• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you had been born the opposite sex, what would you have been named?

Re: If you had been born the opposite gender, what would you have been named?

Sebastian.

I would have been Gunnlaugur

Salvatore

You people all have awesome parents
(Except Butterfree who probably just has an awesome nationality since Gunnlaugur sounds completely badass if you're not Icelandic)

Killian sounds like a bad-ass villain. "I AM KILLIAN. OCCUPATION: MURDERERRRR"

Whoah. Whoah.

I already wanted to change over two years ago? Time is fast.

(EDIT: I legally changed my name to Lynn about four months ago, for the unaware.)

Random invasion of your privacy moment but did you change your name on everything, like, passports, etc.? And around how much did that cost? If you did.

I would have been Gunnlaugur, after my great-grandfather.

Which is a pretty terrible name, in my opinion, so I'm glad I turned out female.
Gunnlaugur sounds like some kind of high-level dragon wizard, so I'm going to have to disagree with you on its awesomeness potential. :(

Eh, my parents didn't really decide to give me a name before they knew what gender I was.

I have no idea what my first name would have been, since I was the one who named my brother, but my middle name would have been Alan. My dad, brother, and oldest cousin all have that middle name, so I'm pretty sure its a family tradition.

Robin

My mum said recently that she wishes she named me that anyway because it's gender neutral and she wouldn't have to learn to call me anything different lol...

You people all have awesome parents
(Except Butterfree who probably just has an awesome nationality since Gunnlaugur sounds completely badass if you're not Icelandic)

Random invasion of your privacy moment but did you change your name on everything, like, passports, etc.? And around how much did that cost? If you did.

What. :( You don't even know what it sounds like, only how it's written! (It does not sound like what an English speaker would imagine from looking at it.)

Goon-luh-gar?

Gun [as in English] + Low [as in English] + Gurr?

Well, she just said it's not pronounced how you'd think reading it from an English perspective, so I guess it's, you know, not how you'd assume.

That's where Google comes in.

If by 'Google' you mean 'Google translate's vocaliser', that's very rarely accurate for the languages, including Icelandic, for which it has a generic automated voice. I mean it uses the same voice (and, indeed, accent thereof) for Welsh and, uh, Armenian, and many others!

If you're not, then please forgive me, and enlighten me as to how you solved the mystery of the pronunciation...!

I found a basic guide to Icelandic pronunciation.

...I never said I did anything clever.

Probably Paula/Paulina or Christina, based on my name and middle name unrespectively.

I mean, PAULA/PAULINA D:

awesome edit: The post number is Arcanine's Natl. Dex number. <3

What. :( You don't even know what it sounds like, only how it's written! (It does not sound like what an English speaker would imagine from looking at it.)

... Why did you quote me?

I likely would've still been named Farron, since it's a very unisex name :P

she meant to quote goldenquagsire right below you?

The actual change cost $137 Canadian, but all the updating of documents past that has been free. And yeah, I've gotten an updated health card, social insurance number card, and birth certificate; I still need to apply for a new passport, though.

Last edited:

she meant to quote goldenquagsire right below you?

Back
Top Bottom