• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Least favorite Pokémon generation?

Re: Least favorite Pokémon generation?

It's DEFINITELY the first time I've actually felt like completing the national pokédex is completely possible and not all that unreasonable. Also the first time I've ever fully completed a regional pokédex.

Yeah, gen. 5 is my overall favorite generation.

I felt cheated by gen 5's postgame, honestly. :\ It's definitely one of the more fun ones to play through, but I was horrendously disappointed to find out that I had done everything postgame in a day. Dream World is also really tedious to keep up with; not giving plots to plant berries was a bad idea.

Would you care to list all of these expectations for us? I am curious to hear these, since many people I've talked to have been pleased with Gen 5.

I can't speak for everyone here, but the 3-D was disappointing. The part where they tried to show it off the most (I think), Skyarrow Bridge, had me running through it wishing I had a bike. Also, the game zooms in on the sprites sometimes, revealing pixelly sprites. If you can't do it professionally, don't do it at all. On the same note, I'm disappointed that they haven't switched to vector sprites yet. And the music. I didn't really expect a whole lot, but the music was the worst since G/S/C. Only Castelia City had good music. The rest was all meh, and a few were downright WTF?!

As for the Pokémon designs, I started out disliking gen. IV's, but then warmed up to them when I saw gen. V's, so I can't really judge them. As of now, though, I think half of them are good, one sixth is just stupid and should be ditched in all future generations, and the other third is okay, but could be improved.

And a bunch of stuff I forgot, but will remember when I play again.

And the music. I didn't really expect a whole lot, but the music was the worst since G/S/C. Only Castelia City had good music. The rest was all meh, and a few were downright WTF?!

... everyone I know (including myself) loves the soundtrack but hates Castelia.

To put it simply, Gen 5 failed to live up everybody's expectations in many, many aspects.
I think maybe you should have worded it like this,
"To put it simply, Gen V failed to live up to my expectations in many, many aspects."

Seriously, you can't speak for a lot of people who mostly have differing opinions.

I actually was extremely disappointed with Generation V.

First, the Pokémon. A portion of them, as no doubt everyone knows, are just re-hashes of Generation I Pokémon (e.g. Timburr = Machop, Tympole = Poliwag, Throh and Sawk = Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, Heatmor = Magmar, Bouffalant = Tauros), and another portion were more but marginally imaginative (e.g. Vanillite). However, I did like a few of them, particularly Chandelure, Gothitelle, Accelgor/Escavalier, and Leavanny. Nintendo has only compounded this error by restricting video game tournaments to just this generation.

Second, despite the feature of seasons, Unova has failed to pique my interest. It's in the shape of a hexagon surrounding the Entralink (which gets points for reminding me of the Altun Ha ruins in Belize) with a spur to the south. I kind of liked the naturally winding ways of Hoenn and (shock, horror!) Sinnoh better. I also expected the region to be based, perhaps, on Japan's Seto Suo instead of New York City (and seeing as Staten Island and Long Island aren't mimicked, I still don't see much semblance).

Third, the fact that both Hoenn and Sinnoh had periodic (but differently triggered) Trainer rematches in the first games to introduce them and Unova limited this to the sports domes made things quickly boring, especially as levelling up prior to facing N for the last time was strenuous.

I think maybe you should have worded it like this,
"To put it simply, Gen V failed to live up to my expectations in many, many aspects."

Seriously, you can't speak for a lot of people who mostly have differing opinions.

"To put it simply, Gen V failed to live up to a big enough bunch of people's expectations in many, many aspects."

My apologies.

EDIT: By Request:

I. Lack of imaginative designs / types. Honestly, I feel they copy pasted a lot from Gen One, and while some of them really were amazing, I think that Game Freak could've done much better in that department, including (but not limited to) new interesting typings (there were some, agree, but only a portion. Like, who needed another Fire/Fight starter? And water/ground amphibian? water/rock fossil? Pure Psychic types?) and I also felt that the designs were bland and uninspired (an Ice Cream, come on).

II. Linear walkthrough. As said already, Unova is nothing but a line you follow, with only few hidden paths and sidequests. The sidequest part is the most annoying, really. DPPt had contests, Underground, Great Marsh and Battle Frontier, HGSS had, Pokéwalker, Pokéathlon (man I loved that so much) and various contests (bug-catching, Safari, etc), making the walkthrough interesting. B/W had, what... Musicals? Haha. Slap on accessories and watch it happen appart from tapping on them at times (2 max). Got bored quickly.

III. Boring post-game. Yeah, the sudden level boost was making things interesting for a while, but when you're done with that you're pretty much done with everything. Again, I got bored with White faster than with any other Pokémon game I've played so far.

Besides all that, though, I must admit that the Legendary Backstory (N's Castle and everything) was definitely superior in almost every aspect to the other games. I was blown away.

But this is only my point of view, of course. Feel free to love it, just giving away my opinion. Yeah yeah Wobbles you were right >:\

ANOTHER EDIT: Yeah I don't have wifi so no Dream World though...

Last edited:

"To put it simply, Gen V failed to live up to a big enough bunch of people's expectations in many, many aspects."

My apologies.
It's fine, it's just I have a pet peeve for people that try to make decisions for me. Since I'm almost six feet and bulky, almost everyone tries to get to play American football, but I find no interest in the sport.

Personally, my least fav is gen 5. Compared to sinnoh, which was fun to explore, had high enough levels, gym leaders with personality, awesome evolutions and an amazing team galactic storyline, unova has alot of pokemon and a lot of caves. That is pretty much it.
EDIT: just realized that my post was a dumbed down version of Lord of the Fireflies. First post and it fails miserbly. Oh, well........

Last edited:

My least favorite region was Sinnoh, and I wasn't fond of the D/P/Pl games at all really. My favorite region was Hoenn, but my favorite games were HG/SS

My apologies.

EDIT: By Request:

I. Lack of imaginative designs / types. Honestly, I feel they copy pasted a lot from Gen One, and while some of them really were amazing, I think that Game Freak could've done much better in that department, including (but not limited to) new interesting typings (there were some, agree, but only a portion. Like, who needed another Fire/Fight starter? And water/ground amphibian? water/rock fossil? Pure Psychic types?) and I also felt that the designs were bland and uninspired (an Ice Cream, come on).

II. Linear walkthrough. As said already, Unova is nothing but a line you follow, with only few hidden paths and sidequests. The sidequest part is the most annoying, really. DPPt had contests, Underground, Great Marsh and Battle Frontier, HGSS had, Pokéwalker, Pokéathlon (man I loved that so much) and various contests (bug-catching, Safari, etc), making the walkthrough interesting. B/W had, what... Musicals? Haha. Slap on accessories and watch it happen appart from tapping on them at times (2 max). Got bored quickly.

III. Boring post-game. Yeah, the sudden level boost was making things interesting for a while, but when you're done with that you're pretty much done with everything. Again, I got bored with White faster than with any other Pokémon game I've played so far.

Besides all that, though, I must admit that the Legendary Backstory (N's Castle and everything) was definitely superior in almost every aspect to the other games. I was blown away.

But this is only my point of view, of course. Feel free to love it, just giving away my opinion. Yeah yeah Wobbles you were right >:\

ANOTHER EDIT: Yeah I don't have wifi so no Dream World though...

This. Especially III. I was bored so fast it's almost useless having a badass team with nothing to wipe the floor with. And they should've brought back the underground.

Generation I. COME AT ME BRO
Boring, boring designs in both Pokémon and characters. And this could just be because my first game was Pearl but the games themselves were just bland.

No thank you I will be keeping my generations III, IV and V thank you very much.

I would have to say gen 4. But that is only because I love the rest. :3 It was actually ok, I just don't find it as easy to pick up and start again as my fire red game or my sapphire game. That said, I do get nostalgic about those two.

I was okay with Gen 4 the first two or three times when they were the newest games, but now, I can't pick up Diamond or Platinum and casually restart it. Its painfully boring. I love HGSS though, even though, personally, it takes a bit more motivation than it does for R/S/E to play through completely more than once.

I also felt that the designs were bland and uninspired (an Ice Cream, come on).

Is an ice cream more "bland and uninspired" than a purple mouse that doesn't know any special attacks since Gen IV? Or a cobra that that only looks unrealistic for type attributes? The stranger the base is, the more interesting it is. It's positive that they keep coming up with more things. Bonus if it's not supposed to be alive.

But pokémon aren't supposed to be fooooood

Sure, all gens had their load of bland designs - but I just felt Gen V was the worst.

I haven't played 5th gen yet but out of all the ones I've played my vote goes to 3rd gen. I didn't like the changes in the battle system (EVs, especially), the fact many Pokémon were rip-offs of 1st gen Pokémon, the stupid villains and the uninspired Elite Four, which once again was a clone of 1st gen's (with only Sidney being different since he used Dark-types). 4th gen fixed most of 3rd gen's shortcomings IMO (although it introduced Stealth Rock which is the worst move in existence), in the same way 2nd gen was a welcome expansion to 1st gen.

I already cringed at the fact they "cloned" Pokémon again... Was a Machop clone (Timburr) really necessary? Both even have Guts as an ability (the difference being that it's not the preferred ability on Machamp)! I did like a few designs, however... Braviary for example. But I feel that, for the first time in years, I might be forced to choose a starter other than a Fire-type, as I can't stand Emboar's looks...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom