• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What instrument do you play?

What instrument do you play?

• Total voters
eh, on mine, if you take out that thing that covers the keys, it exposes the strings. if you take out the piece above that, you can play it fairly reasonably... although it does kind of suck.

Trumpet. Been playing since the age of ten. Up until a little over a week ago I had been firmly convinced that I suck at the trumpet - always getting handed second or third chair throughout middle school and high school, not having a good range of notes compared with some of the other kids my age, and not being able to play louder than mezzo piano to save my life. Never mind the fact that I successfully auditioned for the hardest-to-get-into band in the high school; never mind the fact that my band teacher actually told me (in front of the entire class) that he's never heard me screw up a scale and that I'm "money" on those scales; never mind the fact that my own private teacher says I'm good; never mind the fact that I've been complimented multiple times on my technical control of the trumpet. I was unwaveringly convinced that I sucked. x3

I also took about a month's worth of piano lessons from my mom when I was around five. Since then, though, I actually have been messing with the piano a whole lot - figuring out video game melodies by ear, playing trumpet music on a medium where it's slightly easier for me to play properly, etc. Over the summer I taught myself Fur Elise as well. But I'm not sure if that counts as playing or not.

I'm very interested in music and I'm strongly considering music as a profession.

took piano lessons for like 7 years since the age of 5, and had played classical music quite a couple of times in front of crowds of like 50-100 people. then my grandparents had sold our piano despite the fact that I was talented :/

a few years ago my parents bought me a synthesizer, but I lacked any sort of motivation by then and came out of practice, and even as a hobby it faded away eventually. I very rarely play these days, but I can still play pretty much anything (other than the more technical stuff that would require practice), even what I hear for the first time.

also used to compose music on the computer in Cakewalk Express, both for just piano and for multiple instruments, and everyone who had heard them said that I should base my future on music. but I stopped having ideas after a while for new musics, and unfortunately this synthesizer cannot be connected to the comp so that whatever I play would get recorded in a composing program (sound recording through microphone wouldn't cut it for what I want), otherwise I would've experimented so much more.

if I had better equipment, had the time and motivation, perhaps I could start a band someday as I guess I'd be a good keyboardist and would have good ideas, although I'm not sure how viable that would be, and I have vastly different plans for my future.

I haven't got a musical bone in my body. I sing a lot, but I'm really not any good. I used to want to learn to play something, but lessons are expensive :x

I play piano (since I was 4, so about 10 years now), and clarinet (since 5th grade, so about 4). I don't sing in front of people (I'm REALLY self-concious about it), but I really like to.

But when asked, piano and clarinet, piano being my main instrument. Music is how I define myself, really. It's a passion and a love, and a lot of people say I'm really good (I'm too modest/humble to say whether or not I'm good.). If there's a way to post audio clips (MP3, e.g.), I might.

Piano and clarinet; I usually can only practice in the summer. I suck at both of them :P

When I was in band, I was told I had good tone on the clarinet. That was my only asset though.

I play the violin, ukulele, harmonica, and guitar.

People say I'm really good at violin, harmonica, and ukulele, but I don't really play my guitar often.

Oh, if we're talking singing, I've been in every school choir since I was seven or eight, started singing in theater when I was ten and started actual voice lessons when I was thirteen. =D I loooove singing. A lot. I'm a soprano but I can belt pretty well. I think.

Oh, right, one of my other strong points at trumpet playing is that I'm crazy good at sight-reading. There are many people that can attest to this.

Piano and clarinet; I usually can only practice in the summer. I suck at both of them :P

When I was in band, I was told I had good tone on the clarinet. That was my only asset though.

What are you, my twin? (as far as piano and clarinet, not practice schedule or talent.)

I'm not usually arrogant/cocky, but it comes out in music :grin:

I play the flute, and the violoncello. Although it's unlikely I'll get a music degree because of the piano. First of all, my hands absolutely cannot be doing two different things for each of them, and second EVERYONE does it so I'm discouraged. :U

I can still play the trumpet a little bit. I played in my school's band since it first started in third grade up until I went to high school. I figured they'd be a lot more serious about practicing outside of school in the high school band, and my dad is a total ass and I hated practicing at home, so yeah, I gave up after that point. Up until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't touched it for over three years. :x

If we're talking singing, I am a falsetto. But I disguise my voice as mid-range tenor because I'm embarrassed by the high range and timbre. I don't like my girly voice. :(

Falsetto isn't a voice type, it's a way of singing. You'd be a countertenor. (Which happens to be the best voice type why are you trying to disguise it D< no bias here)

Anyhow personally I don't play any instruments. I took piano lessons as a kid but I've forgotten all of it. Eh. :\ I am musical though; I take voice lessons twice a week and have a range of about 3 octaves. :]

Back
Top Bottom