• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Would you like to have children?

Do you want kids?

• Yes

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Not really

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
No to biological children, but I would really like to adopt. Although I can't help but feel nervous because of lot of media and such tends to portray adoptees as always looking for their birth parents. I think it's gotten to the point where I get really uneasy when the subject of adoption comes up in shows I'm watching, especially if they're fact based. Kinda embarrassing, but yeah.

No to biological children, but I would really like to adopt. Although I can't help but feel nervous because of lot of media and such tends to portray adoptees as always looking for their birth parents. I think it's gotten to the point where I get really uneasy when the subject of adoption comes up in shows I'm watching, especially if they're fact based. Kinda embarrassing, but yeah.

What's wrong with them looking for their birth parents? My aunt's kids are all adopted and they all looked for their birth parents...

I don't know. Really sums up how I feel. On one hand, I'm not sure I'm personally ready for children, but at the same time the idea is pleasant to me. In any case, I've been told that I won't want kids at this age, but I'm very likely to have them whether I want to or not, so I'm just flowing along.

I love to think of baby names, though. It's sad because I keep thinking a theoretical missus would dismiss them.

There are so many ways to say no.

1. The screaming.
2. I would probably be an awful parent.
3. The expenses in time and money.
4. Earth is already way overpopulated.
5. Earth is also a generally awful place, and I'm not forcing someone into it just because of my own egoistic urges to, what, pass down my genes?
6. Speaking of egoism, I would like a career.

Only to pass on my genetics. Change to no if cloning humans is legalised.

Either I'm narcissistic or I love science so much I actually follow what it tells me to do?

Only to pass on my genetics. Change to no if cloning humans is legalised.

Either I'm narcissistic or I love science so much I actually follow what it tells me to do?
Science doesn't tell anyone to do anything; it is, or at least aims to be, objective.

my feelings about children are really complex! there's so much to sort out on the subject. how would I feel being called 'mother' by every relevant avenue? how to sit being non-binary with parenting narratives in general? also childbirth looks horrendous : ' )

even without that, parenting and children are really, really weird. making a person??? parent-child power relations are just so terrifying and strange and vaguely sinister to me. you create a person pretty much for the sake of it, you make a person!!!! and then are deeply responsible for everything about them! and yet! it's even weirder because they become just as autonomous as you and you also have to deal with the strangeness of that. I'm not sure why reproduction disturbs me as much as it does, but it really does, so!

for a long while I idly quite wanted to have children, because I've always thought I'd be a good parent! I want to help a person have a good life. but then, I'd also be the reason they exist and that is very, very strange.

so, er yeah, "I don't know". I don't expect to think about it particularly more for a really long time.

The idea of being a mom terrifies me. I think I would fail badly at it, because of how autistic I am. Just....I know i'm not being irrational here, its probably the truth. I barely even feel confident caring for animals (although i've done well with simba).

I'm fine with maybe baby sitting for someone one day, though. That might not be so bad.

No.

The education system in most countries is abysmal. Most adults I'm aware of are little better than children themselves and, in some cases, much worse and they are practically guaranteed to interact with any children from a position of undeserved authority. Were I to raise a child, there's no guarantee that I would be able to look after it due to the utter bullshit that is happening right now. Finally, the very first thing I'd do is introduce the little bastard to Lou Tice, meaning that they'd be guaranteed to have a harder life than usual since they'd be stripped of the comforting illusion that 80% of the population spends their time in.

I think there might be questions about some aspects of my answer. I am not going to answer, because google is a thing and discovering things for yourself is a wonderful hobby. As an addendum, I am posting while tired and grumpy, and so you are unlikely to get a timely answer anyway; Google will be much faster.

Pregnancy sounds like something made up for a B-list horror movie. If I wanted a child, I'd adopt one - something I think would help society a lot more than creating new life, and it would prevent another kid from being raised in crap foster home #374648.

Whether or not I want to raise a child, it definitely won't be any time before my mid-thirties. I'd like to live freely and independently before getting tied down by someone else again. I'm also not sure if I'd make a good parent, so I would also wait until I think I'm mature enough and/or am married (because if I suck at being a mum, at least my partner can be a good parent... and it would make the financial side of things easier).

Pregnancy sounds like something made up for a B-list horror movie. If I wanted a child, I'd adopt one

I wouldn't physically birth a child if i got a lot of money for it. Pregnancy sounds painful and yeah adopting a child is so much more ethical.

Ok i want to go really in detail here. Someday in my late 30's i would like to adopt two children. One "boy" and one "girl" preferably (although i'm cool and new-agey so i'd raise my children as more genderfluid and let them grow into whatever gender they want), and i like the sound of the names "Aster" and "Pearl." I'd name the boy Aster and the girl Pearl, but Imao they are pretty neutral names, especially Aster, so that helps. my biggest problem if i had children would be i feel like i would have too many rules and if i didn't follow the rules i set i'd be a hypocrite.

Taking over the world and suppressing insurrection while negotiating peace talks is easy. Getting a child to listen and a baby to sleep-now that’s true terror! Besides if one needs an heir, adoption works well along with legacy.

Back
Top Bottom