• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2012

Ah, ah, it is November already! I haven't started writing yet because I've been studying for a physics test tonight, but after about 10 tonight, I'm free(r)!

I'm going to continue an already-begun story, which may prove challenging because right now it's a mess; I haven't proceeded in order with it, so I'm basically picking a place in the middle to branch out from. I meant to print out the beginning and cut/paste it into a sensical (random aside: apparently nonsensical is a word, but sensical is not) order, but I haven't had time to do that yet. Maybe I can do that tonight after my test...

I'm really excited for this. I really want to get a lot written for my story; that's been the biggest barrier for me in getting anywhere worth showing with it. I just haven't written a lot. It's time for the physical story to live up to the story inside my head.

I wrote a grand total of 20 words yesterday.

I'll try catch up on the weekends. Not my fault I was obsessed with some books to read but that should count since technically it's the basis of writing ):

tl;dr Kratos whines about his writing neuroses and complains about the fact that he's a talentless hack boo hoo sob whine cry.
Well, suit yourself, but you're being something of a NaNo grinch, there. Moving forward is never pointless! But if you're doing fine with your GS fic idea anyway, then it's no big worry... for now. :P

2001 for me today, but I used up all my silly worldbuilding exposition o noes what will I write tomorrow??

A friend of mine I NaNoed with back in college is apparently doing it again this year, which is kind of a pleasant surprise. She's never won before, but she seems really psyched about things this year, so who knows? Should be fun, anyhow.

Really lacking confidence on my idea coming into today, but I started off and so far things have gone pretty well, almost 2000 words. All I have really is a concept and a beginning, so I'm letting the story write itself while I come up with better ideas.

450/50000

I started late and was crashing due to too much caffeine, so I called it quits for the day. trying to stop pressing backspace so much.

*cracks knuckles* I'm in. Started already and redoing a old one i tried last year. Woo.

...i should get to bed.

I'm getting so many good ideas!
...for parts of the story many chapters in the future :o(

But any way, considering my thorough tendencies and quasi-participation in the event, I'm off to a good start!

I'm getting so many good ideas!
...for parts of the story many chapters in the future :o(

Nothing says you have to write in chronological order! Sometimes I find it's best to write something that happens later and then build up to it-- though when I do it, by that time I usually end up re-writing it because of things that happened in the interim...

I got 2700 words yesterday. Hoping for another go like that today, since every bit extra I do is going to save me when November gets busier.

Wasn't actually intending to do this, but I started writing something on November 1st and then remembered that it coincided with NaNo, so I sort of unwittingly started. Trying for 1700 words a day, hoping for about 2500, so I have a bit of a surplus.

today sucked only wrote like 1100 words :(

so I'm still ahead but not nearly by far enough. aaaaand I'm stressing about lack of detailed plans. hell, my characters weren't even named until yesterday.

2021 today, but I just realized that my scene break markers (--) are getting counted as words. Whoops. >> Guess I'll just have to do a little bit extra every day.

Only around 2000 at the end of the second day (because my sleep schedule is weird), myself-- woefully behind.

Not yet to the point where I'm considering bribing myself with candy bars, but Write or Die Kamikaze Mode is starting to look attractive.

Didn't get that much written yesterday because it was Friday and I had to drive home and that made me tired. Today I'm going to write a lot of extra to make up for yesterday, and to have some buffer for tomorrow in case I can't get into the flow.

~1200 words written today already, aiming for about 3000 or something. I guess I can go and write some flowery, detailed descriptions. Gotta show 'em what the dragon world really looks like since I haven't written about it that much yet.

Well, as some of you may know, I'm attempting to finish TQftL for NaNoWriMo. So far I've written a chapter and a half, am ever so slightly behind because I was traveling yesterday, and hope to more than make up for that today. I'm posting daily progress on the Quest Blog if anyone is interested.

Man, it will be so strange when it's done.

Post your synopsis! (Or: what are you writing about?)

Here's mine:

Centuries ago Ellos burned. A terrible war lasting generations savaged the planet. Billions died and society crumbled in its aftermath. The fall of civilisation brought about a terrible dark ages of savage, brutal individualism and selfishness. This is not the story of that. This is the story about what happened after, when the world has begun to heal and people have had time to forget and misremember.

Kara Sorel is a young woman on a holy mission. Everyone knows the magic left after the Firewars, after the Cataclysms. Everyone knows it's been coming back, slowly. But Kara thinks she can make it happen faster. She left her island home with a powerful and important magical artefact, the Last Dreamer, on a quest to save the world against the will of her family and people.

Her sister, Asha Sorel, has been tasked with finding the rogue summoner and bringing her home. She uproots her life, takes a sabbatical from the university, and together with Vorg, her Vordrim clansman bodyguard, she must attempt to find Kara and bring both her and the Last home to face the Council and its will.

I'll have a go. I'm woefully behind and I doubt I'll finish but anyway.

Amidst overcrowding, civil unrest, and the declining health of planet Earth, humankind made its first lonely step into space. Luna was colonized and became the home world of the greatest universities and scientific think tanks. Incredible advances in neuroscience and computing led to the birth of semi-intelligent AI, which in turn led to even more discoveries. With a new wealth of knowledge and a grand vision for a multi-planet empire, humans went to Mars. During a routine mining operation, however, they found evidence of something they both hoped and feared was true. An alien artifact, buried deep within the Martian crust, proved that humanity was not alone.

Extensive research was spent on the artifact and two enormous technological leaps were made - "smart" AI and a possible key to warp drive capabilities. It was as if it was a gift-wrapped welcome to the universe. And yet, they still saw no signs of persisting life in the galaxy around them. Meanwhile, "smart" AIs vied for suffrage and social equity within the new Interplanetary Union of Sol, and were met with discrimination and second-class citizenship.

Now, Mars is the bustling new capital of humanity, while Earth suffers from climate change and extreme overpopulation and a new Venusian colony struggles violently for autonomy. So humankind once again looks outward, equipped now with rudimentary warp-capable vessels built in Martian shipyards, looking for new lands and a chance for peace. August Fairfield, a young "smart" AI technician, is leaving Mars with the IUS Gears of Sunset, an enormous colony-class ship, with nearly fifteen hundred other passengers to the Yoshida system in a previously unexplored region of the Milky Way.

Along with eir AI colleague Remus, August hopes to find answers to the burning questions: Who (or what) left the mysterious and wondrous Tharsis artifact on Mars? And what future can humanity hope for in the vast maw of space?

ETA: first paragraph

We had come a long way. Too far to be stopped, to be halted by our own shortcomings and our own shortsightedness. Our holdings were vast once; we were tribes, and we were kingdoms, and we were empires, and we were nation-states. And then we looked to the stars, and we were cast from our palaces. We thought we had conquered oceans, but as we looked into the vast maw of the universe, we saw that we had been playing in puddles. We saw that our reign was fleeting. But we saw also that, as far as we knew, we were alone. So as we looked to the stars, we saw something else. We saw our inheritance.

Last edited:
wow, your stories sound so much more interesting than my relatively silly dragon bullshit , haha
it's fun to write, so I guess it's okay :D

Here's some kind of synopsis-thing:

The setting is the normal world, more specifically some unnamed modern-day Finnish city, and the world of the dragons that coexists with the normal world. Normal people don't know anything about this other reality, and go on about their normal lives. Dragons, on the other hand, can travel between these two worlds, and when a dragon goes into the regular world, their appearance becomes mostly human. Because of the differences between dragon and human culture and physical abilities, some dragons have gotten too involved in the human world and have forgotten how to return to their own world.

The protagonist, Mauramo, is a dragon. He's noticed that the more dragons get humani-ized, the more his own world dies inside. He wants to do something about this, but has no idea how to fix this, so he seeks help from a regular human (he also has some personal problems he wants to figure out). As you can probably guess, his not-well-thought-out plan is not a very good idea. With his new helper, he ends up fucking shit up. Yay!

also, my dragons are wingless, feathered creatures that generally look like a cross between a chicken, parrot, goat and lizard. They can breathe fire though. :B

I've been hardly writing so far, really. :c But it'll be okay, I think.

Uhhhh my story is basically about Scottish magical girls being queer and fantastic. And then the main characters basically realise the whole thing is full of ~intrigue and ~deceit and have to track back to the beginning of the magical girl structure and crack it open from the inside. Kind of like Madoka Magica x Buffy s5?? idk I am having fun. Every so often I realise there are no male characters and do not give a fuck.

a protagonist is non-binary, of course! because in a 'magical girl' world, are there going to be some mistakes made? stay tuned.........

Back
Top Bottom