• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Accents

British. I tend to mainly have a southen accent, but I do say some words with a northen accept as I was born up north.

A pretty generic English accent, although it's not estuary English (I don't drop my 't's etc.). And despite living in the Westcountry, I haven't picked up the pirate accent :D

Arrrr I be westcountry pirrrrrrrrate! >D

Okay, not really. I have a fairly generic southern England accent, but pronounce my A's hard (as in, basket, bath, grass, etc.), which nobody else in my family does.

I've heard British before, despite the fact I haven't had any English family since the Colonial Era.

In my own opinion, I have a standard American accent, it's just that I have a slight speech impediment. I might have a slight Southern accent, though.

I have an Australian accent, though it's not like the thick accents you hear in movies or on TV. I've had a few people ask me if I'm English, but the only people from England in my family (the grandparents) lost their accent many years before I was born so I have no idea where I might have picked it up.
I've attempted to imitate other accents though I'm limited to about one sentence per accent XD

I have an English accent because I live quite close to London, although I like speaking in a posh old English accent sometimes.

I'm not sure if a Gwent accent exists, but I sure as hell don't have any of the other Welsh accents, so it'll have to do.

I've got a smart-person accent :| Not like the uber-nerd lisp and nasal problems accent, but like, I tend to talk to people like I'm smarter than them (but I AM smarter than most of the people I'm forced to be around, it seems...) Also, I can do a great Scottish accent when I wish. I say coyote differently than anyone I know. Instead of saying it Kai-o-tea I say Koi-oh-teh. I suppose I have English undertones in my accent because I say buried "Brried" and neither "Naither" most of the time. All I know is that my ancestors cam from a lot of different places ranging from Ireland to Sweden.

According to Wikipedia, I should have a Northern Midland American accent, since I've been raised outside Columbus, although mom's side of the family came from west of Pittsburgh, but I was born in Marietta, just across the river from West Virginia, and my dad came from around there, too. So normally, I speak some flavor of Northern Midland American with a touch of Appalachian. Occasionally, however, I lapse into full-on Appalachian or whatever happens across my tongue. Like Horrifically Fake Australian.

If you really care about details, caught sounds like cot, always, roof sounds like rūf, I call soft drinks pop, or sodas, depending on how I'm feeling, I often say y'all when I feel like I can get away with it, I say "greasy" as "grē-zē", occasionally interchange "carry" with "tote" or slur "pen" into "pin", use firefly and lightning bug interchangeably, and I think I may have run the sweeper once or twice, and I berry things in the dirt more often than I bury them. I also occasionally string together words into such... phrases as "I'm'a gonna" (I am going to, pronounced ayeh'm-uh-guhn'a) and "I'd've" (I would have, pronounced aye'duhve), but I'm not sure that so much vernacular as just me.

Then there was the time I visited Ireland for a week, and at the end of it, I found myself speaking in an Irish accent to my roommate for a minute before I realized that I was doing it and made myself stop. Now I can't do an Irish accent anymore. Horribly contagious, but so hard to emulate.

But now I'm just rambling.

I speak Generic American, but with a bite more "like" and "guys" and "dude" than Generic American. I don't know if I have a Californian accent (whatever that is) or not, but I definitely don't have the Valley Girl or Surfer Dude accents.

I tend to pronounce things wrong a lot of the time and mumble my way through words I don't know. Also, I slaughter grammar when I talk, which makes myself sad because I'd know that I've just killed grammar but it'd be too late to fix.

I have a bit of a Philadelphia accent, apparently. I have no idea what the rest is.

I don't even know. A combination of stuff from the northern United States and southern Canada, I guess. Maybe a few bits from some English dialects, I really don't know. I'm in an area where most speak Inland North American, linked above, but I tend to pronounce things a bit differently. One notable example is the word "interesting". Most around me say "IN-tra-sting", but I say "IN-te-rest-ing".

I sound vaguely British and pronounce my long i's like an Australian person. Which is bizarre because I have no British ancestry.

-shrugs- I know I have a European accent of some sort, but I'm not sure from where exactly.
It comes out strongly only when I'm not paying close attention to what I'm talking about. ^^;
People sometimes tell me that it's more noticeable in vowels, such as saying and would sound like aynd.

Back
Top Bottom