• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nuzlocke Challenge

And what are rules on Must catches, as in you need to catch it like an HM Slave? to advance to the next town if you need to go to an island and nothing you have know's Surf and you caught something on each route??

Some more questions before I start:

1) If you see a Pokemon as the first on the route, run, then come across the exact same species again on said route, can you catch that instead?
2) What are the rules on HM slaves?
3) If the first thing you catch on a route is by fishing and you catch it, can you catch something else in the grass on that route?
4) Do different floors of a cave count as different routes?
5) Are you limited to just one Pokemon from a safari area?
6) What are the rules on soft-resetting for starter natures/catching legendaries/legendaries' natures?

Thanks in advance - I'm starting a Platinum Nuzlocke.

As I understand it:

1. Nope. You only get to catch the first Pokemon you see. That singular one.

2. It's advised in a NL game to catch the first Pokemon you see on every route, regardless of how much you want it, for this reason - you have to be able to progress through the game using only the first Pokemon from every route, including the teaching of HMs.

3. You can fish, but you have to catch the first thing you catch, and you then aren't allowed to catch anything else on the route, on the water or in the grass. Same goes for Pokemon found while Surfing/Headbutting and so on. I'm unsure about Gift Pokemon, but I think you're allowed one per city - so you could be given an Eevee in G/S, but wouldn't then be allowed to buy any Pokemon from the Game Corner.

4. You know when you catch a Pokemon and it's location is listed on its data? "Route 207", or whatever? With a NL game, you should never have two Pokemon with the same location. So different floors don't count, I think.

5. I think it's just the one, yeah, unless they show up as being caught in two different 'areas' on the Location data, which I don't think they do.

6. No resetting, ever. Mean, huh?

Hope that helped :)

My Diamond run is going good-ish. I just had my first casualty, but that was two gyms into the game. My team from what I can remember is...

Monferno Lv. 19
Zubat Lv. 9
Shellos Lv. 15
Luxio Lv. 17
Meditite Lv. 13
Geodude Lv. 21

Deceased:
Staravia Lv. 20

I've really got to do some grinding as soon as I get the VS Seeker.

And what are rules on Must catches, as in you need to catch it like an HM Slave? to advance to the next town if you need to go to an island and nothing you have know's Surf and you caught something on each route??

Then you lose :(

Either that, or you can make an exception and catch something that can learn Surf and use it only for Surf. Release it as soon as you reach wherever you're going, and catch another one if you need to leave again.

EDIT: Which I will probably will end up doing since water types keep on dying on me. WHY

Last edited:
Either that, or you can make an exception and catch something that can learn Surf and use it only for Surf. Release it as soon as you reach wherever you're going, and catch another one if you need to leave again.

EDIT: Which I will probably will end up doing since water types keep on dying on me. WHY

Yeah, I'll almost certainly be doing that.

EDIT:

Just got to Jubilife (and returned to Twinleaf to catch a Magikarp). Have a look at this.

Team:

Muezzin (Shinx) - Lv. 7
Ursprache (Magikarp) - Lv. 4

Dead:

Parabola (Chimchar) - Lv. 6, died to a Youngster's Bidoof's Tackle, which was a critical hit.

Did I mention that my Shinx's nature is Bold and my Magikarp's is Timid?

FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Last edited:
I'm obsessed with Nuzlockes currently. I failed the LG play I started about a week ago, but I'm progressing with my Crystal:

Oxford [Venonat] - level 14
Stirling [Geodude] - level 16
Cardiff [Totodile] - level 16
Birmingham [Pidgey] - level 17
Brighton [Jigglypuff] - level 12

Dead:

Leeds [Zubat] - level 14

;~; Lost Leeds to a Rollouting Marill outside Goldenrod. Gutted. Probably won't keep Brighton, just keeping him around until I get something better.

Last edited:
Then you lose :(

Are you not allowed an HM slave as long as you never ever battle with it?

YOSHIYA'S MAGICAL BLACK NUZLOCKE

Name: Yosh
Badges: 1

Snivy - Sebastian, M, lv.14 - Tackle, Leer, Vine Whip, Wrap - Nuvema Town
Panpour - Mickey, M, lv. 11 - Scratch, Leer, Lick, Water Gun - Dreamyard
Patrat - Phill, M, lv.8 - Tackle, Leer, Bite, Bide - Route 1

Deceased
Purrloin - Sylvester, M, lv.6 - Scratch, Growl, Assist - Route 2

Are you not allowed an HM slave as long as you never ever battle with it?

Nope. A team member is a team member, HM slave or not -- you must have obtained the HM slave in means following the Nuzlocke rules.

The point of Nuzlocke is so that you'll grow attached to pokemon you usually won't like, such as the ones one would use for HM slaves.

I'm doing it on Crystal... I just got to Violet City.

[Violet] Chikorita (M) - L9
[Cream] Pidgey (M) - L9
[Sparkles] Metapod (F) - L8
[Sol] Hoothoot (M) - L5
EDIT: [Bother] Geodude (M) - L3 (Just caught after I posted this)

Am I allowed to save Sol for if Cream "dies?" Or do I have to use him now, since I caught him?

Last edited:
OK, thanks!

More updates. Just finished the Violet gym:

(Violet) Chikorita [M] - L14
(Sparkles) Butterfree [F] - L13
(Bother) Geodude [M] - L13
(Cream) Pidgey [M] - L13
Togepi Egg
(Diamond) Rattata [F] - L5

Continuing on to train a little more, boxing Diamond until I need her...

Started one on Soulsilver. Not too bad so far.

ACTIVE TEAM:
Lv. 11 Blaziking (Cyndaquil) (Starter)
Lv. 10 Shale (Geodude) (Route 46)
Lv. 10 Mufasa (Sentret) (Route 29)
Lv. 3 Yvette (Gastly) (Sprout Tower)

WAITING IN THE WINGS
Lv. 3 Violet (Weedle) (Route 30)
Lv. 5 Nibs (Rattata) (Route 31)
Lv. 4 Slith (Ekans) (Route 32)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED
None

And I must say, Sentret is adorable when following you. With any luck most of my Pokemon will be able to stick with me for a while.

Oh em gee.

Aquamarine 3DS came in the mail yesterday (and it is so perty), so I decided to commemorate its arrival with a Black Nuzlocke run.

And so, it begins!

OSHAWOTT
Slick Lv6
(Starter)

As always, I will be implementing the following rules on top of the normal Nuzlocke stipulations:
-No items are to be used in-battle.
-Pokémon are not to be trained or used in excess of gym leaders' teams before challenging them. (basically, this means I'm gonna match gym leaders in both levels and number of pokémon used)
-No "Gift" or "Interacting" pokémon will be used.

About the "only catch the first Pokémon on every route" rule: does that include Pokémon encountered before you even get Pokéballs?

I don't believe it does! At least, I don't play it that way; once I get Pokéballs, I go back to the routes before and catch things there.

Yeah, I suppose it makes more sense that way. :p

Oh also, do gift Pokémon count as your one Pokémon for that location? If so, can you not get/use it if you run into anything else first? And do eggs need to be hatched in location where you haven't already caught anything? And should I just stop asking stupid questions and just go and do a Nuzlocke however I want to?

EDIT: okay I started one it's on Platinum. :D

slef-imposed extra rules:
- may use Pokécentres upon arriving at a town for the first time. May not use them again unless all Pokémon's damaging moves have 0PP.
- only one visit to each Pokémart.
- no TMs; TMS found/gifted must be sold or discarded.
- Pokéballs only; others found/gifted must be sold or discarded.
- no more than 10 Pokéballs on hand at a time.
- no catching more than one of a Pokémon; if a duplicate is encountered on entering a route, may ignore it and catch the first new Pokémon (to avoid having 3,455,236,346 bidoofs).
- all Pokémon must be named after philosophers.

Current Party
piplup Socrates (Male) lv11
starly Kant (Female) lv11
budew Hobbes (Female) lv7
zubat Descartes (Male) lv6

Boxed (alive)
Bidoof Hume (Female) lv7

Boxed (dead)
none. (yet)

Currently in Jubilife City. Beating my rival was great; his Turtwig used six Withdraws, Kant used six Growls, and it took forever to whittle him down.
Also, Abra are even more annoying in nuzlockes. >:/

Last edited:
- no catching more than one of a Pokémon; if a duplicate is encountered on entering a route, may ignore it and catch the first new Pokémon (to avoid having 3,455,236,346 bidoofs).

I think that takes away a portion of the challenge, personally. But, perhaps there's an exemption for this that I wasn't aware of.

Anyway...

Shortest. Challenge. Ever.

Cilan took out Lillipup and Oshawott after I had already lost Patrat to N. I was hoping to use a Munna, but I forgot you don't get Cut until after you beat the first gym. So, my challenge is officially over...

Back
Top Bottom