• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Would you be a sperm or egg donor for a friend?

Would you be a sperm or egg donor for a friend?

• Yes

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
I'd still want to name the baby, and godfather rights. My sperm makes it...my child indirectly, thus I want to name it, or atleast give it its first name.

And on another note those who are saying they'd rather have glasses over asthma, I have both and I'm pretty sure it depends on what kind of asthma they have.

Well, I probably wouldn't considering my family has a history of diseases that probably wouldn't be very great for someone else to have (i.e., muscular distrophy, heart problems, nearly everything under the sun) so I don't really think I would.

Sorry to the guys who want naming/godfather/whatever rights, but I'm fairly sure that if a woman asked you to be a donor because her partner couldn't get her pregnant, the last thing she + partner would want would be constant reminders that the kid isn't biologically theirs.

Oh, hey, I was wondering when you were going to threadshit this topic.

So, tell me, when have you seen this happen? Hmm? Yeah, that's what I thought. Listen up, before you go ahead and be a stuck up pompous ass, do you realize how valuable the sperm or egg is that's wanted? Plus, it's one less chance of seeing a child that the donor may have wanted to see. I'm fairly certain the couple receiving the donation are not going to be "Thanx lol now get out". In fact, they are going to be extremely thankful for the donation and typically will honor the naming, Godparent may be pushing it, but naming, puh. Some that are having their own kid still ask others for naming suggestions.

And what's this about not wanting to be reminded that the child isn't theirs biologically? What's wrong with that? Gee, what if the kid was... ADOPTED? GASP. Well, fuck them, they obviously shouldn't be as loved seeing as though they weren't born BIOLOGICALLY. You know what's a constant reminder (At least to you)? A white couple adopting a black kid. Not biologically their own child, but do they give a fuck? Hell no. In fact, they wanted a kid so bad they probably saved one from living on the streets.

D:

When I saw this on the index I thought it was just "would you be a sperm or egg". I had an answer ready and everything >:(

Haha, me too.

Anyway... Not really sure, because as already said, the baby would be mine but still not mine, in a way. That would be a bit weird.
Plus, I don't exactly have the best genes.

Last edited:
Am I... getting paid for this? I mean, I could just go down to any old sperm bank and give it a shot for about $25. I want to be compensated for this too, although not as much. And I'm agreeing with Valor, I want to at least have a say in the name. Or maybe I could pick his/her middle name. That might be cool too.

Hmmm... The only thing might be my mild childhood asthma, and my inability to snap or whistle well.

Why would you get paid? It's not about the money, it's about doing a favour for a friend. Your friend is unable to produce sperm or whatever and he (or she) asks you (because she cares for you as a person and would rather have a friend donate sperm than some nameless man) to give her some. It takes like, what, ten minutes?

Oh, hey, I was wondering when you were going to threadshit this topic.

So, tell me, when have you seen this happen? Hmm? Yeah, that's what I thought. Listen up, before you go ahead and be a stuck up pompous ass, do you realize how valuable the sperm or egg is that's wanted? Plus, it's one less chance of seeing a child that the donor may have wanted to see. I'm fairly certain the couple receiving the donation are not going to be "Thanx lol now get out". In fact, they are going to be extremely thankful for the donation and typically will honor the naming, Godparent may be pushing it, but naming, puh. Some that are having their own kid still ask others for naming suggestions.

And what's this about not wanting to be reminded that the child isn't theirs biologically? What's wrong with that? Gee, what if the kid was... ADOPTED? GASP. Well, fuck them, they obviously shouldn't be as loved seeing as though they weren't born BIOLOGICALLY. You know what's a constant reminder (At least to you)? A white couple adopting a black kid. Not biologically their own child, but do they give a fuck? Hell no. In fact, they wanted a kid so bad they probably saved one from living on the streets.

Shut up, she's got a point. If I received an egg donation I wouldn't want the donor meddling in my child's life. As far as the parents are concerned you aren't that child's father - you're its sperm donor. Its father is the man who raised it.

A donor should expect no place in the life of the resulting child - all you provided was half its genes, that's it. If the donor does get a relationship with the child then hey, okay, good for you. If the donor doesn't then it's no big deal; it was only done as a gift to a friend.

Shut up, she's got a point. If I received an egg donation I wouldn't want the donor meddling in my child's life. As far as the parents are concerned you aren't that child's father - you're its sperm donor. Its father is the man who raised it.

Then why the fuck would you ask in the first place? The point of the question is it being for a friend. If they're going to ask for a donation like that, they're not going to just turn around and ignore the donor. Otherwise they're not exactly being a friend.

FRIEND is the keyword. If it's a stranger, then fine. I'll probably never see the parents again. However, this is someone I'll probably see for many more years to come. If they're going to be that ungrateful after a huge donation like that, I'm going to be really pissed off.

It's a fucking name. And I'm making sure that I at least have the name I want for my own kid.

But it's not your kid, it's theirs. They're going to live with it their whole lives so they can pick the name.
I mean people often ask their friends for idea names but if anyone wanted some of my ovaries before I fuck them up/remove them then I wouldn't force anything major like a name on them.

My family on my father's side has had at least one person every generation who's suffered from some sort of mental disorder. That's a genetic vulnerability I wouldn't want to pass on.

Oh, and by the way - if you're going to help someone have a child, then, you know, you might as well let them name it. You won't be the one living together with the kid; what its name is shouldn't really be a big deal to you. Granted, the name shouldn't be the most important thing to the parents either... but the naming of one's child is a pretty important thing to some people. I still think it seems fair to let them name the baby they're going to raise.

Sure, if this person really is your friend, then he/she would probably let you have a say when it comes to the name-giving - but if you really were a friend, you'd let them do it on their own if they wanted to, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
....You could just ask them not to use the names you want to use for your own children. If they're your friends, they'll probably understand. It's not like Hunter and Scout are common names, anyway. Just saying...

I don't see why not, as long as it was a very good friend.

Who would want a baby that was half-me, anyway?

THIS POST DIRECTED AT VALOR :3

dude what

Why is it any of your goddamn business what people name their kids? Try to get them to avoid names that are simply godawful (Adolf Hitler! Schtolteheim Reinbach III! Sephiroth! Superman!) since they're your friends but why the fuck do you have the right to demand naming rights?

Then why the fuck would you ask in the first place? The point of the question is it being for a friend. If they're going to ask for a donation like that, they're not going to just turn around and ignore the donor. Otherwise they're not exactly being a friend.

FRIEND is the keyword. If it's a stranger, then fine. I'll probably never see the parents again. However, this is someone I'll probably see for many more years to come. If they're going to be that ungrateful after a huge donation like that, I'm going to be really pissed off.

It's a fucking name. And I'm making sure that I at least have the name I want for my own kid.

It's not your child. You gave them sperm. That's it. You wouldn't give someone a computer and say "Oh but you can't play [x game] on it!" (only a bit more serious)

I'm not saying they would ignore the donor, only that the donor won't have any say in the child's upbringing (in the same way that any other friend wouldn't).

Because (I'm saying it again) the resulting child is not your child. It might share your genes but it's not your child.

It's not your child.Because (I'm saying it again) the resulting child is not your child. It might share your genes but it's not your child.

It's not yours in the sense of raising it, no, but it is yours in the way of it being your genetic child. And why shouldn't the donar get a say in the name, or get the rights to be a Godparent?

It's not yours in the sense of raising it, no, but it is yours in the way of it being your genetic child. And why shouldn't the donar get a say in the name, or get the rights to be a Godparent?

Because it's not your child. It's their child, not yours. You might have provided its genes but it isn't yours. If the parents want you to be its godparent then sure, why not, but you don't get an automatic right to name the child or have any sort of involvement in its life.

No, that's not how it works. They ask for your sperm and, if you're a good friend, you say "okay sure why not" but you don't expect to be a parent to that child. You don't have the "right" to name it and you don't have to right to decide how it's going to be raised because it isn't yours.

Back
Top Bottom