• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did your religious beliefs (or lack of them) come about for you?

I just think I found it hard to believe in a giant floating palace in the sky that you went to when you died. Sure, I'd LOVE to go somewhere in the afterlife, but I don't it exists.

Ugh, that's the second time I reply to a post and forget to check the "Quote message in reply" button. I said "what" to Pwnemon, not you.

Well, when people say that there are so many worlds out there that one must be populous in response to the fact that the chances of a populous world are 1/googolplex

...and the anthropic principle makes the teleological argument work how?

And that's really why I don't get all the Catholic hate. Maybe I just grew up in too liberal of a family and too liberal of a parish with too liberal of a priest, idk.
Same. I actually went to a catholic school myself and they were perfectly fine with homosexuals and transsexuals. One teacher even explained the subject of trans people to a student that asked a question in a really calm and casual way, not making a big deal out of it or anything. It was a really pleasant surprise.
I'm sure as hell not saying catholicism is prefect and doesn't deserve any criticism or whatever, but it does bother me when people make sweeping generalizations.

It's really quite amazing to see the personality that this sort of argument brings out in people. I'd personally be interested to see if there are, in fact, any strongly religious individuals on this forum, and find out their experiences. I'll put my own experience here also, so as to stay on topic.
Neither of my parents are religious in any overt way. Despite that, in primary school we had a 'Religion' class or something similar and my Mum actually didn't want my brother and I participating at all, but my Dad did and he eventually won out. I never found any real interest in it.

I went to a self-proclaimed 'Christian School' for High School. There was a chapel, and once a year my year group would attend a 'mandatory' Church Service, and once a week in assembly we'd listen to the reverend speak about some current topic in a religious context. So whilst religion was certainly present, it was still a matter of choice. I see the word 'Atheist' being used often in this thread and whilst reading it occurred to me that I have never thought to apply something like that to myself. I don't believe in any religion, but I still thought of atheists as other people, and not me.

I am not gay, but I am very supportive of that culture, as well as having an (as yet) still-growing interest in the natural world; eg. science, evolution, etc. It is these aspects of myself that cause me to know that religion is not the right lifestyle for me. I would hope that others would be accepting of my decisions and as such I try not to go around insulting those that have other beliefs.

It is a sad but true fact, however, that my decisions and beliefs are not universally accepted by all and in that respect I have a certain faint hope that the next century or two will see a shift in the modern culture of humanity, and that the realisation is made that these issues, such as science v religion, and gay rights, will not just go away. I like to believe, above all else, that the beliefs of our generation and that of our children will eventually replace the antiquated beliefs of old, and that as a society we can move forward. I think we already are; it shows in the hiddens corners of the internet, flickers of clarity and perception that I hope will spill out into the larger world eventually. I’m not sure if that sort of belief can be called ‘atheist’ or something different altogether, but that is what I believe.

Hmm…that went on a little longer than I had anticipated. :V

Last edited:
I became an agnostic/atheist a couple years ago. Part of that time, I considered myself deist, but that was more of a transitional state from Christianity to atheism.

What made me decide to rebel from Christianity? (fun fact: 93% of South Carolina is Christian.) A variety of things, but mainly logic and reason. I'm a very logical, rational person. My number one argument against religion of any kind is simply lack of evidence. Show me evidence, I will believe in your god. Also, a specific argument against Christianity is that its holy text, the Bible, is, in my opinion, contradictory. I came to this conclusion after studying it myself.

On the other hand, I'm a big believer in respecting others' faith. I do not think that religious people are somehow mentally deficient or ignorant. They, unlike me, are willing to put faith in something that they cannot see, and I don't belittle them for that. What I do hate is when religious people use their beliefs to attack and judge other people.

Okay, this might take a while.

So my father grew up Lutheran and my mother grew up Jewish, but she was "abused" and therefore hates Judaism with a fiery burning passion, and converted to general Christianity in her 20's because of some ladies at a Chinese restaurant. As a couple they were just uber conservative people who hung out with Christians. They homeschooled me and my siblings for ten (compiled) years, which means that I was the most sheltered child ever and all I actually knew was the classic 'evolution is a lie of the devil and Jesus loves me'. Oh, I was also several years behind when they put me in school.

Which happened to be a conservative Baptist hellhole. Every Wednesday we all filed into the chapel and sang two hymns and listened to Brother Somebody rant about how we were going to hell and had to get saved. Oh, and that we were all damned to hell and we were sinning right now. Don't forget that we were going to hell. (Note: the school was K-12. Everyone in the school heard this, every Wednesday. Or Thursday depending on your grade.) [To put your child in this school you had to sign a wavier that you would accept any punishment the school doled out as a result of your child's behavior no matter what. Please consider the implications. Now assume you are right.] This led to me being rather conflicted because "you're damned to hell" =/= "jesus loves you"

Then we left that school because I had a complete mental breakdown complete with tragic hospital stay and learning everything I'd been sheltered from my whole life. Which of course led to complete indecisiveness because hello, culture shock!

Also, out of spite because she hadn't been able to see my sister at all when she (my sister) was little (due to my mother hating Judaism and all its spawn with a fiery burning passion), my grandmother decided that I should be raised an orthodox Jew (which she isn't herself, but she's also not a real vegan, so eh) just because she said so. The only actual result of that is that she takes me to her ultra-liberal jews "agrees" every couple of months and the occasional temple service (I only go because they have chocolate, really). Oh, and to talk to all of the Rabbis in the city. (Just... because that's apparently necessary. Because I'm a "Jew".)

And then I went to Catholic school, where the teachers weren't demonic, so all was (probably) well. And I joined their church because that got my parents a tasty tuition discount.

And then my mom converted to Charismatic, and I went to a bunch of her events and such, and joined those churches too. (Not really a conversion experience. They fed me donuts and were like 'here have a flag, go have fun')

Technically, I'm currently a member of every culturally prominent monotheistic religion save Islam. (I even dated a Mormon.) Which I'll probably join later because I can.

Realistically, I'm a nondenominational Christian because I do, in fact, believe that there is a God as the bottom line. But I'm definitely not Catholic (the pope is infallible my ass), Baptist (The fires of hell can go burn somewhere else), or an orthodox Jew. So basically everybody who raised me totally failed! Whoo!

Moving on... I don't hate homosexuality, I don't promote abortion but I'm not going to murder you for having one - personally I think it's more of a case-by-case thing, but have one major point: if recent world leaders had been aborted, where would the world be today? You coulda just killed the future president. : P - and would prefer not to debate the issue because it's both right and wrong and I don't feel like getting involved. Also, my best friend is a pagan (like a wiccan but not new-age) and my other best friend is an atheist, so I probably don't have a huge problem with forcing my religion down people's throats or with coexisting.

Also, I am not liberal or conservative. Or even communist. I just won't recycle unless you designate a recycling bin and will vote based on how capable I think the candidates are, not what party they represent.

Regarding: "promote abortion": I don't think anyone promotes abortion. It's not like "the hip new thing". Pro-choice advocates usually see abortion as a last resort, and think that contraception and sex education are better alternatives, but also that at the end of the day it is the woman's right to decide what goes on inside her body.

JS.

The rest of your post was interesting.

Regarding: "promote abortion": I don't think anyone promotes abortion. It's not like "the hip new thing". Pro-choice advocates usually see abortion as a last resort, and think that contraception and sex education are better alternatives, but also that at the end of the day it is the woman's right to decide what goes on inside her body.

...I probably said that because I know too many teenaged girls who had sex just so they could get an abortion...
And yes, I know that they are all freak cases.

But thanks. Last resorts are important.

Back
Top Bottom