• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

Alright. I decided it would probably be easier for everyone involved if I just posted the personas that have been shown thus far here, and then they can be copied to the main memberlist at whoever's convenience.

Here are all the members, with those who have posted personas linked:
Amfibbian
Arylett Dawnsborough (Nonhuman)
Big Red Cherry Bomb (Pokemon; Male fursona; Female fursona)
Blastoise
blazheirio889
Bluwiikoon (Not a persona, but a main character that could be used to represent Blu)
Byrus
Cheatmaster
Cirrus
Crazy Linoone
Dannichu
Dave Strider
Ice the Frosty Cat
Kai Lucifer
Kinova
L'il Dwagie
Loffyglu
Mai
Mawile (Pokemon; Human)
Mhaladie
Mini Moonwalker
Nemec
Pentimento (Whivit, Pentimento)
Phyro Phantom
Pinestar
Pwneon
Saith
Spaekle Oddberry
Spoon
St. Christopher
RaiCH (Persona, Pokesona)
Vladmir Putin's LJ
Weavilefan#1
Zephyrous Castform
Zora of Termina

Anyone who doesn't have a link here should a) draw one/post it so we can draw you with the rest of the OS in group pictures or b) point out to me that I'm incompetent and where you have already posted your persona in this thread! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm on it!

I think we shouldn't really start with deadlines yet until everyone's got their persona drawn. Although maybe we should make a deadline for persona drawing.

I have a link to Sable's (er. Dwagie's?) fursona, actually, since I draw her a lot :3 I just sorta tossed together the ref drawings I did, and added a colour pallet and a full-body sketch for reference.

I'm sorryyyy, I've done some concepts for NewIce with Espeh but I still need to do Ice's farewell picture, not to mention I don't have access to the concepts right now because they're in Espeh's journal D:

Psymon! Here's my half of the art trade (make sure to zoom in)! It was fun to draw, and I'm really pleased with it. :D

I've also finished like... two other drawings recently. I guess my productivity is going up?

@Cirrus: Those drawings are really good! I've only had a quick look, so I can't really give any extremely detailed crit, but the first thing I noticed is that both of their faces seem a little bit wonky (especially on the second one, where one eye's higher than the other). I don't really know about the third one, because my computer won't load it for some strange reason.

Sorry for not being very helpful. :<

Also, guys, I kind of tried to redraw the background on the phoenix... which version do you think's better? The original, or the redo?

I have a link to Sable's (er. Dwagie's?) fursona, actually, since I draw her a lot :3 I just sorta tossed together the ref drawings I did, and added a colour pallet and a full-body sketch for reference.

<3 MAHN KITTANKAT IS MAHN SAVIOUR~ *CLINGS*

...Also Blu your style just makes me happy, you know that? :3 It's so clean and colourful and cartoony, and I love that cel-shaded sort of work you do.

............I am not helpful either aaaaaaaa :c

Thanks, you guys!

At least it's a simple job turning the orb back to its original self. \o/ I was just experimenting in preparation for that Dustox picture, really.

Haha, posting that list seemed to be helpful in getting people to post their personas. I'll update it in just a second. And I especially love Dwagie's. :D

Blu! Your style is very nice. I had a look through your dA, and you have a lot of cool stuff. :3 I like that Dustox, too! The effects of the light from the orb it's holding are excellent, and I love the translucency of the orb itself, as well. The only thing that threw me a little at first was the look of the filament inside the orb... might be a me thing, but it seemed a little discordant with the rest of the picture. After looking at it for a little bit it looked alright, but it struck me as a little off at first, for some reason.

As far as the backgrounds on the phoenix, I agree with Blastoise that the second background is better, but the first orb is prettier. The solid highlights are more realistic... or at least more in the style of the rest of the picture. I'm only going to crit the second background, because I think it's the better of the two; the aurora-type thingies are nicer, and the stars are... more small and realistic, I guess. I'd say that it's a little cluttered now, though, and that both the stars and the auroras are scattered a little too evenly about the picture. This may be totally a matter of personal aesthetics, I dunno, but I would say that going even smaller and more uneven with the stars and making just a few, large, more detailed aurora-things might be improvements. And this is just a suggestion, I don't know if it would look good or not, but the background seems to be deviating from your typical cel-shaded style; it might look interesting if it was really not like your typical style, might set it apart from the phoenix and make it look less cluttered. Then again, it might look terrible. Just an idea.

Still looks excellent, though!

Edit: Hah, sorry, I'm dumb; looking at the background on the second one again... really the only issue with the stars being too uniformly distributed is that it looks like there might be too many big stars, and those are a little too evenly distributed. I think.

Last edited:
Whoa, thanks for the big reply, Mhals. o:

I think I see what you mean about the centre bit of that orb. I don't know what I could do to fix it, though... it's like, it wouldn't be giving off any light without some crazy light thing in the centre, hahaha. Maybe if I simplified it down to a kind of pointy, star-ish kind of shape, if you know what I mean. Reminiscent of this!

Yeah, people seem to think that the solid highlights fit in more.

So... make bigger aurora things, and mess around with the stars? I think my problem here is that I don't really know how to make things uneven, per se. I just take my brush and randomly dot about for the stars... all I can really think of is just going around and erasing some of them, and insolating them a bit more.

In any case, thank you for the advice! when it comes to backgrounds I am just all GUHHHHHH. They're very clearly not my strong point.

Yeah, I have been letting posting in here get away from me. D:

I mentioned in my art thread just now that I am going on a trip until thursday - I've started working on a ref sheet but it is not very finished at all because I am a lazy procrastinator. I remember my last one was really halfassed, though, and I'd like this one to be better. D: I'm sorry if this is annoying/goes against any deadline that may be in place.

Randomly-selected people to poke at!

@Cirrus: You have an interesting style going there with the face on the Aeris pic, which is cool. I agree on the crit with the space under her neck being a bit too long; I might end up posting some of the tips I learned from the anatomy magazine a little bit later because they give this awesome trick to getting bodies (relatively) in proportion that I'm starting to love. :v

But yeah, bodies suck because you have to deal with things looking anatomically correct and being proportionate and everything all at once. My main suggestion for improving anatomy is finding reference pics of people in different poses and working from there. (posemaniacs.com is cool).

@BluWiikoon: I like the re-do a lot better, especially with the extra detail that went into the feathers. The aurora-ey stuff is generally a nice touch. :v I do think the first orb is a tad prettier, though, if only because is more cel-shaded style matches the rest of the picture a lot better. Also dude I love that Dustox.

@FMC: The design for Sable's persona is awesome and looks especially cool in your style. :> I really like those little curvy creepy smiley mouths you do.

yeah sorry if this post is really incoherent. :c

Who wants to have their eyes bleed? (ref sheet)
Aww! It's not that bad. I'm quite impressed, actually. You've got proportions down mostly all right, except for... some shortish legs. Legs are generally longer. Also, thumbs up for barefoot and gloves!

Is Sable supposed to be a taily-po? 'Cause. That's what she looks like. Anyways, it's adorable in a creepy way. Something that you're quite awesome at. :3 I really like the tail and the colouring. And the spindly claws and ear floof. Ahaha.

Psymon! Here's my half of the art trade (make sure to zoom in)! It was fun to draw, and I'm really pleased with it. :D

Also, guys, I kind of tried to redraw the background on the phoenix... which version do you think's better? The original, or the redo?
Dustox is pretty excellent! I like the scribbly light... although at the same time, it looks kinda weird in comparison to the really perfectly crisp circle outline around it. The illumination is good. Seriously, nice highlighting and shading.

I actually like both orbs about the same... for some reason. I can't decide which one I like the most. But the second one, as everyone has said, has a better background. It looks more realistic. And I like the little arcs of light coming off of the phoenix. Good job!

...And you may be wondering where I was today? I was doing my ref. It took a really really really long time. Why? Because I'm insane and I decided to draw it entirely by laptop mouse. I'm not kidding you. I don't have a tablet... so... it was painful. I'm not sure why I did that, I'm nuts. I won't be digitalizing anything for a while after this mammothness.

My reference. If any outlines are screwed up, blame the mouse. Also, it's called "Mourmedy" because that's what I call this outfit. Yes, my outfit has a name. I referenced pictures of myself extensively to ensure that it was about to my right proportions. Also, I do have a watch, scarf, and tanktop (minus the AMC) in real life like that.

I bezive ze term iz

"Vat ze ell, vi zall join zu"

Lolspeak for the win

Anyway, I might as well join, I do a bit of random scribbling in my spare time. And somewhere I have my old PokéSona pic, I'm gunna go find and update it

:D I love it! The orb thing in the centre looks really nice, and I absolutely love the shading. You've somehow made it evil yet somehow adorable at the same time. It just generally looks awesome.
This is my half. Not as fantasimazing as yours, but I still like it. I've been experimenting with some shading techniques on this one so that might be a bit off. I hate the moustache though. It took me three tries to get that moustache looking Okay-ish. SWALOT WHY DO YOU HAVE A MOUSTACHE THAT IS HARD TO DRAW. WHYYYYYYYYY.

Zruh, I totally did not notice the OSers were back up OTL;; Count me in?

I'm on my brother's laptop at the moment so I can't find the link to my ref picture, but I know I posted it in the old OSers thread.

I'll be reading this thread later to catch up~ It's nice to be back!

(Second time typing this out because the forum ate the first one arrgh.)

Persona!

@ Arylett: ... o_o A mouse. Why do you do these things to your poor hand? The end result is pretty impressive but still a bit bonkers. Your anatomy is definitely improving (heads/arms/torso in particular) but the feet here are a bit wonky; they're positioned at an awkward angle for the facing-forward pose. The folds in the clothing are good (enhanced by the colouring, particularly on the red shirt) although the creases in the white/AMC shirt are a little extreme; I think you'd have to be extremely hunched over for them to run horizontally all the way down like that. Don't get me wrong, they are effective - just seem to be running in an odd direction.

@ Psymon: That Swalot made me giggle. I can see him adjusting a monocle as he smoothes his moustache.

@ Blu: I love the lighting on that Dustox picture; the bright colours really make it seem to loom out of the darkness. The orb threw me off when I first looked at it (I think it was just due to the big contrast between the thick lineart of the rest of the piece and the thin scribbly lines inside the orb) but it becomes more interesting than off-putting when you take a closer look and can see the detail behind (kind of looks like the area behind teh orb has been taken to with a giant 'Sharpen' tool, but it works).

@ Cirrus: I think your pieces have been critted pretty thoroughly already, so I'll just say welcome and that you have a cool style - I really like the fairly realistic appraoch you've taken to Aeris, particularly on her hair.

Thanks Cake. ^^ I just like... tormenting my hand, apparently. As for the feet, yeah, I got lazy on them because at that point, I just didn't care because of the mouse effort. BUT! I did do a bit of fixing. I mean, I didn't fix the feet because to be honest, it'd take a whole lot of effort and I'd probably have to redraw them and well, it's a very precise sort of drawing that I really don't want to do with my mouse again. Hopefully... the shirt folds look better. I also was really bugged by the shoulders and hair, so I redid them. Is the result better?

Also, your Persona's cute. :3 Plaid is always awesome. The thighs look a bit thick and stiff though and the left eye a bit too big, as well as the feet being kinda small, and the left hand being sort of wonky perspective wise (looks... strangely flat). But I absolutely love the hair.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to Blazhy~ Your persona's still awesome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom