• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

...I can't actually find a record of where it says Metronome battles don't take up a slot, so maybe I was wrong there?

I feel like they shouldn't though, because since they don't award EXP or money, there isn't really much incentive for one person to start like 5 Metronome battles anyways. And it'd be a.. very tiring moneymaking scheme, for one ref to take on more than 2 Metronome battles, honestly.

Would the 10% flinch rate increase from a King's Rock or Razor Claw apply to moves with non-percentage secondary effects, like Knock Off or Assurance? What about to multi-hit moves like Double Kick and Bullet Seed? If the latter, is the flinch chance calculated separately for each hit, or for the move as a whole?

Also, do Metal and Quick Powders apply to Ditto even after it's transformed? also when do we get sig attributes back
Yes, flinch gets added to assurance etc. It's only moves that already have a flinch chance, specifically, that don't get bumped--though veekun contradicts this. Everywhere else says flinching moves don't get an additional chance to flinch.

It does work with multi-hit moves and has a 10% of flinch per hit.

Metal/quick powder stop working after ditto transforms.

Do metronome battles take up a slot?
Yes.

The idea behind slots is to try and prevent referees from getting overwhelmed, and since metronome battles still require a referee, they still take up a slot.

Metronome Battles have always taken up a slot. Should also probably stay that way; it's not that there's any risk of an exploit or anything, but as mentioned, they're still things that need referee work and referee work is a limited resource. The things that don't take up a battle slot are very much exceptions. The only two existing cases a) don't take referee work up from the existing pool (ie ref test battles), or b) are expected to take so damned long to run their course that it's not worth holding a battle slot off all the involved anyway (ie huge battle royales). (ETA: that and tournament battles I guess)

also ETA: Hmmmm, information on what exactly King's Rock and etc. affect in-game is actually kind of hard to come by, if for no other reason than pretty much every source claiming something different.

Last edited:
Well, the ref gets paid.

The battlers don't get anything because they didn't put any effort into the battle. The commands were entirely randomized; the ref could just continually post reffing after reffing without their input.

How is Smeargle's Sketch going to eventually work? Will there be some database feature for recording sketched moves?

Just imagine all the smeargle-training double and triple battles that will start popping up.

How is Smeargle's Sketch going to eventually work? Will there be some database feature for recording sketched moves?

Just imagine all the smeargle-training double and triple battles that will start popping up.
Follow-up, the database just has Sketch as it's moves. Is this because it was ripped and those extra moves weren't added, or has that been ixnay'ed?

What happens if Substitute is used while the user already has an active substitute? I'm taking for granted you're not allowed more than one at a time, but does it still consume the health and energy or anything?

What happens if Substitute is used while the user already has an active substitute? I'm taking for granted you're not allowed more than one at a time, but does it still consume the health and energy or anything?
No, the attack just hardcore fails.

The ASB Rules describe what the deal with Smeargle is in ASB. You'll find it around the bottom of the post.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The ASB rules are pretty vague about it, just saying that the system has not been implemented in the database yet. I wanted to know how it would work when that feature is implemented.

The reason for my asking about it is will i be able to accept a battle on the challenge board while the unfinished battle remains not finished ?

Tests don't take a battle slot.

Test battles don't take a battle slot only for the mentoring referee. So, Zekrom_B0lt, you won't be able to accept a battle on the challenge board until that unfinished battle is finished. Have some patience! It's normal for things to move slowly in ASB.

would Heal Block cause Pain Split to fail or otherwise inhibit its effects? this doesn't seem to be the case as of Gen VI, but I just want to make sure

There's a previous ruling on this from before gen V came out, but we may want to go back on that to make it more consistent with the games. attn: MF?

That test battle does not take up a battle slot for you since it was made before that part was changed.

Last edited:
What happens if a Pokemon uses a switching move (U-turn, Baton Pass, etc.) in a single battle? Is it just pushed backwards?

Back
Top Bottom