• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

its roughly the same as birth control, just a few days or weaks later. Obviously people should actually care about what they let into their bodies.

no it is not

I'm all for abortion but it is not a contraceptive; it's a last resort. It shouldn't matter if you're too drunk to care, everybody should have the responsibility to use contraception. If you're 'too drunk', well either don't get drunk or don't have sex if you think you're going to be irresponsible about contraception.
If your condoms break, if you've been raped, if the pill fails, if you don't take the morning-after pill, sure, get an abortion. But abortion isn't meant to be a contraceptive. It's surgery, for christ's sake. And it's not always free/cheap in a lot of countries. And it's bloody emotionally heartbreaking for a lot of women. Pretty crappy contraceptive. It's not designed to be a an alternative to the pill/condoms/whathaveyou.

It can't even be a contraceptive because you've already conceived...arrggh. This is why so many people get the impression that abortion is for teenaged girlies that get knocked up and still want to party and forget that it's meant for people who for whatever reason can't raise a child. I'd like to say that people who can't be bothered using contraception should have to raise kids, but that'd be a pretty stupid thing to say.

Tell you what; go find a woman who's had an abortion and see how she compares it to contraception.

I would agree with your post, ultraviolet, but it has always bugged me slightly when people say "it's a last resort." I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants an abortion can get one whenever they want, and to say "it's a last resort" makes it sound like you think there should only be conditional abortions. Perhaps I'm reading into your post completely incorrectly, but that's the impression you're giving off.

People should be able to have as many abortions and they want to. The emotional trauma and all that other stuff is their own problem, not anyone else's.

i'm sorry, but i really do think about it a lot, and i have some very odd fantasies, but i see nothing wrong with it. i raised my hand and said "well... i do think, fantasize, and wonder about it... am i bad?" and they told me that i should find something better to do.
er, the "freaks" (or at least, people who are slightly different) are the teenagers who never fantasize about sex

that's like... all teenagers do

Departure Song said:
I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants an abortion can get one whenever they want, and to say "it's a last resort" makes it sound like you think there should only be conditional abortions. Perhaps I'm reading into your post completely incorrectly, but that's the impression you're giving off.

I do think that abortions should be available for whoever wants them whenever, I just think it's silly and downright stupid to use abortion as a contraceptive instead of an actual contraceptive. What's the point? condoms/pills are pretty much pain-free (emotionally/physically) compared to an abortion.

Sadly, pills have health effects. It's fine if you don't have any of the major risks, but many people do.

There are no real excuses for failing to use a condom, though.

Just a side note to the "abortion =/= contraception" thing and this:

People should be able to have as many abortions and they want to.

correct me if I'm wrong, but given that abortion's a very invasive, somewhat risky procedure... aren't there significant health risks involved with getting multiple abortions, especially at late stages? I've definitely read somewhere that having an abortion makes it harder to concieve in the future, but I think there are actual health risks involved too. I don't know too much about this, but yeah.

I would agree with your post, ultraviolet, but it has always bugged me slightly when people say "it's a last resort." I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants an abortion can get one whenever they want, and to say "it's a last resort" makes it sound like you think there should only be conditional abortions. Perhaps I'm reading into your post completely incorrectly, but that's the impression you're giving off.

People should be able to have as many abortions and they want to. The emotional trauma and all that other stuff is their own problem, not anyone else's.

I'm pretty sure anyone would only ever perform abortion if they had no other choice. For me, the life of my child will always prevail so I would only ever abort if I knew that was the best thing to do. And I can think of very little situations except teenage pregnancy and rape where that is the case for me.

or if the baby was going to be so disabled or weak that it wasn't worth it? that's about the only the other thing for me besides rape and teenage pregnancy.

correct me if I'm wrong, but given that abortion's a very invasive, somewhat risky procedure... aren't there significant health risks involved with getting multiple abortions, especially at late stages? I've definitely read somewhere that having an abortion makes it harder to concieve in the future, but I think there are actual health risks involved too. I don't know too much about this, but yeah.

I've heard this too; I've also heard other places like Scarleteen (which is a pretty good resource for sexual education, imo) and the Feminist's Women's Health Centre say that this isn't the case. This is also interesting.

Sadly, pills have health effects. It's fine if you don't have any of the major risks, but many people do.

Sure, but there are alternatives to the Pill like Depo Provera, Spermicide (although this works better in conjunction with other methods like condoms), IUDs, Implanon, and male & female condoms.
I mean the only excuse to not wear a condom is if you're allergic to latex, but I'm pretty sure there are latex-free condoms now anyway. There really isn't much of an excuse not to use contraception other than not knowing about it. :/

Last edited:
or if the baby was going to be so disabled or weak that it wasn't worth it? that's about the only the other thing for me besides rape and teenage pregnancy.

idk that sounds like "well you lost both your legs and you have the IQ of a dead banana this means I can't bring you to life because even though I love you you are going to be utterly stupid and immobile so might as well save you the trouble"

I mean if the kid is going to die at age four from some shitty disease, or if the baby is stillborn, I guess, but even a handicap shouldn't prevent you from loving your child

well, it's suck to have what's basically a statue as a child. if it can't do anything then what's the point.

plus I'd rather my children be, you know, healthy

yes I guess but even a statue for a child does not excuse you from loving it. I have almighty respect for parents that have to deal with such children. they didn't choose to have a handicapped child you know.

I think everybody should make their own choice as to whether they want to abort or not. I would however only conditionally abort my own child.

Had a sudden memory of this particular ancient edgy post from when I was 17 and went to delete it, but I see it's been quoted, so I guess I'm just going to replace it with this message to anyone who may be digging through my past, saying I'm sorry and I know this was a horrible thing to say

Last edited:
Stephen Hawkings are cool. I'd raise a child with any body, no matter how mangled, if it could learn as well as anyone else.

if the kid is just going to be a vegetable though? I don't want it. If it's never going to be brighter than the average four-year-old, I don't want it.
Stephen Hawking wasn't born like this.

I don't think I'd want any sort of disabled child. I don't view disabled people as anything "less" than people, I just don't want to bring something disabled into the world. If it happens later in life then, well, that's life, but to disadvantage a child from the moment it's born?

:(

I think it's my child and as a father I have a duty to love and raise my child with proper care, disabled or not.

Back
Top Bottom