• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

HELLO I like French.

Je suis assez fluide en français pour, euh, jouer aux jeux vidéo en français? J'ai aussi regardé Persepolis en français il y a quelque temps sans trop devoir regarder aux sous-titres (et c'étaient des sous-titres français! J'avais seulement des problèmes à comprendre le français trop vite parlé), mais rien depuis. J'essaie de trouver des choses comme ça parfois pour garder mon français et peut-être même l'améliorer, mais j'ai moins souvent l'occasion de le parler ou de l'écrire, malheureusement. Mais je crois que j'en fais assez bien? Je me trompe parfois du sexe d'un nom, mais c'est d'habitude un nom que j'ai appris il y a longtemps; j'ai plus ou moins l'idée maintenant de mémoriser le sexe comme je mémorise l'orthographe. Et le vouvoiement m'est venu assez naturellement dès le début, mais il me semblait toujours que personne d'autre dans mes classes n'essayait d'en faire.

DE TOUTE FACON je ne sais pas trop quoi dire; c'était vraiment juste un exercice pour voir si je pouvais écrire un bon paragraphe en français. /o/ Quelqu'un pourrait m'en donner des commentaires...?

except russian - wtf is going on there

Russian has the easiest gender system of any language I've studied. O_o Mostly because you don't need to remember anything - the ending itself tells you what the gender is. Just remember the few irregular ones like время and you're good to go. Declension in Russian isn't a big deal either - the only one that caused me any pain was the genitive plural.

And just for fun, declensions in Russian:

Nominative - Accusative - Prepositional - Dative - Genitive - Instrumental
стол - стол - столе - столу - стола - столом
книга - книгу - книге - книге - книги - книгой
письмо - письмо - письме - письму - письма - письмом

столы - столы - столах - столам - столов - столами
книги - книги - книгах - книгам - книг - книгами
письма - письма - письмах - письмам - писем - письмами

Besides the genitive plural, Russian declensions are really easy to make.

Last edited:
oi, chinese has a much easier gender system. mostly because it doesn't exist.

actually, it doesn't have lots of things. it doesn't even have grammatical number!

I mean, really, who needs all this stuff which only serves to confuse people! silly westerners.

I'm not using accent marks because I'm lazy.

Hola, me llamo Silvia (Tengo silvia hoy llamo de espanol). Me gusta la dibujo y desconso.

How I have an A in the class, I don't know...

Russian adjectival declensions are slightly more of a pain in the ass, but after seeing them so many times I've gotten used to them.

oi, chinese has a much easier gender system. mostly because it doesn't exist.

actually, it doesn't have lots of things. it doesn't even have grammatical number!

I mean, really, who needs all this stuff which only serves to confuse people! silly westerners.

Isolating languages ftw.
Though are there purely isolating languages with gender?

Chinese is ridiculous in other ways. Take words like 身体, for example. You can't simply say "body" when you mean "body"; no, you have to call it a "body-body", because if you just say "body" it could be misinterpreted as "arsenic" or something. Granted, there's usually a context, but you know what I mean. What Chinese lacks in complexity it makes up for in ambiguity.

And don't get me started on the writing...

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deustch, and that's as far as my foreign language skills go (I don't count my tourist-grade French).

English, a fair bit of Spanish and German and I'm fluent in Klingon. I'm taking Spanish and German further, and would like to end up teaching them in later life. I'm also interested in taking a Japanese GCSE somehow.

Oh my god. I remember the French oral like it was yesterday. O.O
I remember picking, for reasons unknown even to myself, the topic of health to talk about, and I basically said that everything was "bon pour ma coer".

If you said that, I can't imagine them liking it, hah... as it's coeur...

(not to be nasty, as I suck at French, but it just made me laugh)

I'M NOT NATIVE SPEAKING but regardless I'd like to try to help you anyway. If I make any mistakes, I assume someone better than I will correct mine.

Help needed! Basically I have a French speaking exam for my GCSE on Tuesday and I want full marks. I will upload a pronunciation video tomorrow, but for now, if a native speaker could look over the written version and root out syntactical or grammatical errors, I would be really, really grateful!

What is your favourite sort of holiday?

Mes vacances préferées sont quand je vais au quelque pays où il fait beau tous les jours. Bien que je sois un garçon qui admire le temps quand il pleut, je préfère le soileil et je préfère pouvoir me bronzer sur la plage ou nager dans la mer.

Do you think that holidays are important?

Oui, je pense que les vancances sont très importantes car elles sont une bonne opportunité de se détendre et s'amuser. Pour cette raison je ne pense pas que les vacances d'entreprise soyent ɲaussi bonnes que les vacances régulières car elles ne sont pas assez reposantes. Cependant, j'aime qu'on puisse prendre un avion au quelque pays et que ça ne coute pascher.

Describe your last holiday

Pour mes vacances dernières, je suis allé en Italie avec mes amis et avec mon école pour visiter les ruines romaines parmi autres choses. J'ai eu le temps le plus bien de ma vie entière car mes amis étaient cool et les ruines étaient très interessantes. Le temps était très [Although it would be generaly better to just say "Il faisait tres beau" really] bon aussi - il n'a pas plu. Quand j'étais là, j'ai pris beaucoup de nourriture itallienne comme des pâtes et de la pizza authentique. C'était fantastique!

Are you going to return?

Si je peux rétourner, bien sur, je retournerai. J'adore l'Italie et la nourriture italienne et les gens italiens. En fait, cette école va organiser un autre voyage à Sicilie pour mars [Shouldn't be any preposition here, so no 'dans'] l'année prochaine. Je vais demander à mes parents pour voir si je peux y aller, et plus de mes amis vont y aller après queje les aie [subjunctive! But pronounced the same] parlé du voyage en Italie cette fois. Si j'y irai, ça sera éxcéllent!

Castform did a good work, and he deserves some holidays.

I'll just throw out some more general criticisms and such.

What is your favourite sort of holiday?

Mes vacances préferées sont quand je vais au quelque pays où il fait beau tous les jours. Bien que je sois un garçon qui admire le temps quand il pleut, je préfère le soleil et je préfère pouvoir me bronzer sur la plage ou nager dans la mer.
You don't really say 'au quelques pays' like that, translated literally it'd sound something like 'my favourite holidays are when I go to those few countries'. Unless that was what you were going for, it would be much more natural to say something like 'Ma destination de vacances (there might be a typo there but the idea is that if you say 'mes vacances préferées' it sounds like you're talking about the memory of a specific vacation you had, not a general favourite sort) préferée serait un pays ou il fait beau tout les jours'.

Do you think that holidays are important?

Oui, je pense que les vacances sont très importantes car elles sont une bonne opportunité de se détendre et s'amuser. Pour cette raison je ne pense pas que les vacances d'entreprise soyent aussi bonnes que les vacances régulières car elles ne sont pas assez reposantes. Cependant, j'aime qu'on puisse prendre un avion au quelque pays et que ça ne coute pas cher.
This is pretty good, but 'vacances régulieres' sounds very off. 'Régulieres' is kind of a rare word in general and it doesn't make much sense in this context. 'Ordinaires' would be better.
The latter part of the last sentence doesn't make very much sense, specifically the 'j'aime qu'on puisse prendre un avion au quelque pays'. This would mean something like 'I like that it is possible to go on those country-flavoured airplanes', though it's very hard to translate the 'au' because it shouldn't be there. 'J'aime qu'on puisse prendre un avion à destination de nombreux pays' is better if you mean that you can go on plane to many countries.

Describe your last holiday

Pour mes vacances dernières, je suis allé en Italie avec mes amis et avec mon école pour visiter les ruines romaines, parmi autres choses. J'ai eu le temps le plus bien de ma vie entière car mes amis étaient cool et les ruines étaient très interessantes. Le temps était très [Although it would be generaly better to just say "Il faisait tres beau" really] bon aussi - il n'a pas plu. Quand j'étais là, j'ai pris beaucoup de nourriture itallienne comme des pâtes et de la pizza authentique. C'était fantastique!
'Pour mes dernières vacances' is the correct way, even though it still sounds pretty stiff but I'm having a brain freeze at the moment.
It's useful to keep in mind that normal English expressions can sound really weird when translated, and 'j'ai eu le temps le plus bien de ma vie entiére' is understandable but wrong. 'J'ai passé le meilleur moment de toute ma vie' would be the more natural way.
The rest is fine but 'j'ai pris beaucoup de nourriture' is a little bit dodgy because in this context, you would read 'pris' as in literally 'took', like you just grabbed the food and made a dash for it. A simple 'J'ai mangé' or 'j'ai gouté' works fine.

Are you going to return?

Si je peux rétourner, bien sur, je retournerai. J'adore l'Italie et la nourriture italienne et les gens italiens. En fait, mon école va organiser un autre voyage à Sicilie pour mars [Shouldn't be any preposition here, so no 'dans'] l'année prochaine. Je vais demander à mes parents pour voir si je peux y aller, et plus de mes amis vont y aller après queje les aie [subjunctive! But pronounced the same] parlé du voyage en Italie cette fois. Si j'y irai, ça sera éxcéllent!
'en mars' sounds better instead of 'pour mars', because that's "in March' instead of 'for March' (respectively). 'Je vais demander a mes parents pour voir si je peux y aller' is completely fine but a bit long-winded, so unless you're aiming for a specific wordcount 'Je vais demander a mes parents si je peux y aller' is less formal.
After that, do you mean that more friends are coming after you talked to them about the last trip? If so, the sentence reads better if it's 'et plus (remember to read 'pluSS' and not 'plu' because the latter means none and would be incorrect in context anyway :( ) de mes amis ont voulu y aller après que je leur aie parlé du voyage en Italie la fois derniére'. If the sentence is more along the lines that more friends will want to go if you tell them about the next trip, it's 'et plus de mes amis vont vouloir y aller après que je leur parle du prochain voyage', though that's slightly informal.

YEAH sorry for typos i am hurrying

Thank you so much <3

I got 28/30 - my accent let me down by one mark and my "range of vocabulary" as well because I used the same phrase twice in a paragraph. Meh. It still means that I've got 116/120 overall on the coursework element, with only the 40% for the reading and listening to go at the sat exam in June. :D

Excellent, well done! That's a very good grade, and I imagine you'll find the papers quite easy, since you're obviously pretty good, and they're not all that difficult anyway. Bravo, mon cher!

Apparently so. The girls' school counterpart to our all-males school does it. Ours offers Mandarin Chinese instead. And well done on your French oral!

Well I never knew that! My conglomerate of schools offers French, Spanish, German, Italian and Mandarin, but I suppose that's quite a sheltered variety. And thanks!

Back
Top Bottom