• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Has Pokemon Lost its Touch?

Has the anime lost its touch?

• Yes, I can't bear to watch the newer episodes, but love the original episodes

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • The newer stuff has its moments

Votes: 64 35.2%
  • It's just as good as before!

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • It's just as bad as before!

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • I don't watch the anime

Votes: 28 15.4%

• Total voters
The anime was never good. Let's give an example of some early "Thunder Armor" moments.

Pikachu KOing Onix because it was WET, aiming for the horn, etc.

Yeah.

The anime has always been crap, people just didn't realize it.

...No comment on the "hopeless retard" part. Can a hopeless retard actually figure out something that he could do so that a certain tyrannical ancient dictator *coughthekingofPokelantiscough* wouldn't take over the world?

I'm pretty sure BRANDON didn't think of that. ^^

It's very difficult for me to put it in perspective because a 12-year-old watching a cartoon made for 12-year-olds will enjoy it more than an 18-year-old watching the same thing.

When I was a kid, I'd get up and sneak downstairs every Saturday morning to watch it on GMTV and thought it was the best thing in the world. Now I don't watch it at all and it wasn't that thrilling last time I saw it and the voice acting made me cringe.

I just don't know if it's because it's gotten worse, I've gotten older, or both.

I know right. They keep aiming for lower and lower audiences. And the voice actors suck ass man. I mean they just do. All they do is try to emulate the other voice actors. Ash... well I just want to punch the guy that says she sounds like Ash. Now I only look forward to the game although the anime does have its moments. I'm tired of all the morals and helping every freaking person that they cross. They might need help with just getting a plate and they will still help!

Frankly, both English dubs have made my ears bleed with the horribleness of the voice acting. I don't watch Pokémon in English if I can help it.

The original Icelandic dub wasn't that bad, but they only dubbed the first fifty-two episodes. I enjoyed them, although of course it was a very lame place to end - Ash had six badges and there was no sort of climax at all before it was over. I hereby formally admit that Bye Bye Butterfree made me cry. And that's not just because I was young, because I watched it in really crappy quality with that horrible English dub on YouTube a while ago and it still made me cry. Of course, I get stupidly emotional over teary goodbyes in cartoons for some reason.

I haven't actually seen any of the more recent episodes, so I can't really judge whether the quality's declined or what, but I've downloaded fansubs of some of the movies and specials, and I actually really love the eighth movie and the Raikou special, so I think they do have it in them to make some nice stuff.

It has it's moments, and even some of the fillers are entertaining (Mismageous dreams FTW). But I think the reason it's dragging is because NOA wants to avoid another bad filler season. And I think that Battle Dimention helped to redeem the anime.

But seriously, scrape the entire existing cast (yes, even Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket), and have one of the protagonists from the game be the main character. Then have the current team from the game getting in their way every so often (without a highly repetitive motto). Add in a couple more characters to go with the protagonist, and you have a fresh new overhaul to an aging anime.

The fact that Ash can't fucking realize that Team Rocket are in those disguises.

I hate Diamond/Pearl. It's just ugh. It doesn't really fit me. The game is fun, yes, but the animé I hate.

It went downhill after Hoenn. I loved the Hoenn animé.

4kids took over One Piece, and yes, the dub was terrible as well.

Misty should definately return; she's way better than any of Ash's other companions. Also, I think that in one of the upcoming movies, Ash should FINALLY evolve Pikachu.

That, and Meowth should Evolve too. Maybe some giant shockwave or whatever evolves all the Pokemon instantly, and after they fix everything, they can choose to go back to normal or not. So, Meowth, being a hater of Persains, could go back to Meowth, though he wouldn't hate them as much, and he could evolve later.

The newer episodes have their moments, but the series is moving so slooow. They need to pick up the pace and put more interesting Pokemon in the series.

For me it depends if I am watching the dubbed version or the Japanese version. The new D/P Japanese version is a little more interesting to me, the English dubbed just isn't anymore.

I think that it's Ash's new voice and the way he speaks sometimes, "ya know..." or "Pikachu use Volt Tackle, let's go!" or something like that. To me it just sounds all wrong from when I used to watch the dubbed when I was little.

The newer episodes are not as good because the voices are horrible, so I switched to Japanese episodes and I really do find them alot better than the current dub. ^^;

Duh. It sucked after Kanto. Everrrrrrrrrrrryyyone knows that. It's a FACT.

Kidding. I always have to poke fun at the YouTube Kanto-obsessors.

Spoiler: Everyone hates the new voice actors NOT because of their ability, BUT BEACUSE THEY'RE USED TO THE OLD ONES.

Another spoiler: Everyone hates the new episodes because they were little when they saw the old ones, and you think everything's good to you when you're little.

I do enjoy the anime though, no doubt. Also, I don't see how Johto is better than Sinnoh with its 997568997456898966 filler episodes.

Frankly, both English dubs have made my ears bleed with the horribleness of the voice acting. I don't watch Pokémon in English if I can help it.

The original Icelandic dub wasn't that bad, but they only dubbed the first fifty-two episodes. I enjoyed them, although of course it was a very lame place to end - Ash had six badges and there was no sort of climax at all before it was over. I hereby formally admit that Bye Bye Butterfree made me cry. And that's not just because I was young, because I watched it in really crappy quality with that horrible English dub on YouTube a while ago and it still made me cry. Of course, I get stupidly emotional over teary goodbyes in cartoons for some reason.

I haven't actually seen any of the more recent episodes, so I can't really judge whether the quality's declined or what, but I've downloaded fansubs of some of the movies and spe cials, and I actually really love the eighth movie and the Raikou special, so I think they do have it in them to make some nice stuff.

In the recent episodes, its just been plain filler. Nothing happens and all they do is introduce Ash to some random person who needs help and has one of the new DP Pokemon. I mean, its so long and boring now. The first episode came out in April of last year and still Ash only has 2 badges. I think in the same amount of time of the Kanto series, Ash was already in the Pokemon League or very near to it. Oh well.

Does anyone know where I can watch the subbed anime because I want to go ahead and go ahead and go on so I don't record anymore episodes.

And all the VA are alright except James (sounds way to cartoony) and Ash. I just don't like how she talks so fast like Pikachu No so it sounds like Pikachuno. I just don't like how Sarah whatever her name is. I'm glad Ash sounds older but still, it seems like his voice just got kind of louder and weird.
Brocks doesn't bother me that much since it sounds the same to me.

Oh yes, I actually ran specs and it turns out it has been the exact number of episodes compared to Johto and Sinnoh. On the 37th episode of each series, Ash obtained his second badge. But what made Johto alot better was that Ash was still a crap trainer who thought he was the best and was immature which made it interesting to watch. You know, calling Misty ugly and saying she's crazy and all that. Now all they do is walk down the road, help someone, keep walking, help someone. Battle a trainer and win (if he loses he battles them again at the end of the episode and wins) unless it is Paul who kicks his ass everytime.

Ash just got a little to mature.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ash IS getting too skilled for the anime. It is less of him overcoming all odds to win in an epic way (Hey, the old episodes DID have some epic victories, imo), and more of, "PIKACHU! Use Volt Tackle/Thunder/Thunderbolt/Iron Tail/Quick Attack/Whatever other damaging attacks you know!", Pikachu listens, and they own their opponent. Except when Pikachu may have a disadvantage. Then he uses some other Pokemon and it is the same thing. At least they pay attention to type matchups now >.> That always annoyed me... Except when little, when it was understandable when I would go, "WOW! A THUNDER ATTACK KNOCKED OUT GOLEM! HIS PIKACHU IS SO STRONG THAT NOTHING CAN BEAT IT! NOTHING!"

They need to retire him and follow a new trainer. If they REALLY want to keep Pikachu, then maybe set it decades in the future. Ash is a father and renowned champion, and gives his child a Pichu that evolves a few episodes in to his child, and the child sets out to become as skilled as him?

Heck, it would be better than now *Remembers when Sabrina owned him TWICE and turned his friends into dolls, forcing him to come back despite being scared*

BTW, those really wouldn't be spoilers to nearly every fan, but just to cover my butt, I used the spoiler tags

I like the manga more than anime.
I think the anime is for little kids (no offense to people who watch it)
Though only looking at anime, it has gotten better, I think.
Also, isn't Ash's Pikachu already supposed to be lvl. 100?
Why does Ash dump all his other pokemon after one season?
Ash's Butterfree should come back, too.
In manga Red likes Yellow, but in Anime, who does Ash like?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom