• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Personality?

I'm quiet and serious around alot of people. Some people have judged me as being negative because of it. I'm actually funny and quite nice, but I only open up to people I know well.

I think I may or may not have inherited bipolarness from my mother -- I have little trouble switching instantly between happy and sad/angry. Other than that, I think I can come off as somewhat of a jerk, kind of rude or inconsiderate sometimes (usually when I'm somewhere between happy and angry...hangry?) to other people. Often I will end up annoying someone for my fun (for instance, poking their hair) and then end up pushing them very very close to the edge. I'm also not very social myself; none but one of my friends are my own entirely, and it's through them that I was able to make more. You know, befriend your friend's friends?

I also don't really care about my appearance as long as I look respectable. I don't even make an effort to barely ever comb my hair -- as a matter of fact, I think of it as a part of my personality (and whenever I do [albeit rarely] try it doesn't work anyway).

...that's all I can think of.

I think I may or may not have inherited bipolarness from my mother -- I have little trouble switching instantly between happy and sad/angry. Other than that, I think I can come off as somewhat of a jerk, kind of rude or inconsiderate sometimes (usually when I'm somewhere between happy and angry...hangry?) to other people. Often I will end up annoying someone for my fun (for instance, poking their hair) and then end up pushing them very very close to the edge. I'm also not very social myself; none but one of my friends are my own entirely, and it's through them that I was able to make more. You know, befriend your friend's friends?

I also don't really care about my appearance as long as I look respectable. I don't even make an effort to barely ever comb my hair -- as a matter of fact, I think of it as a part of my personality (and whenever I do [albeit rarely] try it doesn't work anyway).

Are we brothers? Because that is basically the exact same as my personality.

... are you fucking kidding

Do you have any fucking idea what bipolar actually is?

Switching erratically between happy/sad is usually a case of... being a teenager

I'm an Enneagram-type 2w1, ISFJ, Taurus, and water-Rooster, and though I know astrology and whatnot has to be full of shit those signs coincidentally fit me pretty well, so at least I'm pretty easy to describe I guess.

Last edited:
Well then, Poly, I am very introverted!
I love being by myself, hate being with people, I'm kinda shy, ect.
But you probably wouldn't be able to tell because I'm very silly, loud, and always in motion and other things :(

...probably not. I'm just going off the probably-flawed knowledge my mom tries to stuff into my head.
Bipolar affective disorder is a disease. It's not a good idea to go around claiming "I am bipolar" unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor. Bipolar is not some cute awkward personality flaw; that's really insulting to those who have to deal with it.

Actually, that's a pet peeve of mine I didn't mention in the other thread — people who claim to be "bipolar" or "OCD" or "depressed" or have Asperger's without actually being diagnosed with any mental diseases. Especially depression, because the way people lightly throw around the word "depressed" has made it expontentially more difficult for depression to actually be taken seriously! (When cancer kills somebody, they're painted as brave. When somebody commits suicide, they're just a selfish coward. Fuck that.)

Last edited:
Dātura;586036 said:
people who claim to be "bipolar" or "OCD" or "depressed" or have Asperger's without actually being diagnosed with any mental diseases. Especially depression, because the way people lightly throw around the word "depressed" has made it expontentially more difficult for depression to actually be taken seriously! (When cancer kills somebody, they're painted as brave. When somebody commits suicide, they're just a selfish coward. Fuck that.)

This. This so much.

Dātura;586036 said:
Actually, that's a pet peeve of mine I didn't mention in the other thread — people who claim to be "bipolar" or "OCD" or "depressed" or have Asperger's without actually being diagnosed with any mental diseases. Especially depression, because the way people lightly throw around the word "depressed" has made it expontentially more difficult for depression to actually be taken seriously!

These are good points! But, also, just to mention, there are lots of really good reasons why some people don't get diagnosed, so you can't place too much value on it, otherwise it makes things exponentially more difficult for people who can't/choose not to try to be diagnosed to be taken seriously themselves!

Also I mean do people even still 'claim' these things any more?? I know when I've personally brought up that maaaybe I found things so difficult because there might be something 'wrong' with me my family were very upset and confused and outraged... I don't really think that, in most cases, 'claiming' to have something like bipolar or being depressed would actually seem just adorably quirky, surely especially in the US.

Dātura;586036 said:
Bipolar affective disorder is a disease. It's not a good idea to go around claiming "I am bipolar" unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor. Bipolar is not some cute awkward personality flaw; that's really insulting to those who have to deal with it.

Actually, that's a pet peeve of mine I didn't mention in the other thread — people who claim to be "bipolar" or "OCD" or "depressed" or have Asperger's without actually being diagnosed with any mental diseases. Especially depression, because the way people lightly throw around the word "depressed" has made it expontentially more difficult for depression to actually be taken seriously! (When cancer kills somebody, they're painted as brave. When somebody commits suicide, they're just a selfish coward. Fuck that.)

You sound like OCD is the end of the world...

I have OCD. I've been diagnosed with it. But OCD doesn't affect my life very much, because it's weak on me. I know of people who have a really hard time because of OCD, but I'm not one of them.

Also I mean do people even still 'claim' these things any more?? I know when I've personally brought up that maaaybe I found things so difficult because there might be something 'wrong' with me my family were very upset and confused and outraged... I don't really think that, in most cases, 'claiming' to have something like bipolar or being depressed would actually seem just adorably quirky, surely especially in the US.
people do it all the time, but probably not to their family. "oh I'm so OCD" "oh I forgot to eat lunch I'm so anorexic" or people who think asperger's or any kind of autism means they're super quirky or something. it is still unfortunately a thing :C I think there are still a whole lot of misconceptions about how serious OCD or anorexia or autism etc. is/can be, so.

Okay okay, let's get this straight. Saying things like "oh I'm so OCD" "oh I'm so depressed" is different from self-diagnosing. When you self-diagnose you seriously think, and identify, that you have that disorder. You don't just throw it around as if it's a word.

As Cirrus said, there are a lot of reasons to not get officially diagnosed. One: money. Two: people who diagnose you generally just give you a test, then ask you what you think you have, and confirm it with paperwork. This means they don't assign you any disorders you might actually have but aren't aware of at the time, because they're just telling you you have what you tell them you have.

From my experience, as a person who got diagnosed after knowing very young what I had, and then realizing later I had other stuff as well - I only got diagnosed to begin with because my family refused to admit that I had those disorders and thus would do triggering things to me. The other stuff I don't have to get diagnosed because my family no longer does that, and an official diagnosis gives me nothing.

But throwing around disorders like Superbird did is super douchy and offensive. :|

Okay okay, let's get this straight. Saying things like "oh I'm so OCD" "oh I'm so depressed" is different from self-diagnosing. When you self-diagnose you seriously think, and identify, that you have that disorder. You don't just throw it around as if it's a word.

As Cirrus said, there are a lot of reasons to not get officially diagnosed. One: money. Two: people who diagnose you generally just give you a test, then ask you what you think you have, and confirm it with paperwork. This means they don't assign you any disorders you might actually have but aren't aware of at the time, because they're just telling you you have what you tell them you have.

From my experience, as a person who got diagnosed after knowing very young what I had, and then realizing later I had other stuff as well - I only got diagnosed to begin with because my family refused to admit that I had those disorders and thus would do triggering things to me. The other stuff I don't have to get diagnosed because my family no longer does that, and an official diagnosis gives me nothing.

But throwing around disorders like Superbird did is super douchy and offensive. :|

For more serious illnesses, yes, but a psychologist can diagnose you with OCD without giving you any tests. Severe OCD is as limiting as any disorder, however.

I would get strong headaches from playing Pokémon because my OCD manifested much more strongly in this game and the anxiety made my heart race and my head hurt. It didn't stop me from playing Pokémon because I (against recommendation from my therapist BTW) decided to play it anyway rather than give up on it. For me, the pleasure I felt playing the game overcame the pain I felt because of my OCD.

On a side note, my mom had high mood swings but she was never diagnosed as having bipolar disorder. I imagine you have to have EXTREME ups and downs to be classified as a bipolar person.

These are good points! But, also, just to mention, there are lots of really good reasons why some people don't get diagnosed, so you can't place too much value on it, otherwise it makes things exponentially more difficult for people who can't/choose not to try to be diagnosed to be taken seriously themselves!
Oh, of course there are legitimate reasons why people don't get diagnosed. Self-diagnosing, however, can be destructive. I can't think of any good alternatives to going to a licensed doctor and getting an official diagnosis.

And regarding your "do people still actually do that?" question: Yes, and I've dealt with people (mostly teachers) who don't "believe" in depression.

Last edited:
Dātura;586036 said:

I fully agree

I would like to point out that that was an error based on my lack of knowledge and various misinformation I have been fed throughout my life by my mother, which I mistakenly decided to trust. Thus, I sincerely apologize for my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom