• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

What are ASB Awards--? Are they based on the leaderboard or something?

Here's an old one from 2011! They're based on nominations and then votes from the player base. There are some obvious titles like best battler and best ref, and then some more fun ones like most entertaining battle, best strategy, best nickname, and stuff. Suggestions for categories are taken every year, too.

What happens when Gastro Acid is used on a Pokémon with the Protean ability?

As far as I can tell, Gastro Acid doesn't act differently to other ability nullifiers, so Protean is removed and the target stays the type it was when Gastro Acid was used.

What's the general rule for status moves and type immunities? I know that Thunder Wave has no effect on Ground-types while Confuse Ray works fine on Normal-types. In general, I assume status moves ignore immunities, with Thunder Wave being an exception - is this correct?

What's the general rule for status moves and type immunities? I know that Thunder Wave has no effect on Ground-types while Confuse Ray works fine on Normal-types. In general, I assume status moves ignore immunities, with Thunder Wave being an exception - is this correct?

Yes, I think Thunder Wave is the only exception.

Technically, Will-o-Wisp is absorbed by Flash Fire even if the bearer of the ability isn't Fire-type, and thunder Wave by Volt Absorb and Lightningrod.

This is almost certainly due to me not being in the system as a ref yet most likely, but how do I start a match as a ref? Based on the announcement posted in January, I'm supposed to go to this link and click "open a new battle," but I don't see the option anywhere. Here's a screenshot of the page, just in case you need it. I was planning on taking a couple of battles (Birdcrest vs Zero Moment and Ulqi-chan vs Zexion), but I didn't want to do so until I got this sorted out.

This is almost certainly due to me not being in the system as a ref yet most likely, but how do I start a match as a ref? Based on the announcement posted in January, I'm supposed to go to this link and click "open a new battle," but I don't see the option anywhere. Here's a screenshot of the page, just in case you need it. I was planning on taking a couple of battles (Birdcrest vs Zero Moment and Ulqi-chan vs Zexion), but I didn't want to do so until I got this sorted out.

Zhorken has to designate you as a ref. Until then you can ask someone else to open the battles for you and she can switch the refs later. (I'll do it when I get home in a couple of hours if you haven't found anyone.)

Zhorken has to designate you as a ref. Until then you can ask someone else to open the battles for you and she can switch the refs later. (I'll do it when I get home in a couple of hours if you haven't found anyone.)

Alright then, thanks for the response.

If a Pokémon with double team clones uses Protect, are the clones protected as well?

Since we seem to lack precedent for this, I'm going to say no. Those close enough to be in the vicinity of the Protect shield might be protected, but others will not be.

Since we seem to lack precedent for this, I'm going to say no. Those close enough to be in the vicinity of the Protect shield might be protected, but others will not be.

So, in the same way that Substitute will only block attacks to the "real" clone?

So, in the same way that Substitute will only block attacks to the "real" clone?

Refs seem to differ on that count (see the discussion on Double Team and Substitutes in this thread a while back). Some may have the Substitute protect any clone as it cannot distinguish the real one from the others, while others have it only protect the real one. I think either way is fine, since both interpretations make sense and in the latter you could always command your Pokémon to specifically attack the Substitute.

Would it be possible to execute a move like Poison Jab or Fire Punch while deliberately refraining from calling up the element in question (e.g. just doing Poison Jab without coating the jabbing implement in poison first, or going through the motions of Fire Punch without the fire)?

Back
Top Bottom