• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Nintendo Power count? >.>

The last true book I read was Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe. Probably the only book with the word "history" in the title that I enjoy.

I love to read, but I usually need motivation...such as needing outside reading for English class or something. Weird...

"The Gun Seller"
It's got an interesting writing style to it. It swaps correct sentace structure for voice.
It's a nice break from the norm.

Currently re-reading Harry Potter 7 by J.K. Rowling. Man, I've pretty much forgotten the whole book.

I finished Kaffir Boy and have since moved on to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I live in Missouri and I have very little idea of what is going on.

"Lush" by Natasha Friend.
It's a great book, you should all check it out~

It's about a girl who's father is a drunk, and she swaps letters with a mystery person at the library to deal with her problems. And theeen she meets this guy and I'm not gonna say anymore because I don't want to spoil it. 8D

Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett. Saw it in London, starring Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. One of the best plays I've ever read.

I just finished Scat by Carl Haissen, and I'm now reading The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan.

Geee! Greek mythology and environmental awareness 8D

I've been doing a lot of reading since I started school.
I read:
Intensely Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.
It's a book series that's been going on since Alice was about eight. It feels like the series is never going to end.
Impossible by Nancy Werlin
This was for a book club I'm joining. It was really good. Based on the song "Scarborough Fair".
Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway This book is all right, but it was much better on first read.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, but I have a stack of books from the library that I need to read.

over the last few weeks, I've read The Great Gatsby and Frankenstein for school (both are great books, Frankenstein's probably the better of the two) and An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (scariest shit I have ever read) and Saturn's Children by Charles Stross (somehow manages to combine hard sci-fi with tentacle rape scenes) by my own volition.

Currently, I'm reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray (though I'll probably put it on hold for a bit) and Mansfield Park, the last novel I have to read for school. It's frankly depressing - four hundred pages of Victorian sensibility may be a little too much even for me.

I just finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which was a very good read. Currently I'm reading Virolution by an author whose name I've forgotten. It's a fascinating read on the subject of viruses and their interaction with the genomes of other creatures. It's really quite enlightening.

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy.

I hate him. And every main character in this book. Except maybe Thomasin and Mrs Yeobright. The native in the title doesn't even /return/ until, what, the fifteenth chapter? (something that, it's divided into books so I've forgotten what chapter it would have actually been).
I hope they all drown at the end.

Then I need to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which had better be better than this crap or I'm going to... be very annoyed. >:(

Read two Greek plays a couple of weeks ago, The Communist Manifesto, Think by Simon Blackburn - all of them very short - and about a twelfth of Moby-Dick. Now I'm meant to be reading a stack of philosophy books, but I always pick up Hazlitt's essays instead.

Last edited:
Helen of Troy by Margaret George. Big and looked a little too historical to be actually interesting as a novel, but is actually good. :D The author writes really well.

Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein. For the first time. Believe me, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom