• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

blazheirio889

Banned
Pronoun
she
Okay, like, I keep wondering about this. Does it really make sense for never-miss moves where the reason for the never-missing is like, the user taking the opponent by surprise in some way (e.g. Aerial Ace, Feint Attack) to always hit the right thing when the opponent has clones? For moves that are spread-out or hone on to their opponent in some way it makes sense, but it's always kind of bothered me that for some reason Aerial Ace always happens to pick the right thing to fly at at unavoidable speed, or whatever.
For Aerial Ace, I recall the reason for it being never-miss is that the user just runs around really fast and slashes through all the Pokemon, dispelling the clones and wounding the real one as well (I wouldn't object to slightly decreased damage in this scenario).

As for Feint Attack, it was flavoured as the user going into a parallel dark realm or something where living creatures are much more obvious so the user could discern the real Pokemon easily. With the spelling change, though, I was thinking we might want to overhaul the flavour, so what I just said might be moot.

Eifie

oh man, good times.
Pronoun
she/her
For Aerial Ace, I recall the reason for it being never-miss is that the user just runs around really fast and slashes through all the Pokemon, dispelling the clones and wounding the real one as well (I wouldn't object to slightly decreased damage in this scenario).

As for Feint Attack, it was flavoured as the user going into a parallel dark realm or something where living creatures are much more obvious so the user could discern the real Pokemon easily. With the spelling change, though, I was thinking we might want to overhaul the flavour, so what I just said might be moot.
Cool, is there a flavour justification for Magnet Bomb (against non-Steel-types, I guess), too? (Actually, what's even with the ASB effects for Magnet Bomb...?)

MampersandF

bastard of puppets
Pronoun
any
I'd be down for overhauling the flavor on Feint Attack but I'm suspect because I've always hated it with the entire extent of my digestive track. It's got Sneak Attack for a jp name, it rather obviously doesn't involve literally disappearing.

(If we roll with that for updated flavor, I'd hazard mentioning that the clone-making Pokémon has no direct way to perceive it when a clone is gone... You could theorically go around popping each of them if you did it without the clomemaker noticing.)

ETA: The in-game description on Magnet Bomb makes it semi-clear ("The user launches steel bombs that stick to the target. This attack never misses." -- there's a cluster of them and they can most likely home in on the target if they can stick to it. And yes, the ASB flavor mentions a single bomb rather than a cluster, but this is probably because of a typo on the Gen IV description).

blazheirio889

Banned
Pronoun
she
Cool, is there a flavour justification for Magnet Bomb (against non-Steel-types, I guess), too? (Actually, what's even with the ASB effects for Magnet Bomb...?)
... uh. I guess that was just Negrek cooking up some effects that matched more with flavour? I'm going to go ahead and changed that...

We can probably invoke the "home in on energy signature" thingy. Or home in on combinations of trace metals distinctive of a living Pokemon? I like the second one better since it actually has to do with metals, but then it gets hairy when it comes to doubles. I guess I'll hold off on editing until we think of a good flavour?

Also re: Feint Attack, I also really want to overhaul the flavour because right now it makes it quite easy to do a dodge-and-attack "Faint" Attack, which makes it a lot more powerful than it should be.

shy ♡

whispers in gay
Also re: Feint Attack, I also really want to overhaul the flavour because right now it makes it quite easy to do a dodge-and-attack "Faint" Attack, which makes it a lot more powerful than it should be.
If you're referring to the priority thing Negrek was talking about in the BFA, I'm down with removing that.

I'd be down for overhauling the flavor on Feint Attack but I'm suspect because I've always hated it with the entire extent of my digestive track. It's got Sneak Attack for a jp name, it rather obviously doesn't involve literally disappearing.
Er I don't think japanese names should be a real guide for move desc., considering Sunny Day...

Last edited:

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
You can still do that with shadow sneak, right

Feint Attack is just that - a feint. It's not as quick as the other Feint move, but in return it's more powerful. It doesn't really make sense to me why it would involve the user disappearing, other than its in-game animation (gen 3/4 comes to mind).

Zekrom_B0lt

Pronoun
it
Lets use an example of 2 weeks as the dq time frame

Would the dq only be for either the challenger / or / accepter ?

& not the ref ?

shy ♡

whispers in gay
Lets use an example of 2 weeks as the dq time frame

Would the dq only be for either the challenger / or / accepter ?

& not the ref ?
DQ time does apply to the ref, but it's not a hard rule; you can't actually DQ a ref, you can only ask for an e-ref if they're over the limit, so DQ is not heavily enforced on refs. Especially because reffing is much harder than just issuing commands.

Trainer2

Pronoun
they
how is money tranfered ?

my asb information is Trainer1 however i forgotten my asb log-in information

will i have to restart ?

Last edited:
Is ASB keeping the weight-based everything for body slam, seismic toss, etc?

Seismic toss has completely different summary and description instructions, incidentally.

Music Dragon

Doosic Maggon
Pronoun
she
I have some questions regarding items and moves that interact with them.

Firstly, how does Recycle work with moves like Knock Off, Fling, Bug Bite etc? In the games, Recycle can restore items lost intentionally (Fling, Natural Gift) but not items lost unintentionally (Knock Off, Pluck, Bug Bite), and you cannot Recycle an item if it's being held by someone else (Trick, Switcheroo, probably Bestow). I'd assume it works the same in ASB, but it makes less sense here. What's the difference between Recycling an item that I Flung away versus Recycling an item that my opponent Knocked Off? What if I command my Pokémon to just drop something on the ground, can I Recycle it then?

Building on the above: can you command a Pokémon to give its item to an ally? Intuitively you'd say yes, you just have to hand it over. But then, is there any advantage to using the move Bestow instead? Though I guess Bestow still has a use in forcing items on opponents.

And continuing on that note: what about items with harmful effects, like Black Sludge or Sticky Barb? Can you command your Pokémon to just drop an item? Even if it's been Tricked onto them, for example?

Wargle

Dirty minds think alike~
I feel like the drop your item then recycle tactic has the potential for serioud abuse though, if it's a one use item like a berry or gem or weakness policy etc

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
I feel like Recycle should only apply to items that have been used or consumed somehow. Otherwise, like in the case of Knock Off or Fling or something, you could command your pokémon to just spend the action going and picking the item back up, which would likely take an equivalent amount of energy.