• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Halloween Scavenger Hunt 2015 [ENDS SATURDAY 21st]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Halloween Scavenger Hunt 2015

Superbird:

Actions: 6/8
Candy Cornn: 1

LIT3ijg.png

The Bedroom Hallway is in a sorry state. Someone has torn a gaping hole in the wall, through which you can see the Entrance Hall, and the ceiling has been smashed through too.

From here you can enter any one of the five Bedrooms, or return to the Entrance Hall. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?

(If you're just moving between rooms, I suppose it doesn't really matter much if you command multiple movements in the same post. However, if you examine something or use a move, you will have to wait and see what the consequences are. Overall, I would recommend waiting for a response before you make your next action.)

Hm. Deru, how do you feel about checking out the room furthest to the left?

Superbird:
Hm. Deru, how do you feel about checking out the room furthest to the left?
Actions: 5/8

6wMFOFO.png

You step through the leftmost door. The room you enter is full of spare furniture - chairs, bookshelves, tables... mostly worthless junk, as far as you can tell. Everything seems to have been stuffed in here quite haphazardly, as if someone was in a hurry to get it out of the way. Come to think of it, this room isn't as dusty as the rest of the mansion. Has someone been here recently?

From here you can return to the Bedroom Hallway. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?

Eifie:

Actions: 2/8
Candy Cornn: 7

Q212vEz.png

The room feels colder all of a sudden. You're not sure if you're imagining it, but it sounds like quiet whispers are coming from the walls... and you get the feeling that someone is watching you. You stand guard by the door while Barfie hesitantly crawls into the bed to investigate.

After a while, you become aware that Barfie has gone unusually quiet. You turn around, and see that he has fallen asleep in the bed! You're not sure if the bed is cursed or if this is just normal Barfie behavior, but either way it's bad news. The whispers in the walls are growing louder and louder...! What will you do?

Aww, Barfie, take a well-deserved Rest.

Vipera Magnifica:

Candy Cornn: 2
HXRsq5a.png

a fucking whale whistles as she curls herself into a tiny ball of whale, before spinning and bowling into the pile of boxes. Normally she would have probably broken straight through the wall into the night beyond, but tonight she merely sends the boxes flying. Most of the stuff is junk that you toss aside - broken pokeballs, a jar of eyeballs, empty potion bottles, some kind of weird, stale candy in a blue wrapper - but amongst the litter, you do find two more pieces of Candy Cornn, albeit slightly bruised.

A1qQvOZ.png

From here you can return to the Entrance Hall. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something
Okay, let's go back to the Entrance Hall.

Superbird:

6wMFOFO.png

You step through the leftmost door. The room you enter is full of spare furniture - chairs, bookshelves, tables... mostly worthless junk, as far as you can tell. Everything seems to have been stuffed in here quite haphazardly, as if someone was in a hurry to get it out of the way. Come to think of it, this room isn't as dusty as the rest of the mansion. Has someone been here recently?

From here you can return to the Bedroom Hallway. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?

Deru, you can get the scent from the one candy cornn we have, right? See if you can use Odor Sleuth to pinpoint where there are more of them in this room. If everything in here was stuffed in recently, the candy cornn smells should be relatively recent too, right?

Guestrodon:

Actions: 3/8
Candy Cornn: 5

nImL84L.png

You head towards the eastern end of the Dining Hall, where you find that Totodile and her Pokémon have just knocked over one of the cupboards and are busy searching it for loot. They've left the cardboard boxes untouched, though. You pry one of the boxes open - it's filled with salty licorice. Disgusting.

You move on to the second box. When you open it, a thick, black smoke pours out! The smoke smells like sulfur and makes your eyes water, so you quickly take a step back and wave it out of your face. But more and more gas seems to well forth, as if there were an endless supply of it contained in that tiny box. There's no way to see what's inside the box unless you find a way to clear the smoke...

"*Cough*Cough* Damnit, we gotta stop whatever is causing the smoke. We do know that it is in the box, so use your technical ability to put out the source of smoke with a stream of water. Fire a Water Gun in the box!"

Ether's Bane

Actions: 8/8
Candy Cornn: 0
m2a9VI6.png

After a considerable wait in line, you and Viskran finally enter the Old Chateau to what can only be described as ... chaos. Haunted or not, citizens of Asber are enthusiastically tearing the place apart, digging up the floor, attacking the pot plants, and ... bullying a statue? You and Viskran exchange glances, but you're not entirely surprised. You can only hope the spirits don't turn vengeful towards the trainers while you're in here.

From here you can go north to the Dining Hall, or go upstairs and go west to the Storage Room, north to the Bedroom Hallway or east to the Library. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?

Library.

JackPK:

Actions: 6/8
sdilbMt.png

You climb the stairs and enter the Library with Bun Two Three Four. You can hear a distant, ghostly wailing, and as you stand in the doorway you can see books floating between the bookshelves, exchanging places. As you take a step into the room, the wailing stops and the books fall to the ground abruptly.

From here you can return to the Entrance Hall. Or, perhaps you'd like to examine an object, or ask your pokemon to use a move?

Hmmm... there's obviously something spooky going on with the books. But then again, this is (sort of) a video game and if I know video games, there is always something good in the trash can. So, uh, I'm going to go through the trash can, give its contents to Bun Two, and have her Fling it piece by piece at the bookshelves. While I carefully pocket any discarded candy for myself, heheheh.

Let's steal the painting with the Candy Cornn like the Thiefs we are.

-----
Faorzia:

m2a9VI6.png

You enter the Old Chateau with Tavvy on your shoulder, but only after a short wait in line - seems like the promise of exploration has attracted quite a few trainers, actually. The Entrance Hall is echoing with the shouts of trainers and their pokemon, as well as a few creepy giggles and shouts from what you assume to be ghost pokemon.

From here you can go north to the Dining Hall, or go upstairs and go west to the Storage Room, north to the Bedroom Hallway or east to the Library. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?
-----

Hey, Tavvy, can you Fly up to the ceiling and check for any loose boards or ghosts? Maybe you'll find something :D

Totodile:

nImL84L.png

Fluttershy lowers her head, takes a deep breath, and charges into the cupboard with as much force as she can muster. The wood gives way easily - she smashes right through it and ends up with her head stuck in the cupboard! The plates and wine glasses come crashing down, shattering into hundreds of pieces, but fortunately nothing lands on you. You pull Fluttershy out of the cupboard; she seems to be fine too, if a bit dazed.
A1qQvOZ.png

You reach into the cupboard and claim six pieces of Candy Cornn! Satisfied, you step away from the cupboard, careful not to step on any shards.

From here you can return to the Entrance Hall, or go west to the Kitchen. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?
Ooh, nice haul! Good job, Fluttershy. You will make a great vandal.

Let's see ... how about we sniff around that patch of dirt under the leftmost window? That looks suspicious.

Nira:
Let's go spoop it up with my pal Twilight Princess!

m2a9VI6.png

By the time you enter the Chateau, most of it seems to have been wrecked by other trainers already. Dust and debris are everywhere, and on the second floor someone's even smashed a hole in the wall. Twilight Princess chirps and hovers around you, feeling perfectly at home in the haunted mansion.

-----

Eifie:
Aww, Barfie, take a well-deserved Rest.
Actions: 1/8

Q212vEz.png

Suddenly the door slams shut behind you. The entire room begins to shake, and all around you, disembodied voices are laughing and howling. The black stains on the walls are moving now, creeping like shadows across the walls and under your feet. Barfie stirs fitfully in the bed, but still won't wake up. The shadows slide across the floor and reach toward him...

"Barfie!" you shout. "You have to sleep harder, Barfie! Bust right through and come out on the other side of sleep!"

Barfie rolls over on his stomach. Now the room is shaking so violently that bits of loose plaster fall from the ceiling. Ghostly voices wail and scream. The rest of the room's furniture suddenly lifts into the air and starts floating around the room as if caught in an invisible whirlwind; you duck and narrowly avoid getting hit in the head by the trash can. A pair of red eyes appear on the wall beside you, and then another, and another - all around you are red eyes, staring at you!

But Barfie remains sound asleep.

The shaking stops abruptly, and the floating furniture drops to the ground.

"I'm fucking done with this," says a ghostly voice. One of the shadows suddenly pops out from the wall and takes the shape of a Gengar! It scowls and prods Barfie with its finger.

"Yeah, me too," says another voice, and a second Gengar plops out from the wall. "I don't get paid enough for this."

A third Gengar slides down from the wall and pops out through the floor. "It's not even about getting paid," it says. "This is just ridiculous. I remember a time when we were respected for our work. I mean, the least you can do is wake up and pretend to be scared, right?"

The other ghosts nod in agreement.

"I reckon it's the movies," says the second one. "All those horror movies they let kids watch nowadays..."

While the ghosts chat, you notice that their failed poltergeisting has shaken the room around so much that Candy Cornn is now littered all over the floor!
A1qQvOZ.png

They don't notice you collecting the eight pieces of Candy Cornn. In fact, they seem so distracted that you could probably pick up Barfie and leave unhindered.

From here you can return to the Bedroom Hallway. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something.

Eifie:

Actions: 1/8

Q212vEz.png

Suddenly the door slams shut behind you. The entire room begins to shake, and all around you, disembodied voices are laughing and howling. The black stains on the walls are moving now, creeping like shadows across the walls and under your feet. Barfie stirs fitfully in the bed, but still won't wake up. The shadows slide across the floor and reach toward him...

"Barfie!" you shout. "You have to sleep harder, Barfie! Bust right through and come out on the other side of sleep!"

Barfie rolls over on his stomach. Now the room is shaking so violently that bits of loose plaster fall from the ceiling. Ghostly voices wail and scream. The rest of the room's furniture suddenly lifts into the air and starts floating around the room as if caught in an invisible whirlwind; you duck and narrowly avoid getting hit in the head by the trash can. A pair of red eyes appear on the wall beside you, and then another, and another - all around you are red eyes, staring at you!

But Barfie remains sound asleep.

The shaking stops abruptly, and the floating furniture drops to the ground.

"I'm fucking done with this," says a ghostly voice. One of the shadows suddenly pops out from the wall and takes the shape of a Gengar! It scowls and prods Barfie with its finger.

"Yeah, me too," says another voice, and a second Gengar plops out from the wall. "I don't get paid enough for this."

A third Gengar slides down from the wall and pops out through the floor. "It's not even about getting paid," it says. "This is just ridiculous. I remember a time when we were respected for our work. I mean, the least you can do is wake up and pretend to be scared, right?"

The other ghosts nod in agreement.

"I reckon it's the movies," says the second one. "All those horror movies they let kids watch nowadays..."

While the ghosts chat, you notice that their failed poltergeisting has shaken the room around so much that Candy Cornn is now littered all over the floor!
A1qQvOZ.png

They don't notice you collecting the eight pieces of Candy Cornn. In fact, they seem so distracted that you could probably pick up Barfie and leave unhindered.

From here you can return to the Bedroom Hallway. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something.

Heehee, success! And now for our grand finale!

I will lay out this sacrifice of five pieces of Candy Cornn on the ground as the points of a pentagram which I shall carefully inscribe with my fingertip in the dust. And you, Barfie... you will Snore! That's right! Just this once, I won't banish you to my mom's room back to your Poké Ball for snoring too loudly and disrupting my sleep! Your ear-splitting snores shall echo through the entire chateau, shaking it down to its very foundations! All will quake in fear at the mysterious rumbling noises filling the air! Surely this will help boost our resident poltergeists' self-esteem, the better to terrify the next visitor to Bedroom 4...

Vipera Magnifica:
Okay, let's go back to the Entrance Hall.
Actions: 4/8
Candy Cornn: 4
m2a9VI6.png

You return to the Entrance Hall, which looks like a bomb's hit it while you've been in the Storage Room. Hopefully you aren't all cursed or something. a fucking whale murmurs, echoing the sentiment.

-----

Superbird:
Deru, you can get the scent from the one candy cornn we have, right? See if you can use Odor Sleuth to pinpoint where there are more of them in this room. If everything in here was stuffed in recently, the candy cornn smells should be relatively recent too, right?

6wMFOFO.png

Deru nods, and takes a whiff of the Candy Cornn you've already collected. It's a weird smell, kind of like the cheap candy you get while trick-or-treating, mixed with creamed corn. Gross. Deru wrinkles his nose, but starts to hunt for the smell, nose to the ground. He follows the odour around the room, until finally, he comes to the bookcase. One particularly heavy tome, bound in green leather and gold fringe, takes Deru's attention. Deru cracks open a copy of 101 Graveyard Recipes for Bachelors and reveals -
A1qQvOZ.png

- a fake book! Instead of weird lonely recipes, there's a hidden cavity with four pieces of Candy Cornn. Awesome!

-----

Guestrodon:
"*Cough*Cough* Damnit, we gotta stop whatever is causing the smoke. We do know that it is in the box, so use your technical ability to put out the source of smoke with a stream of water. Fire a Water Gun in the box!"
nImL84L.png

You and CateGory stagger further towards the box, coughing and trying to wave away the smoke, which is quickly filling up the little room. CateGory fills his cheeks with liquid and squirts a jet of water into the box, which shrieks! The smoke clears away and gives way to a bit of steam, only to reveal a very grumpy Litwick sitting in the box. It glares up at you, evidently halfway through eating an entire package of Salty Licorice. No wonder that smoke smelled so bad!
CateGory frowns at the Litwick. "Hey, don't you know that smoking is bad for your health? Especially indoors with no ventilation!"
The Litwick rolls its eyes, re-lights its candle with a puff, and stomps away, phasing through the wall as it goes.
A1qQvOZ.png

When you look into the box, you realise the Litwick was sitting on six pieces of Candy Cornn!! Wow!!
From here you can return to the Entrance Hall, or go west to the Kitchen. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something.
-----

Ether's Bane
sdilbMt.png

Actions: 7/8

You and Viskran walk into the library, which is actually getting kind of crowded. As soon as you enter, the pile of books in the corner rearranges itself alphabetically by title, then alphabetically by author, then by dewey decimal, then by colour, then by length...

From here you can return to the Entrance Hall. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?
-----

JackPK:
Hmmm... there's obviously something spooky going on with the books. But then again, this is (sort of) a video game and if I know video games, there is always something good in the trash can. So, uh, I'm going to go through the trash can, give its contents to Bun Two, and have her Fling it piece by piece at the bookshelves. While I carefully pocket any discarded candy for myself, heheheh.

sdilbMt.png

Looking around the library, you feel your meta senses tingle, and decide to pick up the trash can and rifle through it. You were expecting trash, but instead it's full of ... bones? What the hell? You pass them on to Bun Two Three Four hastily, who Flings them at the books equally as fast. Gross. Each bone hits a book square in the spine (heh), and produces a funky, xylophonic sound that seems kind of familiar. This continues while you and everyone else in the Library nod your head to the beat until you run out of bones. Wait, how long have you been throwing bones? How long were you trapped by the feverish, spine-tingling beat?
You're a bit dazed, but you can see that several books have fallen open, revealing three pieces of Candy Cornn.
A1qQvOZ.png

From here you can return to the Entrance Hall. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something.
-----

Meursault:
Let's steal the painting with the Candy Cornn like the Thiefs we are.
Actions: 3/8
Candy Cornn: 3
m2a9VI6.png

You walk back into the Entrance Hall and straight up to that weird painting. Delve looks at the painted-on Candy Cornn, which doesn't really look like the rest of the painting - the paint's cheap and looks almost like crayon. Delve goes to scratch some of the flakey paint, when her hand goes in to the painting and grabs the Candy Cornn! She hands you the Candy Cornn in complete surprise and shrugs. All kinds of weird things happen when you're a ghost. She decides to try her luck again, and instead walks her fingers right up the path, all the way to the castle doors, knocks on the front door, grabs another piece of Candy Cornn, and walks all the way back again.
A1qQvOZ.png

The painting darkens now, and seems kind of dull and ... flat. From here you can go north to the Dining Hall, or go upstairs and go west to the Storage Room, north to the Bedroom Hallway or east to the Library. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?
-----

Faorzia:
Hey, Tavvy, can you Fly up to the ceiling and check for any loose boards or ghosts? Maybe you'll find something :D
Actions: 7/8

m2a9VI6.png

With an excited flutter, Tavvy leaves your shoulder and takes wing around the room. He circles the ceiling, looking for any loose boards, but unfortunately this ceiling is smooth, white plaster with fancy cornices. Tavvy settles on the chandelier and ruffles his feathers, looking for any spooky ghosts. Hello, the chandelier says menacingly, are you comfortable? Tavvy goes to respond but shrieks when he realises that he's come to rest on a Chandelure, not a Chandelier! The blue flames rise inside the Chandelure's body as it yells BOO! and Tavvy flutters away, terrified. Eventually he comes to rest on your shoulder again, panting. The Chandelure chuckles as a few loose feathers fall to the ground, and drops a piece of Candy Cornn to the ground with them.
A1qQvOZ.png

-----

Totodile:
Ooh, nice haul! Good job, Fluttershy. You will make a great vandal.

Let's see ... how about we sniff around that patch of dirt under the leftmost window? That looks suspicious.
Candy Cornn: 6
nImL84L.png

Pleased with your loot so far, you and Fluttershy trot to the other side of the Dining Hall in good spirits. The full moon is shining outside the window, illuminating this otherwise dark corner of the room. You examine the dust patch and notice there's a set of footprints that walk into the dust and ... through the wall. That's ... weird ...
From here you can return to the Entrance Hall, or go west to the Kitchen. Or maybe you'd like to examine an object, or ask your Pokémon to use a move?

Eifie:
Heehee, success! And now for our grand finale!

I will lay out this sacrifice of five pieces of Candy Cornn on the ground as the points of a pentagram which I shall carefully inscribe with my fingertip in the dust. And you, Barfie... you will Snore! That's right! Just this once, I won't banish you to my mom's room back to your Poké Ball for snoring too loudly and disrupting my sleep! Your ear-splitting snores shall echo through the entire chateau, shaking it down to its very foundations! All will quake in fear at the mysterious rumbling noises filling the air! Surely this will help boost our resident poltergeists' self-esteem, the better to terrify the next visitor to Bedroom 4...
Actions: 0/8
Candy Cornn: 15

Q212vEz.png

Barfie mutters fitfully on the bed as you draw a pentagram in the dust, placing a piece of Candy Cornn at each spoke. Barfie tosses and turns, the muttering becoming a dull roar before inhaling cacophonously in a deep, arcane snore. The room shakes again, and the window cracks as Barfie belts out another snore. The pieces of Candy Cornn each burst into blue flames, and the pentagram glows purple, lifting you and Barfie into the air...

"Okay, that's just about enough of that!"

The shaking stops and the Candy Corn withers away as one of the Gengar appears through the wall again. The other two pop into existence on either side of you, and take you by each arm.

"Look, it's one thing to ignore us while we're haunting you, but trying to out-perform us..."

The first Gengar grabs Barfie under one arm, and faces you, nose to nose. It grins an evil, many-toothed smile, and its eyes glow red as the pupils become slits.

"... is rude."

The Gengar begin to laugh as they swirl around, the books and furniture in the room spinning with you again like a whirlwind, and the laughter is the only thing you can hear, while the red eyes are the only thing you can see. The laughter becomes louder and louder, and you spin faster and faster...

... and Barfie is snuffling your face, wondering why you're laughing so much. You're sitting in the grass outside the Old Chateau near Central Asber, watching trainers line up in the pale moonlight. You don't really know how you got here, but you know you're not going into that Old Chateau again.

Thanks for playing! In total you found 15 pieces of Candy Cornn, but since you sacrificed some of them like a weirdo, you finish the Scavenger Hunt with 10 pieces of Candy Cornn. Hold onto those and wait until we announce prizes when the game finishes on Sunday.

Happy Halloween!

Vipera Magnifica:

Candy Cornn: 4
m2a9VI6.png

You return to the Entrance Hall, which looks like a bomb's hit it while you've been in the Storage Room. Hopefully you aren't all cursed or something. a fucking whale murmurs, echoing the sentiment.

You know what, a fucking whale? I have a feeling those rugs below the stairs could be hiding something. I'd like you to wash them away with a Hydro Pump while I check the mat by the front door.

(Are the red rectangles by doors in Pokémon games doormats, or the doors themselves with a weird perspective? I've always assumed the former)

Eifie:

Actions: 0/8
Candy Cornn: 15

Q212vEz.png

Barfie mutters fitfully on the bed as you draw a pentagram in the dust, placing a piece of Candy Cornn at each spoke. Barfie tosses and turns, the muttering becoming a dull roar before inhaling cacophonously in a deep, arcane snore. The room shakes again, and the window cracks as Barfie belts out another snore. The pieces of Candy Cornn each burst into blue flames, and the pentagram glows purple, lifting you and Barfie into the air...

"Okay, that's just about enough of that!"

The shaking stops and the Candy Corn withers away as one of the Gengar appears through the wall again. The other two pop into existence on either side of you, and take you by each arm.

"Look, it's one thing to ignore us while we're haunting you, but trying to out-perform us..."

The first Gengar grabs Barfie under one arm, and faces you, nose to nose. It grins an evil, many-toothed smile, and its eyes glow red as the pupils become slits.

"... is rude."

The Gengar begin to laugh as they swirl around, the books and furniture in the room spinning with you again like a whirlwind, and the laughter is the only thing you can hear, while the red eyes are the only thing you can see. The laughter becomes louder and louder, and you spin faster and faster...

... and Barfie is snuffling your face, wondering why you're laughing so much. You're sitting in the grass outside the Old Chateau near Central Asber, watching trainers line up in the pale moonlight. You don't really know how you got here, but you know you're not going into that Old Chateau again.

Thanks for playing! In total you found 15 pieces of Candy Cornn, but since you sacrificed some of them like a weirdo, you finish the Scavenger Hunt with 10 pieces of Candy Cornn. Hold onto those and wait until we announce prizes when the game finishes on Sunday.

Happy Halloween!

<3 Good work, Barfie! W-wait... stop drooling on those candies! How are we supposed to perform Science on them like that?!

Guestrodon:

nImL84L.png

You and CateGory stagger further towards the box, coughing and trying to wave away the smoke, which is quickly filling up the little room. CateGory fills his cheeks with liquid and squirts a jet of water into the box, which shrieks! The smoke clears away and gives way to a bit of steam, only to reveal a very grumpy Litwick sitting in the box. It glares up at you, evidently halfway through eating an entire package of Salty Licorice. No wonder that smoke smelled so bad!
CateGory frowns at the Litwick. "Hey, don't you know that smoking is bad for your health? Especially indoors with no ventilation!"
The Litwick rolls its eyes, re-lights its candle with a puff, and stomps away, phasing through the wall as it goes.
A1qQvOZ.png

When you look into the box, you realise the Litwick was sitting on six pieces of Candy Cornn!! Wow!!
From here you can return to the Entrance Hall, or go west to the Kitchen. You feel like there probably isn't anything else for you to find in this room, but maybe someone else will find something.

"Okay we don't have much time lef., uhm, what? Kitten? Ouch sorry I was joking, let's head to the Kitchen then!"

Nira:

m2a9VI6.png

By the time you enter the Chateau, most of it seems to have been wrecked by other trainers already. Dust and debris are everywhere, and on the second floor someone's even smashed a hole in the wall. Twilight Princess chirps and hovers around you, feeling perfectly at home in the haunted mansion.

Twilight Princess, start off by using trick or treat to see if we can scrounge any candy in this room before moving on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom