• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Serial Comma!

Do you use/approve of serial commas?

• Total voters
Yesplz. It just doesn't feel right if you don't have a comma there. ;_;

I always include a serial comma, though I didn't know that they had a special name until today. That's how I was taught, and it doesn't look right to me without one. Like ... said, it feels like there's something missing.

I never used to do it, but now things just don't look right without it.

EDIT: To clarify, I use it when I make lists e.g. jam, ham, and yam.

I said reduce. In most cases, it is less ambiguous, and when it is more, leaving the comma out doesn't always help. Citing one of wiki's examples:

They went to Oregon with Betty, a maid and a Catholic priest.

They could just as easily be going to Oregon with Betty, who is both a maid and a catholic priest. The other example relies on background knowledge to be unambiguous, so, uh.

That wiki article in general is pretty terrible, though. It uses the same example for "creating ambiguity" and "unresolved ambiguity", so clearly something is not quite right.

proof that this board has the most random subjects ever

I end up using them all the time in lists (as in "this, that, and these"). Doesn't look right to me otherwise.

Sometimes use it, sometimes don't. I'm pretty inconsistent on the whole when it comes to the English language...

Back
Top Bottom