• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Experimental Pokemafia (INNOCENT WIN)

Re: Experimental Pokemafia (DAY 4)

The Pokemon feel a foreboding sense that this will be the last day of mystery as the sun rises. It does not take long for them to find the body of Wargle, a Corsola, killed apparently by being pecked to death.

Wargle is dead. He was innocent.
48 hours for discussion, or until all living players have voted.

Re: Experimental Pokemafia (DAY 5)

Oh no there goes one of our Healers :(
Yesterday Leafstorm said that she inspected Blaziking and turned up Mafia. It turns out that my suspicious were correct, then!

Lynch Blaziking the Adept.

Yeah, Blaziking the Adept. In addition to being inspected as mafia, he also jumped to defend Superbird on the last page.

Well of course! Blaziking. Easy decision.

And we have two inspectors left; what are your results?

Blaziking.

Since I won't be here, you guys might as well know I'm the Bus Driver. Aipom the Bus Driver, whoo!

*poke* You know, I might be completely insane doctor and get randomized results.

So, uh, not yet? Minnow, what did you get last night?

I'll go ahead and finish out the day and game since there's just about no way the voting tide will turn around in only 15 minutes.

The Pokemon, sure of themselves this time, send Blaziking the Adept, a Murkrow, to the guillotine. His head falls from his body, and the Pokemon see that he was the last of the conspirators against them. With a smile for those who survived and a tear for the innocent casualties in the struggle, the remaining Pokemon look to the sky as the sun sets. A shooting star shines brightly as it dashes across the night sky.

Blaziking the Adept is dead. He was Mafia.
The innocents win the game!

Before I give you the list of who had what role and who did what on what night, I'd like to give a brief commentary on the roles. Feel free to skip it.

I, uh... accidentally deleted from my reference document the roles that got cut, so I can’t tell you what Pokemon or ability each one was assigned. It shall forever be a mystery... (But I do remember that the Unnamed 17 was Delibird with Hustle for some reason. It was just about the only role that was based on what the ability does instead of what it’s called.)

Also, the role descriptions here are copy-pasted from my original document, which doesn’t have all the addenda that the signup thread does. Sorry, but it doesn’t matter much and I’m too lazy to go add in everything.

Mafia

Your role is Shuckle. Your alignment is Mafia. Your ability is Antagonist. You are the leader of the Mafia. During the night phase, you may select one other player to kill.

I thought Antagonist was too good to pass up, even though Shuckle didn’t make much sense as a killer. So I just handwaved it as Shuckle beats its victims to death with its limbs, or something.

Your role is Gligar. Your alignment is Mafia. Your ability is Hyper Cutter. You are the Mafia’s second-in-command. If the leader is killed, you become the leader and execute the kill; if the leader does not send in a night action, you may also execute the kill. During the night phase, you may select one other player to kill.

Your role is Murkrow. Your alignment is Mafia. Your ability is Super Luck. During the night phase, you may select one player to target. You will randomly either inspect, protect, roleblock, or kill your target. At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed the result.

Someone dismissed Super Luck as a possibility for the Schizo early on, but I felt it was kind of appropriate; the Schizo has to have really good luck in order to do what they wanted to do to their target. Tailsy was lucky enough to heal her targets both times she used it, but Blaziking had horrible luck; the only time he successfully got a kill was against EE, who was hiding behind someone and thus couldn’t be hit by people targeting her.

Your role is Skiploom. Your alignment is Variable, but initially Mafia. Your ability is Slip Through. You are a variable-like role with three separate characteristics and win conditions. These are affected by whether the Mafia recruits you or you are Synchronized.
* Initially, neither you nor the Mafia know who each other are and you cannot communicate with them. Your vote for a lynch counts twice, and your goal is to use it to aid the Mafia. You appear Innocent to inspection and upon death. If all other Mafia members die before recruiting you, the Innocents win and you lose.
* At any time during the game, the Mafia leader can choose to recruit you. If this happens, you lose your double lynch vote but become an ordinary Mafia member, appear as Mafia upon inspection and death, and can communicate with the Mafia. If all other Mafia members die but you have been recruited, the Innocents do not win until you have been killed also.
* If you are Synchronized before the Mafia leader recruits you, you become a normal Innocent without any extra powers, and can no longer be recruited. If you have been Synchronized, you win with the Innocents.

This would’ve been more interesting if I’d figured out a way to make it more appealing for the Mafia not to induct the Variable, which in this case they did immediately. The big block for me was that the Variable couldn’t know who the Mafia was because if it was Synchronized, then the innocents would have immediate knowledge of all the Mafia members and be able to pick them off without any trouble or strategy whatsoever. Perhaps if the Variable’s non-inducted form had been a Terrorist with knowledge of the Mafia, which died when Synchronized instead of becoming innocent. Eh, it’s something to figure out for the next person who wants to use a role like this.

As far as the ability, I reasoned that Skiploom was able to “slip through” the ranks of the innocents and look like an innocent itself. Yes, that was a stretch. No, I regret nothing.

In addition, one random member of the Mafia who is not the initial leader or the Variable will gain the ability Overcompetitiveness. He can only win under two simultaneous conditions: if the Mafia wins, AND if the initial leader is dead. The rest of the Mafia do not know who has Overcompetitiveness.

Superbird was overcompetitive and the Mafia, who were kind enough to let me listen in on their PMs, actually resolved this pretty peacefully; if Midnight was in trouble, they’d let her die so Superbird could fulfill his win condition, but he wouldn’t actively try to go against her.

In hindsight, it was pretty stupid of me to leave in Overcompetitiveness (which is actually an accidental misnomer, since the ability is really called Competitiveness or Competitive Spirit) when there were only two Mafia Goons; this meant both of them knew who had it, so if Superbird hadn’t been willing to come forward, Blaziking could’ve outed him. Not that it would’ve made much of a difference in this specific instance, but the idea behind Competitiveness would be more ideal, I think, in a large game with perhaps 7 or 8 Mafia, much like TV Tropes Mafia might turn out to be. (IIRC Vixie, the Lancer, in TV Tropes Mafia had this idea behind one of her tropes.)

Innocent

Your role is Furret. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Frisk. You are an inspector. During the night phase, you may select one player to inspect. At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed that player’s alignment.
Furret is a real Cop; he receives correct results.

Your role is Sentret. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Frisk. You are an inspector. During the night phase, you may select one player to inspect. At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed that player’s alignment.
Sentret is an Insane Cop; he receives opposite results.

I meant for the fact that Sentret was unevolved to be a bit of a hint that it was unreliable once people started roleclaiming, but the fact that I couldn’t use fully evolved forms for most of the Mafia as well as Togetic (because their final forms were Sinnoh-based, and not present in Johto originally) and Ledyba (because Ledian doesn’t get Jitter) meant that the whole everybody’s-fully-evolved thing went down the tubes pretty quickly.

Originally Furret was reliable and there would be two Sentrets, one Paranoid and one Naive. When I had to scrap some roles, I got rid of one Sentret and changed the other to Insane (reversed results), which ended up being the saving grace of the innocents.

Your role is Lugia. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Pressure. When all the Innocent-aligned inspection roles are dead (including the one who inspects dead players), you gain the power to inspect. You will be PM’ed when this happens. Once you gain this power, during the night phase, you may select one player to inspect. At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed that player’s alignment.

I was really disappointed that neither of the backup players got any action. Ho-Oh would’ve been a normal Doctor and Lugia would have been perfectly sane.

Your role is Corsola. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Natural Cure. You are a healer. During the night phase, you may select one player to heal. That player will not die if targeted by a kill. If a player is targeted by two Natural Cures, the player will overdose and die.

Your role is Blissey. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Natural Cure. You are a healer. During the night phase, you may select one player to heal. That player will not die if targeted by a kill. If a player is targeted by two Natural Cures, the player will overdose and die.

Your role is Ho-Oh. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Regeneration. When all the Innocent-aligned healer roles are dead, you gain the power to heal. You will be PM’ed when this happens. Once you gain this power, during the night phase, you may select one player to heal. That player will not die if targeted by a kill.

Your role is Granbull. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Intimidate. During the night phase, you may select one player to target. That player is roleblocked for that night.

Your role is Togetic. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Super Luck. During the night phase, you may select one player to target. You will randomly either inspect, protect, roleblock, or kill your target. At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed the result.

Your role is Dunsparce. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Run Away. During the night phase, you may select one player to hide behind. If you are targeted by a kill while hiding, the kill fails, but if the person you are hiding behind is killed, you die as well. If you hide behind a killing Mafia role you automatically die.

This was best explained in the Mafia roles index to which I linked at the top of the signup post; I kind of botched it in making this list. As I explained midgame, anything that targets the Hider misses if the Hider is hiding, but anything that hits the person the Hider is hiding behind hits both of them. I actually didn’t expect this to end up used as a litmus test for Mafia, but you guys were resourceful. Props.

Your role is Phanpy. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Pickup. The first time you are targeted during the night, you will pick up (copy) the ability of the person who targeted you and, if targeted by a kill, you do not die (that time only). At the end of the night phase you will be PM’ed with the power info for the ability you picked up. You may use your new ability starting from the following night phase.

I was kind of disappointed because Rai-CH isn’t infamous enough in the Mafia subforum for anybody to target her. Eventually she picked up the Insane Cop power (but only because it was randomized), but by then the Mafia were dropping like flies and the game was practically won already.

Your role is Ledyba. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Jitter. During the night phase, you may select one player to target. (This target will remain until you change it, so there is no need to continue sending night actions in future nights if the target does not change.) If you are killed, either at night or during the day, you will immediately kill your target in revenge.

Your role is Aipom. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Skill Link. During the night phase, you may select two other players to target. Each one is affected by everything that targeted the other; i.e. if Player A is targeted for a kill, Player B is killed, and vice versa.

The disappointing thing about this power is that nobody (except the one using it and the ones targeting the switched people) knows that it happened until the end when the curtains are lifted and everyone’s actions are revealed. This actually ended up saving Bachuru and dooming Tailsy fairly early in the game, and I don’t know why the Mafia never went back to finish off Bachuru.

Your role is Skarmory. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Keen Eye. You are a vigilante. During the night phase, you may select one player to kill. Your kill will strike your selected target even if the night actions are scrambled.

The big hint here was that Skarmory, because it has Keen Eye, can hit through scrambled actions. The scrambler ended up being cut, though, meaning this role/ability turned into a bit of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment.

Your role is Xatu. Your alignment is Innocent. Your ability is Synchronize. This is a Mason-like role. During the night phase, you may select one player to target. If the player you target is Innocent, they will join your Synchronized group. All members of this group know who each other are and know that they are all Innocent, but they cannot communicate at night. If the player you target is Mafia (or the Variable Mafia role after it is recruited), you will die but the rest of the Synchronized group will remain intact.

Of everything, this was the role I was most excited for, and in turn most disappointed in when it got no action. And Pathos ended up being pretty pissed, too, what with dying on the first night after getting such a great role. Whatever I decide to do with my next Mafia game, this role is coming back for sure, and hopefully it’ll get better mileage next time.

ROLE/PLAYER LIST

Shuckle ... Midnight
Gligar ... Superbird (Overcompetitive)
Murkrow ... Blaziking the Adept
Skiploom ... Flower Doll
Furret ... Minnow
Sentret ... Leafstorm
Lugia ... Seritinajii
Corsola ... Wargle
Blissey ... Mawile
Ho-Oh ... Karkat Vantas
Granbull ... Mai
Togetic ... Tailsy
Dunsparce ... Emerald Espeon
Phanpy ... Rai-CH
Ledyba ... Bachuru
Aipom ... Silver
Skarmory ... Littlestream
Xatu ... Pathos

NIGHT ONE

Shuckle/Midnight kills Pathos
Shuckle/Midnight inducts Flower Doll
Murkrow/Blaziking targets Tailsy (result: inspect; innocent)
Furret/Minnow inspects Tailsy (result: innocent)
Sentret/Leafstorm inspects Mai (reverse result: Mafia) (random)
Corsola/Wargle heals Bachuru
Blissey/Mawile heals Midnight
Granbull/Mai blocks nobody
Togetic/Tailsy targets Bachuru (result: protect)
Dunsparce/EE hides behind nobody
Ledyba/Bachuru targets Tailsy
Aipom/Silver switches Flower Doll and Seritinajii (random)
Skarmory/Littlestream kills Mai
Xatu/Pathos synchronizes Bachuru

Results: Pathos is killed by the Mafia
Mai is killed by the Vigilante
Bachuru is synchronized, message goes out to synchronized group
Blaziking is alerted that he inspected Tailsy (result: innocent)
Tailsy is alerted that she protected Bachuru
Minnow is alerted that Tailsy is innocent
Leafstorm is falsely alerted that Mai is Mafia

Following discussion, Littlestream was lynched.

NIGHT TWO

*Shuckle/Midnight kills Bachuru (-> Tailsy) (random)
*Murkrow/Blaziking targets Wargle (result: nothing) (random)
Furret/Minnow inspects Bachuru (-> Tailsy, result: innocent)
Sentret/Leafstorm inspects Bachuru (-> Tailsy, reverse result: Mafia)
Corsola/Wargle heals Superbird
Blissey/Mawile heals Silver (random)
Togetic/Tailsy targets Superbird (result: protect)
Dunsparce/EE hides behind Wargle
Ledyba/Bachuru targets Tailsy
Aipom/Silver switches Tailsy and Bachuru

Results: Tailsy is killed by the Mafia
Blaziking is alerted that he did nothing to Wargle
Tailsy is alerted that she healed Superbird
Minnow is alerted that Tailsy/Bachuru is innocent
Leafstorm is falsely alerted that Tailsy/Bachuru is Mafia

Following discussion, Flower Doll was lynched.

NIGHT THREE

*Shuckle/Midnight kills Karkat
*Murkrow/Blaziking targets Emerald Espeon (result: kill)
Furret/Minnow inspects Midnight (random) (result: Mafia)
Sentret/Leafstorm inspects Blaziking (reverse result: innocent)
Corsola/Wargle heals Karkat
Blissey/Mawile heals Seritinaiji (random)
Dunsparce/EE hides behind Wargle
Ledyba/Bachuru targets nobody
Aipom/Silver switches nobody

(Around this time I realized that I had accidentally been using kill/protect/inspect/nothing for the Schizos’ actions, instead of kill/protect/inspect/roleblock as was stated in the rules. This didn’t affect anything - Blaziking would’ve roleblocked Wargle once, but Wargle’s heal wasn’t important in that instance - so I didn’t call any attention to it and just quietly changed over to the proper kill/protect/inspect/roleblock.)

Results: Blaziking alerted that he killed EE
Minnow alerted that Midnight is Mafia
Leafstorm is falsely alerted that Blaziking is innocent

Following discussion, Midnight was lynched. Superbird became the Mafia leader.

NIGHT FOUR

Gligar/Superbird kills Seritinajii
*Murkrow/Blaziking targets EE (result: protect)
Furret/Minnow inspects Superbird (result: Mafia)
Sentret/Leafstorm inspects Rai-CH (reverse result: Mafia) (random)
Corsola/Wargle heals EE
Blissey/Mawile heals Seritinajii (random)
Dunsparce/EE hides behind Superbird
Phanpy/Rai-CH picks up Sentret/Leafstorm’s reverse inspection
Ledyba/Bachuru targets nobody
Aipom/Silver switches Minnow and Wargle (random)

Results: Blaziking alerted that he protected EE
Minnow alerted that Superbird is Mafia
Leafstorm falsely alerted that Rai-CH is Mafia
EE is killed

Following discussion, Superbird was lynched. Blaziking became the Mafia leader (and inherited the Mafa killing power, even though it wasn’t on the role list, just because I hadn’t thought that far ahead when making the roles, and given the inspection results, he was gonna die the next day anyway).

NIGHT FIVE

*Murkrow/Blaziking targets Seritinajii (result: protect)
Blaziking, with the inherited mafia action, targets Wargle
Furret/Minnow inspects Blaziking (result: Mafia)
Sentret/Leafstorm inspects Seritinajii (reverse result: Mafia) (random)
Corsola/Wargle heals Karkat Vantas
Blissey/Mawile heals Leafstorm (random)
Phanpy/Rai-CH inspects Blaziking (reverse result: innocent)
Ledyba/Bachuru targets Blaziking
Aipom/Silver switches nobody

Results: Wargle is killed by the Mafia
Blaziking alerted that he protected Seritinajii
Minnow alerted that Blaziking is Mafia
Leafstorm falsely alerted that Seritinajii is Mafia
Rai-CH falsely alerted that Blaziking is innocent

Following discussion, Blaziking was lynched. He was the last Mafia member, so the innocents win!

By the way, an asterisk * indicates a "strike" against a killing role.

Last edited:
This was a fun game! I enjoyed it heaps :)

I was kinda sad that I wasn't targeted until very late into the game, I was hoping that I would pick up a decent role early on. But I guess that's what happens when you're not very well-known in Mafia, no one wants to protect/inspect you XD

Hooray for innocent win!

I'm also kind of disappointed I never got to use my role power. Well, it's a good thing that the inspectors didn't die.

So I guess my Hider death was kind of pointless! And Wargle, I said not to heal me, haha :P But apparently Jack changed that, so it worked out anyway!

(Gah, I remember dismissing Super Luck for the Schizo because Togetic Schizo seemed weird, but I don't think I was the one who posted that in the thread)

But! This game was great. :D

ETA:

Unless Super Luck is the Schizo, but that makes even less sense. In that case, though, the Mafia Schizo would have to have the same ability and it would have to be a Murkrow.

Hahahahaha I am so dumb

Last edited:
Why did you kill me the first night, Littlestream? :/

It was fun enough to watch, I guess, but disappointing to die the first night.

Back
Top Bottom