• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

Incorrect grammar, sites that claim to be "The Best", sites with unorigional content, sites with afflation conditions that say "30+ pages minimum, even if you want to be a junior afflate" or "Your site must have as many or more hits than mine" or "You must have a guestbook/forum/oekaki/RPG/ect." That veagely elimanates appoxametly 30%(?)
of all sites.

Sites that go on hiatus. You can revamp your site without closing it, and if you're taking a break or something, leave it open. Websites don't gain hits from being closed a long time and then opening; websites gain hits by being active and well-done. What also annoys me is sites that go on hiatus, don't display their affiliates' links, and then expect their affiliates to keep their links up.

Another thing that severly bothers me is when sites (or writers, or spriters, or anybody) fail to take advice. Advice is given to help you; when it's just ignored, it's like the advice-giver just wasted a few minutes of their life. ;_;

Sites that go on hiatus. You can revamp your site without closing it, and if you're taking a break or something, leave it open. Websites don't gain hits from being closed a long time and then opening; websites gain hits by being active and well-done. What also annoys me is sites that go on hiatus, don't display their affiliates' links, and then expect their affiliates to keep their links up.

Another thing that severly bothers me is when sites (or writers, or spriters, or anybody) fail to take advice. Advice is given to help you; when it's just ignored, it's like the advice-giver just wasted a few minutes of their life. ;_;
Agreed. I didn't think of that one, but about half the Pokemon websites right now are on hiatus.

Sandstone-Shadow said:

Yeah, If any of my afflates went on hatus and didn't keep my link up, they'd be off in a heartbeat. I mean, that REALLY annoys me. And when they open and stuff if they are mad about it and all like "WTF you took my link off because I didn't display it during my hatius why???" I'd just tell them to apply again. >~z(< That's an annoyed wink.=D)

I hate sites that fail to use proper grammar and name their forums things like "The Shithole; where all you motherfuckers' dreams come true".

I hate sites that fail to use proper grammar and name their forums things like "The Shithole; where all you motherfuckers' dreams come true".

"The Shithole" actually sounds like a rather good name. Bonus: it fits pretty much 95% of all forums on the internet anyway

Sites that have webmasters with no concept of design.

"Lol, brit blue on wite wil make it easir for ppl to reed it :D'

True. So true. A site can be good without craploads of hits.

And what if you don't even have a hit-counter?

And:"30+ pages minimum, even if you want to be a junior afflate"*coughjevenositycough* What about new websites that are just starting out? And, quality over qualanty, you can have 50 pages that say nothing or 5 pages of useful, detailed, good content.(Yeah!)

It's not and I can prove it. 5 pages of useful, good, detailed content can be aceived. Easly. 30 pages cannot.

30 pages is actually reasonable, provided there is a lot to write about concerning the subject matter.

My site, for example (according to an sql query I ran on my database), appears to have roughly 540 pages. Now, obviously not all of these pages (probably not even a majority) are that long (some of them are index pages for other collections of pages, a few are redirects, some are short because there's not much info to put there in the first place). In fact many of those pages, especially the ones roughly a paragraph long, could be consolidated into longer, more detailed pages, and I'd probably end up with just over a couple hundred at the end. In the end quality should balance out quantity; true, 500 pages of crap are worthless compared to 5 Shakespearean masterpieces, but 15 well-written info pages can suffice.

So 30 isn't an outlandish expectation, however, it would take some time until a site develops to that level (obviously barring those people who whip up a few pages on freewebs and then go hunting for affiliates, but if you're serious about webmastering then you won't be adverse to putting that much time into your site).

edit: OTOH any sort of hit/pagerank/page quota as requirements for affiliation is plain dumb. Generally I see the upper-medium to large sites doing this, with the justification that they "lose out" if they affiliate with a site that enjoys an insectoidal measure of popularity; the small site gets a huge gain while the large site gets nil. However this is moot if you consider that the base point of affiliation is that people are supposed to affiliate with sites that they like. If the large-site webmaster truly liked the small site, then e wouldn't mind if e "doesn't gain" much from helping that site out.

Last edited:
I hate when webmasters (particularly Anti-Pokemon) create a whole site bashing Pokemon, filled with finicky, immature reasons- 'Pokemon is stupid!' or the ever-popular 'Pokemon is gay!' They often exaggerate and provide unverified claims about the topic, and go to great lengths to make something from Pokemon look remotely sinister.
Especially the ones who point to the word 'Dark' as evidence that Pokemon are evil.

Also, these sites are inconsistent and can't seem to concentrate on what they're actually saying about Pokemon- are they trying to say that it's overrated or that it harms small children? They can't make up their minds. I'll also say that, even if it's a series I do hate that they're bashing, their immaturity makes me hate them. I'll only found one excellent, logical Anti site (it's not about Pokemon- it's about awful book series) that does not rely on foul language and immaturity to make a point. They use sources and examples and wonderful essays.

Other than that, frivolous affiliate requirements. Some are perfectly fine, and they can do what they want, of course, like making the site include the word 'pineapple' somewhere within it. I'm tempted to, on my upcoming site's Affiliate page, write up a parody list of increasingly ridiculous and silly requirements, then have a link at the end leading them to the real requirements. Anyways, I don't agree with some webmasters when they go on about hits and junor affiliates. I think hits are a trivial matter; the real beauty of a website is the content! Things like 'junior affiliates' are just a nice way of declining from actually including sites on the list. If you're running out of space, and want to demote some people to save space, don't. You might as well heighten the requirements of affiliation and grandfather your current affiliates in, fiddle with the layout, or stop accepting requests (maybe with a few unfair exceptions, such as some super-spiffy new site).

Normal and Top affiliates are a good idea, though, because sometimes there are some outstanding sites that ought to be displayed higher or with more prominence on a page strapped for space. However, this doesn't mean that normal affiliates should be shunted to another page with the top ones in the absolute spotlight.

Sites that are just there because the webmaster wanted one and aren't really a site, rather a forum with a n00b admin who doesn't keep his/her mind open to new possibilities and shuns people who try to make him/her see the light and try something new.*shot*

Some from the top of my head.

1.Piczo sites
2.Sites with bad pre-made layouts. Or sites with boring layouts.
3.Sites that never update for months and still expects you to visit everyday.
4.Sites that have no purpose whatsoever.
5.Serebii clones.

I'll think of more later. My pet peeves are pretty much what everyone said here.

How about those websites that make an endless flow of pop-ups when you hover over a certain picture?

I swear. Once, I went on some fansite and when I hovered over a picture of an evil character a pop-up appeared and wouldn't go away. I'm on a Mac, where you can't move the pop-ups. So I eventually have to close Firefox in it's entirety (I shouldn't need to do that) and when I went to complain to the webmaster he said, "well,u could have put ur mouse over the X and clicked 2 times." I told him Macs don't work that way. "oh,im sry. dont come back then. sory!!!!!!!"

These kids infuriate me.

Back
Top Bottom