• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does a God of ANY KIND exist?

The way I see it, there is little to no proof that there is a god or higher being of some sort. That said, there's also just as little evidence that there isn't a higher being. With that in mind, there's just no way for me to take a side.
this is ridiculous and has been done ... D: HEY check this out
I propose this teapot's somewhere out there, orbiting in our very own solar system. It may be invisible and may even pass through matter! It exists. I can't prove it or provide evidence to support it, but you can't prove that it doesn't. You would be hard pressed to exhaustively prove that this teapot is absent, but this doesn't make my proposition that it's even an even game that the pot's out there because I can imagine it any less silly.

just because a thing could theoretically exist and you haven't dis-proven it does not mean you have the rationale to humor that it does :(

Last edited:
I believe there is a God- Or, rather, gods; the ones in Greek mythology. There's a completely half-and-half chance that there is/are one(s), and that there isn't. There's no real way to find out and still be perfectly alive at the moment, so unless some conspiracy begins and we get actual proof, we'll have to stick to our beliefs for now.

The problem of the "uncaused cause" remains whether or not we have a supernatural creator (ignoring for a moment that necessarily any "cause" of the big bang would be supernatural as there would be no natural), but that's no reason to throw up your hands and say "THERE IS A GOD", is it?

It is highly unlikely that any one Earth religion is correct, and there is most certainly not a fifty percent chance either way. The likelihood is that your particular god doesn't exist, and it's still unlikely for any sort of god to exist.

Like I said - problem of the uncaused cause, but that still isn't any reason to believe in God or other supernatural deities. And if there is one, it certainly won't resemble your parochial belief system's supreme deity.

The way I see it, there is little to no proof that there is a god or higher being of some sort. That said, there's also just as little evidence that there isn't a higher being. With that in mind, there's just no way for me to take a side.

Why are people always obsessed with compromise? Sometimes - very often! - one extreme is the right answer. The default position is "god doesn't exist". That's how it works. If you claim something, you have to prove it; you don't say "well you can't DISPROVE it so there is an even chance of it being true!".

But really, NWT got it right. Do you consider the existence of any other mythological creature - let's say unicorns, everyone loves unicorns - to be equally as likely as the existence of god? Because there is just as much evidence for unicorns as there is for god.

Why are people always obsessed with compromise? Sometimes - very often! - one extreme is the right answer. The default position is "god doesn't exist". That's how it works. If you claim something, you have to prove it; you don't say "well you can't DISPROVE it so there is an even chance of it being true!".

This particular sentiment is really fucking annoying because you can't disprove very much at all. With that sort of attitude absolutely anything can be put forward.

But really, NWT got it right. Do you consider the existence of any other mythological creature - let's say unicorns, everyone loves unicorns - to be equally as likely as the existence of god? Because there is just as much evidence for unicorns as there is for god.

And this one really, really annoys me. How is your god any different to unicorns? To any of the other hundreds (thousands? tens of thousands?) of gods that have had followers over the course of human history?

I-personally-believe that there is a God(that being the one described in Christian beliefs). But, a question comes to mind; Greeks,etc. all believe-just as strongly as we do-in their gods, so where does that leave us?

I-personally-believe that there is a God(that being the one described in Christian beliefs). But, a question comes to mind; Greeks,etc. all believe-just as strongly as we do-in their gods, so where does that leave us?

... Ancient Greeks. Modern Greeks mostly subscribe to the Greek Orthodox Church. As in Catholic, as in Christianity. There's a reason Greek mythology is known as mythology, and not religion. Just saying.

One (all) of you is (are) wrong. You all fervently believe in your own brand of delusion and you've all got pretty much the same amount of evidence (little to none).

To say "my religion is right because I think it is" doesn't hold any weight. The whole reason I'm an atheist is because I looked at the available evidence and thought "this is silly".

(Also what Midnight said)

It's a crime people think there's a distinction between them, really, although I guess you could argue that the "religion" is the structure and such of the priests and the various "church" bodies whereas the "mythology" consists of the beliefs.

... Ancient Greeks. Modern Greeks mostly subscribe to the Greek Orthodox Church. As in Catholic, as in Christianity. There's a reason Greek mythology is known as mythology, and not religion. Just saying.

I see,sorry. O.o

I think her point was that people today don't generally know Christian etc mythology as "mythology" and will sometimes get offended if you call it such whereas it's always okay to call ancient Greek mythology "mythology".

EDIT:
It's a crime people think there's a distinction between them, really, although I guess you could argue that the "religion" is the structure and such of the priests and the various "church" bodies whereas the "mythology" consists of the beliefs.
I like to make that distinction! But the "it's only a myth if nobody believes it anymore" one sucks.

Last edited:
I think her point was that people today don't generally know Christian etc mythology as "mythology" and will sometimes get offended if you call it such whereas it's always okay to call ancient Greek mythology "mythology".

EDIT:
I like to make that distinction! But the "it's only a myth if nobody believes it anymore" one sucks.

The distinction is indeed a good one to make, but when it's applied to a modern religion (eg Christianity) it's better to include the mythology with the religion, given that the church structure isn't usually the thing being discussed.

Plus Christians tend to get all defensive if you call their religion a mythology. Probably due to the lack of distinction people make in the first place! Oh well!

Ok, I'm gonna take the cowards way out and say this: We just don't know. We can't proves there is/are god(s) and we can't prove there isn't. Personally, I think the whole idea behind gods is too primitive for our modern society and that it's a load of crap. But hey, you never know...

Ok, I'm gonna take the cowards way out and say this: We just don't know. We can't proves there is/are god(s) and we can't prove there isn't. Personally, I think the whole idea behind gods is too primitive for our modern society and that it's a load of crap. But hey, you never know...

This is absolutely true. We cannot prove or disprove the existence of god. But, I repeat, why on earth does that mean we say "oh, I don't know, maybe god exists..."? The burden of proof rests on the religious. They're saying "god exists". They're deviating from the default. As long as there is no proof of god's existence, there is absolutely no reason to even consider the possibility.

On another note, it is impossible to prove a negative. Saying "we can't prove god doesn't exist!" is meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom