• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
So little time left to come up with an idea... and all I've really tentatively decided on is that I want it to me more light-hearted than my usual angsty fare which depresses me so when I come back to read it afterwards.

This could mean anything from something more along the lines of a traditional party-of-adventurers fantasy to attempted humour. Or both, though that's hardly a fresh idea. Ohhh boy, this should be interesting.

Cryssie, I want to write my Jesusnovel and um I don't think I should. Like, I really don't. So go with whatever comes to mind and rest assured that it will probably be much better than mine.

Much, much better and likely less offensive.

GUYS
NaNoWriMo has done something amazing.

If you won last year, as in you got more than 50,000 words and validated, then you should have gotten an e-mail today. They found a company that will make a paperback manuscript of your novella. It's valid six months from now.

I'm not going to print out my 2007 novel or my '06 - I want to do one this year. But wow, I was even a little teary when that e-mail came. The idea of having a novel of mine in print, even if it's private, is just amazing to me. I love writing, I really do, and I'd like to be a writer. This made me happy. :]

They found a company that will make a paperback manuscript of your novella.
Didn't they strike a similar deal a few years ago? The irritating thing is that back then the idea of getting something of mine in print seemed great, but I missed my chance. Now, I'd die of shame to have something I've written lying around in my room in print.

In the extremely unlikely event that I ever get one of my stories to the point where I'm happy to get a print copy of it, I'll probably use Lulu. :D

I don't know about a few years ago. I've only started NaNo-ing in 2006, so I don't know anything before that.

That's pretty cool, but would it be valid for the one I'm doing this year? Last year's was pretty mediocre. :/
I suppose they wouldn't be able to tell. On the other hand, that publishing stuff looks incredibly complicated; I might not bother trying.

If I ever got a print copy of anything that I wrote, everyone would ask to read it. That wouldn't be embarrassing. :/
edit: They'd probably not like it anyway; I'm planning a huge anticlimax.

One week left and I still don't know what I'm going to write.

Someone help me please.

All I have is the prologue and epilogue written in my head.

Basically, I asked myself a couple of questions:
1) What do you want to write about?
2) How will that develop into a story with characters, settings, events, etc.?
3) Is it possible to generate an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, etc. from that idea?

Then I just kind of messed with the ideas until they stuck.

One week left and I still don't know what I'm going to write.

Someone help me please.

You don't really need to know what you're going to write. I'd suggest first writing down a list of some books that you like - what you like about them, and then probably get some character names and a couple of traits for them. Really that's all you need, and maybe a general direction. I started one of my Nano's with nothing and spent the first fifteen minutes or so getting some character names. You do want to be a bit more prepared than that though.

You don't really need to know the ending, mainly because it'll most definitely change and also because you want to have some surprise at the end. It makes it more exciting.

By the way, is anyone planning to get done a lot faster? I'm going to "race" a friend of mine and aim to hit 50K Nov. 8 or 9.

Oh, man, I could never finish it that fast. With my track record it'd be a herculean feat for me to finish something in a year, let alone a month.

I still haven't decided on exactly what I want to do, either, but I'm not too worried about it. I'll probably just go with whichever idea I feel most comfortable with at first, and if it turns out I absolutely cannot do a thing with it then my other ideas will still have just enough preparation that I could pick one of them up instead. It'd be a bit of a setback, but at least my options are open and flexible.

My idea is kind of, erm, odd. My idea, to hurriedly sum it up, is that in 100 years, scientists began a new experiment to combine elements, human intelligence, and even human genes into animals and objects, creating creatures that were called "Pokemon" yadayadayada, then ten years after the experiment began, humans vanished from the planet due to a mysterious disease. 500 years later, the disease is affecting Pokemon. (The disease starts with paralysis, then the victim turns into shades of gray, then the victim shatters, like glass)

So pretty much these four Pokemon try and figure out what's going on. The disease begins to target not only Pokemon, but inanimate objects as well, including the earth itself.

Sort of dumb story line, yes. I'm planning for it to have a twist ending, which, hopefully, won't be too predictable.

Unique monsters are the only actually interesting ones in fantasy, in my opinion. I mean, it can still be a good story, but what's the point of taking someone else's idea to use in your novel?

Back
Top Bottom