• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Math Contest

actually no shit lets be lazy

A parabola either has a maximum or minimum value.

You're up, ed'Rashtekaresket. You'll be sent out on the edge of the ellipsis, either side, it doesn't matter. Then, I want you to Bounce up. Aim to land on the other side of the ellipsis, but not so high that you touch the ceiling! When you approach the vertex of the parabola you're making (but not when you're there!), try to flail around a bit and look panicked, trying to get a bit higher in the air. When you actually reach the vertex, use Water Pulse to mark the parabolic asymptote, and spin around so the audience sees a horizontal line of water. And then presumably land on the opposite side of the ellipsis.

Bounce (up)~Water Pulse~Bounce (land)

Alright, time for simple geometry. Ace, my Herdier, will demonstrate the angle angle angle postulate--or, rather, why it does not work and is not a postulate--in terms of congruent triangles.

There are a few ways of proving triangles are congruent, if you only know three measurments about them. If you know all three sides (side side side), and they match, they are congruent. If you know two angles and a side (angle angle side, or angle side angle), and they match, they are congruent. If you know two sides and the angle between them (side angle side), and they match, they are congruent. (I will not be proving these; operate under the assumption I am telling the truth.) However, if you only know all three angles of a triangle, you cannot know for sure if it is congruent to another triangle with the same angles.

Ace, Double Team so that there are three of you. (You're fast enough, you should be able to do this.) Arrange yourselves so that you are standing in roughly an equilateral triangle, with the real you in the back, the two clones an equal distance in front and at a 60 degree angle from you. Face the one to your left, while the one to your left should face the one to your right, and the one to your right should face you. Each of you, send out a Thunderbolt at the dog you're facing, not to hit it, but to fall just shy, to show your triangle. If you can, keep it going while all of you back up, holding to the 60 degree angle. If you can't, all of you drop it, back up, and Thunderbolt again. (Basically, either do a Thunderbolt+Thunderbolt to sustain the shot, or do it once, back up, and do it again if you can't keep up the electricity.)

Double Team~Thunderbolt+Thunderbolt

Well, looks like all that

htf_imgcache_28060.jpeg

doesn't add up.

Yeah.

I'll be sure to place my addition in this contest shortly. I've been busy, and I want to cover all angles so that victory is not imaginary.

heh puns.

Don't be such a party-pooper, Blastoise.
This thread functions as a form of amusement to some people. Don't factor out the non-participants!

Last edited:
These puns are a bit derivative. I'm sure you mean well, but maybe we should parametrize our thread to limit the groans readers are going to naturally make when they go over these posts.

I'm not helping am I. Also, I vote DarkAura's post as the best pun (although she probably wasn't intending to)

But they're making me feel much more positive about my experience with this contest; my resentment is scalene down to only a fraction of what it was before! This will be just radical, and it's also an odd parallel to my obtuseness in previous mathematical relations.

Yeah, sorry. Maybe I'll allow them in a later round.

EDIT: Also, I thought you meant props like what you dress your Pokémon up as, not setting up a stage. Sorry, but nothing that excessive in props. You can dress your Pokémon however you like, though.

SAAAAAAAD

:'<

look. Look at that. You've gone and made me sad.

Now I have to think of something else. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jeez, Wargle, don't be such a jerk.

Speaking of which, my incredibly uninspired appeal:

Definition of a Jerk: The third derivative y''' is called a jerk.

Okay, so for this appeal I will use my Staryu, Yuno. I'd like there to be three lights, all in a row.

Yuno, we're going to need to "differentiate" you twice. So we're going to need three of you. Double Team to make three of you, so two clones, but I'm going to need you to combine it with Camouflage. Camouflage as you drop a clone, so you end up having three selves of you with different typings; the types themselves don't matter as long as they're different from each other. So Camouflage as you drop the first clone and the second and then revert to the beginning; if you can only Camouflage once during the combo, drop the two clones and then change type; make sure you stand in the middle then, just to reiterate that you are all different. After that, show everyone what a jerk you are by Swaggering about.

Double Team + Camouflage ~ Swagger

Back
Top Bottom