• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you do to challenge yourself in the main series of Pokemon games?

MissEeveelution

is hiding in the tall grass, eluding your capture.
Whenever my Pokemon try to learn a new move, I let them. No matter how crappy the moveset may be. :D (I don't know how to make a good moveset anyway, so I might as well. ^^;)

What about you?

I don't evolve my Pokemon at all, and use only three at a time. Very hard (but fun) when I'm against the elite four!

I used to only use my starter (srs, in Red, I had a Charizard by Misty. Probably why the Elite Four always kicked my ass xD)...

I also try to keep all of my Pokemon the same level at all times, so if one levels, I train for a long time to get the others to that level. (if that counts...?)

i do the same as MissEeveelution, if a pokemon is trying to learn a move i make it learn it regardless

and once my pokemon that i use regularly pwn all others i change my team entirely to weak pokemon aside from my starter

I battle the elite 4 without training. I've gotten up to Cynthia's Roserade just by using lots and lots of revives.

But thats just me. I just really want to see Milotic so i can migrate.

I also usually just train the first pokemon in my party, which is almost always my starter.

For me, I sometimes use the weakest pokemon first in battle and even if theyre asleep or something they stay till they die. That or I only train one pokemon and nothing else. If it faints, the Hm slaves can't be used, so they faint too. I dunno. It's lame, but I'm kinda more into getting my pokemon to lv 100 quicker. Yeaz.

I also try to keep all of my Pokemon the same level at all times, so if one levels, I train for a long time to get the others to that level. (if that counts...?)

Yeah. :P

Also, I only ever catch six Pokémon aside from HM slaves/rare Pokémon, because honestly I don't see much need to catch the others until post-E4. I should fix that.

I also almost never buy anything unless I'm going to be facing the E4 or I run out of Pokéballs for catching my main team with.

Training is one thing. I have to train every single pokemon I get and actually use to perfection, which includes DVs, EPs, breeding, and egg moves. I keep ALL my pokemon a bit higher than their average level should be, and they're all around the same level also.

I also might try to catch every pokemon I run into on the first encounter.

I'm the catch 'em all type too. If I see a pokemon I don't already have, it's mine. >:D

Oh and I hardly use any other pokemon but my starter. :]

Last edited:
I sometimes like to go through games with only my starter and not catch any pokemon until I have defeated the E4.

Occasionally early in the game, i'll change my pokemon and release my starter.

I do this, but more out of OCD than anything else.

I usually create mono teams (just got through Emerald with a fire mono ahh). I'll also use pokemon that I almost never use. It's a challenge for me because I have no idea what to expect (Oh Italy, you were a great Girafarig~).

I might try just using a starter only on some game of mine. Might be fun. :3

I ALWAYS keep my Pokemon at the same levels...if one levels I level all the others.

It isn't to challenge myself...it was to have a balanced team...

I use no items like Potions in the whole game, even the Elite Four(I always do that out of habit :P. In fact so much I tell my friend he doesn't need items, only leveling)

When I buy Platinum I'm gonna try a PBR Pika run. Well, except hacked so it's level 5.

LAME RULES FOR THE LAME CHALLENGE! =D

1) Only the Pikachu can be used for battling. Other Pokemon may be caught as HM Slaves/box fillers, but can't be used against any trainer.

2) The Pikachu is not allowed to evolve OR reach level 100. If it reaches level 100, the challenge has failed.

3) No TMs/Move Tutors can be used to alter the Pikachus moveset. It only changes if I allow it to learn a new move though level up.

4) The run last from obtaining the starter (changing it with the Pikachu) to defeating the Elite Four.

And that's it so far ^_^

Keeping my whole team the same level, or at least within one or two levels of each other.

And something I don't do: overleveling. If your Pokémon are higher-leveled than the other NPC trainers (not counting Gym Leaders/E4, just the random kids you fight on the way to them), their levels are probably too high for that point in the game. I played through Ruby again not too long ago and ended up catching Groudon with a level 33/34 team, beating Wallace at level 36 or so, and beating the Elite Four and Steven with levels in the 45-50 range (though they were only 42-44 when I started... my Tentacruel and Blaziken ended up leveling up much more than the rest.)

Back
Top Bottom