• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The HeartGold/SoulSilver Status Thread

Okay I've decided to start over and I've decided to use Bellossom.

Only problem: I know how to get a Sun Stone, but I've done the Bug Catching Contest three times. The first time I caught a Beedrill. The second time I caught a Pinsir. The third time I caught a Scyther. All three times, I did not place anywhere. My Pinsir and Scyther were literally beat by Paras and Kakuna - and then, adding insult to injury, the first placer in the one where I got Pinsir was another Pinsir, and the one where I got Scyther had a Scyther place first.

How the hell is the contest judged nowadays and how the hell am I supposed to win a Sun Stone like this?

Try the Pokethlon. I believe they have just about every evolution stone available, depending on the day (but you can mess with the clock for that)

I'm not sure anyone really knows exactly how the bugs in the contests are scored, and if they do they aren't sharing very widely as far as I'm aware. Higher levels and higher evolution stages are definitely factors, and a glance through an HGSS walkthrough while I was at the store the other day said that shininess is also beneficial. A few GameFAQs walkthroughs suggest that catching a pokémon without weakening it too much weighs into it as well, though I'm not sure that that's backed up by any proof. I'd be willing to bet that IVs matter a little, too. I personally haven't won first place in HGSS and don't remember what I did the last time I won in GSC, but it sounds like your best bet is a full-health Lv14 Scyther/Pinsir, Lv15 Butterfree/Beedril or Lv18 Kakuna/Metapod.

EDIT: Okay, Bulbapedia says (though I don't recall it having this much information the last time I looked a little while ago, so I believe it's a relatively recent edit) that it's the sum of the stats + health remaining, and that factors like shininess matter very little. The discussion page says a bit more on it. That more or less corroborates the guides, then.

Hm... of course, one of the GameFAQs guides has what must be the best set of instructions ever:

whichever walkthrough it was I forget said:
If it is Tuesday, you can talk to the guard to enter in the Bug Catching
Contest. To win, simply catch a Pinsir. At the end of the event, everyone
receives a Shed Shell as a consolation prize.

Last edited:
Fighting Bruno as I type this. Was completely curbstomping him until stupid No Guard-Machamp reared his ugly head and Rock Slide'd poor Tobias (the Pidgeot) when he was Flying.

EDIT: AHJADGKFSLEWY FUCK YOU KAREN AND YOUR STUPID HAXING UMBREON OF DOOM I have to go back and grind now. I remembered how easy the Elite Four was in GSC, so I went really underleveled. Little did I know they were made about 7 times harder thanks to new moves and abilities. Argh...

Last edited:
Did some grinding at Mt. Silver last night, now I'm training on Falkner.

Toto is level 60, my Snorlax is getting close to 54, and the rest are 50-below.

FINALLY got my HG in the mail (in Scotland with an American DS derp). Been playing for about two hours now before work. Having a blast.

My Name: Mango :) (am I the only one who uses the smilies in their name?)

Team

James Dean (Totodile) level 11
Struvite (Geodude) level 13
:talking: (Pidgey) level 13

Just rolled through the Bellsprout Tower using :talking: and roflstomped Falkner with Struvite. Gotta go to work now, and I'm out in town tonight, but might take some time to catch myself a Mareep before I head out.

Bonus points to whoever knows what my Geodude's name is referencing. (Veterinary major, here)

I'm in Azalea, having problems with my rival xD
It's his damned Zubat. I can take out Quilava easily enough, but it always results in my Bayleef fainting at some point. Oh well, grind grind grind~

Currently;
Bayleef
Lellorf
Lv. 16
Rattata
Wendige
Lv. 13
Beedrill
Lagann
Lv. 12
Zubat
Croze
Lv. 14
Nidoranm
(No nickname yet, I caught it on the Walker)
Lv. 15

Training and heading to Cianwood. Cynda the Quilava at level 25, booted Poliwhirl and Flaafy for a Chinchou, and my Golbat evolved into a Crobat only 3 levels later. Oh, and I have an Eevee I might pokewalk and two HM slaves. Surely there has to be good training spots around here; half the region is like level 9-15 :o

Just beat Pryce, and I'm in Goldenrod, about to foil the Rockets' plans again. Aw.

I'm kind of impatient for eight o'clock in the evening, when I'll be able to level up my Eevee and he'll be able to evolve into an Umbreon.

This game is loads of fun and has amused me. The photographer guy is awesome.

Just started yesterday and I'm already in Goldenrod for my third badge. My team:

Spearow (lv.17)
Pidgeotto (lv.18)
Bayleef (lv.19)
Flaafy (lv.16)
Slowpoke (lv.9)

Still trying to bump everyone into lv. 20.

Morty has been defeated! He was very easy thanks to Togi's Extrasensory.

My party(all Lv.20):
Scrabble/Butterfree(M)
Togi/Togetic(M)
Wooda/Sudowoodo(F)
Flaro/Quilava(M)
Ghosto/Gastly(M)
Hanara/Hoothoot(F)

Also, immediately after I explored the Burned Tower, I went south of the city to train. The very first encounter I have is with Entei.

Badges: 8
Pokédex: 166

[Vulcan Rex] Typhlosion (M) Lv40
[Bossa Nova] Miltank (F) Lv38
[Keleth] Xatu (F) Lv37
[Cain] Politoed (M) Lv38
[Shisa] Raikou (X) Lv41
[Janeiro] Hitmontop (M) Lv38

Finally got the hitmontop I'd been considering, and so far he's pretty cool. :) I think I'll be using these more often. I probably could've defeated the E4 a few days ago but I haven't played in a little while, so I'm just going to catch a few more, get everyone to at least level 40 and then go for it.

Finally managed to win a Bug-Catching Contest, too. The first thing I saw was a level 15 beedrill, and after I put it to sleep and lobbed a few balls at it I had it at full health. I guess that does work, then.

^ Hitmontop! I've been wanting to try using one of those for a while. I'm probably going to end up frustrating the hell out of myself making its stats equal or whatever though. Was that hard?

I've made it to the victory road gate and am almost finished grinding before I move on. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have the E4 beaten tonight. :v I also made a little keychain for my Pokewalker out of some red and black string and a keyring. Only I can't do crafts at all, so the braiding or whatever it is the internet showed me how to do looks ridiculous. Oh well, it serves its purpose.

Edit: Oh, I finally got around to trying the Pokethlon yesterday too. I think I did the power course or something. I hate little touchscreen gimmick minigames. :[

Not really. I just needed to buy a few irons because his defense was a little low. Of course, I ended up having to buy a few more than was probably necessary--I was counting on both his attack and his defense going up by 1 when he went from 19 to 20 and it didn't work out that way (and I didn't learn my lesson when he grew from 20 to 21, gah). But it's not like it took forever or required anything particularly fiddly.

Soo my HG arrived yesterday and I am currently dossing about in Azalea, post-Slowpoke Well saga and pre-Silver and Bugsy. The giant oven in Charcoal man's house made me think of Sweeney Todd, and it it's a little unnerving how far into it you can get. o_O

Team of just now consists of:
Rattata Lv. 12 (Biggles)
Sentret Lv. 11 (Saski)
Cyndaquil Lv. 13 (Luke)
Togepi Lv.1 (only just hatched - called it April even though it's a boy because EASTER = IN APRIL = EGGS creativity maxout)
Onix Lv. 11 (Rocky - the traded one)
Butterfree Lv. 12 (Minerva)

Also rotating Gilderoy the Lv. 12 Bellsprout and Babs (short for Baaaabara haha. Yeah) the Lv. 13 Mareep into the team.

Whoops, I think I just missed a call. I want my Pokegear radio already. :c

Decided to just go for it at the E4 with most of my Pokemon level 40 and two still in the late 30's. Will and Koga down; saved in front of Bruno.

Whoo so I beat Falkner and my time reads over five hours because of all the time I spent catching and training. :V

Pokédex: 24
Team:
[Gatorface] Totodile (M) Level 11
[Maya] Gastly (F) Level 11
[Flamelo] Spearow (M) Level 12
[Violetwing] Butterfree (F) Level 10
[ELEKID] Elekid (NO SHIT) (M) Level 11
Egg

Also got a Hoppip in the PokéWalker. Just caught the Elekid from the PokéWalker (hence the lack of nickname) and I'm gonna use it. Not using the Butterfree; it's only there 'cause I needed to evolve my Caterpie for 'dex data.

Probably killing off the entire Route 45 population of Graveler in my quest to get Solanum and Laluz up to Lv45. At least Solanum (now Lv42) finally learned a better Grass attack than Vine Whip (it's Razor Leaf.) She wanted to learn Slam too, but I didn't want to get rid of PoisonPowder or Acid, and I can't get rid of Cut, and besides its accuracy sucks. Something I didn't learn in Yellow when teaching it to Pika, because it didn't tell you ANYTHING about the moves in Gen I.

Beat Clair - and then the Kimono Girls - and am about to head to the Whirl Islands.

I'm really enjoying walking with my team. I will never get tired of striding around inside small buildings with a huge red sea monster in tow.

Back
Top Bottom