• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Ah, the energy appears to be my weakpoint then. And that sort of clears up some questions about Double Team. I had read in the attacks guide that the Double Team clones mimic what the original does, so I thought that included Substitute. My bad. Well, third time's the charm!

mageslayer99 said:
Arena: Spear Pillar
Description: This massive platform atop Mount Coronet is said to be where the world was originally created, and that in times gone by Legendary Pokemon battled here. On the battlefield itself are many columns which may collapse if struck by an attack strong enough (80 base damage, or multiple attacks totalling 80 base damage) or by a Pokemon heavy enough (250kg or heavier). If these fall on a Pokemon, they will cause 15% damage; are they to be exploited or avoided? Your choice.
Restrictions: Five chills, no direct healing moves.
Special Conditions:
- Attacks that use an outside source of water to attack the foe (e.g. Surf) will have no effect, as there is no water source.
- A column will fall if hit by an attack with base damage of 80 or greater or by a Pokemon that weighs 250kg or more. 15% untyped damage is done to any Pokemon hit by a column, and 5% is done if a Pokemon is thrown into a column.

PRE ROUND X
mageslayer99 (O)
Electabuzz
Electrostatic
Male
Health: 100%
Energy: 88%
Chills: 0/5
Status: Raised Special Attack (+1). Getting comfortable with the terrain.
run ~ Charge Beam ~ Shock Wave

Seth Grey (O)
Crawdaunt
Male
Health: 87%
Energy: 84%
Status: Raised Attack (+2). Underground, hoping that Electabuzz can't reach him down here.
Dig ~ Double Team ~ Crabhammer

Arena Notes
There is a Crawdaunt-width hole in the southern end of the arena.​

ROUND X
On the field at the beginning of the round, only one of the participating Pokemon were seen; Electrostatic. A small hole at the south end of the arena signified the Crawdaunt that had dug himself underground. The referee, seeing that the Electabuzz was prepared and assuming that the Crawdaunt was as well, waved his flags, beginning the round.​

The arena was silent for a few moments, there was no action, but then Electrostatic began to run around the field a bit. He went around the pillars, around the trainers, around the hole, seemingly having a very fun time just running. Amidst the running, the ground heaved up in the Northwest end of the field, and soon, the crayfish Pokemon emerged, looking confused as to where Electrostatic was. He glanced around the field and saw the Electabuzz running around like a mad man. Crawdaunt looked at the Electabuzz quizically.​

[Electrostatic: -0H -1E Crawdaunt: -0H -4E]​

Electrostatic stopped running and glanced in Crawdaunt's direction. Happiness! Crawdaunt was above ground. Electrostatic smiled and opened his mouth. A small ball of light began to grow. In the meanwhile, Crawdaunt began to run around the field himself, except much slower than the Electabuzz had. Within about a minute, Crawdaunt had produced two identical clones, who were running around the field with him. The three of them eventually stopped and looked at Electrostatic. Electrostatic was confused. Which one was which? He had to decide which one to shoot the ball of light at. He decided to shoot the one in the middle which, ironically, was the real Crawdaunt. Electrostatic shot lurched his head forward, shooting the beam at the middle Crawdaunt. As soon as the beam of light made contact with Crawdaunt, Crawdaunt screeched in pain, and his clones vanished, Crawdaunt being unable to maintain them. Electrostatic smiled happily.​

[Electrostatic: -0H -5E Crawdaunt: -9H -2E]​

When Crawdaunt regained his focus, he glared at Electrostatic. This was no longer a game, this was time for Crawdaunt to enact his revenge. Crawdaunt charged with his claw in front of him, at the Electabuzz, filled with anger and rage. That Electabuzz would pay for sure. However, Electrostatic had no intention of getting hurt, or paying, for that matter. He didn't have any money. He looked onward at the Crawdaunt, oddly enough, happily. Battling is so much fun! With extreme and unnatural joy, the Electabuzz began to spin around, sending ripples of yellow light outwards, all around him. The shockwaves hit everything they could, including a few pillars (which didn't sustain enough damage to fall), and, of course, an extremely and unnaturally angry Crawdaunt, who fell back a few feet. The Crawdaunt looked up at the happy Electabuzz. He will pay...​

[Electrostatic: -0H -5E Crawdaunt: -10H -5E]​

POST ROUND X
mageslayer99 (O)
Electabuzz
Electrostatic
Male
Energy: 77%
Status: Special Attack + 1 Feeling blissfully happy at the moment, so immensely pleased with the round's result.
"Battling = fun fun land!" :D​

Seth Grey (O)
Crawdaunt
Male
Health: 68%
Energy: 73%
Status: Attack +2 So incredibly frustrated with the round's results. This is no longer a game for him; this, means war.
":angry:"​

Notes:
- Many of the inner pillars were mildly damaged by the Shock Wave attack, so they are currently a bit weak.​

- Oddly enough, I can't think of any thing else major to point out.​

Last edited:
Zruh, not sure. Anyway, primary problem is that I don't really know what's going on in the second to last paragraph--whether the substitute and which, if any or all, of the clones, are destroyed. Battle description was mostly okay except for that, although I don't know why Oxi didn't attack with dig if she was returning to the surface anyway. Health is fine, Oxi shouldn't be using more energy than Bully, which is what she did if you gave 10% back for chill. If not, the two are more on par but a bit too close for my tastes. Again, primary problem is confusion caused by vagueness in second to last paragraph of battle description--I can't tell whether you figured this round out properly or not, as that was the trickiest part of the reffing. Not Approved

:P I knew that I screwed up badly on health…. Oh well, I guess I’m going to try again. Hope I do better this time…
---------------------------------------------------------------------

PRE-ROUND X

mageslayer99 |O|
Electrostatic Electabuzz |M| ::Static::
Chills: |O O O O O|
Special Attack +1. Getting comfortable with the terrain. “Not bad... Not bad at all!”

Seth Grey|O|
Crawdaunt Crawdaunt |M| ::Hyper Cutter::
Attack +2 Underground, hoping that Electabuzz can't reach him down here. “Please don’t get me, please don’t get me!”

ROUND X: Starts!
An ominous gloom presides over the battlefield, and there is a field seemingly floating up in the sky as it is so high up, but is actually on top of Mount Coronet. Pillars are surrounding the arena, and they look slightl worn out. There is a Crawdaunt-sized hole on the southern end of the arena, and there is a Electabuzz seen, snarling in anger. His opponent, a Crawdaunt, can’t be seen, while trainers on the sideline are able to be noticed and heard, giving out instructions to their Pokemon.

With the commands given and the battle commencing, Electrostatic starts by dashing around, trying to get away from where Crawdaunt may hit. A blur of yellow around the stadium, Electrostatic is slowly getting tired while Crawdaunt, still underground, is waiting for his time to strike. Once he feels footsteps slightly above him, he jumps up with his Dig attack, throwing up mounds of dirt: But he doesn’t make any contact. The Electabuzz snickers, and quickly prepares to charge up for his Charge Beam while Crawdaunt is left floating high up in the air, and just leaving another Crawdaunt-sized hole on the northern end of the stadium.

Electrostatic, finished charging his large ball of electric energy, fires the large orb at Crawdaunt. Previously in the air, Crawdaunt is brought down with a heavy thud, and is evidently hurt by the sudden hit on his torso. Gasping in pain, he slowly gets himself up, and runs around the field as fast as possible. The super-effective attack obviously has hurt Crawdaunt, and limps occasionally. He still leaves a red-orange blur as a trail, much like the one Electrostatic had been making when he was running. Electrostatic, pleased with the hit, now notices that Crawdaunt is making the Double Team clones, but can do nothing but stare; one by one, clones are encircling the field. Watching the clones be made, Electrostatic’s eyes encircle the arena, being both frightened by the sight of so many Crawdaunts, and also being dizzy by trying to focus on the real Crawdaunt, out of a field of 12.

Snapping back to the battle orders at hand, Electrostatic slowly concentrates his mind, creating sparks lighting up furiously and quickly on his antennas. The 12 Crawdaunts seem to be charging at him all at once, and the Electabuzz notices, and makes a plan to unleash his electrical power when all the Crawdaunt clones are close enough to all be hit. Raising their arms in anger, the Crawdaunt duplicates just want to hit Electrostatic, no matter who hits him. Electrostatic lets loose his electricity by letting electrical charges out from around 8 feet out, clearing out all the Double Teamed clones by shocking them all, while also hitting a few surrounding pillars. Seeing all the Crawdaunts squirm and fall into the ground, eventually, Electrostatic thinks that his mission has been completed, and that the real Crawdaunt had been hit. But as the clones fade away one by one, disappearing into the dark sky after taking the damage from Shock Wave, the real Crawdaunt jumped up into the sky, not being noticed by a jubilant Electroshock that was celebrating a successful hit. Claws raised like before, Crawdaunt readies, and has his claws grow white with energy. The attack hits Electroshock square on the head, but shocks from his head are transferred throughout Crawdaunt’s body.

After landing the blow, Crawdaunt jumps down from the air, and is holding himself tightly by trying to get rid of the paralyzation from Electrostatic’s Static ability, and also trying to shake off the barrage of electricity from the combined effects of Charge Beam and Shock Wave. Electrostatic is dazed from the Crabhammer, and is rubbing his head to try to get rid of the headache. Both are staring at each other in fury, wanting to get back at their opponent for dealing the damage done to both.
ROUND X: Ends!

POST-ROUND X
Recap: Electrostatic lost 5% HP and 12% Energy. Crawdaunt lost 12% HP and 16% Energy.

mageslayer99 |O|
Electrostatic Electabuzz |M| ::Static::
Health: 95%
Energy: 76%
Special Attack +2. Pleased at damage dealt, but angry at being smacked in the head. “Owww… My head!” *Rubs head*

Seth Grey|O|
Crawdaunt Crawdaunt |M| ::Hyper Cutter::
Health: 75%
Energy: 68%
Attack +2 Very tired, but loved how Crabhammer turned out. “That ought to teach him not to mess with me!” *Breathes deeply*​

Notes:
-Crawdaunt’s ability wasn’t specified, so Hyper Cutter was used.
-Dig missed on the first turn.
-Charge Beam gave Electrostatic’s Special Attack +1.
-Crawdaunt’s Double Team made 12 clones.
-Electrostatic’s ability, Static, affected Crawdaunt on the Crabhammer attack.

Last edited:
OK, take 2 at a reffing that is OK.
------

Round XYZ: Pre-Round

mageslayer99 (O)
Electabuzz
Electrostatic (M)
-Static
Chills used: 0/5
Status: Sp. Attack +1. Getting comfortable with the terrain.
Commands: Run around~Charge Beam~Shock Wave

Seth Grey (O)
Crawdaunt
Crawdaunt (M)
-Hyper Cutter
Status: Attack +2. Underground, hoping that Electrostatic can't reach him down there.
Commands: Dig~Double Team~Crabhammer

Arena Notes:
-There is a Crawdaunt-width hole in the southern end of the arena.

Round XYZ: Begin!

At the moment the round begins, Electrostatic begins dashing frantically around the arena. Crawdaunt, slightly unsure of how to deal with a dashing Electabuzz, nevertheless pops up out of the ground, colliding with the front of Electrostatic and causing him to fly a few feet back, screaming. Welts are raised on Electrostatic's back from a collision with the solid floor, but he doesn't lose too much blood. Crawdaunt pants almost inaudibly as he raises himself from the hole, turning around to face Electrostatic.
<Electrostatic: -12H, -1E><Crawdaunt: -0H, -6E>
Electrostatic, grimacing, charges electricity, arms moving furiously. Crawdaunt tries to back away, but can't get out of the way fast enough before a nicely concentrated Charge Beam hits him in the face. Crawdaunt gasps and falls to the floor, electricity coursing through his frail body, while Electrostatic unleashes a miniature power surge as his attack powers heighten. Crawdaunt tries to straighten up, and begins dashing around the room, coming dangerously close to the pillars (to avoid being shocked again). When he finishes dashing, two more Crawdaunts are staring sweatily at Electrostatic, who looks a little sheepish at three evil glares bearing down on him.
<Electrostatic: -0H, -5E><Crawdaunt: -9H, -2E>
Electrostatic, still a little bit dazed from impact with the floor, winks the stars out of his eyes as the Crawdaunts advance, claws glowing white with pent-up energy. Electrostatic begins charging electricity, but is too late to unleash anything before he is smacked on the head by a Crabhammer (well, three Crabhammers). Crawdaunt however, feels a little bit of pain as well--some of the electricity from Electrostatic got into his system, locking his muscles up. Not finished yet, Electrostatic howls as he finishes the necessary energy charge to use Shock Wave. An electric ripple is sent through the room, severly shaking (but not destroying) the pillars, decimating the clones, and agonizing the real Crawdaunt. Both Pokémon retreat for the moment, taking care to avoid the Crawdaunt-sized holes in their corners of the field.
<Electrostatic: -14H, -4E><Crawdaunt: -12H, -5E>

Round XYZ: Post-Round

mageslayer99 (O)
Electabuzz
Electrostatic (M)
-Static
Health: 74%
Energy: 78%
Status: Sp. Attack +2. Smarting from two powerful attacks, and trying to cope with a stinging, bleeding back.
Commands: Run around~Charge Beam~Shock Wave

Seth Grey (O)
Crawdaunt
Crawdaunt (M)
-Hyper Cutter
Health: 66%
Energy: 71%
Status: Attack +2, Paralyzed (moderate). Annoyed by all the evil electricity in his opponent, and not liking his lack of muscle control.
Commands: Dig~Double Team~Crabhammer

Arena/Battle Notes:
-There are Crawdaunt-width holes in the southern and northwestern ends of the arena.
-I deducted a small amount of energy for Electrostatic running around wildly in the first action.
-When Electrostatic was hit with Dig, he took less damage for almost dodging it, but received most of it back when he collided with Spear Pillar's stone floor.
-Charge Beam raised Electrostatic's attack.
-Crawdaunt was paralyzed by Static-not hard, seeing as he attacked when Electrostatic was charging up tons of electricity.
-I used the ASB Damage and Energy Guide for the most part, and I think I got my calculations right.
-mageslayer99 attacks first next round.​

Blaziking 175

The battle description's okay, but I really don't like a powerful attack like crabhammer getting stopped by something as relatively weak as shock wave. The attack certainly could have slowed Crawdaunt, or knocked him over or whatever, but I think he should have been able to push through for at least a little damage. I also didn't see any real clear indication of the special attack raise from charge beam in the description.

Health and energy look fine.

Really, I don't like the whole shock wave thing, but besides that there's nothing really wrong with this reffing. Approved

o_O

My evaluations, please to be actually reading them. Figure out why I posted this, fix it, and if you do, I'll look at it later. Not Approved

MurrMurr

No real problem with the description, though I did chuckle a bit at "staring sweatily."

In terms of health and energy, you look fine as well.

Overall good reffing. Approved

Paychecks

Kratos Aurion: 1 = $10

Please tell me I kept really crappy records this week. =/

Sorry….. Damn my technical sense of mind. I shall try again! (But probably fail :P)
--------------------------

The referee arrives, dressed in a heavy coat. “I-i-it’s cold!” he says, shaking. Nevertheless, he arrives at the scene of the battle, where two trainers can be seen conversing in front of Snowpoint Temple. “Let’s get this over with! I need hot chocolate” the referee says, still shivering. “I knew that I never should have left Lavaridge…” There are stands all around the arena, but they seemed to be filled with snow, and there’s no one on their but a sleeping homeless man. After a short exchange of greetings, the referee announces, “Get your Pokemon ready!” The first trainer sends out a Pokeball, revealing a Glaceon. It lies down in a patch of snow, feeling cozy and at home. The next trainer sends out a Forretress. It seems to be cold, shivering and rocking around. It rolls around, trying to get some blood pumping for the battle, getting his game “eyes” on. The trainer calls out to him as “Toride”, giving him commands. The Glaceon goes over to its trainer when called “Hyōga”. It seems slightly sad that it can’t take a rest in the nice, soft snow, although it seems content battling. The snow is falling lightly, and Hyōga seems to be hidden in it sometimes. After the trainers and Pokemon look prepared, the referee waves his flags down, starting the battle. The Pokemon take their positions on 2 platforms, ready for battle.

Battle: Dystopia vs. Ekibyōgami
Arena: Snowpoint City

Pre-Battle!
Dystopia |O| Hyōga Glaceon |F| ::Snow Cloak::
Energy: 100%
Oooh, snow. Comfy~

Ekibyōgami |O| Toride Forretress |M| ::Sturdy::
D: It’s coooooooold!​

Starting quick, Toride is spinning fast. He stares at Hyōga and and starts omitting bubbling purple acids. The Glaceon stares oddly at Toride, and just sits down in her previous patch of snow. Toride’s purple acids suddenly start spewing out, the thick liquid falling on the white snow. The toxic is much too thick to be able to seep into the snow, and insteads puddles into a pool of purple. Hyōga, disgusted at the wretched sight and smell of the liquid, jumps up and remembers that she wasn’t here for a nap; she was here for hardcore battling. Seemingly tapping into her energy, she quickly uses her front legs and kicks up, tossing a barrage of snow at the referee and also hiding herself by creating a barrier of fluffy snow all around her. When the madness is over, all anyone can see is a deep hole where Hyōga was, with light snow trickling everywhere.

Toride looks down, not knowing where Hyōga is and also failing at the Toxic attack. He quickly spins over to the hole which Hyōga was, and decides to spit out his Toxic attack there this time. Once again, purple acids start surrounding the Forretress, and he spins around slowly to release the toxins in a slow stream. Meanwhile, Hyōga is in her hole, seemingly safe. She rolls around in the snow, trying to protect herself from the Toxic. However, she smells the odor of the Toxic, and rolls around furiously to try and not get hurt by the inevitable stream of acid: But as she’s rolling, her face touches the slightest bit of the thick purple substance, and she’s screaming in pain from inside her hole.

The Glaceon immediately jumps up from her hideout in the snow, screaming in pain. The purple acids are starting to spread over her body, and she’s rolling in the snow, trying to get the Toxic off. In the meantime, Toride starts shaking around, drawing arcane lines on the snow. He starts spinning around, and seems to have gotten some power, looking fierce and slightly like he’s been possessed.

The round ends with the referee waving his flags down, while Hyōga is running back to her trainer while in pain, feeling stings everywhere from the Toxic taking effect. Toride goes back slower than usual, but he seems to be having some more power than ever before, confident in his abilities. Back on the two platforms, the Pokemon are ready to get their commands for the next round.

ROUND 1: Ends! POST-ROUND 1
Arena: Snowpoint City
Recap: Hyōga lost 2% HP and 7% Energy. Toride lost 0% HP and 16% Energy.

Dystopia |O| Hyōga Glaceon |F| ::Snow Cloak::
Health: 98%
Energy: 93%
AHHHH! THE PAIN! Severely Poisoned (-3% Health per turn)

Ekibyōgami |O| Toride Forretress |M| ::Sturdy::
*Mumbles some unknown words* Speed -1, Attack +1, Defense +1

Round Notes:
- Hyōga’s Snow Cloak is in effect.
- Hyōga is also poisoned now.
- Toride gained 1 point for Attack and Defense while sacrificing 1 point for Speed in Curse.
- There is a little hideout filled with Toxic in the middle of the field, and there is also a bit of Toxic pooling on the east side of the arena.

Last edited:
Prebattle​
Empoleon walks out from Snowpoint City's Pokémon Center, putting on his snow shoes as he leaves the plowed areas and heads to Snowpoint Temple. As he arrives, several spectators arrive by ski, snowshoe, pokémon, and snow mobile, taking scattered positions in the bleachers. Snowpoint Temple looms, cold, icicles running down the stonework, and Dystopia is already there, his snowmobile behind his platform. Empoleon waves as he takes up position on a platform facing Snowpoint Temple, midway between the two battling platforms. It is also the same distant between that the other two platforms are so that three-way battles can occur. A few minutes later, as a light dusting of snow twinkles down from above, Ekibyōgami arrives on a pair of skis. He unclips his skis and steps up onto the platform.

Special Arena Rules: All pokemon weighing over 300 lbs (136 kg) will sink into the snow and reduce speed by 2 levels.
Damage Cap: 50%
DQ Time: Three Days
Banned Moves: OHKO, wealther-altering, direct recovery.

Order:
Dystopia releases Pokémon.
Ekibyōgami releases and orders commands.
Dystopia orders commands.
Empoleon refs.

Round I

Pre-round

Trainer: Ekibyōgami

[Toride] Forretress (M)
Chills: 5 of 5 Remaining
Commands: Toxic ~ Toxic / Curse ~ Toxic / Curse

Trainer: Dystopia

[Hyōga] Glaceon (F)
Status: Playing cheerfully, feeling at home, a bit nervous.
Commands: Dig into snow ~ Roll over / emerge from snow ~ Chill / Avalanche / Emerge

Round Start!
The battle starts with Dystopia sending out his Glaceon. The Fresh Snow Pokémon frolics in the snow before settling down as Ekibyōgami sends out a Forretress. The Forretress which his trainer has nicknamed Toride, settles into the snow, and though it does not break the snow crust, he does sink in slightly. Empoleon lowers his two reffing flags and the battle begins.

Glaceon starts by digging down into the crust with her paws, creating a small pile of twinkling snow behind her as she snuggles into the crusty snow, which below is a packed down a bit, though still quite powdery and easy to dig through. Forretress takes advantage of Glaceon's struggle and shoots out a large glob of toxins. Glaceon looks up to see the poison blob coming at her and mews in fear before looking down and charging into the hole she has dug. The poison hits as she enters, and it seeps slowly through the thin layer of snow Glaceon has penetrated. Glaceon mews in pain as she digs frantically to escape the toxins.

Though it isn't obvious, one would almost think that Forretress is smiling as he hears his opponent's cries of pain. He slowly begins to spin in the snow, uttering an arcane language as small tendrils of ghost-like energy curl out from Forretress. He continues this, rotating slowly, catching glimpses at the small lump in the snow that represents Glaceon's digging form. Moments later, Glaceon emerges from the snow and focuses his energies on raising large amounts of snow. She sends them shooting up and then down upon Forretress, burying Forretress beneath a thick pile of snow. Faintly, through the snow, the incantations can still be heard.

Post Round
[Toride] Forretress (M)
Energy: 94%
Commands: Toxic ~ Curse ~ Curse

Trainer: Dystopia

[Hyōga] Glaceon (F)
Health: 99%
Status: Slight pain, "Why did you do such a thing?". Moderately Poisoned (-2% per round.)
Commands: Dig into snow ~ Emerge from snow ~ Avalanche

Notes
- Hyōga's Snow Cloak ability is in effect, raising evasiveness slightly.
- Forretress is currently under a pile of snow due to Avalanche and must get out of it before he is able to move anywhere very quickly.
- Curse takes a while to take affect - thus it did not really help Forretress when he was hit by Avalanche.

Round II
Dystopia orders attacks.
Ekibyōgami orders attacks.
Empoleon refs.

Hurrrr... Linoone wants to try reffing!

--------------------

A light snow drifted down from the sky. The ground was covered with a thick layer of fresh, white snow. Two trainers, Ekibyōgami and Dystopia, stood on either side of the white, snowy field, waiting patiently for their referee. Where is the ref, anyway? Suddenly, a small Linoone, wearing a beret, scrambled up on to the referee’s stand. “Sorry about that, guys. Shall we start?”

Dystopia shrugged and tossed the Pokeball. In a burst of light, a small blue vulpine materialized on the snow. She shook herself and looked around delightfully. Snow! The Glaceon sat down happily in the snow, feeling right at home. Then, there was another burst of light, and a Forretress appeared in front of the Glaceon, slightly sinking into the soft snow.

“Well, let the battle began!” Crazy Linoone waved her referee flags.

Dystopia (O)
Hyoga (F)

GLACEON
Ability: Snow Cloak

Ekibyōgami (O)
Toride (M)

FORRETRESS
Ability: Sturdy

Round 1

Hyoga jumped to action and began digging in the snow, spraying the cold powder everywhere. Soon, the Glaceon was under a blanket of snow, nice and snug. Glaceon are born to be in the snow, after all! Meanwhile, above ground, Toride blinked slowly. The Glaceon had suddenly disappeared in the sea of white, and, well, where should he aim his attack? The bagworm decided to hit where Hyoga was last. Gathering poison from a gland in his body, Toride spat out a large purple blob at the mound of snow where the Glaceon last was.

The blob slowly sunk into the snow, and, bingo! The Forretress heard a scream, and a small blue form burst out of the snow, poisonous liquid dripping down from her side. How had the Forretress hit her? How? The Glaceon winced in pain as she felt the poison sink through her skin. Satisfied that the poison had hit, Toride closed his eyes and focused. A faint red aura emitted from his body, and the Forretress spun slowly in a circle.

Just what in the world is that stupid bug doing? The Glaceon roared, annoyed that Toride was ignoring her, and the sound echoed off the mountains and the temple, slowly dissipating. Nothing happened. Toride opened his eyes. Feeling slightly slower but more powerful, he performed the ritual again, only this time, his speed was slower. After he finished, the Forretress smirked to himself. Seems like whatever the Glaceon was trying to do had failed… Or had it? There was a loud rumble, and, to his surprise, a large hill of white rushed down from the top of the temple, straight at the Forretress. Toride barely had time to gasp in surprise as the avalanche buried him under a thick blanket of snow. The Glaceon grinned, only to cringe as she felt the pain of poison sipping through her body.

Round Ends

Dystopia (O)
Hyoga (F)

GLACEON
Ability: Snow Cloak
Health: 97%
Energy: 90%
Commands:Dig ~ Emerge ~ Avalanche
Severely Poisoned (-4% health next round)

Ekibyōgami (O)
Toride (M)

FORRETRESS
Ability: Sturdy
Commands: Toxic ~ Curse ~ Curse
Speed -2 Attack +2 Defense +2

Notes:
- Toride is buried under the snow from the Avalanche
- There is a small patch of purple, poisoned snow on Hyoga’s side.
- Dystopia attacks first next round
- I ref

o_O

The battle description is a bit confusing, primarily due to unclear phrasing in the description. It seems rather unreasonable that the glaceon should be incredible agony from touching just a tiny bit of the toxic, which is what your description made it seem like; the way you worded it, I wouldn't even expect full "severe" confusion. Throughout, it seemed as though the forretress was acting before the glaceon as well, which doesn't make much sense, considering both their natural difference in speeds and the environment in which they're moving around.

Your energy usage is rather a bit steeper than what I would have assessed; ultimately, if digging down, rolling around in the snow, and popping back up costs 7% energy, I would have expected you to take more energy off forretress. Digging through snow really isn't that strenuous, and a full three actions of actual attacks, two being toxic, costing only a little over double doesn't sit well with me.

I didn't really like how you portrayed this round, nor am I entirely comfortable with your energy scores. Not a terrible reffing, but a bit short on both counts. Not Approved

Empoleon

Your battle description is a little strange--I must have missed the part where the toxic attack actually hit Hyoga, because in one sentence she's digging to escape the toxins, and in the next forretress has started cursing. While the glaceon's cries of pain would ordinarily indicate that she had been hit by toxic, she was crying even before the attack actually hit her. Or at least, I think so, seeing as she's still digging even after she starts crying, while she should have stopped if the toxic got her. Also, curse should have come into play by the time avalanche went off, at least one level's worth of it: after all, by the end of the round all the second curse's boosts had been applied, so by nearly the end of the third action the first one's effects should have been felt. This doesn't have any effect on the actual damage at this level, but your note indicates that it wasn't considered in the calculations, which it should have been.

Health is fine, but a curse and a toxic in and of itself is about 6% energy, so as you can guess, your energy penalty on Toride is insufficient. As with everyone else who attempted this reffing, you gave Hyoga the greater energy usage this round, though it should be the other way around.

More or less the same issues as everyone else. Not Approved

Crazy Linoone

How had the Forretress hit her? How?

Reading the reffing, I found myself wondering this as well. Pretty much the same problem other people are having--stuff just doesn't seep that quickly through several feet of snow. You even described it as sinking "slowly"--an action typically lasts no more than a minute at the outside. Why wasn't Hyoga already on her second action at that point, taking action to avoid the toxic? Other than that, battle description wasn't bad.

Toxic and two curses isn't going to cost as much as a dig, emerge, and avalanche. It's basically two actions being priced the same as three--Forretress used three moderately draining attacks, and Hyoga used two, so the glaceon should be using a bit less energy than her opponent.

Same as o_O, really: the reffing isn't awful, but you messed the toxic/dig interaction up, and your energy doesn't make sense to me. This reffing looks easy, but honestly, it's deceptively tricky. Not Approved

To wrap up the lesson on this one: dig takes a pokémon down several feet. Dump a bucket of hot water on some snow and see how far it eats through. Not far, right? Toxic may corrode further than that, but it's going to do so a lot slower, and even if it does manage to reach a pokémon deep beneath the snow, it's not going to do so at full potency.

Demotions

Ekibyogami -> off list
Light Mightyena -> off list
Walker -> off list

Paychecks

Blaziking175: 1 = $3
Byrus: 1 = $10
Kindling Queen: 1 2 3 4 = $12
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 = $30
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 2 = $20
MurrMurr: 1 2 3 4 = $12
PichuK: 1 2 = $12

[Nazo] staryu (X)
HP: 93%
Energy: 63%
Status: Pleased with himself, a little tired, and wondering about those presents...
Substitute (10%) - Rain Dance - Swift/Double Team/Light Screen

[Mailman] delibird (M)
HP: 87%
Energy: 66%
Quick Attack - Mega Punch - Future Sight

Round x

pikajens and Mai face each other, each confident in their pokémon. The sky is bright and clear. The wheat blows a little bit in the slight breeze. Nazo and Mailman also are making eye contact, neither too beat up. Nazo is standing with pride, happy about the last round's outcome, while Mailman is quite disappointed in his previous performance. The trainers issue their commands and let their pokémon take the spotlights!

First, Nazo prepares to create a doll, which will hopefully protect it from damage temporarily. However, first Mailman runs, accelerating quickly, and rams into Nazo, breaking his concentration. Mailman sneers, satisfied at his success. Nazo, however, quickly stands up after taking the blow. It is able to again focus and, after a short period of time, create a subsitute of itself to protect it. During this time, Mailman is not idle, but preparing for his next move.

Nazo, protected by the Subsitute it created, starts to perform a symbolic dance, with clarity and intricacy. Soon, the clear sky is no longer clear, but dark grey clouds quickly cover the sky. Additionally, raindrops become too heavy for the clouds and start to shower the two, currently only a drizzle. Meanwhile, Mailman's early preparation pays off. He quickly throws a powerful punch at the doll furiously, which seems to be more powerful due to Mailman's early focus, sending it flying. Of course, it disappears with a cloud of dust.

In the final group of actions, Mailman widens his eyes, which in turn glow as he glances into the future. He finds an ideal time to set the Future Sight to strike, generating quite an amount of mental energy toward the enemy at that point in time. Soon, Nazo bends in slightly, focusing, then lets out a beam of light, which expands and gains a thin form. It holds the wall of light in place with its psychic energy, focusing deeply.

Finally, the two pokémon and two trainers relax. The round has been a tiring round, and they are eager to chill out from the battle. Both Mai and pikajens look in their ASB Attacks and Abilities guide, planning the next round's moves.

[Nazo] staryu (X)
HP: 89%
Energy: 50%
Status: Focusing on keeping Light Screen a screen, but pretty tired.
Substitute (10%) - Rain Dance - Swift/Double Team/Light Screen

[Mailman] delibird (M)
Energy: 51%
Status: Quite tired, but kinda hopeful about the battle's outcome.
Minimize/Mimic ~ Present/Mimic/Minimize ~ Fly(up)/Mimic/Present

Notes -

- It's raining, right now a slight drizzle.
- Mailman's Mega Punch hit for extra because he had some extra time to prepare.

Apparently some people say the third time is lucky. Who knows?

Must try again! >.< Linoone shall learn.

Pre-Round

[Nazo] (X)
Staryu
HP: 93%
Pleased with himself, a little tired, and wondering about those presents...
Swift ~ Water Pulse/Double Team ~ Psychic/Swift

[Mailman] (M)
Delibird
Disgruntled, not happy with the round

Round XXX Start

Substitute, eh? Nazo grunted and tried to focus, gathering its health energy in an attempt to form a substitute. However, the Staryu wasn’t fast enough. A rather annoyed Delibird shot across the field at a blinding speed, flattening a trail of wheat behind him. Mailman’s attack hit the starfish smack in the arm, sending both of them flying from the momentum. Mailman leapt off the fallen Staryu and chirped happily, unharmed. The sweet taste of revenge! That’ll show that stupid starfish! Nazo, on the other hand, had finished charging by then. The gem in its center glowed, and a rather wobbly looking Staryu burst out in a small flash of light. Nazo itself vanished to who-knows-where, leaving a Substitute in its wake.

Then, Nazo suddenly reappeared. The gem in its middle started to glow a strange blue while the starfish spun round and round, faster and faster, summoning storm clouds with all its might. The sky grew darker as clouds gathered, and loud clashes of thunder could be heard. There was a large flash of lightening, and rain started pouring heavily, as if someone was dumping a bucket of water from the sky. Satisfied that its Rain Dance had worked, Nazo stopped the ritual and went back into hiding. Mailman, however, wasn’t discouraged by the rain. Although… Where is that annoying starfish? Mailman decided that his best chance of hitting that Staryu would be attacking that weird, wobbly, Staryu-shaped. Backing up a little, the Delibird gathered energy into his, well, hand-wing. Then, running forward, he punched the Substitute as hard as he could. The Substitute fizzled and wobbled, but it did not fade.

Nazo watched the Delibird carefully from its hiding place. What move should it use? Mailman was going to use Future Sight, it knew that from the commands. Should it use Double Team or Light Screen…? Just when Nazo was pondering its attack choices, Mailman was ready. He closed his eyes and focused as his body glowed purple from the energy he was storing for his attack. Then, he was done. The Delibird opened his eyes and looked at Nazo’s Substitute. He knew that store of energy will be ready for an attack a few turns later, so there’s no point of worrying. Meanwhile, Nazo had finally decided what attack it should use. It came out of hiding, pushed itself off the ground, and hovered in the air. Faster and faster, Nazo rotated around Mailman, until what could be seen was only a blur. When it finally stopped, there were six Staryu on the field: three realistic-looking ones and three wobbly-looking Substitutes. Nazo and two of its clones disappeared again, leaving only a confused Delibird staring at three Substitutes in the rain.

Post-Round

[Nazo] (X)
Staryu
HP: 79%
Just what kind of attack is Future Sight?
Substitute (@ 10%) ~ Rain Dance ~ Double Team
Substitute: 2% health 3 Clones

[Mailman] (M)
Delibird
Energy: 58%
Rain, rain, go away… Come again another day…
Quick Attack ~ Mega Punch ~ Future Sight

Notes:
- It is raining
- Starfish doesn’t have brains
- pikajens attacks first​

Seritinajii

The battle description's not bad. Some awkward wordings, but overall it's readable and complete. Only gripe would be that it would be nice if you gave a better description of exactly how the sub is created. I'm not really sure that I think that just because the opponent used substitute instead of an attacking move, it would give Mailman more time than usual to execute a mega punch and therefore give it more power. Unless the trainer tells Mailman to take his time and make an extra-powerful mega punch, I wouldn't treat it as anything but ordinary in this situation.

It's not a big deal and I don't really pay attention to them, but you've messed up Mailman's "attacks completed" list in his end status.

The first thing I noticed about the health/energy tallies was that you haven't taken any health off for the substitute. I hope that was a mistake and not a misunderstanding of how substitute works--it definitely takes as much health to make as it possesses when complete. Nazo's energy is okay if you have light screen paid for all in the action that it's used, instead of making it a 1%/action energy upkeep the way that I do. On the other hand, Mailman is a bit over. Mega punch is really only worth around 4, maybe 5% energy, while quick attack is no more than 3% for delibird. I'm guessing that the excess comes of you taking too much off mega punch and future sight. Bumping the energy for mega punch due to the fact that it was more powerful is appropriate, but that wouldn't be more than 1 or 2%, leaving you at least 3%, or one moderate attack, over in energy cost.

The only things that I have a real problem with are the mega punch thing and the energy for Mailman. It looks a little to me like you were looking for an excuse to up the mega punch damage because the trainer had anticipated that mega punch would break the substitute and that was the only way it was going to happen; I don't know if that's true, but that's definitely not the way you should go about things if it is. The energy thing is a little more minor. This reffing is a bit on the fence, but I'm feeling generous tonight, so Approved.

Crazy Linoone

The battle description is fine, but substitutes do not participate in double team or any other attack used by their maker (unless they are, for example, used as a weapon in a fling or seismic toss attack). Therefore, they produce no clones and Mailman should be seeing only one staryu (substitute) at the end.

So far as health and energy goes, health is fine. No problem with Nazo's energy, but I would have knocked a couple more points off Mailman. Future sight is a delayed-strike kind of thing, but it's still 80 power. It should take roughly as much as mega punch, maybe knocked down a point or so for the fact that it's a delayed attack. Another couple energy points off seems appropriate to me.

Aside from minor energy gripes, and the substitute/double team thing, no problems here. Approved

Paychecks

Blaziking 175: 1 2 = $6
Kindling Queen: 1 2 3 = $9
Negrek: 1 and 1 = $25

Hi I'm Jewel Espeon and I'd like to try out as Novice Ref. ^^

----

Nazo
staryu
Health: 93%
Status: Pleased with himself, a little tired, and wondering about those presents…
Swift ~ Water Pulse/ Double Team ~ Psychic/Swift

Mailman
delibird

Round ???

Mailman immediately started running at an intense speed. This would be easy. Though, curving around the crop circles slowed him a little. While the Delibird was dashing towards Nazo, it was concentrating on Subsitute as fast as possible. A Staryu like shape glowed in front of it. In a flash, the delivery bird Pokemon rammed into Nazo, or what seemed to be Nazo.

Mailman blinked for a moment, and looked at what he hit. To his amazement, a figure with three arms and a red half-circle stood in front of him. It looked like the Staryu split in half. The Pokemon paused for a second, wondering how it was possible. He’d have to waste Mega Punch on this? The doll was pretty much beat up by Quick Attack. As the Delibird was distracted, Nazo started spinning around. Its gem glowed as he made strange movements. Dark grayish storm clouds appeared in the once bright blue sky. Rain started to pour from the sky rapidly. Mailman’s fur became damp, but he ignored it.

Mailman remembered what he was supposed to do. He held his fist in the air and punched the doll, and with that it faded. The Staryu then waited silently for the Delebird to do something. After a couple silent moments, Mailman decided to use Future Sight. His eyes started to glow as he planned the attack. Thinking Future Sight was some sort of defensive move, Nazo created two clones on its right and left.

Nazo
staryu
Health: 93%
Status; Thinks Future Sight is a defensive move, but is a little unsure.
Subsitute ~ Rain Dance ~ Double Team

Mailman
delibird
Energy: 52%
Status: Still wondering a little about how Subsitute appeared to be split in half.\
Quick Attack ~ Mega Punch ~ Future Sight

Notes:
- Since Nazo only had enough time to do half of the Subsitute, its health was reduced to 5%
- Rain Dance will increase Water Type moves
- Future Sight is in effect
- Mailman will attack next

Too late, sorry. The new mock battle is already up, and the old one becomes invalid after paychecks are distributed in any case.

Ah man. >> Oh well, I'll start doing the next one.

Edit: Alright, I'm going to try again. :3

----

Hedwig
jynx
Health: 88%
Energy: 65%
Status: Has a reflective shield for one more action, and Heightened Speed (2+)….

Kinzoku
skarmory
Health: 82%
Energy: 60%
Status: Covered in a think layer of ice; not frozen, but Slowed down(-2)….

Round ???

Kinzoku, a bit frightened of being frozen, started to create a force field around while hovering in the air. He looked down at the Jynx, wondering if she was going to use Blizzard now. Hedwig was then closing her eyes trying to forget about the battle. Forget about the Skarmory. Forget about everything.

Kinzoku stopped using Protect when he realized that the Jynx wasn’t doing anything. He then landed onto the snowy ground. Preparing for the next attack, he started gaggling poison, aiming and spit it onto Hedwig. The human shape Pokemon snapped out of her Calm Mind stage and tried to wipe the slime off her. Remembering her next attack, the Jynx fired a Blizzard attack.

The Skarmory was blown by the cold wind. After the attack was finished, he tried to lie down to use Rest. But he couldn’t for some reason. After struggling for a couple minutes, he then realized he was frozen. Hedwig was confused of what to do next since Kinzoku was frozen. She then decided to use Blizzard again, since it did more damage. As icy wind was blowing at the armor bird Pokemon, the Jynx was suffering a lot of pain from Toxic.

Hedwig
jynx
Health: 78%
Energy: 50%
Calm Mind ~ Blizzard ~ Blizzard

Kinzoku
skarmory
Health: 50%
Energy: 52%
Protect ~ Toxic ~ Rest

Notes:
- Blizzard froze Kinzoku
- Hedwig is badly poisoned.
- Calm Mind increased Hedwig’s special defense and special attack.
- Rest failed because Kinzoku was frozen.
- Hedwig attacks next unless Kinzoku thaws out.

Last edited:
I'd like to try for the Novice rank, please.

OOO
Mai: Hedwig (F)
Jynx
Energy: 65%
Status: Has a Reflective shield for one more action, and heightened speed (+2). Feeling confident.

OOO
Larissa: Kinzoku (M)
Skarmory
Health: 82%
Energy: 60%
Status: Covered in a thin layer of ice. (-2 speed). Starting to feel the cold.

Round X

Kinzoku hurriedly tries to generate a shield, not wanting to be frozen any further. Soon, a translucent green nexus winks into being around Kinzoku, and he looks down at Hedwig to see what worthless attack she will throw at him. But to his surprise, the Jynx only merely quickly glances at him before closing her eyes and relaxing. Hedwig clears her mind and focuses her power, heightening her psychic abilities while subconsciously letting her Reflect fade away; she won't need it now. Dissapointed and a little annyed at the waste of energy, Kinzoku terminates his Protect early, muttering darkly.

Kinzoku considers his orders and decides to fly down lower-he can't hit the Jynx from this high up. Unfortunately for him, Hedwig has other plans. The Jynx summons up the force of the winter winds and releases them at Kinzoku, who is buffeted and tossed around by the snowstorm, and at the same time, snow and ice rapidly build up around him, and before he can squawk in alarm, the Skarmory is encased in the stuff, and plummets to the snow-covered ground, motionless. Hedwig steps back to admire her handiwork as she watches the frozen Kinzoku come to rest near the railroad tracks.

Hedwig looks at the icebound Kinzoku and quickly decides that she can't use Lovely Kiss on him through all that ice (not that she wants to find out how to kiss a beak), and Blizzard would be rather pointless, and she's succeeded in freezing him already, so she instead settles on once again clearing her mind; Hedwig spaces out and meditates, greatly enhancing her mental state. Kinzoku, barely able to think, let alone move, is oblivious to his surroundings as he dimly tries to remember what he was supposed to do. Relaxing? Toxic? Rest-oh, that's the one! He wills himself to fall asleep-not very difficult in that situation-, and soon drifts off. Hedwig, who had been lounging around up until that moment, stared at Kinzoku in astonishment as the ice around him suddenly melted away,leaving just the Skarmory's prone, sleeping form.

OOO
Mai: Hedwig (F)
Jynx
Energy: 53%
Status: +2 Sp. attack, speed and Sp. Defence. Pleased at how the round went, but wondering how Kinzoku managed to break free.

OOO
Larissa: Kinzoku (M)
Skarmory
Health: 63%
Energy: 44%
Notes:
-Kinzoku is asleep due to Rest.
-Rest doesn't require movement, so Kinzoku managed to pull it off.
-Kinzoku's Rest melted all the ice around him, curing freeze and removing the speed loss.
-However, getting rid of it all caused him to only gain 1 hp this round.
-Hedwig couldn't use Lovely Kiss or Blizzard effectively on the third turn, and so used Calm Mind instead.
-Hedwig's Blizzard was slightly more effective on Kinzoku since he was flying in the air;
-Kinzoku was easily frozen since he already was coated with ice.
-Kinzoku wasn't very high when he was frozen and the ice block landed on snow, so the fall didn't affect his Freeze status (not that it mattered).

Arena: Seafoam Islands
Icy waters surround a rectangular platform, about a metre above the water level. The arena is partially frozen around the edges, and a fence of short (mere centimetres tall) icicles surrounds the frost-littered platform (although the amount is so little that it doesn't affect the battlers), a side-effect of the arena being the home of the legendary Articuno. The rectangular platform spans perhaps fifteen metres by twenty metres, yet the icy lake surrounding it spans twice as far around, being abruptly cut-off by the sturdy cave walls at each end. However, just behind the platform an icy waterfall flows, ten metres high. It would raise the water level; yet another waterfall at the opposing end of the arena diverts the excess water out of the cave and into the sea surrounding the islands. Fortunately, the pull of the flow is very weak and as such will not make any difference to any pokémon that happen to be in the water. The arena is cold to begin with, yet temperatures drop further as the battle progresses. The legendary bird Articuno watches, unseen, and as he remains the air around him becomes colder and colder, the water in the arena gradually freezing until, after six rounds, the water in the arena is completely frozen, creating an extended icy platform for pokémon to use. The ice is so strong that even the heaviest of pokémon will be able to set foot upon it.

Pre-Round Statistics

Necromancy (1/1 Pokemon Remaining)
[Squash] Quagsire (M)
Ability: Damp

Nova (1/1 Pokemon Remaining)
[Kusari] Meganium (F)
Ability: Overgrow

Round 1:

Squash and Kusari face each other, as they stand on opposite ends of the ice platform.

Kusari starts the battle off by pulling her head back, before almost having it touch the ice, as razor sharp leaves are released from the petals around her neck. The leaves fly towards the blank-faced Squash, who begins to concentrate, before an orange aura surrounds his body.

The leaves hit the orange force field, before flying back towards Kusari, twice as fast as before, but not without leaving a few scratches on Squash. Kusari, surprised by the return of her own attack, forgets to move out of the way, before the leaves strike her own body. The high speed attack causes several cuts on Kusari’s hide.

Next Squash focuses on forming a transparent-green barrier around himself. Kusari, eager to inflict some more damage on her opponent, she fires several brown seeds from behind her neck. While in midair, the seeds open creating a tangle of vines, which look slightly like a net. However when the vines hit the barrier, they just fall to the ground uselessly.

Kuari, while she wants to attack Squash desperately, is unsure of how to use the attack Nova has told her to use. Squash, likewise, has no idea how to use the attack that Necromancy has told him to use. Therefore Kusari just glares at Squash, while Squash just has a blank grin.

End of Round Statistics

Necromancy (1/1 Pokemon Remaining)
[Squash] Quagsire (M)
Ability: Damp
Health: 89%

Nova (1/1 Pokemon Remaining)
[Kusari] Meganium (F)
Ability: Overgrow
Health: 90%
Energy: 93%

Notes:

When Squash was sent out, it was said he had no signature move, and no detail was given on it, therefore it could not be used.

Meganium cannot learn Seed Bomb (since I don’t think platinum moves can be used yet).

Here's paychecks for the last two weeks; sorry, referee evaluations are going to have to wait for... a while.

Crazy Linoone: 1 = $3
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 = $30
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 = $10

Back
Top Bottom