• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we had a good bookstore in town. But even if there was I wouldn't do anything, it's awkward waltzing in somewhere and just heading to the GAY.

And I know, I wanted to change it to this but it was too big. :(

I had something to say in here and I forgo-- oh I remember now. It was sorta dumb anyways, just that like all the stores down in phoenix went HELLO LADIES oh and gentleman
yay stores in phoenix aren't dumb c:

as for gay books YES PLEASE. I've only got Maurice, Brokeback Mountain and The Picture of Dorian Gray (only works with gay-vision but Basil/Dorian is totally canon until Dorian stabs Basil through the heart and dumps his corpse in a swamp ):), so expanding my knowledge would be great. As long as they're still in print or the eBay/Amazon description doesn't make it sound too pervy I can probably get my parents to order it.
yeah i know, sob sob for not having my own credit card yet ):

oh and verne yeah it's maybe a bit weird (especially if you're straight) but if you're quick no one notices except the guy at the check-out and they usually don't care. i do this when i want to buy really embarassing kid's books for nostalgia or that month's attitude (mos that's gotten me was a wink from the cashier :v)

I remember when I bought my first gay movie at Exeter's HMV I was terrified (I was about fourteen, I think) and left without my change X3

I have no embarassment over bookshops anymore because (fun story) whenever I go into bookshops, I spend hours in there, browsing everything. When my sister's with me, she'll get really bored and eventually grab something off the Erotic Fiction shelf and start reading the sex scenes aloud until I agree to leave.

I just remembered another gay book I quite enjoyed; Augusten Burroughs' Running With Scissors. It's a memoir of his massively dysfunctional childhood, including him entering into a sexual relationship with a man in his 20s while he was about fourteen, but it's very funny. And the movie has Kristin Chenoweth in :D It's a small part, but she kisses a woman, so I'm not complaining.

Oh, and anything by David Sedaris (his books are these brilliant autobigraphical thingies) is absolutely hilarious; he's gay and often talks about his boyfriend. It's not really gay-themed, just mentioning him as part of life, and it's really very sweet - I like Me Talk Pretty One Day and Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim especially.

VPLJ, I'm nearly done with The Married Man and I think you'd quite like it. I'll probably not read it again, and I'd be happy to send it to you if you/your parentals would be okay with it.

Kid's books are for sure the best. Down in phoenix waiting for the flight to Chicago I made friends with an eight-year-old boy who never read Captain Underpants and hated Amelia Bedelia. What.

Also oscar wilde was arrested for the gay on my birthday, isn't that ironic.

I love kids books, they're the best. Theyt always have the nicest stories and best illustrations~
And I can hold better conversations with 8-year-olds than a lot of people my age. I never really want kids and some of them are annoying, but some of them are just brilliant X3

Also! You should watch this because it's amazing. It was written by the guy who wrote Hairspray and is about (and I quote): During a celebration of “a brand new bright Obama day,” pro-8 folks sneak in and put hate in the constitution — because the Bible says that gay love is a sin. Jesus (Jack Black) appears on the scene to point out that the Bible also forbids shrimp eating and encourages wife stoning. Then Neil Patrick Harris, billed as A Very Smart Fellow, reminds all present that gay marriage provides a boost to the economy. Finally, an argument everyone can agree with.

And ALSO! (this is very exciting); you know how I was saying how great Sarah Waters is in the post before last? Well, turns out she's doing a book signing at my uni tomorrow! What are the odds of that? I'm really, really looking forward to it~ :D

Kid's books are for sure the best. Down in phoenix waiting for the flight to Chicago I made friends with an eight-year-old boy who never read Captain Underpants and hated Amelia Bedelia. What.

Also oscar wilde was arrested for the gay on my birthday, isn't that ironic.
what the hell even i read captain underpants when i was little and still do

and yeah well uh
i was born two days after his birthday!
i was supposed to be born on the 16th too which would have been awesome but i decided to come out of the womb too late ugggh goddamnit foetus-self ):<

Also! You should watch this because it's amazing. It was written by the guy who wrote Hairspray and is about (and I quote): During a celebration of “a brand new bright Obama day,” pro-8 folks sneak in and put hate in the constitution — because the Bible says that gay love is a sin. Jesus (Jack Black) appears on the scene to point out that the Bible also forbids shrimp eating and encourages wife stoning. Then Neil Patrick Harris, billed as A Very Smart Fellow, reminds all present that gay marriage provides a boost to the economy. Finally, an argument everyone can agree with.
This sounds awesome and I'll totally watch it tomorrow. Thanks for the link!

And awesome for the signing event, did you have fun? Meeting an author you really like sounds really cool. I hope I'll be able to meet some of my favourites in the future, but it's unlikely :v I could probably dash to Starcon in Holland to meet some sweet Britcom actors before they die though. *consider this*

VPLJ, I'm nearly done with The Married Man and I think you'd quite like it. I'll probably not read it again, and I'd be happy to send it to you if you/your parentals would be okay with it.
Oh, I'm actually going to my local (and only) Waterstone's tomorrow to pick up some stuff tomorrow and I'll look out for the book, but if I can't find it I think that'd be a lovely idea. I'd send you something back but er I don't have anything cool apart from a metric fuckton of pirated dvds ):

Oooh, the book signing was amazing. I asked a couple of questions at the Q&A ("Is the reception of your books and the adaptions different in the US compared to the UK?" and "The Night Watch was very different to your other books; not just because of the different time period but it also felt a lot more character-driven where your others have been more plot-orintated; what made you decide to do this?" - I don't think they were phrased as well as this, though) and she was so articulate and gave long, thought-out responses to everyone; lots of the people there were English Lit students, so she talked about the process of getting her book published and things, and it was all really interesting~

See, often when I see interviews with actresses I like, or ones who play characters I love, I am bitterly disappointed because the actress is a moron and it just ruins it for me; I remember my world shattering after seeing an interview with the woman who played Eowyn in LoTR after she said "I think it's, like, totally awesome that the girls get to kick butt and stuff!" or something to that effect. But the moral of the story is that authors are brilliant and fantastic and all other synonyms for "good"; all the ones I've met are really nice, though the only ones I'd read the books of were Jodi Picoult (who liked my scarf! :D) and Sarah Waters.

And I got her to sign some books and had a very quick talk with her; I said that Fingersmith was my absolute favourite and she asked if I was an English Lit student and I mentioned I was from Devon and she said her partner was from Devon and uuuh I forget what else, but I was in a bit of a fangirly daze the whole time because she was amazing.
...I don't think I embarassed myself too much... though I didn't actually say "I think you're amazing, please marry me", I had a complete stranger tell me I was adorable, and the friend I dragged along delighted in telling me my face was the colour of my t-shirt (bright pink).

Hehe, I ramble a lot.

Waterstone's is the best shop ever. I can spend days in the larger stores and my friends and family always dread going in there with me because it's often hours before they can drag me out again. My absolute favourite afternoons are ones where I go there, buy a cool book and sit at the upstairs cafe reading it with a hot chocolate <3
Did you find the book? What else did you get?

Danni, you made me miss Waterstones. :( I wanna go back to England nao. Fricken three-level bookstore is win.

That sounds awesome on a stick as well. ^_^ I had a chance to meet a favourite author of mine, but I was (ironically) in England at the time. XD;;;

Oh, I agree, Waterstone's is definitely awesome. I can spend ages there, just browsing and reading excerpts and looking at the little kid's books and all the tapes and history books and and and ;w;

Did you find the book? What else did you get?
Yes! I found the book, surprisingly. It cost ten euro, so I bought it, hurrah. I picked up The Browning Version and Maus, and I was supposed to get Gross Indecency: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde but it hadn't arrived yet. It'll probably be here next week.
Wheee ordering books with weird titles is fun :v I'd like to buy Mein Kampf and order the Goebbels diaries too but if I did this I'd have to get a bunch of books about Judaism or Jewish history to not feel guilty as hell.

I love Waterstone's. It's awesome. Though I don't think the one in Swansea has a gay section. Probably not (since, you know, it's in Swansea, but it should have one :(), though I wouldn't buy things from there anyway.

hooray books (slightly less "yay" on the lesbianism front because lesbians are icky :( women do not go with women :( they don't go with men either. that's just wasting good men. :( )

:P

Face. Eyes especially. Eyes are just awesome in general.

I also love hair. Although I'm not picky about how it looks. I just like the potential it has to be played with. :D

Face. Eyes especially. Eyes are just awesome in general.

I also love hair. Although I'm not picky about how it looks. I just like the potential it has to be played with. :D

And pulled savagely during intercourse!

I like the torso on guys and girls the best.

Eyes.

Yeah, eyes are cool. And shoulders. And collarbones as long as they don't stick out a lot - if they do, it's one of the most unattractive things ever.

Personality is obviously more important than appearance, but freakishly skinny people scare me. o.o
I don't find very overweight people attractive, either. It's the "I take care of myself" medium that's important.

Ah.

Overweight... I think it depends.
If a person is overweight and always has been, I'm fine with it.
But the people who are just too lazy to take care of themselves are not attractive to me.

I like shoulders too, mostly thin shoulders on girls and broad shoulders on men.

Personality wise, the person has to be somewhat outgoing, since I am not,
to balance things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom