• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you really have to use a capital, then use UV. Uv just looks silly!

Heeeeeeey guys! :D

I have an essay that's nearing its final stages of completion that's due in a few hours, so I'm not posting anything of worth, I just thought I'd say hi, and that I miss and love you all (I'm serious; I've got a bunch of OS group pictures on my wall and every time I look at them (which is often, given it's my room and I'm in there a lot) I miss this place). <3

When I'm finally done with stupid work, I'll comment, I'll crit and if I can steal my housemate's scanner, I might even post something resembling art myself. Whoo and hoo.

@Kinova: Halloween grouppic MUST SEE! And it's not even too far past Halloween so you can get away with it.

Avert your eyes.
XD Oh, dear - iirc I was trying to dress everybody up as characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas, but gave up very early on. That's Kratos dressed as Jack Skellington (anatomy ??), PichuK as a witch, Linoone is I think supposed to be 'the one hiding under your bed (teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red)' which I guess I gave up trying to portray and gave you a mask, Rainbow Rayquaza as the zombie and I think that's Salamander, FMC to the left and headless!Spaekle to the right, all meant to be caroling vampires.

According to the notes (i.e. stick men and labels) on the other side of the sheet, Kai was meant to be the fourth vampire, VPLJ was supposed to be Dr. Finklestein chasing Mewtwo, Spoon and Flareth... oh yeah, who were Lock/Stock/Barrel. And there are others but I can't figure out what I was doing so. :D;

@Kai: Woo, my Wizardmon hat. |D I'd totally forgotten about it.

@Linoone: The giant epic grouppic does sound like a pretty cool idea. Would we have some sort of time limit for getting our sections done? Like, if the person it's been passed on to doesn't get their bit done within a month or something then do they pass on what they did get done or just drop out and go to the end of the line? For it to be especially epic it probably shouldn't be rushed, but then people might lose interest in it while they're waiting? I don't know; pretty nifty idea if we can get it going, though. :3

(here be crits)

@Kai(again): Firstly, very clean lineart and shading, which is always good. The lighting does seem a bit all over the place, though, like they're standing under various spotlights or something. Also things like Magmar's tail would cast their own light, like here it would fall on Feraligater's belly area. Your trousers also seem to lack shading completely, but maybe you thought they were dark enough being black and all, which I guess is fine. I like the whole ACTION POSE thing about this picture, though - and of course the Ampharos. Ampharos love. :D

@Ice: Again with the action; makes drawings so much more interesting. :3 The anatomy seems a little off here and there, particularly on arms and legs, but the poses are good. Kini's legs should maybe be a little more spread apart to balance her weight, though from this angle they might look closer together than they really are. It's cool how the background works itself into the whole fire VS ice thing, that works well.

@Vlad: Considering you're always saying you have issues with drawing women, you managed this one really well. o_o I love her dress; the creases and the colouring you've done makes it look realistic and sort of... soft? The guy's tentacles look very slightly off to me considering where they are in the water; I think that if they were descending (and I assume they are, judging by her hair - which is well done with the underwater effect, by the way) then the tentacles would be more sort of splayed out? But then they would've stretched the picture and probably covered the woman slightly and been generally awkward so, yeah. I'd also say that their ears are maybe a little too low on their heads? They usually stretch between where the jaw ends up to level with the eye, which you have done but it looks funny with the angle. I really like the whole concept of the drawing (though the tentacles surprised me the first time I scrolled down XD) and the water effect looks cool. So, yes. Oh, and her wedding ring's on the wrong finger...? If it is a wedding ring, that is. *peers*

Scarf? o: yesss neck things *slips on*

Ohhohh, crit! :D

@Kinova: For something not done (which I smypathize with- hello folder of homework that's full of doodled on paper scraps D:) it looks pretty damn nice :D However, one thing about Kratos!Jack is that his arms are a bit too long(unless Jack's arms *are* like that auugh I forgettt) and look...stiff, I guess? The top part anyhows. Same goes for his leg, the one stretching slightly up. I think there should be a bit of a joint I suppose, so we can tell there's a knee. The expression on PichuK and Linooney's face(the eyes in particular, look shiny, and eye like), though, very good job there.

@Vlad: Hahah, oh god. Can I just say I really admire your attention to detail man? o: like the mascara coming off under the water and just how the dress bends underwater there. However, looking closer at her ear...where does it end, exactly? The only way I could really tell is by the little earring. Like Kinova said, it could be just because of the angle, but yeah. Kinda hard to make out (but ehhh I spend most of the time squinting at sceens anyway, half blind pffftt) What I do like is that the shading looks a but muted, as things would look underwater anyways. How do you shade like that man D:

Yes I am aware of my inability to crit well.

Alrighty, for the storybook project how about we get a list of who wants to draw a page (or pages) in the storybook. I'm considering if the coverpage would be a collab between all members, because one person drawing that page would be unfair, but doing that correctly would be extremely hard tradionally. So would you guys be up for digital? So far I have a few rules that would be for the storybook.
-The writing must be legible. It may be any style of lettering, except for 'crazy' fonts. There can be exceptions (such as a foreigner speaking), but for the most part kept it in readable English.
-Try to kept your grammar logical and your sentences understandable. There won't be any penalty for grammar mistakes and typos, but atleast give some effort with this sort of thing.
-Try not to make this overly serious. Seriousness for humour's sake is fine, however.
-Generally kept the storybook at maxium at PG-PG-13-ish range (as for non-American rating systems I don't know, so kept it where a reasonable twelve year old could read it.)
-Try to include shading or coloring your page entry, and background.
-As of now there isn't a time restiant on the page, but please be considerate of the people after you. This becomes a problem one will be put in place.
I second Crazy Linoone's suggest of drawing character references, which will be added to the memberlist once I get off my lazy butt.

As for saving OS group pictures; I'll look in to that. I don't know what site we should use, but I'll see what I can do.

So if you'd like to draw in the storybook just mention that you'd like to and I'll make a list of those people. It'd be by chronological order who draws which page.

Alrighty, for the storybook project how about we get a list of who wants to draw a page (or pages) in the storybook. I'm considering if the coverpage would be a collab between all members, because one person drawing that page would be unfair, but doing that correctly would be extremely hard tradionally. So would you guys be up for digital? So far I have a few rules that would be for the storybook.
-The writing must be legible. It may be any style of lettering, except for 'crazy' fonts. There can be exceptions (such as a foreigner speaking), but for the most part kept it in readable English.
-Try to kept your grammar logical and your sentences understandable. There won't be any penalty for grammar mistakes and typos, but atleast give some effort with this sort of thing.
-Try not to make this overly serious. Seriousness for humour's sake is fine, however.
-Generally kept the storybook at maxium at PG-PG-13-ish range (as for non-American rating systems I don't know, so kept it where a reasonable twelve year old could read it.)
-Try to include shading or coloring your page entry, and background.
-As of now there isn't a time restiant on the page, but please be considerate of the people after you. This becomes a problem one will be put in place.
I second Crazy Linoone's suggest of drawing character references, which will be added to the memberlist once I get off my lazy butt.

So if you'd like to draw in the storybook just mention that you'd like to and I'll make a list of those people. It'd be by chronological order who draws which page.

Hey, count me in. Just so long as I don't go first o3o'

@Kinova: Thanks for the criticism. I'm still experimenting with digital art, and then I wasn't adding shading to anything with a lum of 10 or less. It seems I still have much to llearn. I'd take a look at the haloween piece now but it's midnight and augh why am I still up this late?

@Spoon: Busy with exams at the moment so pit me on standby for the book.

Storybook! Count me in!

For the OS, maybe we can make a DeviantArt account just for this club and share the password between the members, and upload the storybook and other collabs there. Unless somebody has DeviantArt blocked, which then we can use, um, Imageshack or something, since Photobucket is evil.

@Kinova: I love how PichuK's surprised at Jack!Kratos. And the concept of Kratos dressing up as Jack is pretty cool.

And yay Dannichu is alive!

@Kinova: Where's the Lett? Not in the picture? Awww. D= Well, that's okay~ It's really hard to see on my computer though, 'cause the outlines are... light and I have a really bright screen. I'd crit if I could see it though.

@VPLJ: I must say, I like the facial expressions. All I see wrong here is just the torso of the woman, which looks to me, for some reason... oddly bloated. Maybe it's not in proportion to her chest or something, I'm not sure. I think it could be that the lines are very straightish. Women tend to be more curvy, and yeah, that's probably the issue. Beautiful shading and colour though, the rest is absolutely amazing.

As for the storybook, count me out. I'm not really completely comfortable with digital beyond making avvies, and when I draw things, it takes me a really long time 'cause I erase so much, so I'll probably be too slow to keep up with the pace.

I shall, however, begin work on my reference. I've been really wanting to draw it.

Spaekle rises from the ashes!

I have been doing art; oh, yes I've been doing art. I've just been doing art that I really need to work hard on, whereas in previous school years I've had plenty of time to screw around and doodle Pokemon and cartoon characters all over my sketchbook. I can only do that sort of thing very occasionally now, as it's crunch time for portfolios and when I get together everything I'd actually consider good enough to put in a portfolio I'm only halfway there. D: I kind of figured that post after post of figure studies and random observation drawings would get boring, and the place was already dying anyway.

I could get to work on a character reference, although I think I want to remodel my character a bit from the purple guy that just kind of evolved from Sho and Croagunk (Shogunk?). :p

@Kai - that's some decent cel-shading there. :] Your character is leaning over quite a bit (like, not really level with the Pokemon); I'd also try tapering the lines off a little bit, like around the coat collar and on Fearow's break and places like that. It looks a lot better when the lines don't just end abruptly. I'd say Nidoking is the best-looking Pokemon on there - the face is really good. Magmar's belly is doing this odd bulgy thing like it's pregnant or something; unless it's meant to be that way, I'd suggest getting rid of that one line that cuts it off and makes it look rounder.

@Kinova - parts of your picture are so light that they barely show up on my monitor (that seems to be a problem that's just with my monitor, can't figure out how to fix it) but Linoone and the Pikachu character in the hat are really cute.

@VPLJ - woah, octopus dude! That's awesome. The lineart on this is really nice and smooth, and I always have trouble getting it like that. :c I might suggest doing something more with the background if you're interested in improving it at all (like, I dunno, add some little fish or something), but it looks pretty good. :]

Don't feel the need to crit the Halloween one guys, it's ancient. X3; @Everyone who did though, thank you~

@Kinova: Where's the Lett? Not in the picture? Awww. D= Well, that's okay~ It's really hard to see on my computer though, 'cause the outlines are... light and I have a really bright screen. I'd crit if I could see it though.

I guess I never got around to you, among others. XD Whoops. You do feature in my stick-man-plan, though? You're, er... standing with Danni (who was meant to be dressed in an Oogie Boogie costume, iirc) and Eclipse, and holding something...? It looks like a giant lollipop. I have no idea.

I'd like to snag a page for the comic - but could I get shunted along the queue to after November, I don't think I'd be able to produce anything vaguely alright-looking on top of NaNo.

Aaand I'll get started on that reference, too.

@Speakle: Ew, drawing for fun on top of heaps of schoolwork is a pain. *sympathy* Good luck with all your portfolio stuff, though. c:

Hello I like, came back from the dead, and stuff.
Also I some how got better at drawing lol.
... And I was gone for more than two weeks, silly header.
Fff Everyone's drawings are awesome~!
I wish I could color, I've asked my dad for a tablet but I doubt I'll get one :|
Oh oh But...

@Kai: Nice~ I can't draw pokemon half as good as that, the coloring is nice and smooth, and the positions are nice, some of the eyes look wonky, but I'm guessing that's just your style.

@Vlad: The tentacles are great, and I really love the expressions, only beef with it is the ladies dress doesn't really look like it's under water to me. (I couldn't do better though :| )

@Kinova: I can't really see it, but what I can see is great x3 I can't draw pokemon so I can't really say anything XD

So uh I guess I'll post something of my own :U Everything looks better in real life, but my scanner sucks.
The elk is gonna eat chu
And then here is another waste of pencil lead
Some constructive criticism would be nice.
Oh and I made my avatar myself
Ciao

@ice Tiger: DETAIL YES. On the neck, that fur...wooow o: However, there are a few things. The neck looks too long, and a bit thick, as well. It just disporportines the body in total and looks off at first (and subsequent) glances. Also..the legs. How is it going to support the extra weight? Other than that,, it looks real nice. I especially like how we can see some neck muscle. As for the second, I don't see that much wrong except for the face below that horse, from the side it looms a bit too thin, I guess? Hmmm.
Also who's the guy in the tie, looks familiar.

aaaa finally done with that repooort. Still working on a reference, but don't expect much :/

@Ice: Wow, you've become really good at anatomy! There's something there that reminds me much of Vlad's style. Did you get tips or lessons from him per chance, or is that just self imrovement? As for the avatar, It looks good, although I'm uncertain of the shading on the boat.

Also, thanks for all of the criticism, guys.

Linoone did this this instead of her homework.

Well, at least you guys know how to draw linoones now.

Ahem. Comments.

@Spaekle: Welcome back! Good luck on your portfolio and stuff; I hear that art students have it tough because the good art schools are really selective. But believe in yourself! We'll be rooting for you!

@Ice: The fur on that moose is nicely drawn. I love how you even drew the folds of the skin on the neck -- it looks pretty natural. However, the anatomy is a little weird, probably because the neck is too long and big compared to the rest of the body. As for the second picture... America's hamburger-holding-hand looks a bit awkward, and I think England's hair is a bit messier than that. The horse is really nice though, especially its ears. The only problem I have with your avatar is the background. I think you should make the sky and the clouds darker in general so the lightening flashes stand out more, and it looks more stormy.

Also, since Ice Tiger brought the topic up first... I blame my scanner.

woop prepare for huge response post.

Urk, criticism. I don't see why you see that the underwater effect is horrible; I quite like it. I don't see anything wrong with the anatomy or shading, except for the woman's nose. It looks really big is all.

and oh god the suction cups how long did that take you?
At the time I'd finished it sort of recently and I usually angst over my drawings a bit, the underwater effect doesn't look too bad in retrospect :v And yeah, the woman's nose is a bit too pronounced or not shaded enough at the base, I agree.

LONGER THAN ANY LINEART SHOULD TAKE.

Also the scroll type thing with our pictures is too cool. Look at me, I'm workin' it.

@Vlad; Thanks; I did sort of draw it quickly on impulse, so I didn't put as much effort into it as I usually do. I did try drawing the fire/ice out myself, but I couldn't get it to look right :<
As for your picture, there isn't much I can say, because it's far better than anythign I could do, but uh, I think the guy's chin is a bit too pronounced?
That's understandable. Ice and fire are also quite hard to draw, I'm just saying that Photoshop effects aren't a good idea unless you use them extremely subtly and even then.
And oh come on, I'm sure you could do just as good, if not better! I'm just picky and horrid so I don't leave a picture until it fulfills my current level of quality. The chin does look a bit odd but could you specify why it looks pronounced? I don't really see it. I do think I ought to have shaded under his lip more.

And pfff Vlad looks so adorable in the scroll-thing. His expression is <3
;D

@Vlad: The underwater effect is awesome what are you talking about :| This picture is awesome. I love the lighting, and the tentacles look like a pain to draw. They turned out rather well, too. The only problem I see is that it's not flowy enough; since they're underwater, their hair should be more spread out and flowy, if you know what I mean.
Haha, thank you kindly! It was my first time doing underwater so I guess I felt all inferior compared to the tutorial I followed or something :v Then tentacles were a bit of a pain but I quite like how they turned out, though I do agree the whole picture could use more flow.

And I'll probably draw a little ref of myself today or something. I wager it'll look like a plan for a little doll or figurine but hey.

@Vlad: Considering you're always saying you have issues with drawing women, you managed this one really well. o_o I love her dress; the creases and the colouring you've done makes it look realistic and sort of... soft? The guy's tentacles look very slightly off to me considering where they are in the water; I think that if they were descending (and I assume they are, judging by her hair - which is well done with the underwater effect, by the way) then the tentacles would be more sort of splayed out? But then they would've stretched the picture and probably covered the woman slightly and been generally awkward so, yeah. I'd also say that their ears are maybe a little too low on their heads? They usually stretch between where the jaw ends up to level with the eye, which you have done but it looks funny with the angle. I really like the whole concept of the drawing (though the tentacles surprised me the first time I scrolled down XD) and the water effect looks cool. So, yes. Oh, and her wedding ring's on the wrong finger...? If it is a wedding ring, that is. *peers*
Oh, you know I'd be a sexy Finklestein.

I know I keep bitching about my girls and this is actually one of the rare times I draw one who doesn't look too much like a man in drag. I think I'm getting better at colouring in general so I'm glad I'm not just being self-congratulatory :v
The tentacles are definitely off considering where they're going, but when I noticed I'd finished the lineart so I was all FFFFFFoh well. the whole aesthetic aspect you mention is also a reason, I wanted the tentacles to occupy their own space in the darkness more than cover up the characters. I just noticed the male character's ear is kind of weird and far away pfft.
Thank you by the by! I actively encourage the drawing of octopus people because come on. They could own the little mermaid any day, man.
It was just a random ring really. I thought adding bling would look nice since it'd give me the chance to put vivid highlights in.

@Vlad: Hahah, oh god. Can I just say I really admire your attention to detail man? o: like the mascara coming off under the water and just how the dress bends underwater there. However, looking closer at her ear...where does it end, exactly? The only way I could really tell is by the little earring. Like Kinova said, it could be just because of the angle, but yeah. Kinda hard to make out (but ehhh I spend most of the time squinting at sceens anyway, half blind pffftt) What I do like is that the shading looks a but muted, as things would look underwater anyways. How do you shade like that man D:
Thank you! I like adding little details in my big pictures and I'm always thrilled when they don't go unnoticed c: the ear is supposed to be like B here.
My style of shading is getting better overall somehow, haha :v but I got this effect by first shading normally, then doing the background and overlaying a gradient on low opacity over my finished product. It's hard to explain :c also messed around with levels and contrast until it looked cool.
Thanks a lot by the by c:

@VPLJ: I must say, I like the facial expressions. All I see wrong here is just the torso of the woman, which looks to me, for some reason... oddly bloated. Maybe it's not in proportion to her chest or something, I'm not sure. I think it could be that the lines are very straightish. Women tend to be more curvy, and yeah, that's probably the issue. Beautiful shading and colour though, the rest is absolutely amazing.
The torso looks a bit weird and I think it's probably because I made her shoulders too wide, a side-effect of drawing manly men all the time :v Her side's a bit stiff too. Thanks a lot for the compliments too :B

@VPLJ - woah, octopus dude! That's awesome. The lineart on this is really nice and smooth, and I always have trouble getting it like that. :c I might suggest doing something more with the background if you're interested in improving it at all (like, I dunno, add some little fish or something), but it looks pretty good. :]
Octopus dudes are the best and you know it. I just do lots of little strokes for the lineart and try to get it to look as smooth as I possibly can. I want to keep the background fairly simplistic so I just did some suggestions of shades for fish and water debris. Thank you!

@Vlad: The tentacles are great, and I really love the expressions, only beef with it is the ladies dress doesn't really look like it's under water to me. (I couldn't do better though :| )
I understand what you mean and I do agree, it should be splayed out more, maybe? I wish I wasn't a bum so I'd go back and correct everything, sob :c

This is already hella long so I'll post something next time with crits and some of my own stuff.

Thank you! I like adding little details in my big pictures and I'm always thrilled when they don't go unnoticed c: the ear is supposed to be like B here.
My style of shading is getting better overall somehow, haha :v but I got this effect by first shading normally, then doing the background and overlaying a gradient on low opacity over my finished product. It's hard to explain :c also messed around with levels and contrast until it looked cool.
Thanks a lot by the by c:

;D

Ohhhh, I see. Crap, I forgot some earlobes looked like that OTL

Gradient ehhh @.@ Yeah, I uhhh can't shade very well if at all and have an expired SAI tool so. Prnt Scr stuff a lot. It'll do until I can A) get a tablet pen with a not broken tip (I use the back thing. Only Paint and SAI picks up on it garrgh) or B) actually figure out how much this program costs. And then convince Mom.

Hey wait art so yeah:

uhhh I was watching Cash Cab? :D No clue, but at least some foreground to the Taxi thing there. The one on the left, the glasses wearing one yeaah. That's me, reference I guess? The shirt can be anything if anyone cares. I have a very shitty scanner but that what you get when you use notebook paper I suppose. And I'm currently trying to digitally ink this thing in, and becuase of the afformed Prnt Scr It'll end up much smaller. I guess it's all right athough way too many anatomy problems/stiffness/overall what the hellness I know. But uh hey! First WIP? :D
EDIT: What. My Sai broke, I can't acess any colors anymore.

FFFFFF damnit.

Last edited:
Linoone's been stalking this thread and she has an idea!

About the Story Book Thing, I think we should start it perhaps on January or sometime after that. Since November's almost over and there's NaNoWriMo, it'll be sort of hard drawing something then. Also, ArtMo is during December, and doing a story book on top of a doodle a day is a bit too much, I would think. So any time after that should be pretty good.

But do you guys think it would be better if there's a month of rest after ArtMo before the story book starts? Since drawing a picture a day for a whole month gets quite painful after a while, I think a month of break from drawing would be kind of nice.

@Random Typhoon: Use GIMP, yo! Although it's mainly for photo manipulation, it's a pretty good art program. I'm pretty sure it has most of the stuff Photoshop offers. Plus, it's free. I'm not sure if it works with tablets, but you can try.

I personally use Paint.NET though, mainly because I'm too used to the controls and it loads faster. Paint.NET is basically like an extremely upgraded version of MS Paint, since the controls are similar.

Hmmmm. A break would be nice, I guess (of course I doodle constantly just...dont post anything due to the fail).

Linooney, I already have GIMP. Doesn't work with broken nib so ): I'll try that there Paint.NET...now. Let's hope it works though.
Edit: Fuck yeah. Thanks Linooney. I owe you one :>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom