• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Who/what inspired you to draw/sprite?

i think i've always liked drawing... i remember drawing a lot of characters from kids tv shows when i was little, and i guess the lion king and pokemon also inpired me as always used to make up characters of my own

i first found out about spriting in late 03 on pokemon crater forums. i found galleries and tutorials, and it basically went on from there.

I first started drawing more seriously by copying the faces of people in cartoons.
Nowadays I just look at things which I consider beautiful and charge my drawing batteries on that.

Last edited:
Drawing: I've drawn for as long as I can remember.
Spriting:
I became a spriter when Pokemon spriting was still in it's baby stages, when recolors and C+P mixes were still considered fantastic (though people did know about the merits of shading). I was inspired by the now-most-likely-defunct spriter Snare on SPPF. I absolutely loved his work and was drawn to spriting, so once I found out how I was off. I made a crazy paintbucket recolor of a Latias, and that's how it all started.

Spriting: After seeing Diggeh/Furiianda/Butterfree/Xikaze/surskitty sprite, I really wanted to be able to sprite, too. Enjoyed it and it stuck.

Drawing: Reading picture books and wanting to do stuff like that. Had help from an IRL friend who is an artist. Still need loads of practice.

Drawing: Um........ *brain explodes from trying to access memories from childhood*

Spriting: I began to read sprite comics on the magical internet. Then I wanted to make sprite comics too. Now I mostly just sprite, since I'm too lazy to do comics.

I've always liked drawing, and I've drawn as long I can remember.

I got inspired by Pokémon Silver to sprite for the first time, oh, and Pokemoncrater, it was really popular at my school before.

Drawing; I've drawn for as long as I can remember and I have vague recollections (which were confirmed by my parents) of asking to go to the National Gallery in London when I was on holidays in England at the age of 2, so I have a fairly year-spanning memory.

Spriting; I started spriting when I stumbled across the Pokémon Factory and became inspired to sprite as well as the guys there. At roughly the same time I stumbled across the Cave of Dragonflies and found Butterfree's Spriting Guide and her sprites which also proved rather inspiring.

Ever since I was in kindergarten I've been drawing. Most of it was very casual and laid back, nothing to big or seriouse. Untill I turned eight. At age eight I gained access to a site known as Suto-raito. When I saw Eevee1s pics I was absolutly blown away. I clearly remember saying outloud, "Holy COW, I wanna draw like that. O.O"
So I practiced more and more. Once I nailed wolf (or any canines for that matter) anatomy I moved onto humans and after that I just started drawing more animals. Now I guess I could draw almost any animal with a referance pic because I have a decent understanding of how the bones connect. Non-chibi humans are still a challenge though.
I'm really seriouse about my drawing now and I'm just starting to understand shading.

Oh, and did I mention that I LOOOOVE DRAWING!? 8DDD

I've been drawing since before I could remember, my mom's an artist so I guess you could say she got me started.

My brother's best friend showed me the first sprites I had ever seen, some splices on his computer, way back when I was like 12. After that I fiddled around in Paint and was instantly hooked.

Drawing: I've been inspired by a lot of art, but all the cartoon shows I watched when I was younger motivated me the most to start drawing.
And then there's my family; no inspiration from them, but sometimes I believe my family is artistic in some form by blood: my uncle is a superb artist; my youngest aunt can draw accurate face profiles; my other aunt can make a bouquet of rose origami from chocolate wrappers; my oldest aunt knits picture (she knitted the Mona Lisa and The Last Supper by hand); and my other relatives do something which I have yet to learn.

Spriting: There was this web comic I used to read (I forgot the name; all I know is it used Sonic sprites from the Genesis games). When I saw one Tails sprite, I was like, "How did they make Tails eyes so big?" Then there were these other edits to the sprites that really fascinated me. So I wanted to try to learn how to sprite and make my own web comic, which I ended up completely putting off.

I'm happy with the fact that I can draw/sprite, but sometimes I wish I could go just a bit faster with as much detail in my drawing/sprite as possible.

I started drawing before who-knows-when, and I was considered good at it by who ever were my friends at the time (meaning if I was three years old, I was being judged by three year old art critics). Fortunately, I improved and so as the older me and my friends got and the smarter they got, I could keep up with peoples expectations.

I can't remember how I found this site (it was here I found out about spriting); I think it was after reading a sprite comic made by a guy named JBD_Cool, called Jigglypuff and his Merry Band of Idiots. Since he made a lot of custom sprites, I think I Googled Pokemon Sprites, and after a lot of searching, going through forums, and Googleing sub-categories on Pokemon Sprites, I ended up here. I looked through Butterfree's sprites, and was blown away. I went through the rest of her site, looking for art-related things, and found her spriting tutorial. I immediately had to try it for myself, resulting in an odd bluish-purplish Jigglypuff sprite. It looked OK, so I moved on to a greenish Weedle sprite. After that, I tried splicing, and after that, I couldn't stop. Just like with drawing, fortunately I'm getting better.

Drawing? Well, I remember getting my hands on everything-EVERYTHING- that resembled paper. Like massive sheets of Bounty and stuff. I was about two, two-and-a half.
After I entered kindergarden, there was this hour of drawing. Thrilled that I can finally get my hands on good paper, I think I stuffed..about a good size of 'em in my pockets and tiny little bag x3
Then, I began watching cartoons. I really, REALLY, liked how most of 'em looked, and I tried drawing like them.
Unfortunetely, there was a show involving a clown, and I was four, so guess what a good deal of my people looked like. Dx

I continued drawing in that style until I was around six. Then official art class started. Low-budget art classes meant "big kids" like third graders and fourth came too. There was this girl in particular who was this amazing cartoonist and spent her free time making short comics. I really, really wanted to draw like her, so I sat there.

I praticed a lot, until I achived my own style. Now to councer realism! xDD

I've been drawing for years. I stopped until someone inspired me in 5th Grade to continue drawing, though I'm only mediocre. As for spriting, I'm not sure. The first time I made a "sprite" was when I tried to make a Database Ditto... out of Sugimori Art. (Not one of my best ideas, but it somehow worked. =P)

Drawing: In second grade I saw an episode of Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network. It just took off from there.

Spriting: I was bored one night and my friend showed me how. As a result, I don't do it very much.

dahaha. Let's see...

Drawing: Probably my mother, first. She's amazing; she does those uber-detailed pen drawings with little dots for shading, all by hand, and I was alway fascinated by them. I remember discovering a picture she had done of an apple, with the skin coming off and turning into a snake... I wanted to draw like that too, so that was when I stop doing the usual little kid drawings, heh. Then, I started to like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and I started drawing more. The rest is history C;

Spriting... It was at the old forums, I think; I remember being completely blown away by how people, more specifically, Butterfree, suskitty, and the like, could make pictures out of little coloured squares. So I wanted to try to! I believe this was one of the first I actually did. Just a simple recolour, but I was insanely proud of it. and Involuntary Twitch here made me want to start scratching. C: I'm still not too great at it, but it's fun.

I would say my cousin Marc inspired me to draw. I've been drawing for aslong as i can remember and he was the person who taught me how to draw better. I was always jelous of his drawings, he spent ages on them and they always turned out awesome <3 He was awesome at drawing pokemon but he doesn't like it anymore P: So he's made me the good drawer I am today ^^

Spriting.. Well I think I used to browse random Pokemon sites and think "Oh those sprites are nice :D" I tried and failed miserably untill I stumbled on a little site called How To Sprite. That taught me well. Eventually I joined a spriting academy on another forum. The person who inspried me to sprite most was Dragonpika :3 and the rest is history~

I can't remember how I found this site (it was here I found out about spriting); I think it was after reading a sprite comic made by a guy named JBD_Cool, called Jigglypuff and his Merry Band of Idiots.

Since he made a lot of custom sprites, I think I Googled Pokemon Sprites, and after a lot of searching, going through forums, and Googleing sub-categories on Pokemon Sprites, I ended up here. I looked through Butterfree's sprites, and was blown away. I went through the rest of her site, looking for art-related things, and found her spriting tutorial. I immediately had to try it for myself, resulting in an odd bluish-purplish Jigglypuff sprite. It looked OK, so I moved on to a greenish Weedle sprite. After that, I tried splicing, and after that, I couldn't stop. Just like with drawing, fortunately I'm getting better.

Wow that sounds about the same way I got into spriting. xD I mostly do custom sprites now for my own stuff, but none of it is that good. =( I was into editing Sonic Battle/Sonic Advance sprites for a while though... most of it turned out pretty bad. I did a few edits lately just for fun and found that I've improved quite a bit, but not much. EDIT: Wow that sounds weird there... basically I've improved some, but I'm still not that good. Sorry for lack of clarity...

As for drawing, I always used to be really terrible at drawing as a kid. Randomly, when I was 10, I decided that I would start drawing even if it wasn't that good, so I pulled aside a purple notebook that I was going to use for school, and started doodling Mawile in it. Yeah... Pokémon was pretty much what inspired me to draw, and it also shaped my style quite a bit. I have a Japanese-inspired style of drawing, especially when it comes to eyes. The rest of my style though, looks a little more American, (I guess just because I am one lol) and has recently acquired the advantage of having mostly clean lines. Ryanide on deviantART also served as a source of inspiration - especially animation. In fact, I probably wouldn't have started animating at all if I hadn't stumbled across his page... I'm not that good at animating yet, but I think I could improve if I could get a drawing tablet. =/ I already know a few techniques from watching other peoples' animations, as well as from working with sprites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom