• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Snom Mafia

mfw the gms post
iu

How does this all work? I’ve never played mafia before...
Mafia Crash Course:
There are 13 players in the game, and most of them are aligned with the Town. However, a handful (usually around 1/4) are aligned with the Mafia. These players know who eachother are, and are trying to kill all of the Town members. The Town members don't know who eachother are, but are trying to kill the Mafia players. However, they have the numerical advantage, so they need to guess which people are on their team.

So how do people die? There are 2 ways: Each Day, everyone votes on a person to kill. This is Town's main method of killing the Mafia, because although the Mafia have some control over who dies, if the Town members can learn or guess who is on their team, they can always vote a Mafia out, until there are more Mafia members than Town members (in which case the game usually ends immediately).
Each Night, the Mafia secretly choose a person to kill. This is the Mafia's main method of getting rid of Town players that are finding eachother too well, or are stopping them from manipulating the voting as effectively.

The base game ends when all Mafia members are dead, or when all Town members are dead.

Added on to this, there are power roles, which can do things in the night to skew the odds in favor of their alignment. One common example of this is the Town Cop, which can investigate someone each night to see what team they're on.

@kyeugh, can you articulate what makes you like sande?
i think part of it is just that they sound towny and i don't have any meta on them, so i'm kind of just accepting that feeling at face value. i think their #187 feels genuinely like town trying to get their footing on the game, and their reactions feel real to me—in particular, i like the bit about "doesn't keldeo's question seem loaded!?" i don't think mafia goes for that in that way.

seconding

also i will probably not be around for a few hours but i'll probably return with some sort of wallreading. i kind of barely processed things yesterday lmfao

Ok, nevermind about the rep thing then. We could use the idea at some point but I think I agree that it's not important right now. And good to know it doesn't affect every vote. And yeah, I see your point about it losing spontaneity, Mewt.

i think this is going to be another game of me getting pocketed by people who sound cute inthread and then getting fucked over tbh. i feel it in my bones.
LOL. Try not to be. At least not just bc they sound cute.. Or just keep it in mind
@Ysabel, thanks! Do you feel like there's anyone you want to trust right now?
Well, there's you, Mewtini, Trebek, Kyeugh and possibly Blu and Koko.
@Ysabel - If you were mafia, what do you think you would be trying to accomplish toDay? For example, who do you think you would be picking out as the best candidate for a mislynch?
Maybe I'd try speculating things that are not super important? Or try to gain people's trust by supporting their points? Tbh I try to play as towny as possible when but without being super helpful.

BTW Koko and keldeo, you don't have to answer right now but what's the point of these qs? Specifically the one about what I do as town and what I would do as maf? Not to discredit them, but I could be lying or withholding information.

sandsnom yawns. it seems like it didn't sleep too well last night.
-----

me yesterday: i won't be able to make reads by tomorrow
skylar: i like sande's posting
me today: i like skylar's posting too. time to make a reads list

JOKES AND IRONY ASIDE i am mostly feeling this way because i'm now mostly of the opinion that Using Reps is Bad Idea, and i like how skylar and mewtini and keldeo brought up Reasonable Seeming points against it. maybe i'm just pocketed by anyone making any sense to me. i'm also starting to feel (somewhat) Good Feels about koko because of the small test they did about w/w interactions but again i think this is because anyone trying to do Solve Things And Figure Out is currently making my brain go "trust them!!!" i'm not getting the same solvy Trust Them feelings from ysabel, even though she was the one who proposed the rep idea that i liked for a while. maybe because i'm currently not thinking using reps is a good idea lmao.

i don't really have any feels on mist, and i actually curiously do not have the same Inherent Townlean on blu that everyone else seems to have (although i do have sympathy about Ice Cream Thief!). i feel like a scumchat might let one of their own into the thread to go "hey uh how do you play mafia", especially since it feels like to me that a lot of people in this game are reading blu as town for tone reasons, so i'm not really feeling that not knowing stuff is clearing julia.

i don't remember who else is in the game and i'm too lazy to go look but the fact that i don't remember just means they're all in the I Don't Have Feels section

re: using reps, i mentioned above that i don't think it's a good idea anymore, especially given the changes to the rep thing made today - and also since it's only votes on the final wagon that count for changes in popularity, which makes me a lot less scared about a bunch of people losing abilities all at once. so now i'm thinking about what we're going to do today :'D people have mentioned we shouldn't abstain today, so i guess that sounds like we should go for something...?

Tbh I try to play as towny as possible but without being super helpful
when I'm non-town (which has only been two games so not a lot of experience) but this strategy helped me seem helpful, gain credibility and blend in. Though admittedly this was a bit counterproductive for my team in my first game in that I unnecessarily helped a towny lol.

Aight, read-list time.
Blu
I feel like the flavor text indicates some kind of power role that can drag people 😯 I'd assume such a thing would be a wolf power, so maybe for now we can assume kyeugh is innocent? Just the target of mean gossip LOL
hmm fair point. Yes, maf could have targetted Kyeugh.
I like this post and I liked Blu bringing it up. Maybe wolves didn't realize or weren't sure this would come up in the flavor text, but it doesn't seem like something a wolf would feel the need to point out. In general, Blu has seemed genuine but hasn't contributed much, so I give him slight townlean. He suggested abstaining at the beginning of day. Not super AI but something to note.

mewtini
Gives me good, helpful vibes. I noted posts #99 posting your thought against Blu's suggestion to abstain and #106 which speculates about the number of mafias v towns. Again, I don't see a wolf feeling the need to speculate on this. Overall, you have been giving good reasoning for your thoughts. I'm thinking about your replies to my idea of choosing a rep, which to me sound genuine and make sense.

Keldeo
Has been questioning people. I haven't noted anything specific, but his posts have good quality to them plus he brings good points. He questioned Koko's read on him, which maybe a wolf wouldn't do, just sort of follow along. He's also been questioning everyone. I would like to see if he's reached any conclusions from his questions, though.
Have you, Keldeo? You don't have to answer right now, but maybe at the end of toDay? (I really don't know why you guys are capitalizing the D btw, but I'm assuming it's to differentiate in-game days from real days?)

*something to note from Town!me is I try to question everyone, esp people who haven't been questioned much, since this was a mistake I made in another game-- to trust someone implicitly without really questioning them.

Trebek/Kyeugh
For Trebek it's a mix of tone plus having good arguments/reasons, and for Kyeugh it's a mix of tone plus possibly the meta/flavor thing about getting the negative popularity possibly meaning she was targetted by mafia AKA not mafia herself.

i think i’m in agreement with mewt here mostly? like, i disagree with the idea on a pragmatic level but i don’t disagree with the mindset that comes up with that idea, if that makes any sense
Also this post from Trebek gave me good vibes and I think it's fair. He was talking about the rep idea btw.

Kokoriko
For Koko it's eir post analyzing Blu and Keldeo which seemed reasonable and genuine to me. But I haven't seen em as being super helpful either (still unsure about eir question at me, which could superficially mean e is following Keldeo's lead and trying to seem helpful, but it could also mean e is trying to help. (sorry if I mess up on pronouns btw..)

Sanderidge
In #187 Sanderidge feels genuine and really helpful from someone who seems shy to post. I agree with Keldeo's advice. Don't feel bad about making mistakes, we all make them. Just try your best. And the multiquote tool is very helpful. :)

So order of townvibe for me is
Keldeo
Mewt
Trebek - Kyeugh
Sanderidge - Blu - Koko

I will try to iso the rest later.

Hmmmm EOD isn't far away so I guess we should start a wagon? 👀 I got no leads right now so all I can really vibe with is voting out lurky snoms 😔

Back
Top Bottom