• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

I still don't really get why a space for background info/custom sprites/theme music/whatever other miscellaneous info people want to keep track of needs to be implemented in the database at all, rather than putting it all in some sort of optional Profile Archive thread like it was when tCoDASB was run through the forum hack. That worked pretty well before and saves a lot of work on the database for something not everyone's going to take advantage of or pay any attention to.

That is insanely true.

Sangfroidish said:
I still don't really get why a space for background info/custom sprites/theme music/whatever other miscellaneous info people want to keep track of needs to be implemented in the database at all, rather than putting it all in some sort of optional Profile Archive thread like it was when tCoDASB was run through the forum hack. That worked pretty well before and saves a lot of work on the database for something not everyone's going to take advantage of or pay any attention to.

I strongly disagree that profile threads worked 'pretty well' before - they're not easy to navigate, they're kinda ugly, and vbulletin just doesn't have very good tools for displaying groups of information (like, a table or something). What happens is you get an entire thread of center-aligned sprites and descriptions which basically nobody wants to read through.

Why wouldn't this stuff go in the database? Each pokemon has an individual page specifically for that purpose - so long as the custom information doesn't get in the way of other, more necessary data (experience, ability, etc.) then I honestly don't see why it's a problem. Given that the more important details are already present in a table where your pokemon are listed, it's not like you'd even need to visit each pokemon's page if you're not interested in that information. I'm also a really strong proponent of anything to do with the actual pokemon or logistics of the game (buying pokemon, the bank, profiles, etc.) should be kept on the database, while everything else (battling, discussion) should take place on the forum, because it plays to the strengths of those formats. Forums are good for writing and little else: why would we not place art & custom stuff on individual pages when profiles are already in the database anyway?

that being said, I'm not sure how customizable profiles would be anyway, beyond flavour text and some images. we're not going to go to the lengths that neopets goes to, with editable HTML and stuff.

also i'm vetoing background music right now, that's not happening

I see your points. A thread would at least be better than nothing until customisation can be implemented in the database, though.

(And I wasn't saying theme music as in music that plays in the background on the Pokémon's profile or anything, I meant how in the profile archives before people would put Youtube URLs to whatever piece of music for each of their Pokémon.)

The pages for the various types in the database should probably indicate special abilities and immunities the types have - no poisoning poison-types or steel-types, no burning fire-types, no freezing ice-types, no paralyzing electric-types, and in particular a reminder that powders and spores don't work on Grass-types.

I'm really good at doing things way later than I should, and one thing I've noticed while doing this is that if someone edits their active squad, the list of Pokemon on the first post of any of their battles changes to reflect it. I've so far noticed a Drilbur popping up in a post when there were only two Pokemon in the active squad at the start of a battle, and also a Honedge being replaced with a Doublade (though the Honedge in question is actually participating in the battle, as a Honedge) after presumably finding enough EXP to evolve somewhere else.

I can't computer worth a damn, but if there's a way to fix that it might save some headache?

I'm really good at doing things way later than I should, and one thing I've noticed while doing this is that if someone edits their active squad, the list of Pokemon on the first post of any of their battles changes to reflect it. I've so far noticed a Drilbur popping up in a post when there were only two Pokemon in the active squad at the start of a battle, and also a Honedge being replaced with a Doublade (though the Honedge in question is actually participating in the battle, as a Honedge) after presumably finding enough EXP to evolve somewhere else.

I can't computer worth a damn, but if there's a way to fix that it might save some headache?

Are... are you sure? Zora of Termina and I own the only two Doublade in the league, and I looked through all of our battles and none of them have a Doublade listed (either in the thread or in the database's page for the battle) when a Honedge is participating...

I'm ... pretty sure that doesn't happen? Looking through my old battles, none of the first posts have changed after changing my active squad?

I don't even know how that would happen, given that the first post active squads are literally just BBCode.

okay upon further review I am an idiot and I was looking at the DB pages for the battles instead of the TCoD threads, sorry! Disregard the above post

okay upon further review I am an idiot and I was looking at the DB pages for the battles instead of the TCoD threads, sorry! Disregard the above post

Those actually shouldn't be changing anyway, so if they are that's a pretty big bug. Do you know which battle had the thing with the Drilbur?

Birdcrest v. Zero Moment has Digger the Drilbur, who isn't listed in my initial threadpost.

I think I was looking at the wrong battle for the Doublade thing, and now that I'm (briefly) looking things over in daylight rather than 2am-light, the Drilbur might have been a one-time thing, but it's definitely there

Birdcrest v. Zero Moment has Digger the Drilbur, who isn't listed in my initial threadpost.

I think I was looking at the wrong battle for the Doublade thing, and now that I'm (briefly) looking things over in daylight rather than 2am-light, the Drilbur might have been a one-time thing, but it's definitely there

Hmm, it looks like it might have gotten edited out by mistake. The Drilbur was created before the start date of that battle, and was presumably not just in the PC for no reason, so that seems the most likely explanation.

That battle's thread was apparently created three days before it was created in the db; I'm guessing those three days are when Birdcrest bought Digger. I mean, he has five other Pokémon who haven't poofed into that battle, so I really doubt that's what happened there.

You know what would be pretty cool (albeit maybe difficult to put together the data from old battles)?

So the database already calculates when Pokemon get EXP/happypoints. Why not list, on each individual Pokemon's page, the battles where they got their EXP? I imagine there's a way to code it so the database automatically lists a battle on all participating mons' pages when that battle is closed. This way if you're curious to see, for instance, where Lover Man, ¡Olé! ¡Olé! got enough EXP to evolve, you could see that 3 EXP came from Keldeo vs Eifie and the other 2 EXP came from I have no idea where because we don't have this feature. See, this is why we need this feature.

You know what would be pretty cool (albeit maybe difficult to put together the data from old battles)?

So the database already calculates when Pokemon get EXP/happypoints. Why not list, on each individual Pokemon's page, the battles where they got their EXP? I imagine there's a way to code it so the database automatically lists a battle on all participating mons' pages when that battle is closed. This way if you're curious to see, for instance, where Lover Man, ¡Olé! ¡Olé! got enough EXP to evolve, you could see that 3 EXP came from Keldeo vs Eifie and the other 2 EXP came from I have no idea where because we don't have this feature. See, this is why we need this feature.

wow shame JackPK (it was from the 3v3v3 that you were in! gosh!)

I think we could reconstruct this all with the data already in the database, except for uses of Rare Candies (and paid evolutions, if those give out money. and special events that give out experience... :O). Remind me to look into it sometime. (Also, at least, coming soon in the database, battle outcomes will be displayed on their pages and Pokémon that participated will be highlighted, and then number of KOs will be shown.)

Mmmm, I've had a thought. I know there's been a lot of debate on commanding your Pokemon to wait until {X}. How about reducing the commanded Pokemon's priority bracket, perhaps to a minimum of one less than that move's normal bracket? So, for example, a waiting Shinx could use Shock Wave after a Deino's Facade, but a waiting Buizel using Aqua Jet would still move faster than a Lampent using Acid.

Not sure how viable it is, but I think it's an interesting thing to discuss.

This is probably silly but something I noticed in the ASB item shop - the Eject button doesn't do anything which is a bit strange. I realise that it can't work as it does in the games (get hit by a physical move and you switch out) but maybe it could work as an 'escape' option. My idea was to have to enable a pokemon to escape from Mean Look, Block and other moves that would otherwise prevent switching. Yay/nay?

This is probably silly but something I noticed in the ASB item shop - the Eject button doesn't do anything which is a bit strange. I realise that it can't work as it does in the games (get hit by a physical move and you switch out) but maybe it could work as an 'escape' option. My idea was to have to enable a pokemon to escape from Mean Look, Block and other moves that would otherwise prevent switching. Yay/nay?

There's already an item that does that, though - Shed Shell.

Maybe make the user 'eject' from their current spot and have a similar function to an ejector seat and fly into the air and land far away, say too far for a physical attack to strike?

So, a minor bit of discussion has recently come up on the matter of whether single-action uses of two-turn moves, with the due energy penalty, should come out at a low priority. Seems that some refs do this, but not everyone's aware; as it's a matter that can really trip up a trainer that wasn't aware, there should be an all-encompassing agreement on whether this happens or not. If we make it official, I'll go ahead and edit the two-turn moves' pages to mention it, so there'll hopefully not be any confusion.

In any case, the discussion is on. As far as I can tell people are generally in favour of the idea, provided that it doesn't come out of nonwhere to trip anyone up. In any case, please go ahead if you have anything in particular to say for or against the matter.

(For added reference, this has been briefly discussed in the A&A guide before, although Negrek herself didn't give the conclusions any direct say-so)

Back
Top Bottom