• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Is it weird for a girl to propose to a guy?

Is it weird for a girl to propse to a guy?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • No idea

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Cookies

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
I think proposals in general (especially the traditional "getting down on one knee" sense) are weird. I cringe every time I hear a story about a big, showy proposal, where a guy whipped out a ring in the middle of a public place - it's horrible.

I only learned recently that, when a (opposite-sex) couple are engaged, it's usually only the woman who wears a ring, and it's historically because it marked the woman as 'taken', but the guy could still sleep around with whoever he wanted.

Also, the asking the father of the bride thing is creepy.

I'm dull and unromantic, and think that if a couple are to get married, it should be a mutual desicion made between the two of them, not a question asked (by either party!) out of the blue in a room full of strangers.

If I ever propose to a woman (or a man for that matter) I want to wear an engagement ring too
I like rings B(

and hell no it's not weird for a girl to propose to a guy, the whole thing about how the men have to do all the things like that is just dumb these days

as for the whole big showy thing... if you're surrounded by strangers then yeah it's a bit weird but if you're surrounded by friends then I think it's an awesome idea
I WANT TO DO THIS ONE DAY. Because I'm laaaame and sappy

man I want to be proposed to /and/ to propose to someone ;_;

edit: forgot
I'd assume that for someone to actually propose in the first place, the couple would've talked about marriage beforehand or something??

I voted "Don't care," I hope nobody takes that wrong, I meant don't care which gender proposes. Myself I'm not ballsy enough to even ask a girl /out/, so I'm definitely not up for proposing in public.

Now that I think about it no may have been a better option.

I would be incredibly surprised if anyone on this forum seriously voted 'yes'.

EDIT: for the record, I voted 'no' because uh, obviously it's not. Identifying as female does not strip me of the right to propose to my partner.
Also, how would lesbian couples manage to get this done. This question isn't very inclusive.

Hence why it says for a girl to ask a guy. I understand what you're saying, which is why I posed a question.

I don't know if I'd ever propose to a guy, I'm just not like that. I wouldn't be able to get a word out. But for some reason if it were a girl I might... I'm weird that way.

I dunno. I just don't see why it should ever actually matter. I mean surely if you're going to propose you know the other person is going to say 'yes' unless you're a really terrible planner, so I don't... really get why you wouldn't be able to? :S

Because I'm incredibly self conscious and have no metaphorical balls and my one greatest fear in life is failure and embarrassment?

I think there's nothing wrong with a girl proposing to a man, but I do like the tradition of a man proposing to a young lady. I myself don't think I'd do the whole get-down-on-one-knee thing, I'd mostly just say, "Hey, wanna get married?"

Because I'm incredibly self conscious and have no metaphorical balls and my one greatest fear in life is failure and embarrassment?

But if you know she's going to say yes then how can you possibly be afraid of failure?

Because I'm incredibly self conscious and have no metaphorical balls and my one greatest fear in life is failure and embarrassment

It's an irrational fear that probably comes from 6 years of being bullied, what can I say. Every time I do something I'm afraid that it will stick with me the rest of my life and people will tease me for it.

Whoever voted "Cookies" deserves one.

I voted "Don't care" but I suppose it's more of a matter of who it is. If I were to be in a very close relationship with a girl, I'd be the one to propose to her. Preferably in private, but anywhere would be fine as long as she says yes.

However, if I were in a close relationship with a guy, I'd more than likely want to be the one proposed to. Unless in the very rare case that I start dating a guy who's more feminine than me. But as I said, that's very rare because I live in Tennessee, and any guy who's smaller and more feminine than me is usually either 12 or has hormonal deficiencies.

Yeahhh I'm with Dannichu on proposals being weird regardless of gender. It seems really unfair to make someone give an on-the-spot answer to a decision that big under so much pressure. I agree with the general sentiment of it not being weird for the woman in a heterosexual relationship to be the one to bring up this sort of thing, though.

I guess I'm just going for cookies? It's honestly the most accurate answer here—I do care, I do have an idea, I don't want to answer "no" when it is weird, and I don't want to answer "yes" when it's not any weirder.

Whoever voted "Cookies" deserves one.

I voted "Don't care" but I suppose it's more of a matter of who it is. If I were to be in a very close relationship with a girl, I'd be the one to propose to her. Preferably in private, but anywhere would be fine as long as she says yes.

However, if I were in a close relationship with a guy, I'd more than likely want to be the one proposed to. Unless in the very rare case that I start dating a guy who's more feminine than me. But as I said, that's very rare because I live in Tennessee, and any guy who's smaller and more feminine than me is usually either 12 or has hormonal deficiencies.
Wait. Waiiiiit. (This post popped up while I was posting my last post. ... I post slowly.)

You don't care but you suppose it would have to be the non-female or less feminine one for it to feel right for you after all?

EDIT: Ohhh, wait, I guess that's consistent if you meant you don't care when it comes to other people, but that's still kind of obnoxious. :c

Last edited:
I would be incredibly surprised if anyone on this forum seriously voted 'yes'.

I semi-seriously voted yes because it would be really weird for me. If it was between other people, I wouldn't feel weird about it or anything (there's nothing wrong with it at all), but if it was me, I would rather him propose to me rather than me propose to him.

I think it comes down to the fact that I need to know for sure that he wants to marry me - if I ask him, then I think (well, what do I actually know about this; maybe my opinion will change drastically) I would always have a bit of a nagging thought something along the lines of, "If I hadn't asked, would he have married me?" that sort of thing.

So. Yes because it would be weird for me. I don't care if it's other people. So I suppose I should have voted, "don't care."

Edit: After actually reading instead of skimming the other replies, I found something new to say:

Sweetie Belle said:
I do like the tradition of a man proposing to a young lady.
That's what I mean - I like the tradition. I'd like for a guy to propose to me; I'd feel strange proposing to him.

I'm against anything to do with the gender binary, and I think it's completely normal for a woman to propose to a man. I also get really annoyed at the mindset some girls seem to have that they can't ask out men and have to wait for the man to take the first step. Then they die of old age.

I have no desire to get married but if a future boyfriend really wanted to then I suppose I would say yes, but I would never want a 'surprise' proposal because a) I hate large-scale, life-affecting surprises and b) I would probably have to say no even if I loved him with all my heart which would really suck for our relationship :o(

I think proposals in general (especially the traditional "getting down on one knee" sense) are weird. I cringe every time I hear a story about a big, showy proposal, where a guy whipped out a ring in the middle of a public place - it's horrible.

I only learned recently that, when a (opposite-sex) couple are engaged, it's usually only the woman who wears a ring, and it's historically because it marked the woman as 'taken', but the guy could still sleep around with whoever he wanted.

Also, the asking the father of the bride thing is creepy.

I'm dull and unromantic, and think that if a couple are to get married, it should be a mutual desicion made between the two of them, not a question asked (by either party!) out of the blue in a room full of strangers.
I kind of agree and kind of not. On the one hand, proposing out of the blue in a public place is really creepy and coercive (who wants to be the one to say no when everybody is watching, even if you don't really want to get married?). On the other hand, it is a way of making the agreement to get married into a considerably more romantic, memorable event than if you just decide together to get married and then do it without any cheesy proposal thing going on. There should be prior agreement that the two of you do want to get married, but the "proposal" can just be some cute, overly-romantic gesture one partner makes for the particular occasion of when you put on engagement rings - though the tradition springs from something pretty skeevy, that doesn't mean the tradition can't be put in a modern form that's actually just fun.

Shadey and I both want to get married at some point and have discussed it pretty thoroughly. At that stage, it's "safe" to propose in a flashy way because the decision is essentially already made and any reservations about how it should be carried about have already been voiced; it would just be about creating some cute memorable single moment to be able to tell people about when we get older. And at that point, the tradition of the guy proposing is kind of useful to allow the element of (pleasant) surprise to come into it without both parties ending up with some elaborate plan that only one of them then manages to execute. However, there is nothing weird about a girl proposing to a guy if that seems to be the thing to do. I kind of enjoy the idea of being proposed to more than the idea of proposing in my particular relationship, personally (I think Shadey could come up with something creative and adorable because he's something of an expert on the ridiculously cheesy-yet-sweet), but if the situation were different I'd probably enjoy proposing to a guy, too. *shrug*

Is it unconventional? yes. Wrong? no. Weird? I can't say.

I actually said "no" on the poll, but I am unsure now. I think because of what the media throws at us, we expect proposals to be this romantic scene with a man on his knee, amongst at least a semi-large crowd with their attention. I have to imagine it would be a little awkward, because of how this kind of thing is hardwired into our brains, but I don't feel as though this awkwardness couldn't be overcome. Another thing is I don't think that a girl would consider proposing, because that's supposed to be a man's thing. Like on those jewelry commercials when the woman is like "OMG HE FINALLY PROPOSED" that sort of thing leaves me wondering, Well, if you wanted to marry him so much, why didn't you propose to him? This sort of thing isn't also isn't good for the image of women, because it makes them seem not independent, like a man is the only thing that will make them complete.

And I have no problem with the tradition, as mentioned earlier, I just wish people would be more open-minded.

Back
Top Bottom