• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2013

Apparently I only come back to the TCoD forums for Nano.

I'm starting a new fic project (Digimon, as usual) and using NaNoWriMo as my kick-start to get my butt in gear and pre-write a bunch of it so I can keep up an update schedule consistent even when I uproot and move a thousand miles at the end of December.
(Incidentally, the project I was continuing as my NaNo last year was finished last month and clocked in around 300,000 words.)

I'm just afraid of stalling out-- it's harder to get going than it is to keep an extant story rolling. Inertia. I'm also actually afraid of going in with too much of a plan-- my biggest successes have come when I've leapt in with only the vaguest idea of what I was doing, and this time I actually have a decent plot outline and all that.

Which I will probably chuck out the window in record time, but still.

NaNo username is PlagueMD, same as here.

Phew! I was badly lagging behind for the first two days, because various distractions and Pokemon, but I managed to pull myself together and reach today's target wordcount. I hope I'll be able to fill my daily quota better from now on.

How are your stories shaping up? Has exciting stuff happened?

My protagonist has already managed to break into the place where the murder happened. After that, she also met the second kind-of-important character!
Not much in terms of actual action scenes, though. I have a feeling that shit will soon hit the fan :D

first day i can actually start my novel and i'm having real bad writer's block. I have an idea but i need to think about how to pace the storyline.

I've been having a hard time developing the protagonist! There's a lot of stuff I could do, but I don't know how to place it all together. Agh.

Hrk, I only have 700 words and I feel that this 'slice of life' story is starting out too normally. Or too blandly. Either way.

Aaaaand today was the first day where I just couldn't figure out what to write. I mean, I had a plan sitting right in front of me, but I just couldn't make it sound right. Ah well, I guess I'll have to revise it later.

Still not sure whether the story will finish before it hits 50,000. I hope it doesn't, that would be horrible.

Oh man I am soooo far behind. I have 1700 or so words but I'm really behind on quite the pile of homework so I'm procrastinating on both??? And the self confidence failure has already kicked in too, so.

I started writing the Worst Novel I could possibly create as a sort of therapeutic side project though, so there's another bunch of words I could potentially use to pad my word count if necessary. Whoops.

Yeah, so yesterday I wrote nothing. And today, I was afraid I was going to write nothing. But thankfully, at the end of the day, here I sit writing. What a pleasant surprise!

Current wordcount: 4,545 and still counting.

I prepared to be behind as I was away all weekend. Did not prepare for the sickness that would come afterwards; Stayed home from school today, but a few harsh headaches meant very little writing. Feeling a bit better now, but still way farther back than I would like to be.

Going pretty well so far. I was behind for the first few days, but as of tonight I've managed to catch up, which is... significantly better than I've done over the past couple years, heh. I've already knocked off the first short story, which was one that came to me just a few days ago and I thought would be good to start off with since it's a humor/parody kind of thing, and I find those particularly easy to write. I really had no idea where it was going and was just trying to write my way into the plot, but the problem with that kind of story is I can pretty easily set a couple of characters down and have them snark in circles for pages and pages, so I was thinking of cutting it off after another day or two if it still wasn't going anywhere. Then all of a sudden I found myself writing the ending. The story as it is now barely makes any sense, but I think now that I've found the punchline it'll be much easier to go back and rewrite it with an actual direction and structure in mind.

Now doing a sci-fi story that I've been kicking around for a while and which therefore has a bit more structure to it. Haven't gotten to any of the real action yet, though--just barfing out a lot of exposition. Looks like it's going to actually stay short, which is a relief... I have serious issues with ideas for short stories suddenly becoming novel-length. Filled with a lot of lolariously bad NaNo writing, too; found myself writing that people had been "tasked with important tasks" earlier, but whatevs, just kept going. I'll have plenty to laugh at later.

Last night I started getting a massive headache and feeling really sick, didn't write a thing :( If I was close to behind before, I'm definitely behind now D: And I'm going to my friend's house this weekend, and I KNOW there will be no writing :/ Uuugh, I need to pick up the slack :/

am doing it!!!!!

so far i have 10025 words. this is because one of the days I wrote double the amount I needed to, so now I am a day ahead. it's fun so far. Here is my prologue:

For the first time in a millennium it was free. Discord in the Song that bound it, a disturbance in the Dream – and it slipped its bonds. Time was of no meaning: one year or a thousand, its mission was the same. It fled at once to the ethereal realm and sought the Singers and Dreamers that had kept it bound for so long.

It came upon them soon enough, a blazing fire in the night. A display of light and sound and energy, so completely unlike everything else in the strange ethereal place. It slipped inside the conflagration.

The Singers sang in harmony. The Dreamers dreamed the unending Dream. Until – discord. A faltered note, a misstep in the dance. A cacophony of voices answered, loud and discordant and outraged.

Who disturbs the Dream/Why have you come/What is your purpose

It screeched at them in response, wordless and inhuman, furious. The response was unified, a harmony of untold thousands of voices.

We must not bend. We will not bend. Our Song is eternal, our Dream everlasting.

It howled. The Singers sang on around it, louder and more insistent. The heady beating of the drums, that ethereal music, droned on and on. It hissed at them. The Singers sang louder and louder, and it felt itself slipping away from them. It spat some parting words before the Singers cast it out.

All dreams end.

I had to delete a chapter, so I didn't meet my goal yesterday. I'll try and catch up today, though. Here's my prologue!

“Submit.”
“Never.” Gareen gave a turbulent snarl, but it did not dissuade the Prosussian king’s verdict. “The men of Prosus are not those readily associated with war, but we will not hesitate to don sword and spear for our freedom.” He trailed off, then tastefully added, “Albeit we do not enjoy war. We prefer gardening. Would you like to see my garden?”
“Enough!” Gareen roared. “I shall provide a final chance for you and your nation. Repent to the Rekhek Empire, or be slaughtered by the rage of an army a hundred-thousand strong.”
King Brombulous glared at Gareen with a spiteful expression, and they held the position for a matter of minutes. But these minutes were silent, and they dragged out for what seemed like hours as the men stared into one another’s furious eyes, unblinking.
Then King Brombulous burst out in hysterical laughter. Several minutes passed as the king’s cherry mirth rang out through his castle. The joyous conviviality induced similar gaiety among everyone in the grand building, save Gareen, who stood frowning. The very walls began to shake and shudder with the sound of a hundred cries of glee. The very structure seemed to be laughing itself, the torches on the wall blazing into amber infernos.
Then, as soon as it had started, it ceased. King Brombulous wiped a tear from his face, which was redder than blood. The silence was sudden and slightly unsettling, and it unnerved Gareen slightly.
“If you are quite finished,” Gareen growled, “I’d like an answer.”
Suddenly, the scarlet color from King Brombulous’ face drained and he became a grave white. “Hear me and hear me well, sveirms conas’betev lekshrme—leave this place and never return, else you wish to see your empire wither before you. It is I and my nation that live for freedom for one and all, and never shall we subject ourselves to anything but.”
“As you wish,” Gareen said, restraining the hostile emotions within him. “But pray well tonight, King Brombulous, for the gods may not smile upon you if you do not beg forgiveness of them before you die.” With that, he marched from the premises in a huff, cloaked in a scowl.
Curiousity overcame him, and he peered about the castle to see the subjects who had laughed so vibrantly—and was shocked to find that the castle was devoid of any men but its king and himself.

Most of it isn't that odd... Brom doesn't come back until a bit later, and he's considerably more grave then.

After a total of... five (?) hours writing, I've got 3,500 words in all. Really far behind, but I don't care. I was able to write 2,800 yesterday.

Been slacking off recently, I'm almost to five thousand and I'm aiming to write three thousand more today.

I hadn't written at all for the past three days! Well, I've been writing a relatively lengthy N fanfic which is taking my mind of of NaNo. Also, I'm in the beginning of my novel and it's soooo boring. I feel bad for anyone that decides to read it. If something is boring to write, I can guarantee you it's hella boring to read.

Because I was at a con for the first three days of November, I had to play hella catchup. 4k words yesterday and the day before, and I'm back on-track for word goals and back to writing 1,667 words a day.

When in doubt, I just break out Write or Die, kamikaze mode, no grace period. Because I hate myself.
Most of the time it's pure fluff, but every time I've done it, it's at least got me writing, and provided me a framework to re-write and work from.

Didn't write at all past two days D: I fear that if I don't write today, that I may be lost foreveeeeeer.

Back
Top Bottom