• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TQftL audiobook

Scyther

i write erotic novels. for children.
So, guys! In June, I'm starting production of an audiobook of Butterfree's The Quest for the Legends. I got permission from Butterfree; it's something that I've been thinking about for a while and I've decided that there's no way it couldn't be awesome so I'm going through with it.

I don't know how big the interest is here, but I know a lot of us are reader's of the fic and I thought this could be a fun community thing. So, if there's at least moderate interest, people could sign up for parts and we could all have fun reading this and giggling at ourselves, making something cool in the process.

There's a lot that needs to be discussed and organised and so on. But before I worry about any of that, tell me: does anyone want to do this at all?

Oh man, this sounds hilarious. I'd totally love to do a reading, although my voice is quite ugly and I have no reading talent whatsoever. But that's part of the fun, right?

dude I don't want you writing or reading anything. you write erotic novels for children D:

THIs SOUNDS AMAZING

I haven't finished it, but. :D I'll just be the loyal crowd cheering you on from the side!

Oh holy hell yes I would totally do as many voices as I'd be allowed to. I'm a huge fan of the fic and it would be awesome to be involved with it, and also do something remotely theatrical with myself for a change

this is a fantastic idea

Oh dear. It begins.

So you're planning an actual different voice actors as different characters thing, or just people alternating chapters? Man, this is way bigger than I expected. I thought this was just going to be you immortalizing my ridiculous fourteen-year-old writing, not everybody coming together to engrave it in forum history.

I'd much rather do an alternating chapters thing than a different characters thing, because if you're having people swap between characters, you'd need to get everyone on skype or something at the same time to do it properly, unless you want it to sound shoddy the way US voice acting tends to.

I haven't read the fics too much but I think this is a cool idea. Bit of an incentive to read them. I can do pretty okay voice acting.

I'd much rather do an alternating chapters thing than a different characters thing, because if you're having people swap between characters, you'd need to get everyone on skype or something at the same time to do it properly, unless you want it to sound shoddy the way US voice acting tends to.

Thing is, this is a worldwide website. Basically, we might get a British accent for all of one chapter, then an American accent for another. And let's not forget that there may be some non- native speakers on here who would want to do this. Their grasp of English pronunciation might not be strong enough to do one whole chapter. In my opinion, it would be best to have one narrator, who is a native speaker, and have various voices. Besides, it would be better than what I've heard on audiobooks before, which is a half- assed attempt to put in some emotion to the dialogue and then read the narration as dry as possible. Besides, I don't notice any audio problems with American voice acting.'

So you're planning an actual different voice actors as different characters thing, or just people alternating chapters?

I intially was thinking that I'd do the narration and people would take over individual characters, but now that you suggest the other thing, I could be convinced that it's better. We could all work independently and probably get it done a lot quicker; plus there's surskitty's point about people sounding really odd when snippets of audio are knitted together.

That being said, it'd be pretty jarring to anyone actually listening to the audiobook (as an alternative to reading the fic) to listen to the chapters change narrators (male, female, american, british, icelandic), and if one narrator is especially bad at reading, or has a horrible microphone or something, it could turn people off for good. However, people listening as an alternative to reading are probably an extreme minority and perhaps not even worth considering.

Also, as it gets into the further chapters and the excitement to narrate dies down on the forum, there will probably only be a few people willing to narrate the last few chapters, at which point it stops being a community thing and starts being something that only a small group of people are involved with. (I don't know if you guys think this is important.)

If we doll out characters in blocks (i.e. opaltiger reads as May from chapter 25-30), or until they get bored (i.e. opaltiger reads as May for as long as she wants and if/when she gets bored with the part, it's passed on to someone else) the excitement will probably never die down. Plus, then probably more people will want to get involved; reading an entire chapter is a pretty big commitment and is a hard thing to sign up for if you've never read anything before or you're self-conscious about your voice. There are probably a billion twelve year-olds on the TQftLs forum that would love to sign up for random side characters, but not read entire chapters - and let's be honest, we probably don't want most twelve year olds reading entire chapters. But it'd be nice to involve them nonetheless.

Is there any way this is a false dilemma? Could there be a hidden third option somewhere? It just feels like there might be one.

I'm totally willing to do whatever most people would like to do. Any way you slice it, this will be a lot of fun.

opaltiger is a he. :p

I'd be totally willing to read for a character, but reading an entire chapter would be too much for me. I'd just get tired or annoyed at the words. I don't really like narrating that much >_> But like, acting a character would be fun!

opaltiger reads as May
I am now imagining May speaking in opal's voice. And having opal's beard.

(May make an intelligent comment later; I'm on my way out the door.)

(Well, apparently not quite yet, so I guess my first stab at an intelligent comment is that I'd guess mixing together individual lines with different audio quality, volume, accents, levels of theatrical expression and so on would be more distracting than if it alternated between chapters. On the other hand, voice actors for different characters would be more consistent and possibly more entertaining.)

(Well, apparently not quite yet, so I guess my first stab at an intelligent comment is that I'd guess mixing together individual lines with different audio quality, volume, accents, levels of theatrical expression and so on would be more distracting than if it alternated between chapters. On the other hand, voice actors for different characters would be more consistent and possibly more entertaining.)

Well, that can be what auditions are for. Have some people read a few lines and dole out parts like that. If someone has a bad mic or whatever, we can weed them out.

I'm more interested in recording individual lines than entire chapter(s). Like pathos said I'd just get really annoyed by it, and I'd mostly be in this for the opportunity to give voice to characters.

Auditions sound fun, maybe have a list of all of the main ensemble (Mark, May, Alan, their Pokemon, Chaletwo, etc.) and have everyone record a bit of each part that matches their gender? If we have people audition only for parts they want then I can see people all jumping for Mark and May, and passing over things like Sandshrew or Lapras. Also people often underestimate their abilities in certain niches, so someone who thinks they would do well as Alan might find that they really do spectacularly as Charmander.

I think different voices for characters and the narrator would be funner for people to do and look at than flat-reads! Anyone can do a flat-read all by themself, so it'd just be a collection of those, but reading chapters together is a community effort! You can plan out who will be which voices, and make lots of clips to share with everyone, and get commentary on which ones sound good... It's more exciting! It'd even be more exciting for people to watch - I don't want to sign up for voice acting, but it would be fun watching everyone talk about voice acting and share clips!

Why not just have both set up, though? You could have a collection of flat-reads where anyone could submit theirs and get put on the list, and then also work on the mixed voice acting one. It's not any extra work for anyone (except whoever updates the list, I guess), since people would only do each when and if they felt like it.

Also, is it really a problem if it doesn't sound spectacular? It's just people having fun, not trying to make a tv series. It would be disappointing if a lot of people got kicked out even though they wanted to do it, just because they haven't practiced voice acting very much! Bad microphone is a little different, I guess, since static is hard on everyone's ears.

If you had enough people joining, maybe you could make different groups, or tiers? Like the people who had great microphones and wanted to do Skype sessions and try over and over until they got their lines perfect could be in a group, and people who just wanted to play around or do what they liked could be in a group! Then there could be multiple versions of a chapter.

Also, as it gets into the further chapters and the excitement to narrate dies down on the forum, there will probably only be a few people willing to narrate the last few chapters, at which point it stops being a community thing and starts being something that only a small group of people are involved with. (I don't know if you guys think this is important.)

That doesn't seem like much of a concern! Whoever's having fun should do it, even if it's just a few of them. Community things are nice, and it'd be sort of sad if interest died down if it had been really exciting, but if people want it to be a community effort again, they'll participate!

If we doll out characters in blocks [...] or until they get bored [...] the excitement will probably never die down.

That seems good! I don't know about never, but it seems way funner for everyone if you could just jump in anytime. Otherwise, it gets to be a lot of hard work trying to keep all the current voices involved for the entire fanfic.

Auditions sound fun, maybe have a list of all of the main ensemble (Mark, May, Alan, their Pokemon, Chaletwo, etc.) and have everyone record a bit of each part that matches their gender?

Why should it match their gender? It's really common for real voice actors to have a different gender than their character! You know, like, Ash was voiced for years by Victoria Taylor.

Also, there are lots of trans* people on the forums! Including people who are non-binary genders (who might want to try for binary characters!). So that's kind of a sketchy territory. And what if there are way more $gender characters in a chapter than people of that gender who want to participate that round? Or what if it's a Mew chapter, but no agender people are voice-acting? It would have to be put in hold indefinitely. ("all legendaries who are genderless in the games [...] don't have a gender as we know it.")

Giving people an incentive to try for lots of roles is good, but deciding it by gender is silly. I think everyone can talk about things like "hm, I was hoping we could get a deeper-sounding voice for Mark. Anyone up for it?" without making it about gender! Then if someone happens to be able to do a good deep voice even though they don't have the same gender as Mark, they can go for it (I don't think Mark has a deep voice, but). There's no need for people to be made to feel voice-shy because of gender! It would be a lot nicer if it were comfortable for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom