• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Cool, is there a flavour justification for Magnet Bomb (against non-Steel-types, I guess), too? (Actually, what's even with the ASB effects for Magnet Bomb...?)

... uh. I guess that was just Negrek cooking up some effects that matched more with flavour? I'm going to go ahead and changed that...

We can probably invoke the "home in on energy signature" thingy. Or home in on combinations of trace metals distinctive of a living Pokemon? I like the second one better since it actually has to do with metals, but then it gets hairy when it comes to doubles. I guess I'll hold off on editing until we think of a good flavour?

Also re: Feint Attack, I also really want to overhaul the flavour because right now it makes it quite easy to do a dodge-and-attack "Faint" Attack, which makes it a lot more powerful than it should be.

Also re: Feint Attack, I also really want to overhaul the flavour because right now it makes it quite easy to do a dodge-and-attack "Faint" Attack, which makes it a lot more powerful than it should be.

If you're referring to the priority thing Negrek was talking about in the BFA, I'm down with removing that.

I'd be down for overhauling the flavor on Feint Attack but I'm suspect because I've always hated it with the entire extent of my digestive track. It's got Sneak Attack for a jp name, it rather obviously doesn't involve literally disappearing.

Er I don't think japanese names should be a real guide for move desc., considering Sunny Day...

Last edited:

You can still do that with shadow sneak, right

Feint Attack is just that - a feint. It's not as quick as the other Feint move, but in return it's more powerful. It doesn't really make sense to me why it would involve the user disappearing, other than its in-game animation (gen 3/4 comes to mind).

Lets use an example of 2 weeks as the dq time frame

Would the dq only be for either the challenger / or / accepter ?

& not the ref ?

Lets use an example of 2 weeks as the dq time frame

Would the dq only be for either the challenger / or / accepter ?

& not the ref ?

DQ time does apply to the ref, but it's not a hard rule; you can't actually DQ a ref, you can only ask for an e-ref if they're over the limit, so DQ is not heavily enforced on refs. Especially because reffing is much harder than just issuing commands.

how is money tranfered ?

my asb information is Trainer1 however i forgotten my asb log-in information

will i have to restart ?

Last edited:
Is ASB keeping the weight-based everything for body slam, seismic toss, etc?

Seismic toss has completely different summary and description instructions, incidentally.

I have some questions regarding items and moves that interact with them.

Firstly, how does Recycle work with moves like Knock Off, Fling, Bug Bite etc? In the games, Recycle can restore items lost intentionally (Fling, Natural Gift) but not items lost unintentionally (Knock Off, Pluck, Bug Bite), and you cannot Recycle an item if it's being held by someone else (Trick, Switcheroo, probably Bestow). I'd assume it works the same in ASB, but it makes less sense here. What's the difference between Recycling an item that I Flung away versus Recycling an item that my opponent Knocked Off? What if I command my Pokémon to just drop something on the ground, can I Recycle it then?

Building on the above: can you command a Pokémon to give its item to an ally? Intuitively you'd say yes, you just have to hand it over. But then, is there any advantage to using the move Bestow instead? Though I guess Bestow still has a use in forcing items on opponents.

And continuing on that note: what about items with harmful effects, like Black Sludge or Sticky Barb? Can you command your Pokémon to just drop an item? Even if it's been Tricked onto them, for example?

I feel like the drop your item then recycle tactic has the potential for serioud abuse though, if it's a one use item like a berry or gem or weakness policy etc

I feel like Recycle should only apply to items that have been used or consumed somehow. Otherwise, like in the case of Knock Off or Fling or something, you could command your pokémon to just spend the action going and picking the item back up, which would likely take an equivalent amount of energy.

Is ASB keeping the weight-based everything for body slam, seismic toss, etc?

Seismic toss has completely different summary and description instructions, incidentally.

I swear we had a discussion about Body Slam somewhere and concluded it should work as it does in-game. Seismic Toss, however, is still weight-based because, no matter how hilarious the image, I don't think we should have Igglybuff tossing Steelix around for massive damage.

I've edited the summaries/descriptions for both.

I have some questions regarding items and moves that interact with them.

Firstly, how does Recycle work with moves like Knock Off, Fling, Bug Bite etc? In the games, Recycle can restore items lost intentionally (Fling, Natural Gift) but not items lost unintentionally (Knock Off, Pluck, Bug Bite), and you cannot Recycle an item if it's being held by someone else (Trick, Switcheroo, probably Bestow). I'd assume it works the same in ASB, but it makes less sense here. What's the difference between Recycling an item that I Flung away versus Recycling an item that my opponent Knocked Off? What if I command my Pokémon to just drop something on the ground, can I Recycle it then?

Building on the above: can you command a Pokémon to give its item to an ally? Intuitively you'd say yes, you just have to hand it over. But then, is there any advantage to using the move Bestow instead? Though I guess Bestow still has a use in forcing items on opponents.

And continuing on that note: what about items with harmful effects, like Black Sludge or Sticky Barb? Can you command your Pokémon to just drop an item? Even if it's been Tricked onto them, for example?

I think the mechanics of Recycle should work the same as in-game. tbh to be Recycle didn't make much sense anyway -- the difference between Recycling an item that was Flung versus Knocked Off is pretty unclear to me in-game, too??

If you just drop the item, it's not exactly /lost/, so I'd say that you can't Recycle it.

Yes, you can give an item to an ally.

Uhhh I'm tempted to say that yes, you can just drop it, since it's just like any other item, but that /does/ reduce the utility of Sticky Barb by a lot. Maybe we can modify Sticky Barb specifically so that it can't be dropped?

(I hope I answered everything!)

Should the first attempt at TruetoCheese's ref test battle give the full usual ref test prizes?

Hmm, since there was only one send-out each, how about half of the usual monetary prizes? Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why ref test battles give different rewards, so I'll probably change that in the near future?

I'd say you should be able to recycle an item if it was consumed - if an item was knocked off you can still pick it up again as easily as if you dropped it. If you fling a berry it gets mooshed up and activated on the opponent so it's kind of like you "used" it, but if you fling an iron ball it's still there.

Sticky barb in particular should... stick to the opponent and be hard to remove, yeah. On the other hand, it would take a full action to drop, and wasting your opponent's action is a reasonably powerful effect.

Iii think that's what I meant but I am not very clear so basically what allitersonance said.

re: Sticky Barb, the description says it only passes on if the opponent uses a contact move? And the opponent can just avoid doing that and (slowly) rack up damage. We could change it to if the holder also uses a contact attack?
Also, perhaps we can add a phrase saying that it can be forcibly removed at the cost of an action and some damage? iirc items don't actually take a full action to drop (though I could be wrong on that)

Back
Top Bottom