James has it. Really, if James ever stopped thinking being in Team Rocket is badass, he'd ... probably be more competent than the rest of the cast combined. He's good at whatever he tries as long as he follows the rules, and usually he only starts breaking them after Jessie or Meowth suggests to. It's also worth noting that the only reason Jessie, James, and Meowth are no longer constantly in debt is that James sells merchandise for everything.

Misty's fear of bugs has always pissed me off. She has no problems going *____* at terrifying water pokémon, and then she freaks out at caterpie. I mean, sure, most bug pokémon would be completely terrifying, but most pokémon in general would be.

Out of curiosity, have you ever paid attention to James's skillset? It's. It's pretty ridiculous. If there is a pokémon-related sport of the day (contests, orienteering, pokéringer ... there's probably others, but that's what I can think of offhand), he is great at it. If there's an obscure skill needed (currently thinking of rocket science, what the HELL James, just because your family is rich does not mean you should be able to make and pilot space ships), James has it. Really, if James ever stopped thinking being in Team Rocket is badass, he'd ... probably be more competent than the rest of the cast combined. He's good at whatever he tries as long as he follows the rules, and usually he only starts breaking them after Jessie or Meowth suggests to. It's also worth noting that the only reason Jessie, James, and Meowth are no longer constantly in debt is that James sells merchandise for everything.

Misty's fear of bugs has always pissed me off. She has no problems going *____* at terrifying water pokémon, and then she freaks out at caterpie. I mean, sure, most bug pokémon would be completely terrifying, but most pokémon in general would be.

Despite James' amazing skillset, did anyone remember that he's tonedeaf? Yep, mister Master-of-all-Trades can't whistle a tune without fucking it up...

He also can't cook. That is like two things he can't do. On the other hand, rocket science.

ETA: Also, he's definitely not tonedeaf. He might not be able to whistle! But we have ample evidence of his singing ability. ... Also of his terrible songwriting ability COUGH COUGH LUCKY LUCKY COUGH COUGH.

Last edited:
I've been watching some reruns of Kanto episodes on a local channel and, honestly, the jokes make me giggle and I have fun remembering how much fun I had when I watched those episodes for the first time which was, like, 11 years ago. But I don't think they hold any value beyond that.

IMO Team Rocket should've stayed as the main evil force even if it wasn't in accordance with the games' canon. Team Rocket (the organisation) is so much better than Teams Aqua, Magma and Galactic... Though I like Cyrus as a character.

Out of curiosity, have you ever paid attention to James's skillset? / Misty/bug/gyrados/?

I do agree about the bug thing.

Also, i like everything James does. Maybe it's because i had a crush on him when i was younger and i'm not being fair.

James sounds like an old man now.

Every week day, i watch kanto episodes on Boomerang, and i cherish every moment of it!

When i tried to go through 30 minutes of black and white (the fishing episode today)....i.....just....wanted to switch to goosebumps, Dogs 101, or a pup named scooby doo SO BAD, but i forced myself to watch it.

The last episode i really like that was after johto was the battle frontier episode where max befriends a Ralts. Any episodes after that, i hate!

WHY MUST POKEMON SUCK NOW?!?! IT WAS PERFECT IN KANTO!!! =(

Oh, oh, wait! Lets sign a petition, right on TCoD. this site has hundreds of members on here, so we could try and get the show to be better!

James sounds like an old man now.

Every week day, i watch kanto episodes on Boomerang, and i cherish every moment of it!

When i tried to go through 30 minutes of black and white (the fishing episode today)....i.....just....wanted to switch to goosebumps, Dogs 101, or a pup named scooby doo SO BAD, but i forced myself to watch it.

The last episode i really like that was after johto was the battle frontier episode where max befriends a Ralts. Any episodes after that, i hate!

WHY MUST POKEMON SUCK NOW?!?! IT WAS PERFECT IN KANTO!!! =(

Oh, oh, wait! Lets sign a petition, right on TCoD. this site has hundreds of members on here, so we could try and get the show to be better!

Agreed.

ok, someone (not me) start the petition, then lets get a thousand people to sign it!!!!=D

:( Before you all go screaming that "the new show sucks, make it better", can you at least explain why you think the new seasons sucks? Why do you hate it so much? What needs to be improved on?

Back
Top Bottom