• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Least favorite Pokémon generation?

Re: Least favorite Pokémon generation?

well played, I concur

But still, I kinda disliked gen I too, and when we're down to the fifth Gen, after over 15 years of pokémon evolution (no pun intended) it's kinda normal to expect some creativity :S

well played, I concur

But still, I kinda disliked gen I too, and when we're down to the fifth Gen, after over 15 years of pokémon evolution (no pun intended) it's kinda normal to expect some creativity :S

Hm, I feel like Gen 5 had a lot more creative designs than Gen 1 (shoot me, nostalgia fans)! I mean, yes, Gen 5 have some "meh" ones like Purrloin (which looks really similar to Glameow), and the Foongus line, but the awesome Pokemon outnumbers the average ones by quite a bit (Archeops, Braviary, Galvantula, Scolipede... I can go on forever). Meanwhile, the Gen 1 Pokemon are more average than awesome (or cool or cute, for that matter), while the number of uninspired ones is a lot bigger (Muk and Grimer, Electrode, Magneton, Clefairy vs Jigglypuff, Rattatat). I'll cut Gen 1 some slack because it's the first generation and thus Nintendo doesn't need to be too creative, but still.

TBH, gen V was the most non-lishus meal/pokemon game i've played. When I was playing white, i felt i was having fun despite white, rather than because of it, mainly because of the stupid c-gear. My favorite gen was III, (In other words, emerald), because of it's huge diversity. I just hope the rumors of a remake are true..

Gen II. It didn't appeal to me as much as the rest did.

I think the 5th gen is okay in appearance, but they really failed at the english names.
and I dont like the pokemon that are EVERYWHERE like Zubats. Zubats totally ruined the caves for me.

I do think the Gen V names were OK, but with the shaking grass and dust clouds, I wish there was more of a variety. All shaking grass spots are 99% Audino and 1% everything else. And the dust clouds are pretty much either Drilbur or Exadrill The rippling water, in my opinon, was fine.

I do think the Gen V names were OK, but with the shaking grass and dust clouds, I wish there was more of a variety. All shaking grass spots are 99% Audino and 1% everything else. And the dust clouds are pretty much either Drilbur or Exadrill The rippling water, in my opinon, was fine.

Seconding this. It's a pain in the butt thinking "OOH! YAY! SHAKING GRASS!", running in, and saying "Aw, sh*t, an Audino again"

audino are great when you need experience or hp evs. they're kind of a pain when you have repels on and you run into shaking grass, though.

Personally, I thought Generation 1 was the worst one in the entire pokemon series. Not because of the pokemon themselves, I mean they were all pretty damn cool at the time, even if I think they're a bit meh now, but because of the huuuge amount of coding errors and crap gameplay mechanics. I think it was barely up to closed beta version when they released the damn thing, so it looked as if they'd rushed it and just jammed it onto the shelves.

I mean, pokemon who wake up in the same turn as being put to sleep by a move that's very shaky to hit anyway. Safari pokemon turning up at the right-hand side of Cinnabar island when you surf up and down (admittedly one of the cooler bugs), Missingno, the entire, convoluted Mew cheat. Not the truck one, which was a hoax, but the one that actually worked by chaining bugs together. All of it just bundled together into a big pile of Fail.

The generations afterwards, however, are mostly great. Platinum was a bit boring, and I didn't bother with Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Black and White are the best; the most imaginative pokemon (I loved Klink when I first saw it), and the fact that TMs are reusable. That played the biggest part.

No more um-ing and ah-ing over which pokemon gets to learn Trick Room, no more saving hoarding never using TMs you get from the Gym Leaders because they're one-shot only. I'm still in the habit of hoarding TMs and only letting pokemon learn moves they gain from levelling up, but now I can give them entirely new movesets whenever I feel like it.

The only niggle I have with Black and White is the very nasty bug that shows up when both of your pokemon faint in a double battle. It just won't let you do anything.

The only niggle I have with Black and White is the very nasty bug that shows up when both of your pokemon faint in a double battle. It just won't let you do anything.

Uh, did you pick which one you want the first Pokemon to switch out with?

Uh, did you pick which one you want the first Pokemon to switch out with?

Yes. Then when it asks me for the second pokemon I want to switch out, and the one I want to switch it with, it freezes.

IV was a disappointment to me. I'm a lover of birds and when there's only 3 lines of birds worth mentioning (one being a total throwaway Pokemon except for his funny ability, even!), it's just a pile of ew.

The only things that made up for that batch was the Buizel line, FREAKING HONCHKROW and Chatot's chatter ability. Piplup turned into a mecha-ew-penguin-what-thingie while Starly became emoraptor, which isn't cool.

GenV regenerated a little faith with a freaking PHEASANT Pokemon (a GREEN Pheasant, no less!) a freaking STEPHEN COLBERT Pokemon, a funny looking swan and a badass vulture that wears SKULLS FOR A DRESS, needless to say I forgave Pokemon for a weaker previous generation.

On the other gens:

I - the original 151 were definitely among the most original, but felt the most mechanical as well. Its a weird situation with them.
II - I really liked this generation, felt really fresh. Was also the originator of Murkrow which is like my favouritest thing ever. (and skarmory too but I prefer Murkrow).
III - SWELLOW. GRUMPIG. Nuff said.

I hated Fourth Gen because in DP, everybody sucked, except for Paul, Ash's Rival. I liked the the game, but in the Anime, it sucked. 5th Gen is prety cool though. I mean Team Rocket got 10 ntimes smarter and know how to break into the security systems.

I don't like Gen III much. I think that's when the Pokemon designs started to take an overall turn for the worse, and the style of the overworld really bugs me for some reason. (Admittedly, I haven't really played Gen III much.)

Gen III is the worst for me. It made me turn away from competitive battling because of the mechanics and many of the Pokémon were just copies of Gen I and II Pokémon.

Gen IV would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, Stealth Rock exists.

I hated Hoenn, whichever that was.

I hated gen 3 also. Gen 1 was the first and most memorable and the highest point for me cause so many friends played it. Gen 2 was almost as good really cause you saw most of the old pokemon along with some new ones and you revisit kanto. Gen 3 lacked any of the old pokemon for most of the game which was depressing cause some of us look at a new generation and want to take our old favorites into battle with the new stuff to see how we fair. The only good thing in Gen 3 was Blaziken and Swellow. The rest were crap. Gen 4 was alot better, and Gen 5 wasn't really that bad either. I think Nintendo loved Primeape and never mentioned it cause they just had to have a fiery ape and then a fiery pig as starters.

Back
Top Bottom