• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
By "notable" I take it you mean "well-known", "influential" and also "positive". That last one makes it quite a bit harder :/

If you're mentioning Willow, it's really only fair that you mention Tara, too.

You should probably mention Ellen, as in the fictional character played by Ellen Degeneres on her sitcom back in th' day. I think it was the first coming-out of a character on mainstream US TV, so she's notable.

I know The O.C. had a lesbian couple in at some point (I think their names were Alex and Mariska) - one of them was played by Olivia Wilde, but it didn't last for very long or end well.

OOH. DUMBLEDORE <3

Actually, I've just remembered something very useful.

(that's a bit of a recent list - if the poll had been taken five years ago, Willow would certianly top it, and Ellen would if it was ten, but it's still a good representation)

Aah! And afterelton have their own list, too! Awesome.

That should help :)

Edit: Haha, the top two on the women's and top three on the men's lists are from the UK XD

I actually don't see Dumbledore as particularly positive. His one likely romance was with a crazy evil guy. :( Particularly given Rowling's fondness for babies ever after....

You're right. I suppose he was a "positive character who was gay", but his gayness itself wasn't exactly positive. Or, uh, mentioned. Which would've probably helped. :/

...but Willow, Tara, Naomi, Emily, and the entire cast of Torchwood aren't on that list at all! And Ellen gets on there twice! D:

And holy moley, Eastenders has had a lot of LGBT characters over the years.

Ooh, Emily and Naomi from Skins, I forgot about them.

I haven't seen the second generation of Skins which is where they were, but if the opinions of people my school are anything to go by, they were definitely positively influential.

Amusingly, nobody seems to use any homophobic slang here in the UK. Nobody knows what the other meaning of dyke is, I don't remember anyone ever saying faggot (mainly because it's a sausage or something) and a fag is only ever a cigarette.

The worse thing I get is this random hoarde of year sevens and eights who follow us and go "OH MY GOD, YOU'RE... YOU'RE GAY!" Yes, well done, child. I actually already know, but really. Thanks.

Yeah, people in Houston are incredibly insensitive, not just about gay slurs, but other slurs, offensive humor, and everything else. Political correctness is a foreign concept. :/

At least this was born out of insensitivity as opposed to actual hatred. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a gay mayor. Annise Parker is actually qualified to be mayor as opposed to abusing the lesbian card, so all the tea-party-independent people who claim that Obama was elected because he's black - no matter how they felt about homosexuality - felt like hypocrites to not vote for Parker just because she's a lesbian.

Anyways, am I the only gay guy on earth who is attracted to every part of a man except the penis? I mean it's just an ugly dangling thing that you can rub for pleasure to me.

Oh God. Dangling thing... XD

Well... I've never really seen the appeal of... uh, the penis, myself. :P So I can see where you're coming from. And by the way, I'm an almost-lesbian (bisexual usually with tendencies towards girls) and I used to be kind of meh about boobs and ewwwww about, uh, vajayjays and that general area.

I am such a prude.

all genitals are gross but you just have to not think about that when you're doing whatever :B

also
today I got a letter from Nottingham Gender Idenity Clinic
I am officially on the waiting list for an appointment, I just have to fill out all these forms they sent me...
I'm actually excited about all this but at the same time it's bloody nerve wracking, probably because I'm gonna be doing this pretty much alone... I'm gonna be changing my name legally in a few months but without telling my parents
probably not the best of ideas but I don't want to be pressured into not doing any of this, like my dad has tried to do several times before

^ you gotta do what you gotta do, although i'd probably tell your parents to avoid... surprise finding-outs. or something. hmm...

i'm changing my name in the next couple of months as well. makes me very happy. except my parents have to agree with whatever middle name i choose and i'm having difficulties deciding.
they won't let me pick silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom