• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Microwave meals

How do you make tea and boil water for rice and pasta without it taking an absolute age?
... wait what how do you make pasta with a kettle? It surely doesn't go in the kettle? I just put the water and pasta in a pot on the stove and then put the lid on until it boils and then take the lid off while I let it keep going.

...You're supposed to wait until the water boils, then add the pasta in slowly so that the water keeps on boiling.

At least that's what my foods teacher tells me.

I usually heat up pizza, or make ramen or soup in the microwave...

I plan on investing time into figuring out how to prepare that quick pasta salad stuff in a microwave though since we don't have a working stove where I live 90% of the time (from what little time I've spent looking at the back of this stuff I haven't seen microwave instructions). I mean, all you do is cook the noodles in boiling water and stir it around and then strain it out and mix it with mayo! Surely if you can make ramen in a microwave you can make this stuff.

Put the water in a pot then put that pot on the stove (covered with a lid) until it boils, at which point put in the pasta.

My folks do have a kettle, but we only really use it for heating coffee water.

Sometimes, I boil the water in the microwave when I'm too lazy to wait for the kettle.

It takes my microwave 2 minutes to boil a cup of water, and 5 for the kettle, but I guess dorm room microwaves are really bad [I'm only in high school]

... don't, there's a risk of superheating water and getting yourself some severe burns. microwaving liquids to boiling point can be really dangerous!

Yeah, it takes about three minutes to boil water in a kettle (obviously, the amount of time varis with how much water you have, and with what your voltage is - in the US, it's very low and would probably still take ages), and then you pour it into a saucepan of pasta on the hob, and it's cooked in about five minutes.

You have to plan your entire bloody day around making a cup of tea if you're heating the water in a pan. Start heating it at breakfast, and you might have a nice cuppa right before bedtime.

Yeah but often you put salt in the water etc etc, and it also holds a bigger volume.

For tea I use a water boiler.

For boiling things we just use pan + lid. We do have a gas stove instead of a electric stove, though.

The kettle's for tea, but we rarely use it.

We have one of those single cup coffee makers for coffee and everyone worships it.

... wait what how do you make pasta with a kettle? It surely doesn't go in the kettle? I just put the water and pasta in a pot on the stove and then put the lid on until it boils and then take the lid off while I let it keep going.

Sometimes I boil the water in the kettle and then transfer that water into a saucepan on the hob so that I save myself 20 minutes of heating water up to boiling point. We have a gas cooker/hob so it's really quite good for keeping the boiling water hot once it had been transferred! :D

Freaking Ellios pizza, man. That stuff's amazing. :c

...Granted, I like it a lot better when it's in the oven rather than the microwave. But you can microwave it, so it fits here I guess :V

Ewwww microwave waffles? Doesn't that make them all soggy and... blech.

Anyways... It's weird I microwaved more when I lived at my parent's house, now that I moved out I actually cook my meals, rather than nuke them. Isn't that sort of the opposite?

Ovens cook from the outside in, whilst microwaves cook from the inside out. Some argue that food loses less nutrients when cooked in a microwave, however, I'd still prefer to cook in the oven/over the stove any day.

But for general reheating of leftovers etc. microwave all the way.

Not from the inside out. It cooks with the heat generated by making the water molecules in food rub together.

Back
Top Bottom