• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Has Pokemon Lost its Touch?

Has the anime lost its touch?

• Yes, I can't bear to watch the newer episodes, but love the original episodes

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • The newer stuff has its moments

Votes: 64 35.2%
  • It's just as good as before!

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • It's just as bad as before!

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • I don't watch the anime

Votes: 28 15.4%

• Total voters
Old episodes were p.cool
Half of Johto was p. cool
Advanced gen oh dear god

And I am going to be a derp and judge DP by the 2 episodes that I keep watching over and over and over and say that DP IS AWESOOOOME.

also Ash has a fricking Gliscor man, Gliscor is p. epic

Well the newer episodes aren't as terrible as the hoenn saga, and I believe this is due to Dawn being an actually good character....as opposed to may and her brother....*shudders*

I've lurked a lot and realize not a lot of people like Dawn, but I think she is about the reason the show is actually watchable now...because she is currently the only character getting any real development, internal conflicts, struggling in battles, etc. Plus since Ash has been derailed into nothing more than a moron and Brock...words fail me on how badly under-developed he's gotten, she's imo, a welcome addition. Though I wish the "chick" would actually do gym battles instead of contests. The one fight with Maylene was pretty random but I find the contests she participates in to be annoying. One thing I find annoying about Dawn is her so-called "friends". Kenny...good lord. He says that Dawn better not quit contests until HE beats her....ugh. Zoey..to me...just reeks of arrogance and...idk I just really dont like the character at all. Heck even Dawn's mother seems to lack support for her. When Dawn was fighting for her fourth ribbon I think, Johanna complimented her friends skills while she was beating dawn with that attract ability during most of the match.....words fail me. Not only that but Ash actually seemed to compliment Jessie during a battle between her and Dawn in one contest or battle...or w/e. Idk about you, but that just causes me to have great pity towards the character who seems to get little to no support from most of her "friends". Whereas previous girls in the series had more support (and popularity). But in a sense, this is good. Actually make the audience want to root for the character. This is something I missed about Ash's character. He was inexperienced, and rash, so we always rooted for him, the underdog, to win. Now he's just moronic. So yeah, I think Dawn makes the show better of this. Infact, part of the reason I do like the character is due part to the "pity" factor she brings. Maybe thats what the show needed.

Still, the show overall has lots and lots of redundancy. 90% of plots revolve around a random character that ash and co. feel compelled to help, just to beat team rocket and learn some lesson that never gets brought up again all for the sake of extending the length of the show. It gets difficult to even care about ash's gym battles because...like I said before, the overall character has been derailed to the point where he makes stupid mistakes in battles...90% of the time. Like for example, when fighting Paul's Gliscor with his Gligar...he tried to counter a Guillotine with Steel Wing....words fail me. Ash has been at this for how long? 3 regions and he still makes simple mistakes? He's NEVER developed if he's still this simple minded. Heck he got beaten by a Cherubi because of his careless-ness in a "sunny day". And then there's Brock who...just seems to be there for no reason. Couldn't they find another "voice of reason" that actually does his job of doing just that along with actually getting involved with battles and training.....and not sitting around, cooking for ten year olds all day? I dont know what to say anymore. These characters all have goals, but they NEVER achieve them, and it's getting tiring. Im glad TR stopped chasing after pikachu and started just stealing anything they can....but they need new villains...and villains that dont appear in everything just for the sake of appearances. I dont even remember seeing them in the last two movies, proving how pointless (to me) it is to include them.

Still..the battles have gotten somewhat better and more tension ridden, though the animation quality seems dependent on anime action backdrops and absurd amounts of CG to compensate for a lack of animation potential....unless ofcourse we're talking movies, which at that point I could shut up about that. Infact it's scary seeing pokemon animated so well that it literally puts other anime productions to shame....and the plots are complete failures after the first 3 movies. Im terrified of that.

Last edited:
I have an ernormous grudge against every character in the anime except for Gary. (yes and maybe even Tracey.)

damn i was a noob when i voted in the poll, i voted for the first option and regret it because i watch the anime subbed a lot now!
new series is p.cool, jun is badass, paul is a stupid bastard, the pokemon are actually getting more character development imo
the dub's as crap as it's ever been
kanto: AIM FOR THE HORN PIKACHU
johto: FINISH IT OFF WITH FALSE SWIPE
hoenn: THUNDER ARMOUR
is the sinnoh series actually staying accurate?? we all know about pikachu's ground type killing sprees in the first series

also byron is awesome lmao I LOVE DEFENSE

Last edited:
I LOVE THIS HOLE

wtfbyron.png

All I've seen of the anime is the first 40 or so episodes and a handful of D/P-series episodes, so I can't really compare anything to the Filler Islands/Johto/Hoenn series.

From what I've seen, though, the D/P episodes aren't any worse than the old episodes were. Actually, they seem to be a bit better than the old episodes. Still not something I'd want to watch on a regular basis, but there definitely seems to be some improvement.

All I've seen of the anime is the first 40 or so episodes and a handful of D/P-series episodes, so I can't really compare anything to the Filler Islands/Johto/Hoenn series.

From what I've seen, though, the D/P episodes aren't any worse than the old episodes were. Actually, they seem to be a bit better than the old episodes. Still not something I'd want to watch on a regular basis, but there definitely seems to be some improvement.

yes yes iawtc
people just need to take off their nostalgia goggles

Here's my take on this:

The 1st Season was the best. Lots of action, plots were unpredictable.
Now....the anime is sort of falling apart. It's gotten boring, in my perspective. The plot is almost always the same, going something like this:

1) Ash and Co. are walking to some destination, usually a city, when they meet someone. Usually it's an unknown person but sometimes it can be an old friend.
2)They come face to face with a problem of some sort relating Pokemon. It can be the person they met earlier's problem or just a....well, problem.
3)Team Rocket make a grand appearence and say their motto. They announce some kind of scheme to capture a certain Pokemon featured in the episode.
4) Ash and Co. defeat Team Rocket, solve the problem, and say their goodbyes to whomever they met, which we'll probably never see again (unless it's a recurring character).

There are some minor exceptions, but it doesn't happen frequently.

My second problem with the anime is that Ash is just getting WAY too powerful. He beats every single gym, and every battle you see Ash get into will probably result in him winning. He barely ever loses anymore. His Pokemon are also too powerful, especially Pikachu. I mean seriously, it learns Volt Tackle just like that? Also, every new season he just dumps his other Pokemon he raised in the previous season and gets new ones. Usually the starters for that region. The anime's not realistic anymore, game wise.
I know the anime's not supposed to be like the games, but I'm just used to the games, I guess.

I know the anime's not supposed to be like the games, but I'm just used to the games, I guess.

How so? If something like a cartoon is based off a game, then it should have at least SOME semblance towards the original source material, or else its just that in name only.

Fortunetly pokemon has been doing it's job of that....for a little while at least. Now pikachu is a rapist.

the anime has been inaccurate from the start
remember piakchu activating the sprinkler system in pewter gym to beat onix...? really now...

the anime has been inaccurate from the start
remember piakchu activating the sprinkler system in pewter gym to beat onix...? really now...

I thought they came on automatically in that episode >_>.

Still, thats kinda irrelevant to whats inaccurate from the anime to the games...

How so? If something like a cartoon is based off a game, then it should have at least SOME semblance towards the original source material, or else its just that in name only.

Fortunetly pokemon has been doing it's job of that....for a little while at least. Now pikachu is a rapist.

Well, I guess I meant to say that some, not all of the events in the anime were inaccurate from the games. For example, Pikachu's electric attacks somehow affect Ground type Pokemon. (One might remember that when facing Brock, Pikachu used electric attacks and with the sprinklers defeated Brock's Geodude/Onix combo.)

Now some of the new moives are good some I can not bear!
All the movies have flaws in them, some more than others. I like the older movies in the sense that the older ones had a little more action. I have seen both in Japanese and English, and that places an effect on me that says, "The japanese makes me feel a little better, but it still doesn't make sense."

Well, I guess I meant to say that some, not all of the events in the anime were inaccurate from the games.
Well, maybe that's because the studio wanted to make the cartoon better by "attempting the impossible, and the impossible has been made possible".

Back
Top Bottom