• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Instruments

I really wish I could play instruments, it seems like other people have fun when they do but I just can't :(
One of my friends says that I'm just too lazy and that everyone can play music they just don't try hard enough. Which is annoying because I really can't. I did a year of harp lessons and I can sometimes pick up individual songs on piano but I'm never actually good at it.

I think I'm just really bad at thinking about where all of my fingers are supposed to be all of the time.

I've played the clarinet since I was 12. I'm not particularly good at it (need to goddamn practice far more than I do now), but there's something inexplicable and oddly enjoyable about playing music that I don't find in other stuff.

I played piano from when I was in kindergarten to around 6th grade. I've played clarinet ever since I was about 10 :)

I can play any string, key, or percussion instrument you lay in front of me. But mostly I play the keyboard and I've got plenty of electronic music already made and published online. (In my signature)

I can play absolutely nothing. I sort of wanted to learn something when I was little, but the lessons/instruments were expensive. I've considered teaching myself something, but I don't have the faintest clue how music even works, and I have better ways to waste hours on end in the name of art X3

Trumpet since I was ten. I also took piano lessons for about a month (before quitting because I wasn't having much fun at the time) when I was around five and have been teaching myself one-handed tunes ever since.

Piano for 9 years though haven't been very active with it recently, clarinet for 5 years, guitar for a while but I really haven't been diligent and still suck at it.

Violin for...a year-ish? I kinda stopped taking lessons, though. It's beautiful, I love violins~

As I'm certain I've mentioned before (didn't we used to have another thread like this?) I play Bari sax, for about three years now. I would, however, like to learn Bass Clarinet on the side.

Note: not saying Bass clarinet > Bari sax in my mind, I just love the sound of a Bc.

Bass guitarist, both casually and band-wise. I've been playing for well over a year now, but I'm still not all that great at it. Good enough, though. :3

Also a couple songs on piano.

I haven't been keeping up with them lately, but I did play clarinet (for... uhm... 8-9 years), bassoon (for 5 years) and bass clarinet (for 2 or 3).
Low woodwinds are, like, amazing! And... awkward. I had height problems with the bass clarinet (I was usually playing one that was extended down to C, rather than the normal Eb) but yeah they are PRETTY BADASS.

One of my friends says that I'm just too lazy and that everyone can play music they just don't try hard enough. Which is annoying because I really can't. I did a year of harp lessons and I can sometimes pick up individual songs on piano but I'm never actually good at it.

That's pretty good (picking up songs on piano)! And, well, the harp is a complicated instrument, I think. And an awesome one, but. Point is you'd probably have had to "try harder" for a few more years before you were satisfied enough that you sounded decent.
It's a bit harsh for your friend to call you lazy, it just takes a long time to get used to it. Many people (including me) started so early they probably don't even remember struggling to understand music...
EDIT: Er, not meaning that last phrase to sound offensive -- just thinking of Dannichu. (:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom