• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out how to come out of the closet without advertising my sexuality. This is Texas, and chances are that at least one member of my (kind of redneck tbh) family won't accept my homosexuality. I only want a few trusted people to know about it, but rumors spread quickly and inevitably where I live. I think I'm being paranoid, but... Any advice?
maybe tell the members of your family who you're sure won't spread it? or if you think they will just like... ask them not to I dunno :(

quick update on my own life: came out (third time lucky lol) to my dad & stepmum about being trans, they were supportive, my stepmum gave me some stuff to read (she's a nurse), my dad suggested I go see my doctor, I did, I start counselling sessions of some sort on the 4th of February
woohoo

I came out to my counselor today... not that it's an accomplishment or anything. You're supposed to tell counselors everything, after all.

I'm going to become "the gay kid" at school no matter how I come out. No matter how discretely I mention it, the whole school is going to know. Homosexuality is an extremely hot topic in my area right now and it is inevitable. I don't like it, but that's the way it works.

Holy crap

I just found out my childhood friend of 4 years is gay

I had no idea

My mind has been blown. :O Is this stupid, to be so surprised? I know I should be all normal and 'so what?' about it, which I am, it's just... really shocking, for some reason. :/

Maybe it's because I had a crush on him for a while. X3 I'm really happy for him, though, he sounds really open about it now that we've got back in contact again.

Still, though. Whoa.

Also, some other random guy said he was gay in Communication & Culture today. Nobody seemed surprised. The teacher said sarcastically, "Let's have a party" in a 'so what?' kind of way (we were talking about campness though, to be fair). He is someone I would expect to be homophobic judging by how... I dunno, popular he is? Most people at my school used to seem so homophobic, nobody blinked an eyelid...

Ahh, this gives me hope <3

Yeah, it happens. People you think are homophobic are generally like "lol who cares". In a similar vein I discovered someone I was in college with in my first year is gay. He was loudly, obnoxiously and violently homophobic (which was weird, since we got along like a house on fire...) and I sat next to his girlfriend in French.

He went to university (with his girlfriend) and then broke up with her and came out as gay. She's now his "best friend" ie fag hag. I laughed so hard when I found out. It's, like, "lol". TBH I suspected he was in Narnia when I first met him, but obv I never said anything because ... yeah.

We got along really well until his homophobic manner and fascist beliefs pissed me off too much. Oops.

^lol, I had that happen to me as well. This one guy who constantly harassed me about being gay is now an open transsexual. Not saying that EVERY homophobic person is gay, but it happens.

You know what I love? Coming out in such a way that only LGBT people get it.

Case in point: My Mental Health lecturer was discussing how men used to be able to admit their wives to mental asylums with no evidence, and mentioned that there were a couple of novels about it, including "a book by an alumnus from this university, but I forget her name", so I said "is it Sarah Waters?" and she asked me what the book title was, so I said that it was Fingersmith, and it was one of my favourite books (it is - I have it signed :D), and about three other girls in the lecture hall gave me a 'knowing smile', it was awesome XD

Enjoying Sarah Waters novels is the British lesbian litmus test.

I have never heard of her. *L8!!*

Being a girl sucks cocks, as does waiting for Khaos Komix to keep on with this climactic moment ahh

Being a girl sucks cocks, as does waiting for Khaos Komix to keep on with this climactic moment ahh
omg I know right Tab better not freak on us again >:/ need Monday update post-haste.

In other news I got a binder and it is too large and doesn't squash anything enough fml

omg I know right Tab better not freak on us again >:/ need Monday update post-haste.

In other news I got a binder and it is too large and doesn't squash anything enough fml

of course tom is so hardcore he'd be like AND NOW I AM A SUPERHERO or something. tom. o tom.

sucks :c I hear sizing is hard to do with binders ... where'd you get it from? I think some let you return them for sizing issues.

not even going to try and update the list of people who joined this in the like year that i've been inactive on this website for.

i came out to a friend a few days ago and he was pretty cool with it so that was nice. (though i really didnt expect him to NOT be cool with it, since he's a hardcore liberal atheist)

considering coming out to like everyone but idk if i want to yet, i know that i want to at some point in the near future just to get it out of the way since i'm sick of keeping something secret that has no reason to be kept secret beyond potential hatred and ignorance from other people. idk how i would do it either which sucks because i want to try and think of a good way by the end of 8th grade, def before the end of freshman year, just because i don't want to be like a senior in high school before i tell people that i love the cock.

any advice on how to grow some balls and just fucking do it?

of course tom is so hardcore he'd be like AND NOW I AM A SUPERHERO or something. tom. o tom.

sucks :c I hear sizing is hard to do with binders ... where'd you get it from? I think some let you return them for sizing issues.
A PRETENDER?!?

T-Kingdom who unfortunately only does refunds if you re-send the binder in its original packed state. I could have tried to fake it but the box got tossed rrr. Will probably just buy a Medium one next time :/ this one just kind of binds it too low so I have a weird tumor on top of my chest. LOOKIN GOOD BRO. Can't even wear it right now due to throat infection so build-up of fluid in the lungs would be horrible.

I hadn't told my mum I'd bought it and she found it today when I was standing like a foot away from her. lol. She looked a bit disturbed and then went back to normal and then came to talk to me and tell me she was concerned because she was afraid I'd bought PILLZ on the same site. (pills? muuum that's the other kind of tranny)
Her policy is basically 'just wait until you're overage and away from this school because college is magical acceptance land and surely no one will find it odd that you're slowly turning into a man as the year progresses'. Which is kind of. rargh. All her psychiatrist friends (including my own shrink, unfortunately) have told her transkids are too retarded to know what they want so they have to wait until they're in college so they're SURE (my convictions about something as serious as my gender will totally change in 1.5 years). Awesome.

Zim, I guess it depends on how your school is, in general. For instance, my mother doesn't want me to come out because my school's pretty conservative and she's scared they might... call me names!!! oh no I've never had that before in my life help.
If you go to a tough anti-gay school it might be wise to wait until you leave it, but if it's just mildly 'phobic and/or you've got tough skin, try to get it out with when you think is a good idea. When people are calm, you're having a good conversation, etc. Right before a test or when everyone's pissed off due to some sort of unfair decision is not the best of times. Basically, common sense I suppose. I can't give much advice since I've only come out to three people and two of those have fucked up (the thrid being my mother who just doesn't really get it I guess). If it's an open and accepting school full of normal people then you're alright.
Good luck!

Last edited:
it's only mildly homophobic really. some kid got outed recently (his sister mentioned something about it on his facebook wall and then other people saw it and found out, or something) and people make fun of him behind his back of course but really they don't say too much shit to his face. it's not totally accepting but it's not like i'd get called a faggot on a daily basis and get beaten up or anything too bad like that. i was also thinking that i'm probably just going to casually mention it during a conversation with someone or something like that. i've came out to 4 people and that's pretty much how i did it with all of them

thanksss

o tom :c i wish you had said you were a transformer

parentals are silly but also very worried
I think it's sort of important that they go wahhh and freak out, since it's how parents show they care. Cause they kinda suck.

meanwhile my mom still calls me 'princess' and 'girly girl' and wtf

I don't have the link, but there was an article in some British newspaper (I'm betting the farm it was the DM, though) a few weeks ago about the youngest trans kid (17/18, I think) getting a MtF operation funded by the NHS and the comments were pretty much split between "He's too YOUNG to know what he wants!" and "Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay because this guy wants to be a girl!". Charming. :/

On the plus side, I forget if anyone's posted this before, but I've rediscovered it thanks to my newfound love of West Wing (and, by extention, Allison Janney), and it works as a cheer-up! vid for myself...

So imagine if someone took everyone good in the world (okay, not everyone, but a decent amount of them; Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Elliot off Scrubs and way more) and put them in a hilarious, satirical, pro-gay 3-minute musical.

Last edited:
I made my sexuality (and atheism, yay for two closets) public to friends on my profile... after removing all family from my friends list, of course. My brother is the only one left because he knows and is OK with it.

You'd be surprised at how many people are liberal enough to support gay marriage in Houston, Texas, of all places. It's mainly my generation and people of various minority groups, but we have a lot of those here so it's all good. Still gonna have to deal with my homophobic older family members, but I don't care very much at this point. Being myself > acceptance from haters

Yeah, I've heard that while the Southern US states are regarded as, like, homophobia central, the big cities are more okay with it. Good for you! :D

The more I hear about people getting hateful comments from older family members, the more I'm glad I don't have any old family members (few people in my family live past 60; my oldest family member is my dad's sister, at 55), and then I feel really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom