• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The new Pet Peeves thread

I really hate people who stand in front of the bus stop so no one else can see unless they stand up. I mean seriously, it could be a ridiculously hot day where one can get a heat stroke while standing in the hot sun.

Seriously, have these ppl not acknowledged the people sitting? It really ticks me off.

Also, people who play music on their iPods ridiculously loud that you can here it half way across the room. Don't they have the slightest concern for their hearing?

I don't have many I don't think, or it's not very easy to recollect them off the top of my head.

-People who make no effort to keep their smoke away from areas where it's supposed to be kept away from. Designated areas are there so that those of us that don't want to breathe it in (or even more importantly, who are allergic or sensitive) know where to go to avoid it.
-People who carry their music around with them in those speaker phone/device thingies. I don't want to hear that crap when I need to stay on the bus. (perhaps that only irritates me because music to me is like poison)
-Teachers who give their favourites lots of one-to-one help, then tell the rest of us who ask for help that they don't have the time.
-When people like my mum think that all fat and sugar is bad, and risk the health of their children by omitting these things from their diets without doing the proper research.
-People who eat in class when there are signs up everywhere saying not to eat in class. It smalls disgusting.
-Teachers who do not enforce the above rule.
-Teachers who break the above rule.
-Neighbours who think it's their right and privelage to have loud parties at 1 AM+ in the morning and that their right to party takes precedence over everyone else's right to sleep.
-Councils who do jack shit about above pet peve despite multiple complaints from multiple neighbours.
-Having plans for the next day and not getting any sleep the night before, resulting in cancellation of said plans.
-Parents who teach their young children obscene, disgusting habbits.
-Parents who act no older than their young children.

That's all for now, I might edit in more if I think of any.

-Smoking
-Teachers with favorites
-Gay as an insult
-Stereotypes
-Bad parents
-When people play iPods really loud so that the whole world can hear it
-New cartoons (league of super evil, johnny test, ect)
-People that act like they're better than everyone else (also: elitists)
-The pantry door being left open
-Liking games JUST for graphics
-Fanboys
-pointless arguements
-People chewing with their mouths open
-People that smell like pee
-People with no manners

there's more but I can't remember them all and the post is getting long so yeah :I

What is this? I'm intrigued.

ALL OF THESE except maybe coathangers and 'British Accent' (why do you hate that?).

In order to pass the Bechdel Test, a film must have:
1. at least two women, who
2. has a conversation about
3. something other than a man

The beauty of this test is that it has such a ridiculously low threshold for films to get over, and yet a surprisingly huge number of films don't. Just two of the nine Pixar films pass, for example, and Lord of the Rings, The Matrix and loads of other really massive movies fail horribly.

There's also the Reverse Bechdel Test, where there has to be at least two men to discuss something other than a woman, and the only film that I can think of that fails is Kiki's Delivery Service. And possibly WALL-E.

And lots of people get up in arms about people talking about a "British accent" because there isn't one. Every reigion has a different accent, and the term "British accent" generally implies that the user thinks all British people speak like the Queen. But everyone does it; I mean there isn't one "Australian accent", but people talk about it like there is.

Last edited:
And lots of people get up in arms about people talking about a "British accent" because there isn't one. Every reigion has a different accent, and the term "British accent" generally implies that the user thinks all British people speak like the Queen. But everyone does it; I mean there isn't one "Australian accent", but people talk about it like there is.
indeed!

Seriously, like every town has it's own accent almost
And since I live with a Londoner and a Brummie up north, my accent changes all the time lmao

Hmm...

-Discrimination of any kind
-People who are rude for no apparent reason
-Backstabbers and people who pretend to like you but betray you
-People who think they're better than everyone younger than them (especially if they're only a year or so older)
-People who make a lot of noise (like talking or tapping their pen on a table) when I'm trying to concentrate on something
-People who don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze
-Children who intentionally break rules and then try to blame someone or cover it up
-People who can't seem to understand a rule when it's been repeated to them twenty times
-Excessive swearing
-People who complain excessively

indeed!

Seriously, like every town has it's own accent almost
And since I live with a Londoner and a Brummie up north, my accent changes all the time lmao

Hehe, I live with someone from South Wales and someone from Essex (watching Gavin & Stacey with them both is hilarious), and combined with my mixed Southern (born in Suffolk, live in Devon) accent, we pronounce everything differently X3

Recently it's been bugging me more and more that "America" means "the United States". Which, to me, is like calling Belgium Europe. It doesn't make a lot of sense, especially since "the US" and "the States" is just as quick to type/say and doesn't potentially include Argentina.

Earlier today I had a type of quiz that asked me what the Ring of Fire was, and I answered "a line of volcanoes surrounding America." As in, North America and South America. Thankfully Darksong corrected me that it was in the Pacific Ocean. This may sound off-topic, but notice the "surrounding America" part.

One reason I agree to Dannichu's spelling thing (not that I don't disagree normally) is that the word "color" really DOES look like it's missing a letter...

All you Europeans with your weird spellings of "color"
Color looks so weird with an extra letter

Also, I have some stuff to add:

-People who doesn't flush the toilet. Eew. Really... eeewwwww.
-When public toilets only have hot air-dryers instead of paper to dry your hands.
-Wasps
-Flies
-Prejudicing and stereotyping of any kind
-The "<3" heart. I REALLY hate that thing...
-Blinking lights
-Those seizure-blinking "YOU WON" ads.
-Homework

-People who complain excessively

OH YES.

So annoying. I mean one person at school complains about
1) Getting homework.
2) Not getting homework.
3) The existence of birds.
4) People who you play against online but don't actually do anything ("When has this happened to you?" "Well... it hasn't, but I still don't like it")

EDIT:
5) People complaining about his constant complaining.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'll list some really obscure ones I have that people probably haven't posted yet...

- Cars parking at corners. Honestly, get out of the way please. You're not supposed to park there. Now I can't see the incoming car, and the incoming car can't see me. Do you know how dangerous that is to pedestrians/bikers/other drivers?
- Using "gay" as an insult.
- Whispering. Honestly, if you're going to talk, just talk properly. Whispering in front of someone is rude. Really rude.
- Annoying children. Self explanatory.
- Writer's block (also known as GAH I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO WRITE EVEN THOUGH IT'S DUE TOMORROW D:)
- When the sound is out of sync with the pictures in a film/anime/show/whatever. I was just watching Darker than Black the other day, and the sound and the subs were out of sync with the animation. A person's mouth would move, then, after something else has happened, the person's sound would come on with the subtitles translating it. So horrible...
- Flipping to a page in a book, only to accidentally close it and had to flip to that page again.
- Drawing something on paper, erasing it to fix it, only to find that the original drawing that I erased was better.
- Rabid fangirls. They are scary. Really scary.
- Mornings. Especially early mornings, when you're all warm under your cover but noooo you have to get up and go to school...

Will add more if I feel like it. And, to contribute to whatever the currently topic is, I like "colour" better than "color". "Color" just looks like it's missing something.

- Cars parking at corners. Honestly, get out of the way please. You're not supposed to park there. Now I can't see the incoming car, and the incoming car can't see me. Do you know how dangerous that is to pedestrians/bikers/other drivers?
- Using "gay" as an insult.
- Annoying children. Self explanatory.
- Writer's block (also known as GAH I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO WRITE EVEN THOUGH IT'S DUE TOMORROW D:)
- When the sound is out of sync with the pictures in a film/anime/show/whatever. I was just watching Darker than Black the other day, and the sound and the subs were out of sync with the animation. A person's mouth would move, then, after something else has happened, the person's sound would come on with the subtitles translating it. So horrible...
- Flipping to a page in a book, only to accidentally close it and had to flip to that page again.
- Rabid fangirls. They are scary. Really scary.
- Mornings. Especially early mornings, when you're all warm under your cover but noooo you have to get up and go to school...

Agree with these.

Also, I like "color" better.

Back
Top Bottom