• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Infractions Visible

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Members can now see a little red or yellow card in the bottom-right corner of any post that has been infracted or warned. This is to make it more open and transparent when people get infracted, so that members can see what kind of behaviour is unacceptable even when mods haven't publicly replied to say so.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post here.

What if the post has been edited so that the infracted part is removed? Wouldn't this indication be inaccurate then?

What if the post has been edited so that the infracted part is removed? Wouldn't this indication be inaccurate then?

that's not how it works! it's not part of the text in the post, it's a little rectangle in the postbit, usually if you hover over it it'll say 'user was infracted for this post' or something. you can't edit them out.

that's not how it works! it's not part of the text in the post, it's a little rectangle in the postbit, usually if you hover over it it'll say 'user was infracted for this post' or something. you can't edit them out.

I think he meant if the part of the post that caused it to get an infraction were edited out.

I think he meant if the part of the post that caused it to get an infraction were edited out.

... well it's gonna show who edited it anyway. It's not like people are going to think you've gotten an infraction for no reason just because you edit the wrong thing out. i would like to give our members a little more credit than that!

feature request: ability to report blatant mod abuse >:(

how about no

Last edited by a moderator:
... well it's gonna show who edited it anyway. It's not like people are going to think you've gotten an infraction for no reason just because you edit the wrong thing out. i would like to give our members a little more credit than that!

No, I mean, for instance, if a post offended someone and was infracted and was edited out, the actual thing that caused the infraction wouldn't be there. I'm not trying to question the integrity of the members, but infracted posts can be edited without malicious intent.

No, I mean, for instance, if a post offended someone and was infracted and was edited out, the actual thing that caused the infraction wouldn't be there. I'm not trying to question the integrity of the members, but infracted posts can be edited without malicious intent.

well it's not exactly going to change anything? people are still going to see you were infracted for the post, and if they can see a post was edited they're going to know if you edited something out anyway and probably assume you said something you shouldn't have. I'm pretty sure people will be able to catch onto that. it's not just to make an example of which posts we don't think are appropriate: it also lets users know when their reports are being acted on, too.

to be honest it doesn't really happen that often.

Last edited:
Excellent! Now I can stop editing stupid stuff into the posts I infract. (Although I have to admit I am infinitely more entertained by the way that MSPA Forums marks infractions...)

Can ordinary members click the infraction icon for more information, or only mods? If they cant, would it be possible to make the title attribute of the infraction icon the infraction reason? That way if people were confused as to why a post had been infracted, they could at least get some indication by hovering over the marker.

Can ordinary members click the infraction icon for more information, or only mods? If they cant, would it be possible to make the title attribute of the infraction icon the infraction reason? That way if people were confused as to why a post had been infracted, they could at least get some indication by hovering over the marker.
They can technically click it, but right now it will bring up a no permission message. It would probably be easier to let them view it than to add the title attribute, but either way would require mucking about with the code some more. I might later if I get around to it.

well it's not exactly going to change anything? people are still going to see you were infracted for the post, and if they can see a post was edited they're going to know if you edited something out anyway and probably assume you said something you shouldn't have. I'm pretty sure people will be able to catch onto that. it's not just to make an example of which posts we don't think are appropriate: it also lets users know when their reports are being acted on, too.

to be honest it doesn't really happen that often.

You're assuming the edit is to hide that they were infracted for the post.

Okay, let me state this clearer. For instance, I was infracted for a post that may have caused people to feel uncomfortable. I edited that part out (with permission from the moderator that infracted me) in order to prevent further offense to any possible readers. However, with this system, the post will still have an infraction, and as the infraction has been edited out, normal users may be confused by the post, seeing it doesn't have the infraction-worthy part in it but it is still marked as being infracted.

Okay, let me state this clearer. For instance, I was infracted for a post that may have caused people to feel uncomfortable. I edited that part out (with permission from the moderator that infracted me) in order to prevent further offense to any possible readers. However, with this system, the post will still have an infraction, and as the infraction has been edited out, normal users may be confused by the post, seeing it doesn't have the infraction-worthy part in it but it is still marked as being infracted.
But the post will still be visibly edited. That's what uv is saying.

No I am not! I'm saying that if you edit something out, the forums automatically tack on 'last edited by yiran at 14:45' or something so everybody is going to know that you've edited something out, and if you have an infraction for seemingly no reason, they're probably going to assume you edited out what you were infracted for!

It's such a non-issue that I don't even know why you're bothering.

edit: and really if you've been infracted for something really offensive in your posts, we (mods) are probably likely to edit it out anyway.

Last edited:
having an edit on a post with an infraction makes the presence of said infraction insuf indic, though, since it's difficult to distinguish edit before infraction, edit after infraction unaffects relevance, edit after infraction renders infraction nonindicative, so ??

I mean, I guess it's strictly at least as meaningful as not having had the infraction sign in the first place but

(wish for that edit-incapable could see post history? ... would not risk soul)

I think what people are saying about edited posts (and what a lot of the other replies somehow seem to be missing somehow) is that they can't see what it was the post was infracted for anymore, so they aren't able to use the infracted posts as a "this is what not to do" sort of thing...

This is to make it more open and transparent when people get infracted, so that members can see what kind of behaviour is unacceptable even when mods haven't publicly replied to say so.

...like the original post here said the feature was for.

People will know that a post was edited, but not what was removed... so when the offensive part gets edited out, the infraction tag becomes a mostly useless "look, somebody got in trouble!" mark rather than a way for people to get a clearer idea of what kind of stuff isn't allowed in posts.

If the infractions being visible is intended to be used as a guideline for members to know what isn't okay to post by seeing what other people got infractions for, there needs to be some way for others to see what the infraction was for even if the poster (or a mod) went back and edited out the offensive part afterward.

Back
Top Bottom