• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Yeah, go ahead. Battle histories are now also shown in the database (though not reffing histories yet), so you'd be able to find, say, all the battles someone's won anyway, but there's nothing wrong with tagging stuff anyway.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that, haha. This new database really streamlines things a lot. Kudos to Zhorken on that.

I think that's something Zhorken would know, but I'd assume yes, otherwise it'd be the dumbest of dumb items.

It doesn't.

That's how it works in the games, too. Which is why, in the games, people use Choice Scarf Ditto instead of Quick Powder ditto, or Metal Powder ditto.

I know Quick and Metal Powder don't work post-Transform in-game but they totally should in ASB, because otherwise like Pathos said they're completely useless.

I know Quick and Metal Powder don't work post-Transform in-game but they totally should in ASB, because otherwise like Pathos said they're completely useless.

Aren't they completely useless in the game, too? (Not that I have a problem with them working after using Transform, but I'm just wondering why they exist here at all.)

As far as I'm aware, the Ditto-specific items were intended as (somewhat half-assed) solutions to the difficulty of actually Transforming before your mark has either KO'd Ditto or dealt a lot of damage to it. Considering that, I'd say that, by default, the items would have to work on untransformed Ditto specifically, although the paradigm in ASB is one where it's much easier to Transform without as much of a hitch. We can discuss changes to the effect, of course, but it's probably best to do so in the Suggestion Box instead.

Does Avalanche still have its base power doubled if the user's Substitute took damage that action?

Bumping this question, since it's relevant in a battle I'm reffing but seems to have been missed.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this, but Avalanche's summary and description differ slightly - the summary states that the damage the user must take for the power boost can be from any source, but the description says that the user must take damage from its target. Which is correct?

Bumping this question, since it's relevant in a battle I'm reffing but seems to have been missed.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this, but Avalanche's summary and description differ slightly - the summary states that the damage the user must take for the power boost can be from any source, but the description says that the user must take damage from its target. Which is correct?

I'm like 80% sure it doubles for Sub damage, yes. And Veekun's description says it has to have taken damage from the target and the target has to have been the last pokemon to have damaged the user.

How exactly do multi-hit moves (especially those with 1% base damage) interact with STAB, Sp./Attack increases, type trinkets, base damage boosting abilities, ect?

How exactly do multi-hit moves (especially those with 1% base damage) interact with STAB, Sp./Attack increases, type trinkets, base damage boosting abilities, ect?

First, calculate the total damage they would do based on how many hits they scored. Then, use that in calculations, and divide the total final damage as necessary for each hit.

I thought it varied by ref - is Superbird's the official way to calculate multi-hit damage? I calculate stat changes and multiplicative boosts (STAB, type effectiveness, choice items, Reflect, etc.) for each hit before multiplying by the number of hits because it makes more flavor sense to me. There's been an official ruling that type trinkets and Muscle Band/Wise Glasses/Life Orb only apply once per multi-hit attack, though.

Counter's description says "If the attack is directly physical, like a punch, the user will catch it and lash out with a return strike twice as powerful while the opponent is off-balance.". Does this mean that, even if there are Double Team clones on the field, the user of Counter will successfully target the true foe (and not a clone) if it uses a directly physical attack? Since, after all, a clone won't be the one striking the user of Counter...

In regards to the issues of covering your ears or eyes to avoid taunt, hypnosis, etc, I was just wondering if there's a general consensus on how effective that would be? I mean, it makes sense, but it seems off that such a simple action could render those moves completely useless, especially since the accuracy of hypnosis is shitty in the first place.

I do like encouraging creativity, but I think it should take more effort to fully counter a move like that.

(I kind of like the compromise of the Pokémon having to keep its eyes closed the whole action to have a chance of preventing hypnosis, and having 0% accuracy for any moves it tries to pull off as a consequence. If it's slower than the foe, then the hypnosis user might be able to lure it into looking with psychic suggestion or something. I'm not sure about taunt, though.)

Back
Top Bottom