• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Theism, Religion and Lack thereof

Needn't give sympathy, I am the one choosing not to debate anymore. I'm just tired. So uh...happy. ^_^ But furthermore, you all used the power of rational logical to defeat me, so yay. *claps*

We don't want to necessarily beat you, though, or, at least, I don't, and I'm pretty sure that for the majority of debating TCoDians, we don't debate for the satisfaction of victory. We just want to engage in intelligent discourse. You giving up doesn't make us happy, it's not a reason to celebrate. Quite the opposite actually, at least it is for me, I can't speak for the whole forum. That one of my debating opponents would concede to me but not my arguments is, well, a loss really. When one debates, one is trying to convince another that a certain viewpoint is correct. If you quit the debate without being convinced, then the debate is lost.

I'm not here for a debate so much as I'm genuinely interested in what people think; it's not often that I can ask lots of questions about religion because most of the time people get offended so I can't ask. :< I'm sorry if I upset you! I'm just... really curious about why people believe.

I meant all of the followers of his beliefs.

If you want, you can find God in a lump of coal. Meaningless.

Because Jesus Christ had nothing to gain from it, this is the third time I've said this.

But whether Jesus stands to gain anything is quite irrelevant to the question as to whether God exists. It doesn't say anything about that. Nor does it say anything about his existence even.

Because I know unlike the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (which are funny parody religions that I happen to like, actually, more the latter than former), and unlike the person-gain seeking Muhammad's Allah, and the cruel Yahweh, I just happen to think Jesus's account rings most truthful due to circumstances. I do *research* other religions, I don't just blindly pick one. And from my research, I think Jesus had the least to gain but stated his beliefs anyway, and for that, they must've been important to him, thus I am inclined to believe in him.

But why particularly Jesus then? Atheists stand nothing to gain to proclaim their beliefs, and yet you don't believe them!

Evidence please.

I don't remember the exact quote, but I believe it's in Luke. Luke 12 maybe? I'll get back to you on this.

What beautiful world?

Terra.

I don't get your use of irony.

It's ironic you claim you get your morals from the Bible when you most likely eat shellfish and don't stone gays. You've decided they're useless constructs. This means you're getting your criteria to decide which part of the Bible is true from somewhere else, i.e. not from the Bible. If you are, you are contradicting yourself thanks to the fact that then the Bible must contradict itself.

You can't cherrypick your favourite parts from the Bible and claim to be inspired by the whole and claim all of it true. The fact it is so inconsistent sheds doubt on its entire content.

You just can't decide not to have psychological problems. Elsewise psychologists would not have a job.

Oh you can have psychological problems all right. I went to a psychologist too. However, I'm not afraid of admitting my mistakes. I'm not afraid of pretty much anything mental.

That said, it's attitude that really helps in combating any mental issues. It's how you approach it that really matters. I used to have a pretty negative approach, I'm getting much better these days. It takes effort and patience to see things in more positive light. To make sure you're happy with who you are. You think I am infallible in that respect? I sure as hell am not.

The only reason I talk to you today is because I myself know how to keep myself happy and entertained and full of motivation and purpose. And that's still hard, even today.

I don't think my lack of happiness is related to my theism.

I think it is paramount! Religion systematically exploits guilt and fear, very strong human emotions. If you appeal to those, you can make people do anything.

Yes, and heard them.

Can you describe this to me?

If all non-physical equals non existent, do numbers exist?

Numbers do not exist physically, numbers are a mathematical, formal construct used to explain natural phenomena (i.e. adding one apple to another). But by physically I don't mean trees or tables. I'm pretty sure you know that.

But whether Jesus stands to gain anything is quite irrelevant to the question as to whether God exists. It doesn't say anything about that. Nor does it say anything about his existence even.
Oh, come on. Her point is not this hard to understand. It is perfectly sensible to estimate the probability somebody is lying is higher when they stand to gain something by lying than if they don't. Doesn't mean Jesus was right, of course (odds are he was honestly mistaken), and I'm not convinced Mohammed had any more reason to assume he would reap personal benefit from preaching what had been revealed to him than Jesus did, but the general logic of somebody being less likely to outright lie if they risk execution by doing so than if they foresee a substantial reward is perfectly sound.

It's ironic you claim you get your morals from the Bible when you most likely eat shellfish and don't stone gays.
Christ, she said about three times that she doesn't get her morals from the Bible. If you're going to debate with someone, at least read their arguments instead of posting the general rebuttal you normally post to people who fit loosely the same category as them.

Oh, come on. Her point is not this hard to understand. It is perfectly sensible to estimate the probability somebody is lying is higher when they stand to gain something by lying than if they don't. Doesn't mean Jesus was right, of course (odds are he was honestly mistaken), and I'm not convinced Mohammed had any more reason to assume he would reap personal benefit from preaching what had been revealed to him than Jesus did, but the general logic of somebody being less likely to outright lie if they risk execution by doing so than if they foresee a substantial reward is perfectly sound.

I get the logic but it seems useless to me. I mean, sure, Jesus could be honest, but even if he was honest that by no means proves anything written down in the Bible is sound.

I get the logic but it seems useless to me. I mean, sure, Jesus could be honest, but even if he was honest that by no means proves anything written down in the Bible is sound.

well let's look at your first question to prompt the response, which was, "What makes Jesus more believable then Muhammed?"

a) assuming the afterlife exists, and the only proof I can see is the bible. isn't it a bit too circular for the bible to teach of the afterlife that exists because what the bible says? it relies entirely on itself, from what I understand.
Well the concept of the afterlife predates Jesus' Teachings (~30's AD), and as such a clear defining of concepts that we already had is not circular at all.

b) if we need it in the society of the afterlife, why do we have it now, when as you've said before, what we do in this life doesn't matter because we'll be forgiven?
Perhaps God didn't want us to be completely shocked by everything in the afterlife so we can better function when we get there, and thus gave us a primer here? Thats my theory, anyway.

c) I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean that passages that are entirely irrelevant now (again, like eating shellfish!) are going to be somehow relevant when we die? why would this be the case? I'm not sure I understand your ideas of the afterlife, either, because they seem unconventional.
I am just saying that things like the shellfish thing might have just been helpful to the ancient Hebrew people. I mean, not eating certain animals might have helped them evade quite a few diseases, for instance.
but if particular passages are not truthful or misinterpreted because of that, isn't that still kind of undermining? considering people often take the bible at base value and few research into it quite as thoroughly as you, and the bible represents christianity, that seems a little shaky to me. How am I supposed to take the bible seriously as a religious text and evidence of God if the only evidence in the bible has been put together by men, who may not have represented God's/Jesus' teachings all that faithfully?
The wonderful thing about the Bible is that its a collection of books, and that if a book contradicts the other, its simply because the human council that put that book with the other were mistaken in their 4th Century historical research. I believe that the gospels were recorded by people who truly wanted to record what Jesus had to say, and thus I would assume it is accurate.
that's still persecution! withholding education from a certain group is sexist, yes. How is it not at least an indirect declaration of God, if preachers preach God's/Jesus' teachings?
Its persecution, yes, but it is not because of the Bible that it was being done. Withholding education was done long before Jesus came along, that is just how society worked.
And preacher to preacher advice is not indirectly a declaration of God. "Make sure the youngsters aren't dozing off in the pews." is not what I'd call God-declaration-material, but that is the same type of advice Paul was giving.

again, if there are some passages in the bible that we know do not represent God's teachings, how can we take much of the bible seriously? we only know that Paul et al doesn't represent God's word all that faithfully because there's been historical research into it; how do we know that passages describing the afterlife (for example) are any more faithful? because it's so old, we really don't know for sure I guess. :|
Again, the Bible is not a book. Its a collection of books, and thus some books can be more faithfully recorded and true than others.

okay, sure, but that still doesn't answer my question; I was using eating shellfish as an example of how the bible has become outdated. But, you've said previously that what we do in this life is irrelevant because we're all forgiven, so...? does this mean we can't eat shellfish in the afterlife either? because if so, I'm not going.
I have no idea what the afterlife is like for sure, but from what I can tell from what Jesus says, you can probably do what you like there, but the amount of spiritual fulfillment you will have will render whether or not you want to eat shellfish irrelevant.
if everyone technically breaks the holy law, why are they there in the first place? God must have high standards if everyone can break them so easily. why is it so important to not kill/steal/rape from a christian perspective if we're going to be forgiven anyway?
Because there is still the moral of "Treat others the way you want to be treated." You certainly don't want to be killed, stolen from, and raped, do you?
As well, I do believe the holy laws were written specifically for Jews so it can be the perfect environment for Christ to be raised.
For instance, they might have looked down on gay people, cross-breeding with other tribes, and incest so they can still have a stable population of Jews to welcome Christ when he comes. Outside of that purpose, those regulations are meaningless.
However, the morals that Christ taught, "Treat others the way you want to be treated." and many other good ones, are very much applicable to us today.
b) so how do you go about believing in God, especially from the bible? you've disregarded a few parts of the bible now because they don't accurately describe God or his teachings so... what makes the rest of it so believable? especially because there's no modern evidence of God aside from other people believing in him too?
Because the Bible is not one book, and the historical research that went into my findings are much improved than what went into the previous historical research sometime in the 4th Century.
so Paul himself is contradictory. ?_?
Well what I quoted was spiritual advice, what you quoted was practical preaching advice.
what you still haven't answered, which is the most important: how is having God be the answer to creation and the afterlife in any way a better explanation than the ones we have that are backed by evidence (or in the case of the afterlife not existing, lack of)? I cannot understand how believing in God is any more than an argument of ignorance; if you don't know the answer to something, you don't say 'it could be anything!', you say that you don't know. Why is God a better answer than not knowing? is it just because it's comforting?
No, actually, I think its more scientific to believe in a historical document in which someone documents many things about something unknown to most in their personal experiences to learn more about the unknown subject. Jesus' account of the afterlife is a discourse as helpful as a Roman historian's perspective on how Roman life was at the time, or Greek scholar's accounts of diseases that don't exist anymore, etcetera. It is important data that might have come about because Jesus had an unique perspective on reality, and I think it would be unscientific just to disregard someones perspective on reality if the unknown topic in question is personal experience based (the paranormal and the afterlife). Thus, I think it is better to take what evidence and conclusions we have than to throw our hands up in the air and say we don't know when we have what we do.
We don't want to necessarily beat you, though, or, at least, I don't, and I'm pretty sure that for the majority of debating TCoDians, we don't debate for the satisfaction of victory. We just want to engage in intelligent discourse. You giving up doesn't make us happy, it's not a reason to celebrate. Quite the opposite actually, at least it is for me, I can't speak for the whole forum. That one of my debating opponents would concede to me but not my arguments is, well, a loss really. When one debates, one is trying to convince another that a certain viewpoint is correct. If you quit the debate without being convinced, then the debate is lost.
Than debate I shall!
I'm not here for a debate so much as I'm genuinely interested in what people think; it's not often that I can ask lots of questions about religion because most of the time people get offended so I can't ask. :< I'm sorry if I upset you! I'm just... really curious about why people believe.
You didn't upset me, I was just tired.
If you want, you can find God in a lump of coal. Meaningless.
You were questioning if Jesus actually existed. I am saying if Jesus didn't exist, He wouldn't have followers today.
It's ironic you claim you get your morals from the Bible when you most likely eat shellfish and don't stone gays. You can't cherrypick your favourite parts from the Bible and claim to be inspired by the whole and claim all of it true. The fact it is so inconsistent sheds doubt on its entire content.

Butterfree's (how did that happen? o_o) reply to these were exactly how I felt on the matters.

But I will add: the Bible, as I have said before, is not one document with one audience. IT IS A COLLECTION OF BOOKS, AND THE PEOPLE WHO COLLECTED THESE BOOKS WERE A THIRD PARTY VERY LONG AGO USING HISTORICAL RESEARCH OF THE TIMES. Sorry, I wanted to make this abundantly clear so I don't have to repeat myself.

I believe in the gospels as the most historically true, and the ones directed specifically at us. The rest is very shaky in historical trueness, and are directed at ancient audiences (Old Testament=Ancient Hebrews, Paul's Writings=Ancient Churches).
If he is honest, that means his claims of godhood are true, that his claims of the afterlife are true, that his claims of Angels existing are true, and many other things. If he is honest, a lot of things about the afterlife and God are validated.
Oh you can have psychological problems all right. I went to a psychologist too. However, I'm not afraid of admitting my mistakes. I'm not afraid of pretty much anything mental.

That said, it's attitude that really helps in combating any mental issues. It's how you approach it that really matters. I used to have a pretty negative approach, I'm getting much better these days. It takes effort and patience to see things in more positive light. To make sure you're happy with who you are. You think I am infallible in that respect? I sure as hell am not.

The only reason I talk to you today is because I myself know how to keep myself happy and entertained and full of motivation and purpose. And that's still hard, even today.
I am happy for you. ^.^

I think it is paramount! Religion systematically exploits guilt and fear, very strong human emotions. If you appeal to those, you can make people do anything.
My religion fills me with love and enjoyment. I feel no guilt or fear, nor am I pressured into the religion by those (I mean, why would I be afraid of going to Hell if I don't join the religion if I don't believe in it because I'm not a part of the religion?). My religion makes me think my Death is the climax, not the ending.
Can you describe this to me?
Well I'm not saying this is what my faith is based on, or even that it is good evidence, but my mom is a paranormal investigator. She is a pretty skeptical person when it comes to these things, and does through analysis using voice recorders, cameras, etcetra. I think her EVPs (Electric Voice Phenomenon) are pretty convincing, I have watched her record them and didn't see any trickery involved, and the disembodied voices are pretty clear. However, I am not saying this as a debating point, just saying this has better convinced me personally.
Numbers do not exist physically, numbers are a mathematical, formal construct used to explain natural phenomena (i.e. adding one apple to another). But by physically I don't mean trees or tables. I'm pretty sure you know that.
Well, according to mathematical realism, mathematical concepts are actual, real things that are discovered by mathematical studies. I am a mathematical realist, and I believe numbers are non-physical things that exist.
well let's look at your first question to prompt the response, which was, "What makes Jesus more believable then Muhammed?"
You aren't answering anything with that. And you aren't going to keep me from debating, Pwnemon.

As far as I'm concerned, if God did nothing to punish the conquistadores, amongst other oppressive groups, who slaughtered thousands who refused to convert to Christianity, God either condoned the killings or does not exist.

Also, I like how nobody addressed my earlier point.

Guys, I think you are all being too harsh on Eloi. She's not saying anything crazy or hurtful, abd she's being realistic about the Bible's faults. She's a perfectly sane person.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a very liberal Catholic household, but you all generalize too much when it comes to religion. And with the Catholic church even more, but that's not the point.

Yes, Eloi came here for a debate, and she's getting one. However, it might help if you read her posts and see that she's no Pwemon.

Guys, I think you are all being too harsh on Eloi. She's not saying anything crazy or hurtful, abd she's being realistic about the Bible's faults. She's a perfectly sane person.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a very liberal Catholic household, but you all generalize too much when it comes to religion. And with the Catholic church even more, but that's not the point.

Yes, Eloi came here for a debate, and she's getting one. However, it might help if you read her posts and see that she's no Pwemon.
Thank you, but I think it just comes with the Serious Business board. But not generalizing would be peachy.
Pwnemon actually wanted to keep me from debating with you all because they disagree with me so much.

As far as I'm concerned, if God did nothing to punish the conquistadores, amongst other oppressive groups, who slaughtered thousands who refused to convert to Christianity, God either condoned the killings or does not exist.
That is a false dichotomy.
As well, God gave us free will. If he stopped/punished the conquistadors, why not stop everyone else? The reason he doesn't is because we are responsible for what we do here, not God. One someone kills someone you love, thats because that someone choose to do that with their free will, not because God wanted it to happen. I mean, if Jesus, the son of God/piece of God, got murdered, what makes you think he can control others to prevent it?

And what was your other point Vixie, I don't remember reading a post from you.

This. I'll concede that Eloi has a good head on her shoulders. My main problem with theism is that it's often used to condone violence and intolerance, and not so much whether it's accurate or not. I'm all for people believing what they want as long as it's not imposed upon people who aren't involved or willing to be, or used to harm others in some way. Sentiments such as
As well, I do believe the holy laws were written specifically for Jews so it can be the perfect environment for Christ to be raised.
For instance, they might have looked down on gay people, cross-breeding with other tribes, and incest so they can still have a stable population of Jews to welcome Christ when he comes. Outside of that purpose, those regulations are meaningless.
seem to me like the most practical way to consider something like this: it was relevant at the time but not anymore. Yes, it's cherrypicking, but unless I missed it somewhere Eloi doesn't seem to be spouting the "EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THE BIBLE IS ABSOLUTE!" thing, and I think cherrypicking is totally cool when you're not being a hypocrite about it (which would be, of course, claiming everything in the Bible was whispered into its authors' ears by God himself, is 100% correct, etc., but then not follow all of the goofier laws). It's not like picking and choosing what you think about one thing or another is inherently bad or anything like some people make it out to be when they call someone out for cherrypicking.

also
Well I'm not saying this is what my faith is based on, or even that it is good evidence, but my mom is a paranormal investigator. She is a pretty skeptical person when it comes to these things, and does through analysis using voice recorders, cameras, etcetra. I think her EVPs (Electric Voice Phenomenon) are pretty convincing, I have watched her record them and didn't see any trickery involved, and the disembodied voices are pretty clear. However, I am not saying this as a debating point, just saying this has better convinced me personally.
is also relevant to me. EVPs are basically the one thing that leaves me questioning the existence of the paranormal in general instead of dismissing it entirely. Most things caught on camera have a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I haven't heard one for EVPs (and if there is one, I would like to hear it). This is why EVPs creep me out the most when I hear them, or see them on a TV show (on TV shows they can totally be fabricated, I know, but it's still a big "what if?" because there's still not much of an explanation for it. You could apply that to an infinite number of possibilities, but it's not like TV shows are the only places you hear about EVPs).

Vixie's other post was
So why doesn't any of this mystic mojo happen today? It would really not be hard for God to just smite all the gays and atheists and people who follow the 50 bajillion other religions out there.

Or he could just, y'know, not exist.

Christianity is no more believable than any other religion. I really don't understand why people don't seem to get this.

Last edited:
Ah thank you Alrarune, I couldn't find the quote. OFFTOPIC (sorta): EVPs are really creepy when they are mostly unambigious. Its like "Listening...listening...static....HOLYF*CKTHATWASAVOICE" but again, I'm not presenting this as evidence any of you should believe, just saying it is pretty interesting personal confirmation.

Anyway, responding to the quote:
So why doesn't any of this mystic mojo happen today?
Well, it does, it just depends on which paranormal things you happen to believe in. Something paranormal is going on, I know that for sure.
It would really not be hard for God to just smite all the gays and atheists and people who follow the 50 bajillion other religions out there.
Yes, this would be lovely evidence for why he doesn't actually condemn these groups and believes in love and forgiveness.
Or he could just, y'know, not exist.
False dichotmoy. There is many alternates, those being:
1) He doesn't smite people.
2) He doesn't want to smite the people you mentioned.
3) He prevented the existience of anyone He doesn't like, and thus there would be no visible smiting.
And many others.
Christianity is no more believable than any other religion. I really don't understand why people don't seem to get this.
Because its not true? I do a lot of research to figure out what religious documents are true, and I am inclined in believing in Jesus. This is because:
1) Lack of personal gain. If he was a good Jewish man and abided by all of the laws as opposed to spouting off his strange beliefs, he would have had a longer life.
2) Multiple sources. There are four gospels, by four different people, as well as other documents by multiple people who confirm the existence of Jesus.
3) Jesus wasn't mentally ill, most likely. He was charismatic enough to have many followers who wanted to believe so badly they suffered persecution. To have followers like that, you have to be pretty good at dealing with people, and to be so mentally ill to have delusions like ones Jesus would have to have, he wouldn't have that good of people skills.
4) Jesus' view on the metaphysical is much different than the Jewish mythology. Satan has a different role, the mechanics of forgiveness are different, the mechanics of God are really, really different, and almost none of this has any basis in Jesus' Jewish culture, or even Roman or Greek culture.

And I think those four points beat out a lot of other religions that I have researched for me personally.

I, personally, find Eloi to be quite a reasonable person and actually have a bit of common sense about the Bible. The only problems that I have with her are that she seems to think that all opinions are equally valid (in so far as she seems to think that Jesus's beliefs are true because he had nothing to gain by believing in them), which is a horrible logical fallacy (in so far as, as demonstrated by Dara O' Briain, an astrophysicist's opinion on astrophysics is more valid than the opinion of Brian, who believes that the sky is a blanket) and that she subscribes to mathematical realism, which I think is a little bit silly, to be perfectly honest.

EDIT: Also, in her list of reasons why she follows Jesus, she doesn't actually list anything like evidence that any of Jesus's preachings about the metaphysical were true, which I would consider the most important consideration in one's beliefs.

If he is honest, that means his claims of godhood are true, that his claims of the afterlife are true, that his claims of Angels existing are true, and many other things. If he is honest, a lot of things about the afterlife and God are validated.

Not really. He could be honest and simply wrong.

I, personally, find Eloi to be quite a reasonable person and actually have a bit of common sense about the Bible. The only problems that I have with her are that she seems to think that all opinions are equally valid (in so far as she seems to think that Jesus's beliefs are true because he had nothing to gain by believing in them), which is a horrible logical fallacy (in so far as, as demonstrated by Dara O' Briain, an astrophysicist's opinion on astrophysics is more valid than the opinion of Brian, who believes that the sky is a blanket) and that she subscribes to mathematical realism, which I think is a little bit silly, to be perfectly honest.
Thank you for most of that.
Well I say Jesus's beliefs are true because he had nothing to gain by believeing in them in comparison to other people's accounts of the afterlife. And I don't believe in mathematical realism per se, I was just using that as a point to illustrate that non-physical things can be existent.

Not really. He could be honest and simply wrong.
Also, in her list of reasons why she follows Jesus, she doesn't actually list anything like evidence that any of Jesus's preachings about the metaphysical were true, which I would consider the most important consideration in one's beliefs.
I have faith that his perspective on life after death is correct. I have similar faith that there is billions of other people that think and feel just like I do. I have faith that when people tell me what a really, really, really high-pitched noise sounds like, it actually sounds like that. I have faith in these things because I can't personally experience other people's lives directly, those high pitched noises, or the afterlife, and thus I have to trust others for that information.

Thank you for most of that.
Well I say Jesus's beliefs are true because he had nothing to gain by believeing in them in comparison to other people's accounts of the afterlife. And I don't believe in mathematical realism per se, I was just using that as a point to illustrate that non-physical things can be existent.

Right, so if you're choosing Jesus's accounts of the afterlife over others, could you explain to me why you're choosing to believe in an afterlife over not believing in it?

Since human beings are born without any concept of an afterlife, a lack of belief is the default setting. I'm genuinely curious what could lead an obviously intelligent individual such as yourself to deviate from the default even after the obviously extensive research you've done.

I have faith that his perspective on life after death is correct. I have similar faith that there is billions of other people that think and feel just like I do. I have faith that when people tell me what a really, really, really high-pitched noise sounds like, it actually sounds like that. I have faith in these things because I can't personally experience other people's lives directly, those high pitched noises, or the afterlife, and thus I have to trust others for that information.

When you say faith, are you using the definition of "belief without evidence"? If so, I'd like to ask why you choose to believe without evidence.

As for EVP, I call bullshit on that. Pareidolia explains that.

Hm. That would explain a great deal of them, I guess. Dunno why I hadn't thought of that. So I guess the ones that are silence up until the EVP portion are just made for TV or something, otherwise I'd still be wondering where that noise came from, even if it's not a ghost voice or whatever. I'd still like to go "ghost hunting" sometime myself just to see what happens, since as it stands all I've got is other peoples' stories. I like to factor in personal experience when I'm trying to answer a question but this is a case in which I've got nothing.

When you say faith, are you using the definition of "belief without evidence"? If so, I'd like to ask why you choose to believe without evidence.
I'm using faith as in "belief without being able to experience it for yourself.

I wasn't presenting EVPs as evidence, like I've already said. It can be accounted for by other things, but it was pretty convincing to me in my specific case.

Right, so if you're choosing Jesus's accounts of the afterlife over others, could you explain to me why you're choosing to believe in an afterlife over not believing in it?

Since human beings are born without any concept of an afterlife, a lack of belief is the default setting. I'm genuinely curious what could lead an obviously intelligent individual such as yourself to deviate from the default even after the obviously extensive research you've done.
Because all the evidence of people's encounters with the paranormal, people's near-death experiences, people's beliefs in the afterlife at a very early point in civilization (and as you pointed out, this isn't a default or a logical conclusion from available evidence), leads me to believe that something is going on to you after you die. And not just individual accounts of these, the fact that there is just so many wide-ranging reports through out history of this and encounters with this leads me to believe that at least something is happening.

And I realize that this something happening is something I can't experience because I was not given the ability to experience these things. However, it would be callous to just dismiss the experiences of others even if I can't experience it.

Thus, I concluded that if the afterlife is something that only a few people can interact with before they actually die, than a subjective experience-based thing such as this can not be supported by non-subjective experience based evidence. Most of the claimers of the afterlife and deity related experiences never claim that it is an objective experience. And objective experiences are very limited in that they have to take place in the majority of the minds of humans, and any quirks the majority of the minds of humans that may cheat them out of experiencing things can damn anything to the pits of "unprovable".

Having figured all of that, I decided I wanted to know more about this afterlife stuff from what evidence we have available i.e. religious documents. I sorted through all the ones I can find, and found that the testaments of Jesus Christ made the most sense to me, and seemed the most truthful. Thus I choose to have faith in his subjective experiences that I am unable to have due to the quirks of my perception of reality, and because of this I know much more about the afterlife and the beings I will encounter during it by simply trusting in the subjective experiences of others in history.

False dichotmoy. There is many alternates, those being:
1) He doesn't smite people.
2) He doesn't want to smite the people you mentioned.
3) He prevented the existience of anyone He doesn't like, and thus there would be no visible smiting.
And many others.

Thing is, if you believe the Bible (though admittedly, you pick and choose, which I believe is pointless but that's not what this is about), God has smited people, meaning that he obviously can and has no aversion to it, and that he, in the past, hasn't prevented those he doesn't like. The fact that that is an option implies that God likes rapists and murderers and that, as they haven't been not-made.

Because its not true? I do a lot of research to figure out what religious documents are true, and I am inclined in believing in Jesus. This is because:
1) Lack of personal gain. If he was a good Jewish man and abided by all of the laws as opposed to spouting off his strange beliefs, he would have had a longer life.

I'm sorry, but you've said that the reason you prefer Jesus to Mohammod is Jesus gained less. It's really bugging me that you haven't explained why that makes him right. Others have said this already, but at the very most, that would mean he thinks he's right.
Sure he could have been dillusional, but that wouldn't have affected his charisma, or he wouldn't have gained the followers he gained. Saying that dillusions affect conviction is unfounded, and even so this all conjecture.

Either way, if that's your only reason to believe Jesus over other prophets, then surely Saiddhatta Guthama would be the obvious choice. After all, he was born in riches and chose to give them all up. Evidentally, this guy not only had less to gain than Jesus, he also lost so much more. In this case, obviously, life doesn't matter as each believed the next life would be better (or in Sid's case, that it would end the suffering).

2) Multiple sources. There are four gospels, by four different people, as well as other documents by multiple people who confirm the existence of Jesus.
Four gospels written by followers of Jesus. And, hell, they contradict each other.
When the Japanese believed the Emperor was a living god, there were tons of literature about how he was divine and powerful. Why is it different when it's about Jesus?

) Jesus wasn't mentally ill, most likely. He was charismatic enough to have many followers who wanted to believe so badly they suffered persecution. To have followers like that, you have to be pretty good at dealing with people, and to be so mentally ill to have delusions like ones Jesus would have to have, he wouldn't have that good of people skills.

You forget that he was preaching things that people wanted to hear. Sure you had the Judaic leaders who, in their arrogance, figured they were fine and preferred rebellion. Then the religious leaders who would have been threatened by his different beliefs.
But the people? The majority? They wanted to believe that they could be forgiven for their sins. They wanted to believe in a heaven, and that their horrible lives would be better after death.
That's how self-proclaimed psychics are believed to be able to speak with the dead. The bereaved want to belidve that the deceased is in a better place, and that they are speaking.

4) Jesus' view on the metaphysical is much different than the Jewish mythology. Satan has a different role, the mechanics of forgiveness are different, the mechanics of God are really, really different, and almost none of this has any basis in Jesus' Jewish culture, or even Roman or Greek culture.

That's how beliefs survive. Judaism survived Egypt's extravagence and Rome's hedonism by being morally rigid, and so not being absorbed. The same is said about Jesus. There were tons of 'messiahs' around his time, it's just that Jesus' teaching were sufficiently different to Judaism that they couldn't be consumed back into the faith.
Or a more modern example- voodoo. Sure, the original religion has been pretty diluted and mixed with Christianity, but it's still sufficiently different to be regarded as a different religion. A cool one, too. Their death god has sunglasses and a top hat, guys!

The thing is, you can tell that people think like you do, as thier actions are predictably similar to your own. That's why empathy is possible.
And a noice higher pitched than you can hear is logical, too. If you know that pitches change, and there is nothing that really limits the pitch, then logically the pitch will continue to be higher than your hearing.
The afterlife is different, as the only thing you are able to compare it to is life. However, because the default stance is that there is no afterlife, then you only have Life with nothing to compare it to. When I say life, I don't mean being alive, I mean the world we can experience.

No I don't expect you to read it all.
I'm also gonna check it tomorrow to make sure it makes sense, and isn't the rambling of an over-tired weirdo.

Back
Top Bottom