• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Retro Choice Pokémafia [Game Thread]

Re: Retro Choice Pokémafia [Game Thread]

Vote totals: 3 to abstain

Disturbed to be discussing what to do amid blown-up chunks of Dodrio and Clefairy, the Pokemon end up making a plan to coordinate themselves at night rather than killing someone else during the day, each of them praying they won't be the target of the remaining scum.

No one was lynched.

48 hours for night actions.

I love when night actions are all in early.

---

The sun rises hesitantly, as if it knows what has become of the group of Pokemon. On the other hand, Raticate rises with confidence, sure that the scum threat is gone or soon to be so. When he reaches the clearing where the Pokemon have been discussing things, however, he finds the corpses of all of his comrades — those of Charmeleon and Dragonair lying mangled and beaten, with Butterfree's tear-streaked cheeks the only hint to her cause of death.

It's bittersweet to be the last one standing, but at least, as an innocent, Raticate is assured that he and his friends have won. But at what cost...?

f8GXpUf.png

Zero Moment is dead.
He was scum.

fgu5wDO.png

Music Dragon is dead.
He was innocent.

nSobHG4.png

Butterfree was dead.
She was innocent.

Innocents win.

[hide=Altissimo — Voltorb, the scum leader]
Altissimo, you are Voltorb, the scum leader.
0jqfKXj.png

Your alignment is scum.

Your fellow scum are Metallica Fanboy and Zero Moment. The scum faction Quicktopic is here.

Voltorb always has a nasty, angry-looking expression on its face, doesn’t it? And it’s always exploding on things, trying to destroy them. Voltorb’s always pretty pissed off, I figure. Maybe that’s why you, a Voltorb, have decided to kill off everybody except your closest comrades.

Each night, you may select somebody to kill with the move Rage. You may discuss the decision with the other scum, but as leader, you are the one who gets to make the final decision. If you are inactive, Zero Moment may turn in the nightkill in your stead, and he will inherit the nightkill if you are killed.

Keldeo, you are Vileplume, the dreaming god.
CzUg4PH.png

Your alignment is innocent.

You have an array of different pollens, spores and powders at your disposal, able to cause a variety of unusual effects. You’re not quite sure what all of them do, but surely some of them will be useful, no? You’ll just have to hope you can pick the good ones out and leave the bad ones alone.

Each night, you may select one of the following spores, but you may not pick the same spore twice. You have at your disposal: furious, sleepy, shiny, toxic, smelly, pungent, aromatic, moist, and meaty spores.

[hide=spore effects]
  • furious spores — During the next day phase, No Lynch is not an option.
  • sleepy spores — The next day phase is skipped, giving two night phases in a row.
  • shiny spores — If the town tries to lynch an innocent, the lynch fails.
  • toxic spores — If the town tries to lynch scum, the last person to vote (other than the scum in question) also dies.
  • smelly spores — During this night phase, all other night actions fail.
  • pungent spores — During the next day phase, players may ask the dead Yes/No questions publicly in the thread, and the dead may respond (with only Yes/No, nothing more).
  • aromatic spores — The next day phase will consist of The Thing, between the two players who have posted the most text (by word count) in the thread so far.
  • moist spores — During the next day phase, if the suicide bomber tries to bomb someone, it is unsuccessful and only the suicide bomber dies, not the target.
  • meaty spores — The next time someone targets Keldeo at night, that person’s alignment will be publicly revealed at the start of the following day. If multiple people target Keldeo, only the first one to send in their night action will be subject to these spores.
[/hide]

Music Dragon, you are Dragonair, the doctor.
fgu5wDO.png

Brimming with life energy, you are a kind Pokemon who exudes a gentle aura, allowing you to change the weather and make even the most raging seas peaceful. As such, you seek to prevent the conflict that has torn the Pokemon community asunder.

Each night, you may target someone to fill with your excess life energy, allowing them to survive any attempt to kill them.

I liek Scythers, you are Omanyte, the freemason.
XyWVH5u.png

When you lift a seashell to your ear, you can hear the sound of the sea. I guess it works kind of like a telephone to the sea. Sort of. Well, Omanyte, as a sea-bound, shelled invertebrate, can pick up those calls. Think of him as Aquaman’s secretary. By giving someone a seashell, Omanyte and his comrades can communicate with that person for as long as Omanyte is alive.

Each night, you may pick somebody to give a seashell, inducting them into your freemason cult. Your Quicktopic thread is here. If you die, the remaining inductees may no longer communicate with each other.

Zapi, you are Seel, the inspector.
iJeLEnf.png

Aww, you’re a fish with the face of a cute little puppy dog. Who could ever resist playing with you and celebrating your adorability? Terrible people, that’s who. And only terrible people.

Each night, you may pick somebody to inspect. By finding out whether they’re sweet or a sourpuss, you can accurately divine their innocence or lackthereof.

Superbird, you are Dodrio, the jack of all trades.
FnbXMN9.png

Three heads are better than one, am I right? Each of your heads has a particular speciality that might be useful in sussing out the scum — inspecting, healing, and roleblocking — or, if you prefer, you might even be able to all work together just once and peck somebody to death.

Each night, you may select one of your four one-shot abilities and a target to use it on. You have one shot each of inspection, healing, roleblocking, and killing.

Metallica Fanboy, you are Clefairy, the scum suicide bomber.
19VDSpP.png

Your alignment is scum.

Your fellow scum are Altissimo and Zero Moment. The scum faction Quicktopic is here.

The sweetest exteriors sometimes mask the vilest interiors, and you’re no exception. With your compatriots, you are so enraged with the other Pokemon that you want to murder them all. And with some strategic use of Mimic on your friend Voltorb, you’ve learned how to use Self-Destruct to further your goal. The only problem is… well, the obvious problem with a Clefairy exploding.

During the day phase, you may post publicly in the game thread ”Explode (target)” (or anything to that effect; just make it clear to both me and the other players). You and the target will both die. The day phase will still continue, and the other players may still lynch if they like.

Though you can freely communicate with the other scum, you cannot inherit the nightkill if both of them are killed.

Vipera Magnifica, you are Raticate, the vigilante.
LsJHjvS.png

With your robust teeth, you can destroy any Pokemon that stands in your way. Though some may take a more conciliatory approach, when push comes to shove, you’re willing to defend your fellow Pokemon against the scum threat with brutal force.

Each night, you may select one target to kill with Super Fang.

Zero Moment, you are Charmeleon, the scum goon.
f8GXpUf.png

Your alignment is scum.

Your fellow scum are Altissimo and Metallica Fanboy. The scum faction Quicktopic is here.

Charmeleon’s quite the loose cannon, refusing to follow orders and seemingly furious at everything. Maybe that’s why you’ve joined Voltorb’s mission to destroy all the other Pokemon.

As the scum leader, Altissimo makes the factional kill each night with the move Rage. But if she is dead, you inherit it, and if she’s inactive, you can turn in the nightkill in her stead. Otherwise, you have no special powers.

Faorzia, you are Pikachu, the tracker.
f8TCben.png

We all know, thanks to the new Japan-only side game, that Pikachu is a great detective. It’s the game’s title, after all: Great Detective Pikachu! Clearly, Pikachu must have well-honed, expert detective powers.

Each night, you may select somebody to keep an eye on. At the end of the night, you’ll receive a report on who (if anybody) they targeted with their night action.

Butterfree, you are Butterfree, the lover.
nSobHG4.png

Ah, the life of a Butterfree is one of short but intense romance! Butterflies only live a few weeks or months after pupating, after all, so finding a mate is imperative. And once you’ve found one, why, you’ll just have to protect each other at all costs. Love makes you do crazy things, after all.

Before this first night is over, please select another player to become your lover.

For the rest of the game, if either you or your lover dies, the other will commit suicide in despair. Your goal is for both of you to survive to the end of the game. If you are both innocent, you may win with the rest of the innocents. If your lover is scum, your only win condition is for the two of you to be the only players remaining on either side.

I've set up a Quicktopic for the lovers here.
[/hide]

[hide=Night Zero/Day One]Initial business

Butterfree/Lover selects Music Dragon/Doctor as her lover

Night Zero

Altissimo/Scum leader targets ILS
Keldeo/Dreaming god uses the aromatic spore (fails, since no one has posted yet)
Music Dragon/Doctor targets Butterfree
ILS/Freemason targets Butterfree
Zapi/Inspector targets Keldeo; result: innocent
Superbird/Jack of all trades abstains from acting
Metallica Fanboy/Scum suicide bomber has no night action
VM/Vigilante abstains from using his power
Zero Moment/Scum goon has no night action
Faorzia/Tracker targets Music Dragon; result: Butterfree
Butterfree/Lover has no night action

Results:

ILS is killed
Butterfree is recruited into the freemasons

Zapi gets inspection results (innocent) for Keldeo
Faorzia gets tracker results (targeted Butterfree) for Music Dragon

Day One

No lynch
Night One

Altissimo/Scum leader is absent due to IRL circumstances she’s warned us about in advance, and thus doesn’t get penalized
Keldeo/Dreaming god uses the shiny spore (prevents lynch of an innocent in the next day)
Zapi/Inspector targets Faorzia; result: innocent
Superbird/Jack of all trades uses inspection on Music Dragon; result: innocent
Zero Moment/Scum goon uses the nightkill on Zapi
Faorzia/Tracker targets MF; result: did not target anyone

Results:

Zapi is killed

Zapi gets inspection results (innocent) for Faorzia
Faorzia gets tracker results (targeted no one) for Metallica Fanboy
Superbird gets inspection results (innocent) for Music Dragon

Day Two

No lynch
Night Two

Altissimo/Scum leader targets Keldeo
Keldeo/Dreaming god uses the meaty spore (flips the next person to target Keldeo)
Superbird/Jack of all trades uses X on X
Zero Moment/Scum goon has no night action
Faorzia/Tracker targets VM; result: did not target anyone

Results:

Keldeo is killed
Altissimo flips scum publicly in the thread due to the meaty spore

Faorzia gets tracker results (targeted no one) for VM

Superbird is WARNED for not turning in a night action

Day Three

Altissimo is lynched
Night Three

Superbird/Jack of all trades uses roleblocking on VM
Zero Moment/Scum goon targets Faorzia
Faorzia/Tracker targets Metallica Fanboy; result: did not target anyone

Results:

Faorzia is killed

Faorzia gets tracker results (targeted no one) for Metallica Fanboy

Day Four

Metallia Fanboy explodes onto Superbird.

No lynch
Night Four

VM/Vigilante targets Zero Moment
Zero Moment/Scum goon targets Music Dragon

Results:

Zero Moment is killed
Music Dragon is killed
Butterfree is killed because lovers[/hide]

I realized around the first Day or so that I'd probably slanted the setup a bit too much in favor of the innocents, but the scum played a very good game (including managing to kill both inforoles before any info could be shared) and I honestly thought they would win until Butterfree and VM's plans in the last Day phase.

This was fun! We should do this again sometime, but I think I'll let some ideas marinate in my head for awhile first. Probably until after the next MFia, assuming that happens soon.

VM i hate you so much

also i hate being mafia!!!!!! there's a reason i didnt fight when i was getting lynched and that's because i JUST expended all my energy on villain team mafia and i was too exhausted to care

1/10 it was saved by the beautiful shitposts and goanimate videos
VM even though i hate you please make another goanimate

Incidentally, the seven "traditional" roles I mentioned at the start of the game were scum leader, scum goon, inspector, doctor, vig, lover and jack of all trades, because those are all on the list of roles Butterfree included in the "Mafia Rules" thread we've had since the distant old days of 2010. (Well, except jack of all trades, but I distinctly remember it being one of the staple TCoD roles from when I regularly played here like 5+ years ago, so I also included it under the "traditional" umbrella.)

I haven't seen tracker used that often here, at least in the games I've played in recently, and terrorist also seems to have gone out of style since the old days of TCoD, so those were the other two "less traditional" roles along with freemason recruiter and dreaming god.

---

Also, for the record, I didn't manipulate the role-assignment RNG at all. It really did make Altissimo scum and ILS freemason right after they'd both just had those roles.

I'm very disappointed that I didn't get the opportunity to tiebreak between VM and ZM, because then I would have voted for a mafia win just so I could murder VM hilariously.

A freemason without a cult >:(

And I skimmed the thread and technically I reprised my role from Villanous Team Mafia; I just got killed before I could do anything >:( welp, suitable revenge from Alti since she got so pissed at me last time for not saying her fake claim. :3

Whew! I've got to admit, I was wayyyy more suspicious of VM there at the end and had actually written up a post with a bolded lynch vote for him when I thought of the other plan and decided to post that instead just to be safe. Good thing I did. Even if we had to nobly give our lives for the cause, sniff.

Whew! I've got to admit, I was wayyyy more suspicious of VM there at the end and had actually written up a post with a bolded lynch vote for him when I thought of the other plan and decided to post that instead just to be safe. Good thing I did. Even if we had to nobly give our lives for the cause, sniff.

I hate you too

I was SO excited to be inspector this game and so disappointed that I got killed before I could do anything! : ( Either the RNGods really do hate me or some of y'all have some damn good intuition.

Regardless, I had a lot of fun reading this thread, mostly due to VM and MD's contributions. I feel like I can die happy knowing that a goanimate rendition of myself has been featured in a loss.jpg parody

I feel there's only one thing left to say.

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

Well! What I said about this game being worth losing is still true, even if I was pretensely acting defeatist on that last post in order to frame VM more thorougly.

It's already been linked in the role PMs, but just for added visibility, our quicktopic was here. The bottom line is that I was wary of Town potentially having an additional protective role aside from Doctor, so we started out targeting players unlikely to be protected promptly, in hopes of weeding out some protective roles that way. And yet, the only new player we spared was Town's only protection role, so that went well, clearly. Keldeo getting that ridiculously lucky with the spores was probably the worst of our setbacks, though; we lost both a teammate and the ideal timing to shift the strategy. I could've established myself as Dreamer on that Day we ended up using to drag Altissimo across the plaza, really.

I do have to point out that a mafia with almost no powers tends to have a hard time against a town that's all useful power roles, even if unusually getting otherwise regular mafia status made my brand of Terrorist much more powerful than the usual article. This isn't me trying to be a sore loser -- after all, we still efficiently shut down some of the worst you all had to throw at us in each Night -- but it's always worth pointing out. Still, it was nice having such an intense game even with relatively simple roles for the most part, even if it only really picked up the pace towards the endgame, so that was quite far from all bad.

Anyways, hope to see you all in the next game, whenever that ends up being! There's still not much MFia blowing in the wind yet, but at some point further down the road I might try to set up a Pokkén Tournament-themed game. Until then, though, let's see if anybody else has an interesting round that they feel like starting.

Until then, though, let's see if anybody else has an interesting round that they feel like starting.

There's just so many good usernames here though. ChunksWoman? DoublePony? MergeMustache? GolferIncrease? HonkyPeak? IrregularHernia? MongolianColon?

Someone please make a mafia choice game with roles based on these names.
I had a dream where Superbird actually did make this into a mafia game.

This was a fantastic game to spectate, A+ good work.

Back
Top Bottom