• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Hogwarts Houses

WHAT HOUSE ARE YOU?

• Total voters
"Now you're just being cute. I CAN'T GO TO PIGFARTS. IT'S ON MAAARS!! YOU NEEED A ROCKETSHIP. Do you have a rocketship, Potter? I bet you do. You know, not all of us inherited enough money to buy out NASA when our parents died; Look at this. Rocketship Potter. Starkid Potter. Moooonshoes Potter. TRAVERSING THE GALAXY FOR INTERGALATIC TRAVELS TO PIGFARTS."

I would like to use this thread to say that if I ever come across a copy of HP in another language my first stop is wherever I can find what the word for "Hufflepuff" is. It's more entertaining than it should be!

Anyway I voted Ravenclaw, not only because
GRYFFINDOR is for TOUGH GUYS
HUFFLEPUFF is for PUSSIES
RAVENCLAW is for NERDS
SLYTHERIN is for GIMPS
It's the only one there that isn't insulting.

Yeeeah, that Facebook one seems pretty terrible. :/

Got Ravenclaw on the earlier-linked one, as predicted (Ravenclaw - 14, Hufflepuff - 13, Gryffindor - 11, Slytherin - 7).

I rather agree with #1 bro on Slytherin; though it is the most negatively portrayed house, it's decidedly not gothic or emo, and it doesn't even have to just be the house of jerks. Slytherin is about ambition and exclusivity. I'd like to see those aspects better represented on quizzes like this, rather than just "if you like punching and bullying people, you're in Slytherin". Heck, if it were, I think I'd be reasonably high on the Slytherin scale.

House quizzes should totally have a question that just asks which house you'd like to be in and give that extra weight. It's canon!

You should make a House quiz sometime in the distant future.

"Now you're just being cute. I CAN'T GO TO PIGFARTS. IT'S ON MAAARS!! YOU NEEED A ROCKETSHIP. Do you have a rocketship, Potter? I bet you do. You know, not all of us inherited enough money to buy out NASA when our parents died; Look at this. Rocketship Potter. Starkid Potter. Moooonshoes Potter. TRAVERSING THE GALAXY FOR INTERGALATIC TRAVELS TO PIGFARTS."

The best thing ever is that my mom knows that quote.

I'm a mildly confused pussy that is a nerd and likes being better then others. Yet I ended up getting Slytherin in some quizzes.

Heylp. (For now I'll trust the quiz and go Slithers)

You've also got to bear in mind that Peter Pettigrew, the person who essentially "revived" Voldemort in the Goblet of Fire, was in fact a Gryffindor whilst at Hogwarts. Regulus Black, who was a follower of Voldemort was apparently against his killings and went so far as to try to destroy one of Voldemort's horcruxes and he was a Slytherin. Andromeda Black, Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange's sister, actually went and married a muggle and was in Slytherin so it's probably very likely that she stood pretty firmly against the pureblood superiority struggle.

The way I see it, people get sorted based on their values rather than how they actually are, as it pretty much explains everything. Pettigrew wasn't brave, but valued bravery and looked up to those who were bold and fearless as idols; Sirius, James. Hence, Gryffindor. Snape was ridiculously brave, but he didn't value bravery (and couldn't understand why Dumbledore respected him for his bravery). He valued cunning and following his own goals. Hence, Slytherin.

I dunno, it just seems to explain things better than how most of the book characters described the houses. Besides, the house founders would have valued their houses' traits rather than necessarily actually possess them. Helga Hufflepuff valued honesty, those who worked hard, Rowena Ravenclaw valued intelligence, etc.

...I spend way too much time thinking about these things.

^ Aaaaah. I really like that. :3

Right, I've been thinking about this, and the more I do, the more it annoys me:

The thing about Hufflepuff is it's supposed to be the house with the loyal, patient, hard-working people go, but the Sorting Hat song also says that Helga "took the rest" after the other three founders had picked the students they wanted. Which implies that nobody gets into Hufflepuff on their own merit, they simply lack the nessesary qualities/values (intelligence, bravery, ambition) to get into any of the others.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one or the other. :/

Maybe everyone else was just loyal, patient, and hard-working? :D /HOPEFUL

And Cirrus' point is pretty much exactly why I'm in Gryffindor. I'm intelligent, but I value people who are courageous and fearless above anything, and that's what I want to be!

I personally see it as the hat placing people int he house that would best benefit them -- thus Hermione was in Gryffindor and not Ravenclaw, because in the latter house she would not amount to anything and just be a frazzled nerd. Harry would, of course, make a wonderful Slytherin, as the hat suggested -- I think he would have learned much more there, and become more efficient, but Gryffindor was still a good place for him.

Hrm. I value my own ability to stand against other people who tell me I'm going to do crap and rebelling against the system in my own special way. (I've actually been informed that I am one of the new class examples for determination and basic standing up against the evil school system of predicted grades by rejecting the predicted grades given to me purely based on the fact that I was confident I could do better. Oh, and vetstuff!). A Ravenclawish and Gryffindorish trait in any case. I just value my confidence and jumping in head first-ness over my actual intelligence, and tend to rely on my intelligence afterwards. (See: London Expo. I KNEW you'd return to the point I saw Grabby at! :P).

In fact, my veterinary life ambitions are even a good example of it. I had a complete disregard of the grades I'd have needed until about two years ago and for 15 or so years prior, was just determined that I'd be one regardless of everything.

In any case, Cirrus, I see where you come from and actually completely agree with you. However, I'm not sure it applies in all cases? Perhaps the Sorting Hat takes both things into account? You of the past, you of the present, you of the future and your values along the way type thing?
I can't really see Neville Longbottom of the first book valuing a quality, bravery, which he didn't seem to believe he had prior to standing up to Harry, Ron and Hermione right towards the end.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm lazy, I'd say Hufflepuff. But since I am lazy, I'm unsure. Probably Hufflepuff though, once you get over the laziness.

My personal theory on Hufflepuff is that originally Helga Hufflepuff just took the rest the others wouldn't have, but because loyalty/honesty/hardworkingness were the traits she valued most, she resolved to teach her students those values and subsequently those are the ones the Sorting Hat continues to look for in determining where somebody belongs.

On tests I akways get sorted to Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.

Also, why is the meme on the web always 'NO! X DOES NOT Y!! 20 POINTS FROM HUFFLEPUFF!!!' ?

Also, why is the meme on the web always 'NO! X DOES NOT Y!! 20 POINTS FROM HUFFLEPUFF!!!' ?

There's a picture of Snape hanging in one of the computer labs at my school that says "No, Mr. Diggory, vampires do not sparkle. 50 points from Hufflepuff." Makes my life XD

(one of the english teachers loves Harry Potter a hell of a lot. I'm assuming that's why, since my homeroom is her classroom, there's a motion-activated Fluffy.)

Back
Top Bottom